Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
on a scale from 'wtf' to 'shill...'

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/technology/2015/05/01/microsoft-windows-10/index.html?section=money_topstories

this seriously feels like it was completely underwritten by microsoft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

that feel when u company circling the drain

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
It's also got some neat tricks up its sleeve that will make you think twice about Googling everything. Start typing "56 feet," and you'll instantly see that converted to meters (17.1 m). Start typing 5+6, and you'll get see "11" displayed. Type "how tall is Barack Obama," and Cortana will tell you he's 6 feet 1 inch. Type "define astounding," and you'll see "surprisingly impressive or notable."

Kind of like Cortana.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

minecraft runs fine on even low end pcs.

all PCs are low-end

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

at the date posted:

It's also got some neat tricks up its sleeve that will make you think twice about Googling everything. Start typing "56 feet," and you'll instantly see that converted to meters (17.1 m). Start typing 5+6, and you'll get see "11" displayed. Type "how tall is Barack Obama," and Cortana will tell you he's 6 feet 1 inch. Type "define astounding," and you'll see "surprisingly impressive or notable."

Kind of like Cortana.

lmao

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

graph posted:

:clears throat: IF YOU ARE NOT PAYING FOR THE PRODUCT, IT IS YOU WHO IS BEING SOLD

all those people that do 'timehop' and all that poo poo lolol so randome send my entire post history and profile direct 2 advertisers

i still feel shame for filling out one of those a decade ago

to my credit i intentionally spelled my name in another common fashion to check who got the info & i havent seen anything come of it. probbly they merged datasets with some other fuckers & fixed my obfuscation

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

on porting over apps from iOS android and web:

1. it won't launch with windows 10, the tools to do this aren't ready, except for web.
  2. android apps won't work on windows 10 (desktop), only on windows 10 (mobile, ARM)
  3. win32 and .NET only work on desktop
  4. iOS apps can be ported to anything, desktop or mobile

so you make one app work on a billion devices as long as your app is a web view, and mind you i guess it would already work on those billion devices anyway provided they have a web browser

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

winnuke.app

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yeah the "turn your website into a windows app" thing is what they did with our site after we ignored their phone calls begging us to release on windows for 2 months

they were so desperate for apps they just went ahead and made it, sent us a surface and a bunch of phones and asked our permission to put it up on the windows store

all the payments are through our site so we keep 100% of the revenue. ms just really wanted to be able to say they have our "app" on their store.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

that makes me wanna watch the keynote again and see if it was displayed during a demo of the store

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

THC posted:

yeah the "turn your website into a windows app" thing is what they did with our site after we ignored their phone calls begging us to release on windows for 2 months

they were so desperate for apps they just went ahead and made it, sent us a surface and a bunch of phones and asked our permission to put it up on the windows store

all the payments are through our site so we keep 100% of the revenue. ms just really wanted to be able to say they have our "app" on their store.
i only heard that about the windows phone apps before

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

microsoft says they now only have 14% market share, which, they say, is actually an advantage cause it gives them an "underdog" mindset. and also means a lot of cold-calling and pleading. instead of making branded pens and novelty items to hand out at trade fairs though, they made a whole tablet computer to give away like werther's originals

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

share of what

sounds way high for mobile but still kinda low for browsers

pram
Jun 10, 2001

:peanut:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wow that went faster than i thought

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also p linear decline that probably follows computer replacements in some market. out with the old xp shitboxes, in with chromebooks or something

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Snapchat A Titty posted:

share of what

sounds way high for mobile but still kinda low for browsers

i think the 14% number is based on all devices in all categories they are in, rolled into one homogeneous species of PC Smart Thing. might even include servers IDK it was part of some slide

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
well that was a brief affair

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
lmfao

this looks so bad

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

and, yet, it's an improvement

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

btw i casually mentioned windows 10 at brunch today, and many of my friends agreed that it is a piece of poo poo

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Metrication posted:

lmfao

this looks so bad

Exolore Windows

the folder icons are still the color of concentrated piss and the titlebars look like bad placeholder art

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 1, 2015

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

The_Franz posted:

Exolore Windows
hang on let me launch windows updat

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
everything about it is so disjointed

maybe more than windows 8

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the text rendering is terrible, better use Windows Feedb to let them know

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

as long as i can disable cortana and web searching and then never hit the start button again

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

well that was a brief affair

Last check didn't clear?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Metrication posted:

lmfao

this looks so bad

still can't get over how bad the "computer" icon is

like fucks sake at least make the lines parallel if you're doing an isometric thing

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

and, yet, it's an improvement

windows 8.1 update 1 is better than windows 10

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
my other problem is that all apps view is still going to be made semi-worthless by having 8 different things listed called "update" or "uninstall" without any of them being sorted into folders to differentiate them

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

those uninstallers are apps too!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sudo Echo posted:

still can't get over how bad the "computer" icon is

like fucks sake at least make the lines parallel if you're doing an isometric thing

the win 98 computer icon is both more colorful and visually appealing

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

there's about three different visual styles going on there it's really good

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Metrication posted:

lmfao

this looks so bad

does windows 10 still come with metro internet explorer

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

not much, what's updat with you

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pram posted:

does windows 10 still come with metro internet explorer

no, and desktop ie is now under the accessories folder in the start menu

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:rip:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

carry on then posted:

lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

notification pane continues to look like babby's first webpage (no screenshot because there is no prntscrn key on god's laptop)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

carry on then posted:

where it with live forever in app valhalla, with character map and windows fax and scan

• Locked thread