Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

gariig posted:

If you look at the back it's a large piece of flexible silicone type stuff that has an up-down and left-right cut. If you want to rotate it you can just take it off and flip it but the part that goes onto the vent isn't on a swivel.

Ok, I meant rotating it along the phone's long axis, rather than like portrait to landscape. Drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Skeezy posted:

It's one dude who says he has it on his Edge. Who knows if it's real.
It's real, but it's not an official rollout or a finished update. It's been posted in the T-Mobile S6 Edge forums on XDA for anyone with that particular phone that feels brave and/or crazy.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

The Merkinman posted:

Are there any good large Qi charging pads for multiple devices at once? Multiple being a Galaxy S5, iPhone 6, and maybe an iPad and Nexus 7 (yes I know I'll need to get a Qi adapter for all but the Nexus 7)

Ikea is releasing a charging pad with three spots on it within the next few months, supposedly. Photo near the bottom of the article.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31693088

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

datajosh posted:

It's real, but it's not an official rollout or a finished update. It's been posted in the T-Mobile S6 Edge forums on XDA for anyone with that particular phone that feels brave and/or crazy.

Oh word? That's cool. Hope some news comes out officially on a roll out.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I'm having battery issues with my note3 after the lollipop update. There's a process called "unified daemon (EUR)" ducking up 25% of the battery. Android O'S is using another 12%. It's also searching gps constantly.

I can kill the process, but that's not really really a long term fix. Anyone else have this problem or know of a fix?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
A couple other goons have mentioned the unified daemon thing, but I don't think there's a real fix yet; just have to kill the process.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Am I retarded for buying a phone mainly for its camera? I was going to pick up a used G3 but I think I'm going to wait a month for the G4. The sample pictures looked amazing. Granted they were landscape shots taken by a professional but they're pretty nuts.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

visuvius posted:

Am I retarded for buying a phone mainly for its camera? I was going to pick up a used G3 but I think I'm going to wait a month for the G4. The sample pictures looked amazing. Granted they were landscape shots taken by a professional but they're pretty nuts.

If that's the most important part of the phone to you and the rest is acceptable, then no, you're not out of your mind.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

hooah posted:

A couple other goons have mentioned the unified daemon thing, but I don't think there's a real fix yet; just have to kill the process.

poo poo. Thanks.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Ron Jeremy posted:

poo poo. Thanks.

You can disable Unified Daemon in the application manager as well.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Yeah I had the same issue and just disabled that app entirely. Haven't had any issues yet :iiam:

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

CaptainJuan posted:

Haven't had any issues yet :iiam:

Not a mistery. That is a process that unifies location requests for a number of weather widgets (lockscreen, s view, homescreen). It has a bug that makes it constantly use gps.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

MikusR posted:

Not a mistery. That is a process that unifies location requests for a number of weather widgets (lockscreen, s view, homescreen). It has a bug that makes it constantly use gps.
Sounds like Samsung. Probably not something they can update through play store, too.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

ilkhan posted:

Sounds like Samsung. Probably not something they can update through play store, too.

They update their system components through Samsung though, not all that different from using the Play Store.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

MikusR posted:

Googling around looks like other people have had this issue for a while... how long should it really take?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

RVProfootballer posted:

Weird. Local music or streaming? All Access? I'm just curious because I've used Play Music heavily on Nexus 4, Nexus 5, and now LG G2, and have seen several bugs the past year or two (lock screen controls/album art lagging behind by one song, some connection issue where the app will keep trying to play a song and can't, etc), but never that.

Mine's happening (and has been for about six months) from my local files. I only noticed the pattern because I was driving a lot for work and had it connected to the car via BT and hence could watch the consistent pattern of the song titles. Whilst I do like those particular songs, it was pretty annoying to hear the exact same music every time I tried to listen to my Songs list on random (mostly because I irrationally hate organised playlists - random is the only way to listen to music!).

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Lollipop update on my Tmo G3 is giving me grief.

If I leave BT on, my battery drains like no tomorrow. Switch it off, then it's fine.. :iiam:

Anyone else with a D851(Tmo G3) have the same issues?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Any Nexus 6 owners:

Does multi user work well/at all? I checked it out on my tablet and it seems much more robust than the 4.x days.

I'm going to be consolidating to one phone, but I'd like to basically have a work profile that has all the locks and stuff, and a home profile with all the daily stuff.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

Any Nexus 6 owners:

Does multi user work well/at all? I checked it out on my tablet and it seems much more robust than the 4.x days.

I'm going to be consolidating to one phone, but I'd like to basically have a work profile that has all the locks and stuff, and a home profile with all the daily stuff.

I can't speak to the Nexus 6, but on my 2013 Nexus 7 it's really good now. In the KitKat days it was unusable garbage but now it works exactly like it should and is fast and responsive. I'd imagine it'd work just as well on a phone but then I thought the phone implementation wasn't exactly the same. Like maybe it was restricted to just the primary and a guest rather than a second, persistent user? I don't know exactly.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Any other Nexus 6 dudes find taking a screenshot to be insanely tedious? Every time I do it the volume float thing pops up. I seriously just tried 10 times in a row and didn't get it.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
I don't use it but I can tell you guys my nexus 6 does let me add another user in addition to guest, I remember there was supposed to be a difference on phone/tablet as well so it's probably some other aspect.

nerve posted:

Any other Nexus 6 dudes find taking a screenshot to be insanely tedious? Every time I do it the volume float thing pops up. I seriously just tried 10 times in a row and didn't get it.

You're hitting volume down, right? You just made me try a few dozen with various hand positions and had greater than 80% success.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

nerve posted:

I've had better luck when holding the power button first, then hitting volume down.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Yeah I'm using volume down. Doing power first helped.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

nerve posted:

Not really but I miss being able to take screenshots with one hand. I cannot palm a basketball. :(

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I hadn't tried it until you mentioned it, but I haven't been able to successfully take one yet. The volume bar comes up every time, even if I start with the power button first.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mnemosyne posted:

I hadn't tried it until you mentioned it, but I haven't been able to successfully take one yet. The volume bar comes up every time, even if I start with the power button first.

Are you the black and white person on infomercials?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Dude it's hard!!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I need a new phone. Luckily, I'm due for an upgrade.

I'm having a hard time choosing between the 2014 Moto X and a Nexus 6. I absolutely want the pure android.

It will need to last me for two years. Which should I buy?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

mikeycp posted:

I'm having a hard time choosing between the 2014 Moto X and a Nexus 6. I absolutely want the pure android.

Do you want a big-rear end screen? I'm on a 5.9" now and I never want smaller, but you might like using your phone with one hand.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In addition to the screen size, there's also the Motorola additions to consider. Read up on their Assist, Actions, Voice, and Display features; I've had my X for almost a week and I'm really liking them. However, I am also missing AdAway (ad blocker), so unless you're planning on getting the Pure edition or there's a carrier version that's easily rootable, you might want to take that into consideration.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Do you want a big-rear end screen? I'm on a 5.9" now and I never want smaller, but you might like using your phone with one hand.

Kinda. I can easily go either way. I was looking at a Note 4 before I decided I didn't want more Touchwiz.

hooah posted:

In addition to the screen size, there's also the Motorola additions to consider. Read up on their Assist, Actions, Voice, and Display features; I've had my X for almost a week and I'm really liking them. However, I am also missing AdAway (ad blocker), so unless you're planning on getting the Pure edition or there's a carrier version that's easily rootable, you might want to take that into consideration.

Those are a part of what's making the decision difficult for me. For the most part they look like things I would like, but I'm not sure if they're worth getting the older phone for.

I would be getting the normal 32GB Verizon version, so it's definitely something I'm thinking about.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

hooah posted:

The Nexus 6 is a Motorola device and has Active Display, as far as I know. It's modified a bit.

I'd pick based on your hand size honestly. Hold a Nexus 6. If it's uncomfortable, get the X. Moto is good with updates, but if you want the bleeding edge, lean Nexus.

Advice does not apply to the X 2015 if it has the Snapdragon 810 as rumored. Avoid that chip like the plague.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The Nexus 6 is a Motorola device and has Active Display, as far as I know. It's modified a bit.

Nexus 6 does not have the Moto version of Active Display; it uses the stock Lollipop feature.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

mikeycp posted:

If you want as future proof as possible, the Nexus is the only choice between those two, assuming you're OK with the size.

Moto X has a poor camera and terrible battery. N6 improves on both those and has stock.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Cozmosis posted:

Moto X has a poor camera and terrible battery. N6 improves on both those and has stock.

Keep in mind that "terrible" is relative for the battery. Yeah, it's not on par with any other flagship, but coming from a Nexus 4, I can keep about the same charging habits and have a noticeably higher battery percentage by the end of the day.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

My dying Galaxy S3 discharges after a little more than 12 hours of moderate use, so anything better than that is an improvement.

Theoretically the Nexus 6 would be supported longer, due to being Google, right? At this point I'm leaning toward the Nexus, but I'll try to make a trip out to actually hold them tomorrow.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
Went from a Galaxy Nexus to a cheap LG G2 today. The bloatware sucks, but drat the screen and battery are great. 2013 is going to be a good year.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

nerve posted:

Dude it's hard!!

I had this same problem. Press them at the same time and hold them, works nearly every time.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

mikeycp posted:

My dying Galaxy S3 discharges after a little more than 12 hours of moderate use, so anything better than that is an improvement.

Theoretically the Nexus 6 would be supported longer, due to being Google, right? At this point I'm leaning toward the Nexus, but I'll try to make a trip out to actually hold them tomorrow.

Yes, the N6 will be officially supported for at least two years and probably longer. The Dev community will go far beyond that.

And in my experience with the Moto X, it's a joy to use but the battery drains about that fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Cozmosis posted:

Yes, the N6 will be officially supported for at least two years and probably longer. The Dev community will go far beyond that.

And in my experience with the Moto X, it's a joy to use but the battery drains about that fast.

Great! I'll probably go with the N6 then. Thanks a lot, all.