Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
I bought a pair of etymotic earbuds last night on amazon, will give trip report after I get them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

DrakIris posted:

I bought a pair of etymotic earbuds last night on amazon, will give trip report after I get them in.

Best ever. Problem is that they stick out far so depending on helmet ear area padding it can suck to get them comfortable.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Alternatively, $11 pair of skullcandy ink'd earbuds with a lay-flat cord and microphone button works primo for me. I have some better rubber earpiece covers so they seal in your ears and they're awesome. I run Headset Button Controller on my phone so I can pause / skip tracks at will.

If they break, whatever, they're 3 times less than the MEElectronics earbuds I bought that sounded great but were flimsy as hell.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Alternatively, $11 pair of skullcandy ink'd earbuds with a lay-flat cord and microphone button works primo for me. I have some better rubber earpiece covers so they seal in your ears and they're awesome. I run Headset Button Controller on my phone so I can pause / skip tracks at will.

If they break, whatever, they're 3 times less than the MEElectronics earbuds I bought that sounded great but were flimsy as hell.

Those were exactly what I was using until a week ago when I stepped on them shortly after getting on the bike, ripping one of the buds off, pretty solid but I wanted something with better isolation.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've posted these in here before, but these are the ones i have:

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K...rds=Shure+SE215

Probably way too expensive but they do work well.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

HotCanadianChick posted:

The great thing about being impaired is that your judgment is also affected, making yourself a terrible judge of how impaired you are.

Simple solution is to not be a douchenozzle and just avoid riding or driving under any kind of influence, whether it's booze, weed, or allergy meds.

Emotions themselves can also be impairing, so in my opinion no one should drive ever without checkups from a licensed psychologist every 5 to 10 minutes.

Trauma Tank posted:

I swear I remember a discussion a while back about this, but I can't find it. I want to get some noise-cancelling earphones as I both want to protect my hearing and be able to listen to music at the same time.

The normal mushroom-style noise cancelling earphones tend to slip out but I remember someone recommending a set of those stepped-looking ones, does anyone remember what they were, or have a recommendation for a good set that work under a helmet?

Chichevache posted:

Etymotic Isolators or Bust

I bought these two months ago and I absolutely love them. Before I had tried three or four different styles of headphone, plus the Sena, and these consistently give excellent sound quality while also protecting against road noise. They have easily swappable ear pieces of two varieties: one is the same flanged style as EX250 posted above, the other is an actual foam earplug with a speaker embedded inside of it.

The sound blocking is fantastic and I don't have to turn the volume up to dangerous levels to hear my music. For example, I can listen to Modest Mouse on the freeway without missing a beat. If you don't listen to Modest Mouse you're missing out, if you do then you already know it is a pain in the rear end to listen to because background noise can easily wash them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPhnOKmhbBw

As far as actual riding music with bass and balls and poo poo (I am not musician or audiophile, so I don't know the technical terms for that kind of nonsense) you'll still be satisfied! The Etymotics can handle bass, electronics, and all that other fancy schmancy stuff. For example: Die Antwoord sounds absolutely fantastic when you crank it till your eardrums start bleeding while you hoon like a dong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIXUgtNC4Kc&t=105s

tl;dr- These are the first headphones I have found that actually make music enjoyable on my bike. The Sena was too quiet and the music quality was absolutely terrible, in my experience. I would still recommend the Sena for Bluetooth and communication, but if you just want something to listen to then the Isolator is my one and only recommendation.

BlackMK4 posted:

Best ever. Problem is that they stick out far so depending on helmet ear area padding it can suck to get them comfortable.

I don't know about yours, but my isolators don't stick out at all.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Thanks, those were the ones. Do you or anyone else happen to know if there's much difference between the MK5s recommended and the MC5s? UK Amazon only has a single seller for the MK5s and the Etymotic website doubles the price if I want them to ship to the UK.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

DrakIris posted:

Those were exactly what I was using until a week ago when I stepped on them shortly after getting on the bike, ripping one of the buds off, pretty solid but I wanted something with better isolation.

The rubber earpieces that come with them are pretty poo poo admittedly. You can get packages of all kinds of different shaped ones for cheap that will work better. I don't really like the round type that come with them, I use a cone-shaped piece instead that holds them in very securely.

Maybe later I'll move to a Sena setup or expensive Shure phones or something but for now I like that I can get a new pair of these for the cost of lunch if something fucks up. The only thing I don't like about them is that the 3.5mm jack isn't at a 90 degree angle so it can be bent in your pocket. Placing it in the vest pocket of a jacket though it's perfect.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
If earbuds slip out (but aren't punching out your eardrums with a helmet on like the etymotic ones did to me), you might also try a slick helmet liner. It works like noggin-lube so the earbuds are less likely to pull out when you put on your helmet. Someone said they have $6 ones at Cycle Gear, so maybe give that a try.

Raci-babi.com has wicking helmet liners, and I have one and love it. If you have hair that goes all helmety and you don't like that, they also help keep your hair from getting frigged up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Trauma Tank posted:

Thanks, those were the ones. Do you or anyone else happen to know if there's much difference between the MK5s recommended and the MC5s? UK Amazon only has a single seller for the MK5s and the Etymotic website doubles the price if I want them to ship to the UK.

Looks like the MC5s don't come with the foam earplugs styled earphones, other than that I can't tell the difference.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
I have a pair of Etymotics ER-6is I wore exactly once, on a long ride. Turns out I have short ear canals and it was kind of painful. I still have them (sans the rubber bits) sitting in my desk drawer. Now I just buy foamies by the 100 cause they work for the range too.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I have tried many kinds of earbuds but have resigned myself to earplugs. Sucks. I am going to buy a cheap set of headphones and cannibalize them for helmet speakers but I don't think that is going to work well. Anyone with experience in that? I really wish that someone would make a slim NRR rated earbud. 3M does but it's some janky bullshit according to reviews.

Also what is the cheapest yet functional chain breaker/riveter? Don't care about it lasting or anything else besides functioning one time and being cheap.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

astrollinthepork posted:

Also what is the cheapest yet functional chain breaker/riveter? Don't care about it lasting or anything else besides functioning one time and being cheap.

Harbor freight. I have a brand new one sitting in my toolbox. I use it once, break it, and return it to get a new one, which goes right back in the toolbox.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Chain question:

My chain is stock, the bike has ~16k miles on it. I've had to adjust the chain (serious slack) 3 times in the last couple months. The last time I adjusted it was 2 weeks ago, and it's already making that drat clack clack noise when the chain hits the swingarm.

Is it time for a new chain? Is the chain just stretching normally because I put a lot of miles on it?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lynza posted:

Chain question:

My chain is stock, the bike has ~16k miles on it. I've had to adjust the chain (serious slack) 3 times in the last couple months. The last time I adjusted it was 2 weeks ago, and it's already making that drat clack clack noise when the chain hits the swingarm.

Is it time for a new chain? Is the chain just stretching normally because I put a lot of miles on it?

16k miles is starting to get to the age where you think about replacing the chain (they can last much longer than that, or mus less of course, but 15-20k is where replacement should start to come to mind). Certainly if you suddenly have to start adjusting it more then that's as good a sign as you're likely to get.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
Whelp...guess I get to replace the valve cover gasket while I'm at it adjusting the tappets.

Both sides, all the way around seeping oil. Not anywhere near fast enough to affect consumption, but ugly and worrisome.

I'm guessing I should go to the trouble of tracking down an actual gasket, as I've never heard anything great about the 'make a gasket' kits.

EDIT: Picture massive, thumbnailed for your convenience.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You'll need to get a gasket because the make a gasket kits don't have provisions for the half circle rubber bits usually. I usually find stuff like that on eBay.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Lynza posted:

If earbuds slip out (but aren't punching out your eardrums with a helmet on like the etymotic ones did to me), you might also try a slick helmet liner. It works like noggin-lube so the earbuds are less likely to pull out when you put on your helmet. Someone said they have $6 ones at Cycle Gear, so maybe give that a try.

Raci-babi.com has wicking helmet liners, and I have one and love it. If you have hair that goes all helmety and you don't like that, they also help keep your hair from getting frigged up.

I find I can't wear anything on my head under my helmet, it just feels uncomfortable. So any in-ear buds that stick out a little won't jive my my helmet. Even the supposedly decent cheapo Monoprice ones had too much sticking out and I couldn't get my helmet on without knocking them out:

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Took my '07 SV650 out of the storage yesterday. Battery was on a tender all winter. I put it back in and got power (bright headlight, etc) but when I turned the key it never cranked and everything stopped immediately. Fiddled with the connectors a bit but I never got any kind of electricity again.

What could it be? A fuse or something?

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

internet inc posted:

Took my '07 SV650 out of the storage yesterday. Battery was on a tender all winter. I put it back in and got power (bright headlight, etc) but when I turned the key it never cranked and everything stopped immediately. Fiddled with the connectors a bit but I never got any kind of electricity again.

What could it be? A fuse or something?

I had the same sort of thing with my ninja 650. Turn the key on ecu gauges and injectors fire but firing the starter buzzed and immediately cut all power to the bike. It would power cycle and attempt again resulted in the same. Battery was on tender all winter and tried recharging it again with no luck.

Pulled the battery and got it tested at a car place and it showed up as zero cold cranking amps even tho the battery was indicating fine on the tender.

New battery later everything's back to normal.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Chris Knight posted:

I find I can't wear anything on my head under my helmet, it just feels uncomfortable. So any in-ear buds that stick out a little won't jive my my helmet. Even the supposedly decent cheapo Monoprice ones had too much sticking out and I couldn't get my helmet on without knocking them out:

The most comfortable earbuds I've found for wearing under my helmet are the cheapo JVC HAFX32B marshmallow buds, like these: http://www.frys.com/product/7860499?source=google&gclid=CLLN-NLzo8UCFYWTvQodbpAABA

They block sound about as well as foam Hearos, and don't protrude enough to have issues with the helmet pressing on then and causing pain or them getting pulled out when putting my helmet on (pro-tip, make sure when putting on the helmet to grab the straps and pull them as much as you can away from the opening of the helmet; this smushes the liner around the ear area and makes it less likely it will drag the buds out of your ears).

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Do people prefer earbuds to a communication system just because of the cost? Seems like it would be easier to solve the protrusion problem by just putting comm system speakers inside your helmet. I guess you'd need separate ear plugs to block wind noise then as well, though.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Seashell Salesman posted:

Do people prefer earbuds to a communication system just because of the cost? Seems like it would be easier to solve the protrusion problem by just putting comm system speakers inside your helmet. I guess you'd need separate ear plugs to block wind noise then as well, though.

I do both, actually. The Sena has a $5 jack for a headphone, so I use the boom mic in my helmet, and the jack to noise-canceling earbuds. I can't imagine how lovely it would sound to use the in-helmet speakers at highway speed.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Lynza posted:

I do both, actually. The Sena has a $5 jack for a headphone, so I use the boom mic in my helmet, and the jack to noise-canceling earbuds. I can't imagine how lovely it would sound to use the in-helmet speakers at highway speed.

That's what I was wondering about as well. I'm in the market for a comm system but I have a hell of a time keeping earbuds in when I'm putting my helmet on (chalk one up to being one of those lucky bastards where an XL helmet is way too big and a Large is just a bit on the small side). I was thinking of earplugs + comm set combo but I'm seeing mixed results on how well they work.

I'm tempted to go try one out from the local Cycle Gear for 7 days to see if it works, but that has to wait for next month's paycheck.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I should test how in helmet speakers plus foam plugs works, too. A friend of mine does do that and I've never heard him complain about it not working but for all I know it could be bad.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Seashell Salesman posted:

I should test how in helmet speakers plus foam plugs works, too. A friend of mine does do that and I've never heard him complain about it not working but for all I know it could be bad.

Works great for me.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

The most comfortable earbuds I've found for wearing under my helmet are the cheapo JVC HAFX32B marshmallow buds, like these: http://www.frys.com/product/7860499?source=google&gclid=CLLN-NLzo8UCFYWTvQodbpAABA

They block sound about as well as foam Hearos, and don't protrude enough to have issues with the helmet pressing on then and causing pain or them getting pulled out when putting my helmet on (pro-tip, make sure when putting on the helmet to grab the straps and pull them as much as you can away from the opening of the helmet; this smushes the liner around the ear area and makes it less likely it will drag the buds out of your ears).

Yeah, my cheapo iLuv brand ones always fit fine. For comparison:

I've wanted to try the mod where you use proper foam earplugs, hollow out the inside, and stick the earbuds in them. Sounds like a best of both worlds deal.

Eh, I still like having the analog volume control on the cord handy.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Chris Knight posted:

I've wanted to try the mod where you use proper foam earplugs, hollow out the inside, and stick the earbuds in them.

That's why I like the cheap JVC marshmellows - they already have tips made of a kind of squishy foam similar to earplugs, instead of the silicone tips. They do a pretty good job of blocking sound right out of the box.

I've got a really nice set of $500 Shure earbuds with interchangeable tips, including compressible yellow foam tips, you could try buying a pack of replacement foam Shure tips and see if they fit your phones. From what I can tell, most earbuds with removable tips have more or less the same diameter of plastic shaft to fit the tip over, so it should work.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/accessories/earphones-headphones/earphone-headphone-sleeves/yellow-foam-sleeves
(cheaper store): http://www.earplugstore.com/sheaandmoac.html

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 3, 2015

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I'm sure I've mentioned this before, so I apologize if so, but Aerostich sells sampler packs of both disposable and reusable earplugs. I've really done nothing but commuting and doing short rides so far this season, but I'm going to try some of them when I go to RoadAmerica for the MotoAmerica race in May.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I am a bit north of Columbus, OH. Right in the middle of the glacial plains so I've got nothing but long, straight, and flat roads. OH-315 between Delaware and Worthington is the only decent road I know of, but it's less than a 10 mile stretch and packed with traffic. Anyone know of anything better that doesn't involve a 3 hour ride to SE Ohio?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

astrollinthepork posted:

I am a bit north of Columbus, OH. Right in the middle of the glacial plains so I've got nothing but long, straight, and flat roads. OH-315 between Delaware and Worthington is the only decent road I know of, but it's less than a 10 mile stretch and packed with traffic. Anyone know of anything better that doesn't involve a 3 hour ride to SE Ohio?

That puts you near Delaware / Marion area yes?

Take 23 up towards Sandusky / i90. Theres some decent roads back out in there. The Putin Bay area is nice as well. If you go any further west than Toledo you're hosed. It's all flatland til the other side of Indiana.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

astrollinthepork posted:

Ride NE on US 62

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

Viktor posted:

I had the same sort of thing with my ninja 650. Turn the key on ecu gauges and injectors fire but firing the starter buzzed and immediately cut all power to the bike. It would power cycle and attempt again resulted in the same. Battery was on tender all winter and tried recharging it again with no luck.

Pulled the battery and got it tested at a car place and it showed up as zero cold cranking amps even tho the battery was indicating fine on the tender.

New battery later everything's back to normal.

I tossed it back on the tender overnight and it showed full this morning. When I put it back in the bike earlier today, it did not even do anything. No power at all. I understand how it could be the battery, but wouldn't it at least power something (gauges, etc)? If the battery tender can charge it, it must mean there's at least some power left in the battery?

I have no way of taking it to a shop for a few weeks so I'm hoping I can troubleshoot this at home, even with my limited knowledge.

I'm a little reluctant to buy a new battery because this one is not even a year old and I would hate to buy one and still be unable to start the bike. Guess I could return it though... hmm. I'll call the shop tomorrow.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Maybe your tender is busted.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

internet inc posted:

I tossed it back on the tender overnight and it showed full this morning. When I put it back in the bike earlier today, it did not even do anything. No power at all. I understand how it could be the battery, but wouldn't it at least power something (gauges, etc)? If the battery tender can charge it, it must mean there's at least some power left in the battery?

I have no way of taking it to a shop for a few weeks so I'm hoping I can troubleshoot this at home, even with my limited knowledge.

I'm a little reluctant to buy a new battery because this one is not even a year old and I would hate to buy one and still be unable to start the bike. Guess I could return it though... hmm. I'll call the shop tomorrow.

Buy a multimeter and test the flow coming from the battery while it's in the bike.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Communication chat:

I've tried a bunch of different things, and what I've found works best is these:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Throat-Microphone-Throat-Vibration-Headset-For-Two-Way-Radio-BaoFeng-UV-5R-UV-B5-UV-B6/2021265010.html

Hooked up to my phone, connected to a Mumble server. The Android client (PLumble) has a good voice-activation, the throat microphone picks up voice well and not engine noises, and the earphones (which are just empty tubes to pipe in audio) hook around the top of my ear and stay in while I put my helmet in.

Quite happy with it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Lynza posted:

My buddy has a Sena system and raves about it. I've called him while he was on his bike and I couldn't tell he wasn't sitting in his living room. Really impressive.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Day Man posted:

Works great for me.

Ditto - if anything it improves things a bit because I find the speakers on my Scala a bit tinny at high volume (it automatically gets louder as speed/noise goes up), and normal foam plugs nicely roll that treble off a bit.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

My buddy has a Sena system and raves about it. I've called him while he was on his bike and I couldn't tell he wasn't sitting in his living room. Really impressive.

Yeah, again ditto for the Scala Rider - if you set the boom position right it's amazing.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I have a 1982 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk with charging issues. In checking the Stator and Rotor I'm certain the rotor is bad. All manuals/forums I've read said resistance between slip rings should be 4-10 ohms and I'm at 0.6 I think it was.

Also, the Stator checks say that resistance between the 3 yellow leads should be 0.41 to 0.51 ohms and I'm at .7 on them all. I can't find any more info about it and am waiting for access to the Honda CB650 forum to ask there. Think the stator is OK or should I replace it to? Would rather not spend an additional $100 til certain, which I guess changing the rotor will help. When I tested output with the bike running at 5k RPM I had like 1v AC from the Stator so getting the 50-60v the manuals say should help verify it, right?

I already got a new R/R thinking it was at fault, but my old Clymer manual has a typo about the correct readings for slip rings making me think it was ok, which I found out here: http://www.hondacb650.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6508&start=15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Hmm.. noticed this today on the DRZ. Is it an issue?