Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

aside from how pathetic it is that they need user feedback to determine the answer to "do you want the background to make the foreground elements illegible", this doesn't make any sense

how in the gently caress do you get reliable feedback to compare the utility of two approaches when each half of your userbase only sees one option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

gave the latest build a try. it�s looking really good

looks ready for release as the worlds premier enterprise desktop operating system :thumbsup:

shitface fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 2, 2015

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

The post VIP Surface 3 Launch Event | Corte Madera appeared first on FunCheapSF.com.

lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

aside from how pathetic it is that they need user feedback to determine the answer to "do you want the background to make the foreground elements illegible", this doesn't make any sense

how in the gently caress do you get reliable feedback to compare the utility of two approaches when each half of your userbase only sees one option

the a/b testing cargo cult

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

heaven forbid the choice be put in a radio button somewhere and two well-staffed, well paid deigned teams have to cope with the notion of their 'vision' not being the dominant one

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i think we're at the point where windows has really become like linux, where they instead just get nothing but noise from the feedback since they've opened themselves up to the whole world. as a result, windows 10 is going to be an os for everybody and nobody

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

shitface posted:

gave the latest build a try. it�s looking really good

looks ready for release as the worlds premier enterprise desktop operating system :thumbsup:

why aren't the min/max/close buttons centered vertically ffs

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Metrication posted:

why aren't the min/max/close buttons centered vertically ffs

attention to detail is for losers

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Phoenixan posted:

so what's the difference between About and the second About?

I don't know, they both crash the Settings app

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pseudorandom name posted:

I don't know, they both crash the Settings app

works on my machine :smug:

also nothing, they are identical just like the tablet mode ones

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

this releases this summer

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

this releases this summer

don't worry, if you want the blur you can just edit the registry

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

carry on then posted:

works on my machine :smug:

also nothing, they are identical just like the tablet mode ones

i guess youre in the a/b test for competent functional apps

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

lol the bing image of the day comes to windows

I wish there was a way to automatically switch my lock screen bg on ios to that, because thats probably the best part of bing (and one of the things I liked to do on my ~lumia 920~)

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
waiting for feedback on font sizes

...hamburger menu placement/thickness

...windows control placement

etc

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

lets add a drop shadow and white border to the notification area, gently caress it - lets see what feedback says

edit: the white border around the notification area actually extends completely around it on the right side, just cut off in my pic

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

new store has a fivehead

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

can't have antialiasing, won't be fast n fluid

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

btw even when you hit 'browse' even from a metro modern universal app, you still get the old win7-style explorer window

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

fire everyone involved

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
i'm screaming

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

universal app more like universally garbage app lmao

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

the one good thing about windows 10: they haven't gotten their hands on the task manager yet

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

carry on then posted:

the one good thing about windows 10: they haven't gotten their hands on the task manager yet

that's, like, the one thing people love about windows 8. there's probably a mandate not to loving touch the thing.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

that's, like, the one thing people love about windows 8. there's probably a mandate not to loving touch the thing.
oh they will :allears:

the new wgandows ecks task manager now has it's own achievements and xbox live gold tie ins, ads for anti-virus and anti-malware programs, requires internet connectivity, and has been simplified for end users by removing all information and now simply shows a modern smiley or frowny face

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i still prefer process explorer

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i still prefer process explorer

didn't that guy get hired by ms?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Sudo Echo posted:

yes.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it was a good decision.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Sudo Echo posted:

yeah and the sysinternals toolkit is still developed and hosted on microsoft's site

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

sysinternals .. microsoft's

hot chocolate, high velocity.exe

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Sudo Echo posted:

he's the CTO of azure now lolly

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i had some promotional balance on my microsoft account which was expiring soon for some reason so i went to the windows store for the first time and bought wolfram alpha (i already have mathematica) and a lovely photo editing app

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

the paid for photo editing app had iap for more filters, wolfram alpha is kinda impressive but not very useful.

for some reason word excel etc aren't in the microsoft app store

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

pointsofdata posted:

the paid for photo editing app had iap for more filters, wolfram alpha is kinda impressive but not very useful.

for some reason word excel etc aren't in the microsoft app store

I think it's only for modern metro for windows apps and office is only touch friendly on every other os

pram
Jun 10, 2001

waiting for feedback on font sizes

...hamburger menu placement/thickness

...windows control placement

etc

what the gently caress is going on here

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames