Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

symbebekos posted:

...does it rhyme with More Ween?

wife put hers on at 7am. 30% at 11pm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Do none of you guys have jobs? Like 8 out of the 10 battery life posts have been like "yeah, used it from 10:30 this morning and at 7pm it still had 50%".

I'm employed and wear mine from about 5:30 am until 10 pm and have only been under 30% one time. That includes an hour-hour and a half at the gym daily.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Do none of you guys have jobs?

Not those of us idiotic enough to have visible tattoos! *snort*

Kidding aside, I'm curious to know what Apple Watch owners have spent the most time on their watch doing. Like have you found yourself scrolling through Instagram long enough to realize you should just be doing it on your phone, or reading a long email or something? What's the longest you've spent actively looking at your watch besides setup functions?

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 1, 2015

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Apple Store lighting is bad, but I think I like the 38 more than the 42 even if my wrist is slight bigger.

Am I crazy?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I feel like the larger Apple Watch is going to be easier to use and big watches are very much in fashion right now so it's not like you're going to be the nerd with the massive calculator watch.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The 38 seems so small compared to every other smartwatch out there that it's almost a pretty cool novelty unto itself.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I don't know anything about technology, but wouldn't a smaller watch cost more than a big watch due to the increased difficulties in producing it? I understand selling the bigger watch for more since obviously that is what most people will be wanting to buy, but all things being equal and capitalism aside, should the smaller watch cost more than the larger one?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
My Delta boarding passes are showing in Passbook on the watch now. Can't wait to see how this actually works when I get to the airport.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

kitten smoothie posted:

The 38 seems so small compared to every other smartwatch out there that it's almost a pretty cool novelty unto itself.

I am just partial to smaller watches. It isn't like 4mm difference makes the watch tiny or big, but I kind of like the aesthetic of a smaller watch.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

So does the sensor work on people with REALLY dark skin?

Still not clear, though I'm going to say "no" judging by apple's track record with the black community.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So I don't know anything about technology, but wouldn't a smaller watch cost more than a big watch due to the increased difficulties in producing it? I understand selling the bigger watch for more since obviously that is what most people will be wanting to buy, but all things being equal and capitalism aside, should the smaller watch cost more than the larger one?

Presumably the screen and battery might cost more for the 42mm, but yeah the manufacturing cost does seem like it'd be higher on a 38.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MrBond posted:

Presumably the screen and battery might cost more for the 42mm, but yeah the manufacturing cost does seem like it'd be higher on a 38.

Why? Is the 42 not just the same guts as the 38 with a slightly bigger casing, battery, and display?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

RVProfootballer posted:

Why? Is the 42 not just the same guts as the 38 with a slightly bigger casing, battery, and display?

Smaller stuff requiring more effort to jam into the small space, more time for the workers to do it, etc? I am obviously not a manufacturing person at all so I'm just spitballing here. It's possible Chinese factories are so good at this stuff regardless.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrBond posted:

Smaller stuff requiring more effort to jam into the small space, more time for the workers to do it, etc? I am obviously not a manufacturing person at all so I'm just spitballing here. It's possible Chinese factories are so good at this stuff regardless.

That's why they employ kids, they have smaller hands.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It doesn't really seem like the 38mm is a miniaturized version of the 42mm, and that is what would cost money. Like the screen isn't higher pixel density, it just has less pixels. The battery just has less energy in it.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
iFixIt has put up a bunch of maintenance guides for the Apple Watch at https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Apple_Watch

It's mind-blogging how elaborate this thing is...

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, the teardown definitely puts to bed the idea that the CPU is just an easily upgradeable module that can be swapped out so your $10K gold watch is futureproofed.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

rear end Catchcum posted:

Still not clear, though I'm going to say "no" judging by apple's track record with the black community.

Hah. You’re just such a terrible gimmick.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MrBond posted:

So I also obviously have no idea, to put that disclaimer out there :v: But my impression was internals in 42 mm would essentially be identically sized as those in the 38 mm. So there's no anything being smaller for the 38 or having to be jammed in, they were made to fit that. Then in the 42, there's a bigger casing, so room for a slightly bigger battery jammed in the middle, but everything else essentially identical. Like it isn't as though the cpu in the 42 is going to be bigger than the 38, ya know?

The ifixit teardown that was linked has only one picture of the internals of the 42 mm after full teardown of the 38, so I have no idea how dumb my notion is. Here are the only two comparison pictures we can use though:

38 mm

42 mm

So at a very superficial level, seems roughly consistent with my initial impression? I dunno, hah.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

DJCobol posted:

My Delta boarding passes are showing in Passbook on the watch now. Can't wait to see how this actually works when I get to the airport.

Trip report: no problems at the security checkpoint or boarding the plane, except a "WTF! I want one!" from the Delta gate agent.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

DJCobol posted:

Trip report: no problems at the security checkpoint or boarding the plane, except a "WTF! I want one!" from the Delta gate agent.

It's a stupid and kind of ridiculous question, but how did you scan it? I know that I usually have to put my phone face-down on the scanner; did you just twist your wrist around and tap it like you would your phone? Seems kind of funny to put your forearm onto the counter like that, but if it works!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Senf posted:

It's a stupid and kind of ridiculous question, but how did you scan it? I know that I usually have to put my phone face-down on the scanner; did you just twist your wrist around and tap it like you would your phone? Seems kind of funny to put your forearm onto the counter like that, but if it works!

Probably since that's how you'd have to use Apple Pay.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Senf posted:

Yup, just twisted my wrist down after bringing up my boarding pass in the passbook. When boarding I had to pull it up again because putting my wrist down turned the display off the first time.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Got mine in yesterday, been playing with it all day. Most unexpectedly useful feature: pinging my phone, which I have a habit of tucking away into random locations in my home and then completely forgetting about.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

3 posted:

Got mine in yesterday, been playing with it all day. Most unexpectedly useful feature: pinging my phone, which I have a habit of tucking away into random locations in my home and then completely forgetting about.

Oh man, I had no idea you could do that with the watch! I am trying very hard to come up with reasons why I don't need a 1st gen. 400+ device, but sadly that list keeps growing ever smaller by the day :/

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Oh man, I had no idea you could do that with the watch! I am trying very hard to come up with reasons why I don't need a 1st gen. 400+ device, but sadly that list keeps growing ever smaller by the day :/
Wait it out. 2nd gen compared to 1st gen is usual a pretty big leap when it comes to Apple hardware, and by the time yours would actually ship if you ordered it now you'd be looking at a wait of 6-8 months basically.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Wait it out. 2nd gen compared to 1st gen is usual a pretty big leap when it comes to Apple hardware, and by the time yours would actually ship if you ordered it now you'd be looking at a wait of 6-8 months basically.

Counterpoint: I've been wearing my gen 1 Apple Watch for a few days now and it's awesome. Obviously gen 2 will be better (and so will every gen after that) but for the next year this is an extremely useful addition to my life. In a year I'll stick this gen 1 version on eBay and get probably 60% or so of what I paid for it, and then upgrade to gen 2.

"Don't buy this tech because there'll be better tech next year" is dumb. There will always be better tech next year. Apple products hold their value a lot more than anything else in tech. If you think this product will be useful for you, you're probably right. Why wait a year to start using it?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

monkeu posted:

"Don't buy this tech because there'll be better tech next year" is dumb. There will always be better tech next year. Apple products hold their value a lot more than anything else in tech. If you think this product will be useful for you, you're probably right. Why wait a year to start using it?

I think the point is more that Apple stuff makes a huge jump between gen1 and gen2. Assuming Apple watch is on a yearly upgrade cycle.

But you're also right in that Apple stuff retains value moreso than any other consumer electronic.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Snuffman posted:

I think the point is more that Apple stuff makes a huge jump between gen1 and gen2. Assuming Apple watch is on a yearly upgrade cycle.

But you're also right in that Apple stuff retains value moreso than any other consumer electronic.

It does, but my first gen iPad was still extremely useful for a year until I stuck it on eBay, got back over half of what I paid for it and then put that money towards buying a second gen iPad. If you have the disposable income, why go a year without using a product that you think will be useful to you? :shrug:

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

monkeu posted:

Counterpoint: I've been wearing my gen 1 Apple Watch for a few days now and it's awesome. Obviously gen 2 will be better (and so will every gen after that) but for the next year this is an extremely useful addition to my life. In a year I'll stick this gen 1 version on eBay and get probably 60% or so of what I paid for it, and then upgrade to gen 2.

Yes. I wholeheartedly agree that "next year is better" is dumb. Nevertheless we are not talking about an iterative update. This is a first gen product. And history shows that 2nd gen apple products are a better value (look at the iPad 2) my mom still has hers and know what? It's still a decent tablet and getting updates. Meanwhile I still have a gen 1 iPad lying around I use to let my daughter watch Netflix when I want to use the television. And that's all its good for.
Now. I will probably will still get an apple watch one as soon as you can buy one in the stores. But that's because I really want one. I don't feel it's the most rational decision I can make but at the end of the day it's something I want same as I wanted that iPad (different scales btw. An iPad was something I REALLY wanted. A watch is something I feel I can enjoy and that will fit in my life. (2015 is the year of being more active and fit conscious and I am enjoying micromanaging progress in cardio and strength training)

just_a_guy fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 2, 2015

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
E. Double post

just_a_guy fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 2, 2015

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
I present to you: Anyone going through Rolex withdrawal?

quote:

I do, but I sent my Rolex in for service now that I got my Apple watch, should have it back next week and then I'm strongly considering returning my Apple Watch. It is cool, but doesn't fill a need for me personally. Though for $400 I'm like "whatever".

I would not be surprised in the future if we can't pay to have a Rolex face. Perhaps Apple will license it from them, or just buy Rolex with that extra cash.

quote:

Still waiting for my Apple Watch but it will be for nothing more than to muck around with. Doubt i'll wear it outside the house but i'm sure it'll be fun for a while! And besides, its an Apple product so i've got to at least try :)

I think the Apple Watch will mainly for people who currently enjoy G-Shocks and/or quartz watches. Even then, not all quartz analogue watch wears or G-Shock wearers will be convinced.

Not going to be many mechanical watch wearers who will convert because we understand the non-tangible side of traditional craftsmanship.

quote:

The majority of the current Rolex line sells for much less than $30K.

That aside, I find money pretty useful. A Rolex Submariner that sold for $500 in 1969 is worth about $8K-$10K today. About 5X that if it was military issued. Try that with an Apple watch in 40 years.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

"Rolex withdrawal" has got to be the most 1st world problem sounding 1st world problem I've heard in a long time.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

monkeu posted:

Yes if you could walk into an Apple store today and get a watch and you want one I would recommend it. However, if you order one today you'll be lucky to get it in 2 months. That was the entire point I was making.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
The Apple Watch Thread: It is cool, but doesn't fill a need for me personally. Though for $400 I'm like "whatever".

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Ars posted their Apple Watch review:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/05/03/review-the-absolutely-optional-apple-watch-and-watch-os-1-0/

They did a fairly good job at not getting completely hung up on the merits of smart watches at large, which is nice.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
My watch order has gone from 4/29 to 6/1 due to my own silliness. Because I used apple pay to preorder, then restored my phone, then readded the card to apple pay (which generated a new card number), only to have the preorder charge not go through. Since I was on vacation, I didn't actually have the card with me to update the payment info, so I had to cancel and reorder. No way to update card info to another apple pay card. Either way, no biggie waiting. My SS will be here when it gets here.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
If anybody else was wanting to view their Reminders on the watch, it looks like somebody wrote a "Reminders Nano" app and is selling it for 99˘. The phone app itself isn't very useful, you launch it, give it access to your reminders, and it then just pretty much mirrors the built in reminders app. However it includes a Watch app which then lets you view your reminders lists on your watch.

I haven't used it extensively yet but it seems to work OK. It really seems like one of those things that should have been included as a built-in app.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Is anyone else in this thread in club waiting eternally for the link bracelet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I finally got a chance to stop by an Apple store and try on a few different bands. The Milanese loop was a lot smaller than I thought it would be after seeing all the pictures. The magnet is REALLY strong though and it felt secure on my wrist. Just not my style I guess. I tried the leather loop band as well, and as someone else in this thread mentioned, it definitely feels plasticky, and not really like leather at all. The only one that I liked was the link bracelet, but Apple doesn't show the black one on their website, and I don't really feel like paying more for a band than I paid for my watch to begin with. At this point I think I'm just going to wait for the adapter that lets you use whatever standard watch band you want, and get a non-Apple band.

• Locked thread