Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah, she stays on and she's a very good caster, but it feels like after a while, magic users tend to suck in Suikoden 5. They start really powerful, wiping out entire encounters and bursting down bosses, but all of a sudden, you start recruiting these hard motherfuckers who crit for more than a fourth-level spell or dudes who hit more than once and it adds up to nearly a thousand damage. Skill for damage and crit and slap a Killer Rune on them and you suddenly have an inexhaustible source of extreme damage who's also kinda tanky plus maybe even M-range.

Meanwhile, Zerase's damage doesn't scale very well, most endgame enemies can tank her high-level magic, and she's pretty junk once her MP runs out. This goes for all casters, of course. It's kind of a shame because they were good in the older Suikoden games where random encounters were always weak enough to make your mages feel useful. S5 eventually goes full five-digit HP mode and had enough foresight to rebalance fighters to compensate for this, but they forgot to beef up casters to match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I replayed S5 recently, and Zerase was mostly one-shotting the endgame dungeon maps outside of the single large enemies pretty well. As far as the absolute best when everything is set-up right, Zerase isn't special. But for 99% of the game, she is a top 5 as far as low-maintenance/super high power. Doing better than her requires some killer rune set-ups with Miakis and stuff.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The White Dragon posted:

Meanwhile, Zerase's damage doesn't scale very well, most endgame enemies can tank her high-level magic, and she's pretty junk once her MP runs out.
Magic Absorb lets her regain 1 casting point after landing a single physical attack. If the lower magic tiers have full MP she can alternate between her level 4 Star Rune and throwing a knife until the entire enemy party falls.

I mean, I saw Richard do a 4-hit combo with a critical and a double critical and that took about 3000 HP off a single enemy, but fighters are really slow against crowds.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, she stays on and she's a very good caster, but it feels like after a while, magic users tend to suck in Suikoden 5. They start really powerful, wiping out entire encounters and bursting down bosses, but all of a sudden, you start recruiting these hard motherfuckers who crit for more than a fourth-level spell or dudes who hit more than once and it adds up to nearly a thousand damage. Skill for damage and crit and slap a Killer Rune on them and you suddenly have an inexhaustible source of extreme damage who's also kinda tanky plus maybe even M-range.

Meanwhile, Zerase's damage doesn't scale very well, most endgame enemies can tank her high-level magic, and she's pretty junk once her MP runs out. This goes for all casters, of course. It's kind of a shame because they were good in the older Suikoden games where random encounters were always weak enough to make your mages feel useful. S5 eventually goes full five-digit HP mode and had enough foresight to rebalance fighters to compensate for this, but they forgot to beef up casters to match.

for most random encounters you can just use that formation that hits every enemy all at once to kill them with no effort

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So how much agility should Dunban have to properly dodge tank around level 40? Alot of decent armor also seems to lower agility so I'm not sure exactly where to strike a good balance, he has 107 agility atm and like 350 phys defense.
No idea but you should be reaching the point where it's usable. Just keep jamming his armor full of agility gems.

Ignore defense compromises, just go full agility. Give it a try then and if it doesn't work try it again later.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

any ps1/ps2/ps3 rpgs that let you build up and customize a house or palace ala animal crossing except with a rpg element.

Also rpgs with fishing plz.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i assume you're asking because of suikoden chat

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

madpanda posted:

any ps1/ps2/ps3 rpgs that let you build up and customize a house or palace ala animal crossing except with a rpg element.

rune factory frontier has a ps3 version

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

madpanda posted:

breath of fire 4

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

madpanda posted:

Nier.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

madpanda posted:

Sounds like you want Dark Cloud 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

rune factory frontier has a ps3 version

Yeah, Rune Factory is probably what you want (at least in terms of 'easily accessible.") Also it's currently on PSN sale if you're in the US.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Rune Factory Tides of Destiny is loving horrible don't get that one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

Rune Factory Tides of Destiny is loving horrible don't get that one.

Oh, is that the one on sale? My mistake.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I'm not sure if it is or not, just a friendly warning so no one else gets swindled by that crap.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Which characters work best with you controlling them rather than the AI in Xenoblade?

Glenn565
Aug 1, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Which characters work best with you controlling them rather than the AI in Xenoblade?

Melia, Melia, Melia. The AI cannot play her well at all.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've never had Melia in a party where she wasn't my character as per the advice I've read, but I'm curious, what does the AI do with her that's wrong?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

madpanda posted:

If you ever get a 3DS put Fantasy Life on your list of games to get.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Motto posted:

I've never had Melia in a party where she wasn't my character as per the advice I've read, but I'm curious, what does the AI do with her that's wrong?

Melia's summons by default act as buffs to the party. The AI likes to hold onto them. What's better is firing them off at the enemy for massive damage, then resummoning them and doing it again. :getin: You can force the AI Melia to attack with them by giving the "Focus your attacks on this enemy" command, buy then she'll probably go back to buffing until you remind her.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So Melia's the only one? I thought someone else doesn't use their skills properly either. Also, do I need to do any sort of set-up to bench Sharla or is surviving without dedicated healing easy? She desperately needs some way to actually do damage.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 3, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Melia's summons by default act as buffs to the party. The AI likes to hold onto them. What's better is firing them off at the enemy for massive damage, then resummoning them and doing it again. :getin: You can force the AI Melia to attack with them by giving the "Focus your attacks on this enemy" command, buy then she'll probably go back to buffing until you remind her.

Yeah, that's pretty bad. The best part about Melia is firing those as often as possible while trying to avoid drawing aggro, with her topple and status arts helping. It's also great that the way her summons work means that pretty much every time she's been in a chain attack I have somebody who can use a white art over and over.

Sakurazuka posted:

So Melia's the only one? I thought someone else doesn't use their skills properly either. Also, do I need to do any sort of set-up to bench Sharla or is surviving without healing easy? She desperately needs some way to actually do damage.

You can get healing without Sharla by obtaining and linking the skills that recover HP after performing a Chain Attack (Shulk has it). Also, Shulk and Riki both have decent heal skills on them, with Riki's being an AOE that might catch other party members too.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 3, 2015

Glenn565
Aug 1, 2009

Motto posted:

Her AI just doesn't make use of her gimmick efficiently. You can do a ton of damage if you gem for lightning damage and stock three of her Lightning orbs and discharge them all at once, but her AI will just stack orbs randomly and be bad at discharging them. The AI also seems to love her Aqua orbs for their healing passive, but the healing is negligible. Dumb stuff like that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

So Melia's the only one? I thought someone else doesn't use their skills properly either. Also, do I need to do any sort of set-up to bench Sharla or is surviving without dedicated healing easy? She desperately needs some way to actually do damage.
A page or two ago somebody said Riki wasn't good in AI hands either.

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008
I know there was some discussion that Pier Solar wasn't great with some tedious combat -- but is it worth the $6 it's on sale for on PSN right now?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Glum posted:

I know there was some discussion that Pier Solar wasn't great with some tedious combat -- but is it worth the $6 it's on sale for on PSN right now?
Just buy an actual old school JRPG. Like Tales of Eternia. Or Lunar. Those are on PSN.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mr. Glum posted:

It isn't even worth $0 on a :filez: site.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Endorph posted:

Just buy an actual old school JRPG. Like Tales of Eternia. Or Lunar. Those are on PSN.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The ability to design a fun game and fondness for using a hollowed out sega genesis as a fleshlight are inversely proportional. Never play pier solar.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Mr. Glum posted:

Do not get me started on that game. Unless you really want details, all I'll say for now is the only way it would ever be worth it is if the developers paid you to play it and even then the wage would have to incredibly generous.

If you really want a retro-style modern JRPG, get Cthluhu Saves the World on Steam. It's only $3, comes with another (albeit incredibly mediocre) game, and goes down to a buck during the Steam Sales. Plus, the official site offers the soundtrack for free.

I started replaying Super Mario RPG earlier today, after replacing the battery after learning how to in the Retro Games thread (It hadn't died, I just figured I'd take care of it now), and just beat Bowyer. Huh, some of the slapstick humor in this game is a little more... stupid than I remembered.

Yeah, I know I said I was going to play Brave Fencer Musashi, but something about it wasn't grabbing me. It took me a while to get going with Xenogears too.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Mr. Glum posted:

It's not just tedious combat. It's poor scripting, awful puzzles, and, in the HD version unless you turn it down to "pixelvision" settings (thus negating the HD period), a lot of jarring clashes of art styles make it really hard to figure out where you are even going or what is traversible terrain.

I am not even joking when I tell you that this is a Genesis-style JRPG where you have a minimap so you can actually tell which parts of the screen can be walked on. I am 100% convinced that's why that is in the game.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Codiekitty posted:

Yeah, I know I said I was going to play Brave Fencer Musashi, but something about it wasn't grabbing me. It took me a while to get going with Xenogears too.

Never say another even slightly negative thing about Brave Fencer Musashi.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Wendell posted:

Never say another even slightly negative thing about Brave Fencer Musashi.

The only bad thing about Brave Fencer Musashi is that it allowed its sequel to exist.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Boiling Point: Road to Hell is the greatest open world RPG and it's criminal no one is continuing this series.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mr. Glum posted:

The general consensus seems to be that it wouldn't be worth buying if it was an actual Genesis-era Genesis game and you were planning to buy it in 1994, and it sure as hell isn't now.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Sakurazuka posted:

Sharla is useless in any tough fight with her AI. Battles go from frustrating and impossible to easy just by taking control of her.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Infinity Gaia posted:

The only bad thing about Brave Fencer Musashi is that it allowed its sequel to exist.

We don't talk about that here.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Playing Tales of Symphonia and in the desert ruins. Are "Fakes" supposed to ruin me? I'm guessing physical attacks doesn't hurt them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's immune to non-elemental attacks. Have Genis and Kratos spam spells, Raine healing, and Lloyd keeping it busy.

That said you can cheese it - it's not necessarily immune to 'physical' attacks. If you have an elemental weapon, you can hit it just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Million Ghosts posted:

We don't talk about that here.

Is Samurai Legend that bad?