Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I find the exploitation of the AI, such as the tile counting fairly interesting personally. If you did it more it might get tiring for me but so far I personally haven't been bothered by it.

I'd like to change my enlistment request though, if possible I'd like to any class but have psi abilities as you have mentioned getting them earlier on in Longest War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

HiKaizer posted:

I find the exploitation of the AI, such as the tile counting fairly interesting personally. If you did it more it might get tiring for me but so far I personally haven't been bothered by it.

I'd like to change my enlistment request though, if possible I'd like to any class but have psi abilities as you have mentioned getting them earlier on in Longest War.

I'll try to use my best judgement. In general I only do that sort of thing when the situation is extremely delicate, such as during the first terror mission. Sometimes its a convenience thing so I can get the 'perfect' activation, or to avoid an activation when currently engaging with an enemy. I don't ever remember tile counting so I can get an LMG gunner 'just in range' of an opponent.

Of course, if the original game had defined sight-radii, counting wouldn't be necessary :p

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Yay second mission bummer no kills

General Antares
Sep 5, 2011

There be corundium up in them thar asteroids!!!
Eh I don't think tile counting is that gamey. Its not like the AI doesn't have absolute precision when it comes to not getting caught in overwatch.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It would be nice if you were able to toggle a display of your soldiers' LOS radius.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I got mentioned :3:

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

I helped! :buddy: I'm actually pretty surprised my soldier didn't ruin everything for you the second time around.

How do you use your medics? I'm always torn before keeping them at mid range and sending them up front as an additional shotgunner. It's pretty hard to resist the sweet allure of shotguns.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Depends on the mission and the medic. Battle Medics (overwatch/suppression) generally stick with regular rifles. Support medics can go either way. A support medic should be in the back to throw smoke, or in the front to throw offensive support grenades (10 tile throw range), so a shotgun isn't a terrible idea so she can keep snipers safe from floaters, or so she can provide good firepower in the front.

On exalt covert data recoveries medics get shotguns and a ton of kills :madmax:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Speaking of medics, I've noticed you haven't really been focused on building up any support medics. Do you think they are just not as necessary when a lot of your soldiers are still fairly low ranked and battles are still fairly easy and controllable in early months?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

SaffronKit posted:

Speaking of medics, I've noticed you haven't really been focused on building up any support medics. Do you think they are just not as necessary when a lot of your soldiers are still fairly low ranked and battles are still fairly easy and controllable in early months?

When I get squad size 1, especially with an inexperienced roster, I forgo medics and instead go for rookies with medkits, with maybe a couple spares throughout the squad. When I get squad size 2, I'll start focusing on medics and they will come every mission, with some exceptions (bombing missions, mostly). I really do like medics, but they require a lot of TLC before they're a huge use. Engineers can carry a whole bunch of grenades to offset lack of firepower.

Edit: Some people play the entire game without even bothering with medics. I wouldn't feel quite comfortable doing that, but I think its pretty viable.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 30, 2015

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

ProfessorBooty posted:

Edit: Some people play the entire game without even bothering with medics. I wouldn't feel quite comfortable doing that, but I think its pretty viable.

Based on the classes my rookies rolled and not keeping careful track of the balance I was choosing between subclasses, I will be slowly testing that "strategy". I'll let you know how it works out.

By which I mean I will silently weep as Long War repeatedly teaches me I am actually pretty bad at this game. :smith:

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I can't be the only person who thinks Kindeyman is actually Jay from RedLetterMedia?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

With Beta 15c there was a change to the Scout tree - its a change I like, but I seriously hope people quit complaining about scouts so I don't have to deal with the changing trees any more. This meant I had to swap Ranger for Low Profile on Juicebox.

I'm holding back on upgrading to 15d, mostly due to the changes to bombing missions.

:siren:Congratulations Eggsaisle and Kaboom Dragoon in becoming Officers! Eggsaisle needs a nickname. We gave Kaboom Dragoon the nickname Platoon!:siren:

Perk Talk

Low Profile v. Ranger v. Deadeye

Low profile isn't as important as in vanilla, because cover, including low cover, is better in Long War. Still, Low Profile is great as larger squads means less cover available to soldiers, especially on smaller maps. Low Profile allows other soldiers to take up better cover spots.

Ranger is unchanged. Good statistics choice, and lets your soldier effectively skip a tier of weapons.

Deadeye was changed. Instead of +10 aim +10 crit on flyers, its a flat +15 aim. This is pretty significant, but the expected values are still in favor of more damage over more aim. The builds for scout I have in mind don't utilize this perk. If I need more chance to hit a flyer, I'll probably use flush, or shotguns.

Officers

In Long War you can promote some soldiers to officers. Officers get perks that help the entire squad. Lieutenants require that the soldier reached Corporal rank, and has attended at least 5 missions. Later on, Lieutenants can be promoted to higher officer ranks.

Officers cannot be MEC'd or turned into psionic units. Only the officer in charge of the mission provides benefits to lower squadmates, extra officers on missions only provide benefits to themselves.

The base ability for Officers is 'Lead by Example', meaning soldiers of lower will inherit the will of the officer within 12 tiles. This is huge, and why I give my officers will/tanky perks. It feels really good to have 0% chances of panicking.

Legio Patria Nostra v. Stay Frosty

Stay Frosty reduces post mission fatigue by one day, Legio Patria Nostra gives squadmates +1 will per different nationality in the squad.

Stay Frosty is good and helps prevent fatigue spirals, Legio Patria Nostra gives your squadmates even more will. This is huge with the added nationalities, and larger teams in general.

I give all officers Stay Frosty, except for one that gets Legio Patria Nostra.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 4, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Uuuugh what a great mission. Wish I was there for it :(

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Alright Commander Booty, I've given you a pass the last couple of missions because there hasn't really been anyone with a nickname going into them, but you and Kidneyman have really been dropping the ball on using your soldier's nicknames. This is a travesty we can't stand for, we thought long and hard about giving them silly nicknames that you'd have to call them, so by god we want to hear them! :argh:

As for Kaboom's and Eggaisle's nicknames, I think Platoon is a pretty good choice for Kaboom, and you have every right to pick the nicknames occasionally!

Because I am a terrible person who has been watching anime recently because of Megane, I'm going to put forward Yolki-onna as Eggsaisle's nickname, to go with her new frosty outlook.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I'm sorry! :ohdear:

There is no excuse for this behavior and I'm doing a great disservice to our brave troops. I will do my best to remedy this situation! And I'm certain talk like this won't make you more likely to depend on the sure-fire tactic of standing in the open with only smoke to protect you!

Edit: Wait, Eggsaisle is Chinese, not Japanese. Wouldn't it be better to give her a nickname that embraces either her Swedish nationality, Chinese ancestry, or both (that is also less than 11 characters)?

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 1, 2015

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ProfessorBooty posted:

I'm sorry! :ohdear:

There is no excuse for this behavior and I'm doing a great disservice to our brave troops. I will do my best to remedy this situation! And I'm certain talk like this won't make you more likely to depend on the sure-fire tactic of standing in the open with only smoke to protect you!

Edit: Wait, Eggsaisle is Chinese, not Japanese. Wouldn't it be better to give her a nickname that embraces either her Swedish nationality, Chinese ancestry, or both (that is also less than 11 characters)?

I don't have to worry about that, it is a fact that pink hair makes you impossible to hit by aliens!

Also while she is Chinese and/or Swedish, I was more aiming for the egg pun with a frosty theme of which there is a great lack of opportunity for in the chinese and swedish languages.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I look away from the thread for a week and I'm a rocketeer! And French!

Did last war make rocket drift worse, or is it based on accuracy?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
It hasn't changed - carbines and laser weapons no longer contribute to rocket accuracy (aim-buffing small items do, though). Only change to scatter that I know of for sure is that snapshot was buffed.

Edit: I'm going to throw this out there, how about Hot and Sour for Eggsaisle?

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 1, 2015

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

SaffronKit posted:

Because I am a terrible person who has been watching anime recently because of Megane, I'm going to put forward Yolki-onna as Eggsaisle's nickname, to go with her new frosty outlook.

SaffronKit posted:

I don't have to worry about that, it is a fact that pink hair makes you impossible to hit by aliens!

Also while she is Chinese and/or Swedish, I was more aiming for the egg pun with a frosty theme of which there is a great lack of opportunity for in the chinese and swedish languages.

Chinese, huh? How about Tong Zi Dan?

EDIT: Also that rocket from Kurieg was just amazing. That kind of shot earns you a nickname too. Dead Center.

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 2, 2015

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kurieg posted:

I look away from the thread for a week and I'm a rocketeer! And French!

Did last war make rocket drift worse, or is it based on accuracy?

In vanilla Rockets were 90% pinpoint accurate and had a 10% chance of going in ridiculously random directions.

In Long War they have a chance to scatter on every shot. The tiles shown is the standard deviation of tiles. So if it says 1.2 there is a 68% chance the rocket will be within 1.2 tiles of where you aim, a 95% chance it'll be within 2.4 tiles and a 5% chance it'll go off harder. Scatter goes down with aim and some perks.

In beta 15 scatter was made worse because Rocketeers get smaller aim growth and its much harder to stack aim with less from perks and small items. And most aim buffing small items are now mutually exclusive. Average scatter was lowered slightly, but not as much as aim was nerfed.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 1, 2015

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

I realized that since you named my soldier Colonel Corazon, there is a possibility for her to become Colonel Colonel "Colonel" Corazon.

Zore posted:

In vanilla Rockets were 90% pinpoint accurate and had a 10% chance of going in ridiculously random directions.

In Long War they have a chance to scatter on every shot. The tiles shown is the standard deviation of tiles. So if it says 1.2 there is a 68% chance the rocket will be within 1.2 tiles of where you aim, a 95% chance it'll be within 2.4 tiles and a 5% chance it'll go off harder. Scatter goes down with aim and some perks.

In beta 15 scatter was made worse because Rocketeers get smaller aim growth and its much harder to stack aim with less from perks and small items. And most aim buffing small items are now mutually exclusive. Average scatter was lowered slightly, but not as much as aim was nerfed.

Sounds like we need more rocketeers! :madmax:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Look guys, all I did was take three things about Eggsaisle to make a pun nickname: the name, the new ability she gets as an officer, and the fact she is a female soldier. I'm not trying to wrap everything about a person into a nickname here, just make a terrible slightly multi-tier pun. :colbert:

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

Colonel Corazon posted:

...there is a possibility for her to become Colonel Colonel "Colonel" Corazon.
I think there's also value in Colonel Colonel "Corazon" Corazon, but overall I like where you're going.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
We plan on recording tomorrow, so I would like a couple more thoughts or consensus on Eggsaisle's nickname. I understand it can be pretty tough especially because she's one of those backbone soldiers that don't seem to do anything particularly amazing or dangerous but were necessary for things to work out nonetheless.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
"Free Range" Eggsaisle.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

"Siberian" Eggsaisle
she'll definitely stay frosty :downsrim:

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 2, 2015

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

'Scotch' Eggsaisle

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Bravo, this thread has turned into a thing of egg-pun based beauty. :golfclap:

sheep-dodger posted:

"Siberian" Eggsaisle
she'll definitely stay frosty :downsrim:

This is an pretty great alternative in my book. Who cares if it's also from the wrong country, she's an eggsaisle after all.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

"Free Range" Eggsaisle.

I like this one.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I was gonna say, there are any number of egg puns you could use. Too bad I didn't pick an explosives class, "Bomb-elette" would have fit rather well.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Must Love Dogs posted:

'Scotch' Eggsaisle

Winner

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
I'd also like to congratulate our newest prodigy Double Rabite on his dodging and weaving prowess, leading to one of the better first kills in this air war.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to spend the next week and a half repairing my own craft.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

ModeWondershot posted:

I'd also like to congratulate our newest prodigy Double Rabite on his dodging and weaving prowess, leading to one of the better first kills in this air war.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to spend the next week and a half repairing my own craft.

Aww, you were the wind beneath DR's wings.

Also, its technically almost three weeks :v:

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 5, 2015

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ow

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

A pretty successful UFO crash mission, in my opinion. Could have gotten more meld if I was more brave.

I changed SaffronKit's build - I admit, its kind of cheaty that I did this, because I changed him based on alterations of the perk tree that occur later, but, in my defense, I only had one build in mind before the Scout perk tree changes.

:siren:Congratulations SaffronKit and SuperString in becoming Corporal! SaffronKit and SuperString need nicknames!:siren:

:ducksiren:Please submit nicknames for SaffronKit and SuperString as soon as possible, we rescheduled recording sessions and we plan on having one in less than 12 hours from now.:ducksiren:

Pretty amazing overall that SaffronKit made Corporal in 4 missions! Amazing kill-to-mission ratio, too!

Let's Talk About GUNS

Laser weapons generally have +6 aim over their conventional counterpart. Some laser weapons have less ammo (marksman and sniper rifles), and they generally do +1 damage.

Some people will skip Laser weapons, and I'll likely skip some laser weapons, and due to money and alloy issues we might not be equipping them as soon as we would normally hope to.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Saffron makes things yellow.

Indigo makes things blue/marine.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Awwyiss, nickname suggestion taken.

I like "Indigo" SaffronKit. The obvious suggestion would be "Quantum" SuperString, but I'm thinking we need something sillier...

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Lucky Star is the name of an anime, not of an anime character. Not that it matters.

SaffronKit has such a high bodycount, so why not call him EggsTerminator so he can be buddies with EggAisle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Dang it Commander Booty, why you gotta post this while I'm at my second job! :argh:

I eagerly await my nickname turns out to be. I gotta say it's pretty awesome how fast I'm advancing, I look forward to seeing the Scout changes and build you have in mind, Booty.

• Locked thread