Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Jesus Christ, it's STILL going on? You've been LPing that game for as long as I've been a goon.

Edit: It's still nothing compared to the Sakura Wars LP, which went into archives recently after like 8 years.

I think the next runner up is Grey Hunter's War in the Pacific LP, which essentially LP'd America's involvement in World War II in real time, every day for 4 years. Only missed one update too. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I think the next runner up is Grey Hunter's War in the Pacific LP, which essentially LP'd America's involvement in World War II in real time, every day for 4 years. Only missed one update too. Holy poo poo.
that's loving nuts.

I love it.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Gonna step in and vent real quick.

I hate X: Beyond the Frontier. :argh:

I've been doing casual youtube LP's for years and only recently stepped up my youtube game for Miasmata and Crypt World, but the one I'll always regret is X: BtF.

The plan was to play it and have fun and just BS for 15 minutes at a time until the game was finished. About 20 videos in, my friends and family started sending me copies of the X series. I have yet to play any of them. Later, I grabbed my pal Chuck as co-commentator to help me pass the time as it was getting more and more boring.

Then we hit the major plot point. At around 40 episodes in, Chuck and I discovered that we were merely at the beginning of a mindless grind fest threatening to last 20 more game hours. The series sputtered and died. Chuck and I just dusted our hands off and skedaddled. I moved on to other games, but that's when I gathered my bad habit of not finishing my VLPs. Each unfinished work is like a tiny needle in the back of my skull. And I blame X:BtF.

Still, that wasn't enough to make me hate the game. Nah, it was the fans. When you only have 200 subscribers, every mail and comment counts. Requests poured in (well trickled, but that was pouring for me) asking when X:BtF would finish. Also, when checking analytics, X:BtF used to be my most watched series for some unknowable and eldritch reason (Checking it now, the first X:BtF episode STILL hasn't left my top ten most watched videos, and that is with Miasmata which is my current top viewed). Over time, my feelings for X:BtF rotted in my brain like toxic maggots. I curse the grid sectors and Ban Danna for setting me forth into an impossibly long quest to win the hearts of EVERY loving RACE In the UNIVERSE. (loving Seriously?!)

Starting the Maze LP in this community, I vowed never again to start a project I could not finish, which kind of rules out most blind LP's. Perhaps I can mend my wicked casual ways.

But I'll always hate X: Beyond the Frontier.

Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

:fuckthis:

ThornBrain posted:

(relax EPM, you were one of the good ones).

Appreciated! Though, I think I've found my niche in occasionally providing bizarre "fanart". Which tempts me to go into the subject here, but I don't think there's much to say. Even still, a picture is worth a thousand words:

Incidentally, Thorn, you did put out a call for pictures to exhibit in the Hero videos, so it might just be a case of asking.

And then finally, this happened, apropos of nothing, when Travis streamed Bloodborne recently:

Speaking of unexpected partnerships and meetings over time via LP, actually! ThornBrain did a Majora's Mask LP fairly recently, and one of his videos mentioned that a Majora's Mask opera was in development by Miguel Bulteau. Later on in the LP, the guys interviewed him, and I realized that I actually had something to contribute. The man who will be my step-father in June is the director of one of Chicago's opera production companies, and I casually brought up the subject of the Majora opera during dinner one night. He expressed interest, so I showed him one of the demo videos and mentioned Bulteau's situation. Thorn had his contact info, so I put the two in contact, which has apparently been helpful.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

nine-gear crow posted:

Remind me, the one he missed was when he was getting married, right?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
8 years ago, back when Let's Play was only a thread icon rather than a subforum in its own right, I gained my 15 minutes of forums fame and a slight amount of off-site notoriety by pretending to be a permanently confused, hooting retard.

It's to my credit that since then, I have rarely broken character. :v:

Seriously though, I kinda feel like I only had one LP in me. It was a combination of factors that had me capturing lightning in a bottle - I knew the areas of the game back-to-front even though this was the first time I'd ever done a low-int run and in that respect was pretty much doing it blind, I was not in full-time employment at the time and had the hours to devote to it, and everything just happened to work out through sheer stroke of luck in the play-through - minor points aside I really did gently caress-all planning and it's amazing that it turned out as well as it did.

What weirded me out though is that up until just 2 years ago, some dude on tumblr was role-playing my character on his blog.

This am make head hurt.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
he may have stopped two years ago, but now it is my turn to be Trogg

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Waffleman_ posted:

Edit: It's still nothing compared to the Sakura Wars LP, which went into archives recently after like 8 years.

Seeing as how I'm rereading that thread and I don't have Archives, I'm fairly sure that it's still live.

Also, what got me into doing LP's in the first place? I wanted to be an LP Superstar. Luckily the disaster of Thousand Arms brought me back to reality, and I waited an entire year before doing another attempt. which was Alpha Gaiden.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Huh, I had heard it went into Archives.

Doesn't change that it's been going on for nearly a decade. Whew!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It did. The thread is still viewable, but that archive icon means that it fell in there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Breetai posted:

What weirded me out though is that up until just 2 years ago, some dude on tumblr was role-playing my character on his blog.

This am make head hurt.
come back when you have a tvtropes page

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oh, thank god :sweatdrop:

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

OK I'm here, what did you want me for?

Hoo boy, Andy Waltfeld. So in a thread about LP regrets, I should mention I feel really bad that I jokingly told Andy to kill himself in a video. In context it was clearly a joke, but yeah, not cool, and hard to listen to on rewatch. Everything ended well at least (Andy helped me troll my viewers at the end of that LP).

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
TV Tropes is interesting because a lot of LPer pages are written either by a stalkerish sycophant that analyzes every video for personal information, or by the LPer themself. You can usually tell because the LPer has an average of 3 views but has a MASSIVE page about their hilarious catch phrases.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Danaru posted:

TV Tropes is interesting because a lot of LPer pages are written either by a stalkerish sycophant that analyzes every video for personal information, or by the LPer themself. You can usually tell because the LPer has an average of 3 views but has a MASSIVE page about their hilarious catch phrases.
you can tell mine wasn't written by me because they got my name wrong twice

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

GuavaMoment posted:

OK I'm here, what did you want me for?

Hoo boy, Andy Waltfeld. So in a thread about LP regrets, I should mention I feel really bad that I jokingly told Andy to kill himself in a video. In context it was clearly a joke, but yeah, not cool, and hard to listen to on rewatch. Everything ended well at least (Andy helped me troll my viewers at the end of that LP).

Kudos to you for saying that - I recently watched through your whole Terror from the Deep LP and that was a painful moment to listen to in an already long mission. I was glad to see that there was a happy ending, though!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm heartbroken that there's no TV Tropes page for the greatest LPer of all, Richard Gamingo.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mega64 posted:

I'm heartbroken that there's no TV Tropes page for the greatest LPer of all, Richard Gamingo.

Yet.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Mega64 posted:

You could make it happen.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Why isn't FactsareUseless in here?

Anyway:
I started my first LP last year May or June and finished it last month. I'm currently busy with my second.

Reason I started: I read quite a lot of LPs in the past and they brought me great joy. In turn I felt like trying my hand at one as well, but the only way I could possibly even see myself finishing it is if I actually like it. I don't have the time nor the patience to do something I don't enjoy. I also couldn't bear that the LParchive only had one completed Heroes of might and magic LP. Come on people, that stuff is classic. :colbert:
I didn't really want to do a game that had already been done for my first one, because that would probably just invite unwanted comparisons. In addition, I was afraid of getting too close to some of the LPs and end up being a knockoff copy of them.

In addition, as a tip don't underestimate the technical work you need to do even before starting an LP. This was one of the reasons that I didn't want a very demanding game.

I spent a long time thinking about what game would work for me, the idea for which game finally came when Spermy Smurf was playing Heroes of might and magic 3.
I did a few unseen tests, where I discovered that narrative probably would only end up with me getting a burn out, add to that that I'm not the best writer in the world, so that idea was scrapped. Truth be told, most of the LPs I've enjoyed aren't narrative based.

I posted an actual test update in the Sandcastle, redid everything based on the feedback and tweaked it a little, after some more feedback before finally posting.
I ultimately ended up in some sort of weird hybrid style, but as the LP progressed slowly slid into a style where I mostly just talk about what I'm thinking, why I'm thinking that and adding the stupid stuff that pops into my mind whenever I do anything in life. (in case anyone ever wondered why I link to thematically unrelated songs)
People seemed to enjoy it, I enjoyed it and I just loved seeing even a single unrelated post in my thread. :allears:
I didn't have an actual hard set updating schedule, but I strove for every other week at least. Based on what I've seen lurking rhythm and reliability appeared more important than speed.

Regrets: None currently, but it hasn't been 5 years yet. It was my first and that's clearly visible. I made a couple of mistakes and wrong predictions, some of which I end up calling out during the LP itself.
Before I started I considered that finishing was more important than the journey to get there and I finished it. Considering the amount of LPs that go unfinished I feel that I should be proud of myself.

Even prepared as I was, it was still more work than I thought and some of the things I had wanted to as fun stuff I skipped since it would've just delayed the actual updates with very little to show for it. :shrug:

Also, I use the blasphemous method of capping as I go along and (now) using gooncam for gifs. I originally made gifs with a lovely java program and hammering that screencap button like there was no tomorrow. :f5:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

There's nothing wrong with that LP?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Wait, GuavaMoment told a Gundam character to kill himself? :confused:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've only been a guester, but I deeply regret my contributions to the long gone retsupurae threads. Well, especially that one clusterfuck video. But most of them weren't that bad. Still though, for the most part I was reaching and reaching hard, except for a couple of quips I genuinely think are still funny. Still, a couple quips given the volume of the jokes involved is NOT a good ratio. My guest streams with Arthur still hold up a bit though, IMO. To this day I regret not guesting more on streams. But I often wonder if I think I'm funnier than I actually am; God knows that happened in the retsupurae threads. Says a lot I got namedropped in a rant that got turned into a retsupurae video on Proteus's YouTube, and it says nothing particularly good.

I have relatively few regrets though, and I've actually gained some friends through LP which is cool. :)

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
why is tvtropes a thing

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Putty posted:

why is tvtropes a thing

Because retards need self-validation.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
In before someone says tv tropes has a right to exist when it really doesn't.

FAKE EDIT: Why are there fanfiction pages for lets players?!:negative:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Your LP of Sudoku is the greatest video on youtube and I will hear no claims otherwise :colbert:

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

Thank christ I don't have a

Well, poo poo, but I'm not named on the actual page, that's a plus, right?

But yeah, Phantasy Star 4. I'm still fond of it, in a way. But goddamn were times really that desperate back then? I only even attempted it because of all the failed attempts leading up to it, and clearly should've played the game more than once before in my life based on how much stuff I missed and how much I actually featured grinding one of the easiest JRPGs out there.

And let's not forget all the shoehorned commentary, culminating in the final update being like 90% fanfiction.

Come to think of it, it's probably a good thing I never made another LP.

EDIT: I should mention that the surprise guest contributions were much appreciated, particularly that romhack boss run which was nuts.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Really? That's all I get? Frankly, I'm disappointed.

Well, I'll give them this much, Leonard is a pretty goddamn loving dumb excuse for a video game protagonist, and "Leonard is dumb" was a recurrent intra-LP meme, so... :shrug:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
What I learned from BN4, SF2, and then FMW is that it's way more fun to LP games you actually like.

Also that things are much easier when you're working with other people.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

nine-gear crow posted:

Really? That's all I get? Frankly, I'm disappointed.

Well, I'll give them this much, Leonard is a pretty goddamn loving dumb excuse for a video game protagonist, and "Leonard is dumb" was a recurrent intra-LP meme, so... :shrug:

gently caress, your LPing style got compared to The Dark Id's. I'd probably put that on par with getting your voice compared to ResearchIndicates's.

And to continue this wonderful train of vanity searching, I'm not explicitly mentioned on TVTropes. Thats what I learned today. Marvelous. I would have figured that I'd at least be linked on the Unterwegs in Düsterburg page, given that as far as I can tell, my LP would be the primary resource for seeing the game in English (there were translation plans, but they never seemed to pan out, from what I can tell - shame, really, more people should play that game, it's great), but I'm taking this situation as a win regardless. Hooray for obscurity!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I get a small disambiguation mention in the page for the actual Mega64 group and that's it. That's still too many mentions of me on TV Tropes.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
to the guy who edits the lp tvtropes page: you are hella gay man

edit: im famous on tvtropes now

Putty fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 4, 2015

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I don't seem to have a TVT page of my very own but some things I said pop up in a few somewhat curious places.

My favourite is this little "quote" page, in which I am, notably, the only actual sourced and attributed honest-to-god quote.

Oh, and I have the dubious honour of being the page quote for Spiteful AI... with a quote that was actually mistaken in context. I mean c'mon man, I complained shittons about Fire Emblem AI across various LPs and you choose the one time I was wrong? And it wasn't even from one of my own LPs!

Oh, and there's some more people saying mean things about me re: Danganronpa 2. I guess I should clarify my previous regret re: that; I regret my conduct during most of that, but I stand by most of the actual work I did.

My deepest, darkest Danganronpa 2 regret is I have come to agree somewhat with Oren's decision not to use my Komaeda line "He [Gundam Tanaka] talks like Doctor Doom, but he's really more like Doctor Doolittle." But only somewhat.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Fedule posted:

Oh, and I have the dubious honour of being the page quote for Spiteful AI... with a quote that was actually mistaken in context. I mean c'mon man, I complained shittons about Fire Emblem AI across various LPs and you choose the one time I was wrong? And it wasn't even from one of my own LPs!

They don't even quote you properly, they have my comment in there too. :allears:

E: I'm the page quote for something like Graphical Oddities where I talked about Harken stretching to twice his height during a smear and they quote my FE7 LP a couple times but that's about it. :confuoot:

Artix fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 4, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I'm only in LP/funny. And only for the Tacticses.

Nothing about TWEWY? Come on it was like 12 times better than those. :(

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Apparently I'm on there twice. First is an outright lie on the Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction page:

The second is in the Your Mileage May Vary page for Bioshock 1:

Yet nothing from any of the LPs I actually gave a poo poo about.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

What is this and why do I have it?

Those pages are insanely detailed.

Uh, well, I guess I'll share. I had a great time making some LPs back in the day (Animal Crossing and Oregon Trail), I still think they're pretty good. I unfortunately had to shelve a more recent Carmen Sandiego LP because each update took between 10-15 hours and I've been heading up a new game called Killers and Thieves while the other guys at Stoic are making Banner Saga 2. I've been too busy to keep up with that but hopefully I can dredge it back up in the future and finish it after Killers launches.

I think "Aw gently caress, Dinosaurs" was lost to history, it was a shockingly successful CYOA succession story where everyone did amazing stuff. I also did 80% of a Mirror's Edge LP that I regret never finishing. I posted the first part to sandcastle and everybody hated the subtitles on an action game, so I canned it.

I have some interesting stories about Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing and the Oregon Trail LP. I got approached by an agent-type-guy who worked for an in-between house that sells screenplays to production studios. Obviously I don't own Animal Crossing or Oregon Trail, so those can't be adapted, but one of the guys at Dreamworks read my LPs and liked them enough that he asked me to write a pitch for an animated movie called "Scoundrels" based on a comic called Zogonia. I was also contacted by Cartoon Network to come up with a premise and wrote a one-page for a a show that was basically "The Transporter", except with a kid who was a delivery boy who got accidentally involved in bad stuff. A french company called Moonscoop had me write a pitch for a Code Lyoko movie (surprised if anyone recognizes that name).

Don't get too excited though. Even though I talked directly to all these people and they were all very excited on the phone, nothing ever happened. In the movie/tv biz, it's standard practice for 4-6 months to go by between emails and every lead fell through. As an example of how communication goes, the entirety of the reply I heard from Dreamworks after waiting 6 months on a document I spent 25+ hours on was "More like Blues Brothers". I was still working full-time at BioWare, so I pretty much said gently caress it to the movie industry.

But, I did essentially get "paid" to do some work for Dreamworks, so I got no problem putting that on my resume :)

In that time I also worked on an original screenplay called "Leviathan" that was about a band of dragon hunters. It also never got picked up, but the artist on The Banner Saga liked it so much he signed on to start a company with me. So in a real way, The Banner Saga and everything I do after it probably wouldn't exist without the LP forums.

That was a pretty crazy couple years. Thanks, LP!

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

meteor9 posted:

But yeah, Phantasy Star 4. I'm still fond of it, in a way. But goddamn were times really that desperate back then? I only even attempted it because of all the failed attempts leading up to it, and clearly should've played the game more than once before in my life based on how much stuff I missed and how much I actually featured grinding one of the easiest JRPGs out there.

And let's not forget all the shoehorned commentary, culminating in the final update being like 90% fanfiction.

For what it's worth, I think you did a great job with PS4. It's probably my all-time favorite JRPG, and every time I consider doing an LP of it, I look at yours instead and figure you did a good job, so there's no need for another one.

• Locked thread