Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, I feel Commandos could be a lot cooler if they got put into some kind of leadership role. Zed time panic button would own so much.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

splifyphus posted:

Right now commandos feel kind of limited as a class. They aren't as good against packs compared to support and berserker, and medic always has a lot of options and things to do. Commandos pop heads, and see stalkers, and give everyone else the ability to see stalkers and thereby become redundant and passive.

Solution: give them the ability to manually toggle zed-time on a cooldown/uses-per round basis for the team. This would give them more of a 'commander' type rear-guard feel, and give the group a limited panic button. Coordinated groups could be reloaded and positioned for maximum headshot broadside effect. And it would be loving awesome.

Seems cool. So it'll never ever be considered. Cynicism aside, I do feel like the Commando is the oddball out of the current classes. The Medic has the healing weapons, the Support gets the big shooty bang-bangs, and the Berserker gets the cool melee toys and is a potential cockblock for the big zeds. The Commando just sees invisible zeds and sees enemy health? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Commando seems a bit underwhelming at the moment.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Rayjenkins posted:

Seems cool. So it'll never ever be considered. Cynicism aside, I do feel like the Commando is the oddball out of the current classes. The Medic has the healing weapons, the Support gets the big shooty bang-bangs, and the Berserker gets the cool melee toys and is a potential cockblock for the big zeds. The Commando just sees invisible zeds and sees enemy health? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Commando seems a bit underwhelming at the moment.

Have you not played KF1? The classes, except for Beserker really, pretty much retained their preincarnations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The zed time on demand thing would make the level 25 perks not complete poo poo.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Skoll posted:

Have you not played KF1? The classes, except for Beserker really, pretty much retained their preincarnations.

I played it a fair amount. Tradition does not mean it shouldn't be changed. To be fair, I rarely if ever played commando much because I didn't find their talents to be particularly useful. Good thing I'm not in charge of development.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Commando is one of those things I really like on Normal (NEVER gave it a chance in KF1, Thanks KF2 crosshair option!), but my rare stabs at hard give me the impression it will fall off in effectivness and ammo longevity pretty hard due to my lack of Terminator like precision in landing nothing but headshoots at all times on flailing scrakes, pounds, and hans.

This impression isn't helped by the fact that past normal, even with that +40% to Pistol/Knife Talent, the 9MM can't one shot a clot skull. Oh wow even if I aim perfectly I have to use literally twice the ammo on trash, when waves are also bigger, why even bother with this Pistol or talent at all? Sure I know the 9mm is basically an emergency oh poo poo weapon, but I was expecting more from that Talent and popping a dozen skulls with one 9mm clip on Normal let me pretend I was Good At Ammo Management or whatever.

I have no problems with Commandos being relegated to trash clearing, but even trash can become ammo sinks while on Hard so I can imagine what Suicidal and HoE would be like if the rifle's can't pop a clot's skull in one go on those difficulties(hopefully I'm overestimating).. Meanwhile with Support, I don't notice much of a difference at all clearing trash away with one or two barrels.

EDIT: vvv

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Trash really shouldn't become an ammo sink on any difficulty. According to the stats spreadsheet available, only Sirens, Husks, Scrakes, and Pounds have health that scale with difficulty. Everything else's health stays the same.
I admit my views on the matter are highly skewed by the 9mm situation.
"I need twice as much ammo for X when making headshots, even with a +40% talent and +10% class bonus. Therefore, body shots will be even worse. Beep Boop expect 20 base damage guns to fare as poorly on Suicidal as 15 base damage guns fare on hard".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 3, 2015

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Everything in KF1 except Firebug was super good. I'm not sure how much that will translate into KF2 because everything is so limited right now. I will say I think berserker is complete dogshit

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Section Z posted:

I have no problems with Commandos being relegated to trash clearing, but even trash can become ammo sinks while on Hard so I can imagine what Suicidal and HoE would be like if the rifle's can't pop a clot's skull in one go on those difficulties.. Meanwhile with Support, I don't notice much of a difference at all clearing trash away with one or two barrels.

Trash really shouldn't become an ammo sink on any difficulty. According to the stats spreadsheet available, only Sirens, Husks, Scrakes, and Pounds have health that scale with difficulty. Everything else's health stays the same.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Rayjenkins posted:

I played it a fair amount. Tradition does not mean it shouldn't be changed. To be fair, I rarely if ever played commando much because I didn't find their talents to be particularly useful. Good thing I'm not in charge of development.

While I do agree with you on some level, and I do think the Commando could use some changing, it's role has always primarily been trash clearing. True, you don't see it a lot on the higher difficulties, and true it was a tedious bitch to level up in KF1, but I feel with just a few tweaks Commando would be a way solid class. It's just the fact of the matter is though that if they gave it stuff to rival Support, there'd be no point in taking anything else.

Yeah, just being able to see health and Stalkers sounds lame, but when you're right there in the middle of hell breaking loose, that poo poo kind of matters. The game will throw like seven Stalkers at a time at you now and they really are invisible this time. Commando can see them out past 20m away and with that perk selected, so can the rest of the team. It doesn't sound like much but when you're completely swarmed last thing you want is to let a zed get behind you that could have been easily prevented if you could just have seen the loving thing.

As for seeing health bars, there is literally no downside to being able to call out how close to dead Hans or a FP is. When we would get into running fights with Patriarch on KF 1, believe me it fuckin helped to know how much further we had to go until he was dead.

Overall though, yeah I think the Commando needs some serious buffs. It needs its recoil passives back, it needs a major perk overhaul ( they all do imo ), and it needs detonate on contact grenades. It'd also be nice if it got a slight movement speed bonus since if you're a Commando and Hans is focused on you, you are loving dead, hands down.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

please just give the varmint rifle decent iron sights, thanks

also, commando needs recoil-dampening back

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 3, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Section Z posted:

I have no problems with Commandos being relegated to trash clearing, but even trash can become ammo sinks while on Hard so I can imagine what Suicidal and HoE would be like if the rifle's can't pop a clot's skull in one go on those difficulties(hopefully I'm overestimating).. Meanwhile with Support, I don't notice much of a difference at all clearing trash away with one or two barrels.
All the trash mobs don't get any more health past hard so it won't really be an issue to pop heads. Only Sirens, Husks, Scrakes and Fleshpounds continue to gain health.

splifyphus posted:

Right now commandos feel kind of limited as a class. They aren't as good against packs compared to support and berserker, and medic always has a lot of options and things to do. Commandos pop heads, and see stalkers, and give everyone else the ability to see stalkers and thereby become redundant and passive.

Solution: give them the ability to manually toggle zed-time on a cooldown/uses-per round basis for the team. This would give them more of a 'commander' type rear-guard feel, and give the group a limited panic button. Coordinated groups could be reloaded and positioned for maximum headshot broadside effect. And it would be loving awesome.
To be fair popping heads is pretty important, and as distance increases the effectiveness swings towards Commando for groups. We'll see how well that works out though once Sharpshooter gets put back into the game. Commando has always been sort of a middle of the road class in terms of effectiveness which kind of broke down the higher you went in difficulty in KF1.

As for Zed time it's not quite the same as Zed time on demand but Commandos can reset Zed time up to 6 times at level 25 (starting at level 5 you get 1 extra reset every 5 levels), whereas every other class can only do it once.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

splifyphus posted:

I like the idea that the Commando can more heavily focus on ZED time, it's definitely different from the other classes. Maybe replace Back up with the ability to pop ZED time once per wave at will per 10 levels, although with a bunch of Commandos you could run into the big guys being a non threat.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

darkhand posted:

Everything in KF1 except Firebug was super good.

While firebugs would anger FPs and scrakes, they were magic at clearing out trash on early waves and I had lots of fun with them. Being immune to husk fire and their own grenades was pretty helpful, too. And lighting the Patriarch up so people could track him when he cloaked was pretty useful.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Gromit posted:

While firebugs would anger FPs and scrakes, they were magic at clearing out trash on early waves and I had lots of fun with them. Being immune to husk fire and their own grenades was pretty helpful, too. And lighting the Patriarch up so people could track him when he cloaked was pretty useful.

The problem is that it overlapped with commando and demolition without being as good as either in a pinch. Fire also had the problem of blinding the players around you while you spray it

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I bought KF1 back in 2009 and loving hated it. I couldn't finish a single game because there were way too many zeds and not nearly enough ammo to even get through wave 2. Then I played it again 10 minutes and it actually seems like a totally fine game now because they dialed back the insanity a little. In fact, I kinda like it! Just in time to never ever need to play it again :v:

Is the early access worth buying yet for a non-fan?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Insert name here posted:

All the trash mobs don't get any more health past hard so it won't really be an issue to pop heads. Only Sirens, Husks, Scrakes and Fleshpounds continue to gain health.

While that is generally comforting to know if true, I just sent my casual rear end into some solo suicidal and solo HoE to check some things regarding Headclicking trash.

20 Base damage Medic pistol, medic has no damage buffs. Medic Pistol can oneshot clot and gorefast skulls on every solo difficulty. Normal, Hard, Suicidal, and HoE. The 9MM pistol in the hands of both a medic, and a Commando with the Backup talent, take 1 headshot on Normal, 2 headshots hard, Suicidal, and HoE.

Could somebody explain what I'm missing here? If trash HP really doesn't improve, why does the 9MM stop being able to 1 shot trash skulls past normal, even when you are stacking it with damage bonuses? Does the Commando inherent damage passive not work for them? Is the Backup talent broken? (After all, apparently their other lv 10 talent was broken until recently)? Is there an specific penalty to the 9MM itself on higher difficulties?

Also, holy poo poo a fresh face checking out higher difficulties is :stare: Dat slasher tactical dive roll. My level 5 Medic casual rear end can't quite make it through Solo Suicidal wave 2 oops bloat puke is actually loving dangerous there goes my last 50ish health as I'm healing myself

Alabaster White posted:

I bought KF1 back in 2009 and loving hated it. I couldn't finish a single game because there were way too many zeds and not nearly enough ammo to even get through wave 2. Then I played it again 10 minutes and it actually seems like a totally fine game now because they dialed back the insanity a little. In fact, I kinda like it! Just in time to never ever need to play it again :v:

I am a terrible casual who only sorta got into KF1 as support only (so I could ignore ironsight aiming forever) and wrote off Solo mode in KF1, and I find KF2 a blast. I can actually clear Normal solo with all the current classes (even though Multiplayer is the intended and designed for gameplay experience), and the new option to add a wide crosshair when not using your ironsights really helps a ton. I am the worst in the world at deliberate headshoots in most viddy games and I will hipfire the skulls off 10 Clots with a 15 in the clip pistol while fleeing for my loving life, just for that little subconscious help it brings.

It did take me a few rounds to get a feel for things like not using up all my ammo ever even on Normal though. Plus you really feel the lack of bonuses when you start off at level Zero. Even hitting level 1 as shotguns man Suppport makes a world of killing power difference.

EDIT: vvv Yeah, I did missread the "past hard" bit, but that still doesn't change the mystery of "Why 20 +0% damage gun oneshot skull, while 15 +40% (+50%?) gun need two?"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 3, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Section Z posted:

Could somebody explain what I'm missing here? If trash HP really doesn't improve, why does the 9MM stop being able to 1 shot trash skulls past normal, even when you are stacking it with damage bonuses? Does the Commando inherent damage passive not work for them? Is the Backup talent broken? (After all, apparently their other lv 10 talent was broken until recently)? Is there an specific penalty to the 9MM itself on higher difficulties?
Operative phrase is past hard. Everything gets reduced health on normal. With a 1.4x multiplier the 9mm should be popping heads in one shot so if it doesn't either there's weird math going on or it's bugged. Or both.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Section Z posted:

EDIT: vvv Yeah, I did missread the "past hard" bit, but that still doesn't change the mystery of "Why 20 +0% damage gun oneshot skull, while 15 +40% (+50%?) gun need two?"

Because it's bugged

Whittle
Sep 18, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

Is this between players and player controlled zeds or is it just standard TDM between classes?

Nah I was on about the server admin "WebAdmin" console (i.e. kicking people who are idling or being a pain)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Commando was pretty good in KF1 even on Sui or HoE, the FN Fal was really drat strong and helped a ton for the meatier zeds, combined with the M4 you had ammo for days.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Whittle posted:

Nah I was on about the server admin "WebAdmin" console (i.e. kicking people who are idling or being a pain)

Well poo poo, a PvP mode would still be pretty cool.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Alabaster White posted:

I have about 500 hours in KF1 but kf2 is just not there yet. There's so few weapons and maps right now. It looks stylish as heck and it's got that weird charm to it, so I can see some promise. It doesn't feel dumbed down or anything like that, which I was afraid of it being. It honestly seems a little harder, but I may not be used to the maps or low level perks, etc. If KF1 is your jam I would keep an eye on KF2 for sure. For anyone else it's probably not worth it until some updates come out.

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????
I've been pretty disappointed so far by the early access, I would say it's dumbed down quite a bit. Mostly because the hitboxes are enormous compared to KF1, and the sprint is very overpowered. They're trying a console release for this one, and it shows. It's a fast-paced sensory-overload action bukakke, and it gets tiring quickly. I feel like I'm already about done with it.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Stink gently caress Rob posted:

I've been pretty disappointed so far by the early access, I would say it's dumbed down quite a bit. Mostly because the hitboxes are enormous compared to KF1, and the sprint is very overpowered. They're trying a console release for this one, and it shows. It's a fast-paced sensory-overload action bukakke, and it gets tiring quickly. I feel like I'm already about done with it.

lol

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The hitboxes are now actually the size they're supposed to be and not just at the neck, lol.

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006

dogstile posted:

The hitboxes are now actually the size they're supposed to be and not just at the neck, lol.
All you had to do was aim for the center of the head. What's wrong with that? Besides that gamers can't handle basic tasks anymore

For real this game has lovely pacing and the fact that you spend every wave dashing back and forth, getting kills relatively easily without aiming down sights has a lot to do with that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

All you had to do was aim for the center of the head. What's wrong with that? Besides that gamers can't handle basic tasks anymore

For real this game has lovely pacing and the fact that you spend every wave dashing back and forth, getting kills relatively easily without aiming down sights has a lot to do with that.

Considering I mostly played support in KF1, that doesn't really sound like much of a change in how often I used the iron sight.

Though If anything, I use the ironsight in KF2 waaaaay more than I ever did in KF1 despite how much I like having that wide crosshair option. Even with the support. For whatever reason I can't noscope bloat heads with a pump shotgun in KF2 as easily as I could in KF1, just one of those oddball things.

Earlier someone was saying the varmint rifle ironsight is terrible but I find it just fine. Meanwhile, I am apparently at a loss at how to ironsight goods with a nailgun.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 3, 2015

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
It's just dawned on me that they removed <insult players> in KF2. I don't even know what to think right now.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

lol if u aimed down sights in kf1

lol if u aimed for the center of the head

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

One major upside for Commando, that people often ignore, is that they get % bonus damage to all weapons, not only to their perk ones, which makes them surprisingly flexible when it comes down to choosing their arsenal or leveling up side perks.

That said, I am still mainly a Medic because it is the best.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Well, if you were aiming at the middle of their head using ironsights, you would be missing half the time, so I find this really funny. As for not aiming down the sights, I almost never did that on KF1, even when firing down a huge custom hallway. Hipfiring almost had no spread. If anything, I definitely use iron sights a lot more now because it groups my shells together.

Maybe you were one of those people that thought KF1 was really hard and not for casuals when the reality is that I could drag my five non gamer buddies through a session without dying just fine because it really wasn't that hard to get into. If so, i'm laughing at you.

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
This is the animation glitch where the Scrake is supposed to be stunned and leaning forward, but sometimes he plays the idle animation instead? Yeah, I'm sure you knew that, whatever. KF1 veterans more than anyone aught to know how relatively little precision is required to pop heads in this game.

It ultimately didn't matter much if you aimed down sights or not in KF1, because you couldn't sprint without switching to knife and being vulnerable. In KF2 if you aren't shooting, you could be running around looking for more zombies to shoot (and that doesn't necessarily mean running off alone, that could mean checking entrances if if your team is held up somewhere). That's the whole point of COD sprint, it's designed as a fast-forward button for whenever you aren't murdering. It doesn't fit in Killing Floor, it's too much.

What if sprint was faster, but also limited? An "oh poo poo" feature that you wouldn't want to use unless you had to?

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

darkhand posted:

Everything in KF1 except Firebug was super good. I'm not sure how much that will translate into KF2 because everything is so limited right now. I will say I think berserker is complete dogshit

how could you be so wrong

Husk gun could stun scrakes with a full charge meaning you could solo scrakes. Also each blast would destroy any trash around the scrake. Flare pistol is op as hell and is god tier for kiting, especially off perk on a medic or zerk. Dual flares could solo a scrake by getting them down to their rage health and then unloading all 12 shots into their face. The flame thrower wrecks trash for the first few waves, and you're immune to husks. It's really the laziest class to play. Commando was definitely the hardest. It's tricky to take down scrakes and fp's as them.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

They are an ammo sink because they run faster and dodge your shots better. Watch people shooting pistols at zeds. When they are far away they pick their shots. When the zeds get close they spam. The zeds charge you on HOE. Also there is hardly any ammo boxes and free weapons laying around.

It's a fast-paced sensory-overload action bukakke, and it gets tiring quickly.

Yeah, I feel like they should slow down the run speed of players and zeds a little. It does get a little to crazy. The pacing was better in KF1. The main complaint with KF2 is the teleporting though. Being the last one left and kicking rear end is really frustrating when half the poo poo you'r kiting teleports to the top of a stair well right in front of you.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 3, 2015

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Did you guys know that Unreal was the first mainstream shooter game that allowed running, but didn't have a sprint button? It had a walk button instead. Moot point considering all the quake and variants had a toggle run option, but the marketing team used it - I remember reading them boasting about having to run away from flora and fauna, etc.

That's the whole point of COD sprint, it's designed as a fast-forward button for whenever you aren't murdering. It doesn't fit in Killing Floor, it's too much.

What if sprint was faster, but also limited? An "oh poo poo" feature that you wouldn't want to use unless you had to?

:allears:

Have you tried playing above hard, per chance?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

This is a terrible idea. Also, the CoD sprint is always limited.

The way sprint is implemented in KF2 is just fine.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Where's the best place to hold on Biotics Lab? The pubbies seem to have adopted that crossroads room, which invariably turns into a mess that ends with us dead as soon as anything that isn't trash mobs show up.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

MooCowlian posted:

Where's the best place to hold on Biotics Lab? The pubbies seem to have adopted that crossroads room, which invariably turns into a mess that ends with us dead as soon as anything that isn't trash mobs show up.

There isn't one. The meat grinding room is a good place to hang out, but you have to move around within that area at least. Only legit camping spot I know on any map is the trucks on outpost.

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
RO2 had a combination of an energy meter and a run button that always worked, but wasn't nearly as quick as the sprint, what about that?

Musluk posted:

:allears:

Have you tried playing above hard, per chance?
If there's zeds that can't be headshotted easily, then using and abusing the hell out of sprint becomes that much more important. Sprinting backwards from Slashers to shoot them before they can do the roll, for example, is really powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musluk
May 23, 2011

If there's zeds that can't be headshotted easily, then using and abusing the hell out of sprint becomes that much more important. Sprinting backwards from Slashers to shoot them before they can do the roll, for example, is really powerful.

Have you tried any difficulty above hard?

inb4 i was only pretending