Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

I don't think the gathering quests are that bad in this one but I will say it's a really dumb design choice to make you do a couple of those "kill these small monsters" quests to start, because the game and controls really aren't designed around fast small targets and it seems clunky as hell to newcomers. I remember thinking "gently caress this game what the hell" in Tri when I was trying to swat Jaggi with a greatsword as my introduction to the franchise.

I don't mind that aspect, I just hate that the game seems to make finding those monsters near impossible during those missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

epitasis posted:

anyone want to be my bravely default friend since I have none and it seems to kinda matter for this game?

I'm 2466-3759-6144

i also play theatrhythm and fire emblem and well that's the bulk of it really
I guess it time to finally beat the intro after starting this game on Feb. 7 2014.

2105 8771 2927

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't mind that aspect, I just hate that the game seems to make finding those monsters near impossible during those missions.

Every monster has a more-or-less fixed starting position in each area that you can suss out (or look up). Then use paintballs to track them.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Every monster has a more-or-less fixed starting position in each area that you can suss out (or look up). Then use paintballs to track them.

Also, if you find a big hot air balloon thing chilling out in the area, you can Wave at it from the Gestures menu and it'll pop up monsters on your map for a few seconds. Super handy!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

raditts posted:

I'm not really feeling the Puzzle and Dragon game from the demo, the puzzle mechanic is annoying as hell and doesn't seem to have any particular strategy to it. $30 is way too much to see if I'd like the actual game, maybe if they had them separately for $10-$15.

I can understand not liking or understanding the gameplay of PAD at first but to suggest there is no strategy seems willfully ignorant at best. There is clear strategy present not only in forming as many combos as possible in each turn at the board but also in team formation and skill use. I do get the desire for the games to be available separately, though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Goon suggested Boxyboy awhile back. While I enjoy how simple it looks... the fact it only has like a single song and is just black and white just kinda hurts it in my opinion. I'm on world 12 and just sick of this song at this point and wondering why they couldn't at least put more effort into the music.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

So to fight one insanely scripted monster I need to gather antlers and butterflies for 3 hours? No thanks monster hunter, back to GameStop.

You should be friends with that guy in the PS4 thread who hates Bloodborne but liked The Order. Bad Gamer Friends.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I can understand not liking or understanding the gameplay of PAD at first but to suggest there is no strategy seems willfully ignorant at best. There is clear strategy present not only in forming as many combos as possible in each turn at the board but also in team formation and skill use. I do get the desire for the games to be available separately, though.

I'm the opposite of the person you quoted. I've never tried PAD before, but the demo got me interested, even with how short it was. Not interested in the phone game for some reason, but throw Mario characters in there and I'll spend $30 on it, sure!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So I just found out what the gimmick is gonna be for Fire Emblem If and are you loving serious

It locks your entire game to one campaign? Not even the save, if you buy it digitally it literally starts as SMT If then when you make the decision split it changes your copy to that campaign and you have to pay to try the other one.

I hope the NA version has them realize they can't pull this poo poo especially with a series that barely sells outside of Japan except for one freak occurrence

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You mean Fire Emblem if, right?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So I just found out what the gimmick is gonna be for Fire Emblem If and are you loving serious

It locks your entire game to one campaign? Not even the save, if you buy it digitally it literally starts as SMT If then when you make the decision split it changes your copy to that campaign and you have to pay to try the other one.

I hope the NA version has them realize they can't pull this poo poo especially with a series that barely sells outside of Japan except for one freak occurrence

SMTxFE and the new Fire Emblem are not the same.

Also was it confirmed its gonna work that way over here? I thought we were getting the version where it had both sides or something like that.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i dunno what tf that guy is talking about

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah in my head SMT and FE are mixed up these days :v:

epitasis posted:

i dunno what tf that guy is talking about

The 2 campaigns in FE: If are actually 2 seperate games. You can only play one campaign unless you pay to play the other as well.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's a third campaign that's paid DLC, too.

No, we don't know how it's gonna work over here.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's a third campaign that's paid DLC, too.

No, we don't know how it's gonna work over here.

I thought the general consensus was that we're getting the GOTY-equivalent version with that already in the game or something?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
People are speculating that the international release will contain both of the standard scenarios but Nintendo hasn't actually said anything either way.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Nintendo's really warmed up to DLC and IAP's, huh? Eh, if it works well good for them I reckon.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Yeah in my head SMT and FE are mixed up these days :v:

The 2 campaigns in FE: If are actually 2 seperate games. You can only play one campaign unless you pay to play the other as well.

That's the way it is in Japan, and was actually brought up in the Japanese Direct about the game. In other regions, they didn't mention anything about the game being structured that way, which makes me think it'll be different outside Japan.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

KingSlime posted:

Nintendo's really warmed up to DLC and IAP's, huh? Eh, if it works well good for them I reckon.

Nintendo has been slowly easing themselves into a more modern big video game corporate business model in the last year. It's actually working out well so far and they haven't done anything crazy yet. The advantage of getting in late is that they know what does and doesn't work and so there's not a lot of testing the waters involved.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Wait, I thought we knew that IF would be two separate games anyway. Seems like you'd just buy whatever version you wanted from the eShop, or buy the other one.

I'm not sure why they'd do it that way if they're releasing cart versions. You can't do that on a cart at all.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Bean posted:

Wait, I thought we knew that IF would be two separate games anyway. Seems like you'd just buy whatever version you wanted from the eShop, or buy the other one.

I'm not sure why they'd do it that way if they're releasing cart versions. You can't do that on a cart at all.

Yeah that's a quirk of the DL version. Gives you more time to think of what you want I guess.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mmmmmmmooodsssss

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bean posted:

The cart version is 2 different games. Fire emblem black and white basically.

Good to hear they never mentioned any of that stuff in the other directs and explicitly mentioned it for Japan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

each campaign is as long as awakening was on its own

like it's a weird business practice but it's not like you're getting screwed in terms of content.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Endorph posted:

each campaign is as long as awakening was on its own

like it's a weird business practice but it's not like you're getting screwed in terms of content.

So... we could sum it up like this then:

You buy the game digitally, this gets you the first 5 chapters. You can play through these all you want: It's in order to decide which army you want to join/which version you want your FE if game to be.

* Hoshido is similiar to Awakening with World Map and grinding potential and has the standard Rout and Kill Boss objectives.
* Nohr is basically the classic Fire Emblem way: A linear progress with limited resources. Most chapters will also have secondary objectives in addition to the usual ones.

Once you've made your choice, you turn the game into the version you want by downloading the rest of the content from that version. Since you've already paid for one version, you get to download the version you ultimately commited to for free. Because the content betwen the two versions differ make a difference in story, units, and gameplay, you essentially get to play the game you ultimately picked.

You must get the other two campaigns as paid DLC: Each campaign you buy and download is basically one more game worth of content (gameplay, different story, yadda yadda) for you to try out, essentially meaning that you'll have a game with about thrice as much content in the end.

So in the end, get the digital version if you want it digitally/are indecisive.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

This is a horrible way to release a game.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

Maybe, but I've seen worse ways.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

Wasn't Awakening almost the last fire emblem game and it only continued because of the unexpectedly great sales? It seems really weird to me to try such an unusual release after your big hit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Andrast posted:

Wasn't Awakening almost the last fire emblem game and it only continued because of the unexpectedly great sales? It seems really weird to me to try such an unusual release after your big hit.
They're trying to see if they should continue with the Awakening styled world maps or if they should go back to the classic FE style.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I will have three Game of the Years in 2016, thank you Nintendo.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Andrast posted:

As far as I know, Fire Emblem if came about because they wanted to take the "choice of Arran or Samson" to the extreme, rather than "trying to mix the best of all the previous Fire Emblem games in celebration of the franchise".

So the whole reason Fire Emblem if exists is to see what happens when that choice becomes the deciding factor to how everything unfolds... which apparently resulted in two games based on what happens "if I picked that choice instead of the other choice".

The bonus campaign apparently came about because the author who wrote for them thought "What if I don't want to pick a side. What happens then?", and then that sparked the idea for a third scenario.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Volt Catfish posted:

I think it's actually kind of clever, to just have all the campaigns as DLC with one of them being free when you buy the game. But I can tell this is the kind of thing that's going to bring back :qq: ON DISC DLC :qq: for a new generation though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If both of the campaigns are actually similar in length to awakening, I won't be complaining at all. I'll just be happy to get twice the Fire Emblem.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It CAN probably be done well. Most of the time it won't be done well though.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

This new Fire Emblem sounds a lot like it has the archaic SMT alignment system.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Andrast posted:

If both of the campaigns are actually similar in length to awakening, I won't be complaining at all. I'll just be happy to get twice the Fire Emblem.
They've said that 5/6ths of the games will be unique based on your choice.

Since you make the choice 5 chapters in then that says there's about 30 chapters per route.

Awakening had 26 main chapters and 17 paralogues before DLC.

Since Hoshido has a world map it will probably have side battles and stuff too.

It's a little bit shorter than Awakening but 30 chapters is about as long as most FE games pre-awakening were. FE7 had 35 maps or so, FE5 had 30ish, FE9 had exactly 30, so on and so forth.

littleorv posted:

This new Fire Emblem sounds a lot like it has the archaic SMT alignment system.
not really. you just pick between two sides. there's no LAW or CHAOS shoehorning you just pick a side.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Yeah, call me skeptical but I'm not really buying the "No you see it's like you're getting TWO/THREE game's worth of content!". At absolute best I see them offering 1.5x the content at essentially double the cost plus whatever they decide to charge for the DLC campaign.

That said I really do hope the point is moot for the International release since this is one of my favorite game series and the last thing I want is for IntSys to pull a Suikoden and destroy the franchise with terrible development decisions.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if they made 47 maps for awakening + like 30 more as DLC I can easily see them making 60 maps for Hoshido/Nohr and then another 25 for the third route as DLC. Like, the numbers work out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

fount of knowledge posted:

Yeah, call me skeptical but I'm not really buying the "No you see it's like you're getting TWO/THREE game's worth of content!". At absolute best I see them offering 1.5x the content at essentially double the cost plus whatever they decide to charge for the DLC campaign.

That said I really do hope the point is moot for the International release since this is one of my favorite game series and the last thing I want is for IntSys to pull a Suikoden and destroy the franchise with terrible development decisions.

So despite them detailing out how much content you're getting...you're not believing their math?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah no I know that's not really what you said at all though!!!

anyway yeah not worried about it, mother nintendo has our best interests at heart which is why all that nonsense was locked away in the japanese direct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Like 60 maps isn't that impossible to do especially considering the development team probably expanded after Awakening's success. If they were launching the third route at the same time I could see your point but there's a reason that's coming later.