Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm really impressed that he pulled that off without smoke bombing the entire group before jumping. Sadly on the new game plus modes they start giving the gunmen armor and you can't take down the lot of them nearly as easy.

You'd have a good chunk of benefits for playing through NG+ though, like special combo disarm and destroy. Gunmen are a thing of the past! Not to mention shock gloves and glue grenade. For what it's worth I expected to take a lot more damage since I'm playing on hard, it's probably a benefit that the guns and the fists subtract from separate pools.

And then of course you have the smoke bomb option to start first, that'll get you some big pain to start on them with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I avoided them on New Game + since everyone having armor made it hard to knock them out.

And yeah, Branden was in Batman: Year One, too, alongside Flass. He was the guy Batman beat the crap out of for almost harming that cat.

Also, him beating up Loose Lips (again) in the police station seemed largely unnecessary. Guy wasn't even doing anything.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 3, 2015

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It was the 2nd real predator room actually, scruffy. There was one in the Final Offer. Playing along has made me a lot more forgiving of when you get thrashed in these combat sections. The system is inexplicably worse than in Arkham City. I consider myself to be an above average player and even I tend to get hit at least once in mid level fights. And what's worse is that if you take a hit you're likely to have been mid-animation or trying to counter, so you're going to eat another one or two.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Are you not doing the plaques? I completely missed them on my playthrough and only found out they were a collectible after I looked up what I had missed. I had 100% most thing but my overall was still lower than I expected.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'll be getting them as I see them for now. They're a little obscure but I will definitely be picking them up for the roundup at the end.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Waltzing Along posted:

Are you not doing the plaques? I completely missed them on my playthrough and only found out they were a collectible after I looked up what I had missed. I had 100% most thing but my overall was still lower than I expected.

Plaques? Is this Thi4f? :v:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nalesh posted:

Plaques? Is this Thi4f? :v:

There are a bunch of plaques scattered around the city that you need to scan. Like Anarky signs but much smaller.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

That SWAT fight. :allears:

Is there any payoff for doing that fight? Even just a guy later saying " He took out the entire loving swat team. I am going nowhere near the bat."

or did they just say gently caress it who cares

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

ZeusCannon posted:

Is there any payoff for doing that fight? Even just a guy later saying " He took out the entire loving swat team. I am going nowhere near the bat."

or did they just say gently caress it who cares

If they did that sort of thing it'd be wonderful. The development mentality in that sort of activity would go so far into redeeming a lot of things in this game.

Of course there's no payoff. Hell, Branden's even back on his feet before long. The payoff is that you feel like a gigantic badass.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

dscruffy1 posted:

If they did that sort of thing it'd be wonderful. The development mentality in that sort of activity would go so far into redeeming a lot of things in this game.

Of course there's no payoff. Hell, Branden's even back on his feet before long. The payoff is that you feel like a gigantic badass.

And the XP

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I avoided them on New Game + since everyone having armor made it hard to knock them out.

Yeah you absolutely have to cheese that fight with gadgets on ng+. Disruptor a few people, smoke bomb, glue grenade, explosive gel + multi batarang takedown and freeflow power concussion grenades since it makes the entire room wig out at each other and for a long duration. It took me a few tries but if you can manage it it's one of the most Batman feats possible.

Spoilered for possible unseen gadgets/mechanics.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Yvonmukluk posted:

And clearly this is the objectively correct music for that fight:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAG-IS_Ntjg

Definitely the best choice.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

And yeah, Branden was in Batman: Year One, too, alongside Flass. He was the guy Batman beat the crap out of for almost harming that cat.

I believe Flass actually gets a name drop in one of the Enigma blackmail tapes I believe, possibly the one for Branden. It was a "remember what happened to him?" remark from Loeb to Branden about going after Jim Gordon as I recall, which suggests Gordon did something to Flass at least similar to what happened in the Year One comic.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

dscruffy1 posted:

See thats the worst. All they needed to do was have someone other than braden voice the line for the predator room. whoever came over the radio in there could have just been like "oh poo poo guys braden and most of the boys are down for the count i think the bats in here with us!"

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

ZeusCannon posted:

See thats the worst. All they needed to do was have someone other than braden voice the line for the predator room. whoever came over the radio in there could have just been like "oh poo poo guys braden and most of the boys are down for the count i think the bats in here with us!"

Heck it could have still been Braden, just sounding hurt and very angry, perhaps bumping up the nervousness/alertness of the officers because of it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Branden if you avoid that fight, Bullock if you don't.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Oh fun fact, even though the description and name for the medal smash landing leads you to believe you can only use a glass ceiling takedown for completion that's incorrect. You can sub in a normal window takedown and still get the medal - since the precinct has plenty of those around the offices you might find that one easier to do on the fly.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

hard counter posted:

Oh fun fact, even though the description and name for the medal smash landing leads you to believe you can only use a glass ceiling takedown for completion that's incorrect. You can sub in a normal window takedown and still get the medal - since the precinct has plenty of those around the offices you might find that one easier to do on the fly.

:psyduck:

I haven't/won't be testing this so I'll take your word for it but how is that a thing. It even says "weak ceiling". This game!

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

dscruffy1 posted:

I haven't/won't be testing this so I'll take your word for it but how is that a thing. It even says "weak ceiling". This game!

It seems like this game classes the actual takedown more generically in its system data than it classes the medal. Another example I gave either here or the games thread was a boosted batarang that knocks a dude off the top of a ladder when he's climbing it can sub in for the explosive gel + ladder KO on a medal that comes up later. There's plenty of other odd subsitutions you can discover by screwing around.

A good example of the game showing you how generically takedowns are classed is whenever you knock a dude over a ledge with a gadget it just counts as a gadget over ledge takedown in the details list it gives you after you finish a map - doesn't matter if you used the grapnel or some other thing.

I'm not sure if City is as forgiving with these weird subsititions as Origins tho because my PS3 no longer reads disks (and I'm not gonna get it fixed because a ps4 is on the horizon for me) so I can't test it.

hard counter fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 4, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Origins is really weird about Takedowns. I remember there's some challenge to do a predator map without being seen or using Detective Mode, and I used Silent Takedowns on everyone in the room without being spotted.

But I didn't complete the challenge, because I did a loud takedown on the last guy which apparently counts as being seen.

And then the game immediately auto-saved while I was waiting to see if the clear message was going to come up, which always occurs after EXP distribution. :shepicide:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm probably going to keep forgetting about the Anarky tags and some character bios as I'm going through the videos. By way of apology here's an update.

Escape From New Gotham/Polsy

Character bios: Ricky "Loose Lips" Leblanc, Barbara Gordon

Gotham City Intel: Hamilton Hill

Combat Challenge: 25 To Life/Polsy with Deathstroke

You can fight the officers with guns in the server room but it's not as forgiving. It's predator, not combat, so they don't have that convenient "well let me reload before shooting". You'll just get shot.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Venom Users are a neat enemy type. I did like how Origins introduced a lot more variance in enemies you go up against, although I hate martial artists.

Also, you cut off one of the best bits of last enemy dialogue there.

"Don't hurt me! I had a troubled childhood! :gonk:"

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 5, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I wonder who is stuffing cash in the GCPD vents?

Scruffy, the reason the disruptor didn't work on that challenge map is because the disruptor gun actually fires a (hard to see) projectile, and when you fired it that time you hit a wall.

Martial artists are horribly bugged and suck real bad.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one to have never experienced any major bugs with martial artists? O_o

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Probably. I mean, they're a great idea, I just wish they, y'know, worked.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Alexeythegreat posted:

Am I the only one to have never experienced any major bugs with martial artists? O_o

Before I saw this video I thought they were an amazing addition because they added a much needed element but welp, guess that's where all the complaints come from :stare:

Porstuve
Apr 4, 2015

Holy poo poo, I just realized the voice actor for Gordon did some of the voices in Skyrim. No wonder he sounded so familiar.

Also, are the martial artists going to be that buggy in the future? That introductory fight to the martial artists was completely bugged.

Porstuve fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 6, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Yes and no. Future fights with the martial artists in the main storyline (so far) haven't given me that same issue, though I ran into the issue at the same point in both of my playthroughs.

I think I've mentioned before that Initiation Bruce Wayne is poorly implemented. One of his issues is that martial artists can't properly do their chain attacks on him. Literally incapable. They'll do a single hit and then...stop. And back off. They'll still counter you fine, and they'll do the double hit. But they'll never do a full chain.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

dscruffy1 posted:

Oh by the way Hard Time Extreme as Batman is another pred map with the smash landing medal, just in case you wanna see for yourself w/o redoing a map. The area in the middle and some of the side offices have normal windows which can still be used to sub in for the glass ceiling takedown :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

On an unrelated note, the best thugs in Arkham Origins are Black Mask's because they all sound like Joe Pesci. I don't think they have as much funny in-battle dialogue as Penguin's guys, though.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Ah, the Mad Hatter. One of the best parts of the game. He's so well-drawn as a vile little man that just thinking about him makes me feel like I need a shower.

dscruffy1 posted:

Lacey Towers was an inside job.

Turns out that Joker-venom can't melt steel beams.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Alexeythegreat posted:

My only bug was that they kicked my rear end too much and made me sad. :(

This LP really has been fascinating just because I've always heard Origins was buggy but I never encountered any on my playthrough other than some mild stuttering at times (at the time I chalked that up to my PS3 being old as hell but I guess now I know better)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Mad Hatter out of nowhere, just like last time.

Is it the same voice actor? It sounds like it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, it's Peter MacNicol again.

I'm also surprised that it took me this long to notice, but he also plays Doctor Octopus in Spectacular Spider-Man.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wonder how many of these problems are due to you playing on PC. I played on the 360 and didn't have a single bug. I thought people were upset just because of the AC Redux nature of the game.

Also, I can tell you are rushed to finish because you seem to be skipping over things. Like the cash in the vents you barely even looked at. The graffiti you swept right by.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Video 8 Notes

Expert Glide Drills
That last one is an absolute nightmare to do in the postgame, because the game places a set of, iirc, four snipers covering it, plus a number of enemies with guns-and if you fail the drill they'll often respawn.

Marks
Doing the interrogation of Loose Lips, according to the subtitles. Used to be a character. Further evidence that the game plot took a 90 degree turn sometime in development. Sidenote- despite his name, Loose Lips actually seems to resist interrogation as much or more than every other character in the game.

The Disruptor
Man, how convenient that you get told about a device that opens this kind of door right before you need one, huh? When Batman builds or sends off for one of these gadgets, it works a lot better because, well, it's Batman. Loose Lips the conventional arms dealer just happpens to know/have one of these when the police pick him up.

Hobo
Look at that great reference to the Anarky sidequest, establishing him as A Thing that Exists! It's intentionally vague on the details, probably because at the time the GCPD was made there wasn't a detailed plan for how or when Anarky would be introduced into the game- originally, he might have appeared as lategame or endgame content. At the same time, it's great to have these elements of writing integrating different parts of the established world. There are a couple other moments later in the game where this integration is almost as smooth, usually to introduce a sidequest. Who knows, originally, this might have been where/how you heard about Anarky! Notice that immediately afterward, you get some similar world-building with Enigma in the locker room. The GCPD may have been crafted for early internal display, prior to subsequent executive changes that required rapidly remaking much of the campaign. The layout is the biggest evidence of this- while it has the same problems as the rest of the interiors in the series, you can get especially bad whiplash from the design choice 180 that occurs at the end of this video.

The GCPD Layout Has absolutely nothing to do with how the building looks on the outside, especially the front door or how it connects to other buildings throughout Gotham via the sewers. Seriously, it's not even close. Like other interiors, it seems like it's a series of setpieces connected with vents in whatever way they needed, with no internal coherence. Indeed, the parts of the building that were designed as a whole, like the set of glass-windowed offices near the "front" of GCPD, need to have magically locked doors to steer you through the different paths that the developers opened up between them. (I suspect this was partially because the way the glass/translucency was baked onto the doors prevented the devs from letting players manipulate them in some settings). It's no big spoiler to say that you wind up coming back to the GCPD a second time to go through the sewer areas that are currently locked off. These areas may have been re-added in a later addition to the game-hard to say. Although it has some serious problems, the GCPD and environs is probably the most cohesive of the interiors you navigate in the game.

Video 9 Notes

Venom Goons
I never had much trouble with venom goons, mostly because I a) prioritized them during combat, and b) gave up on challenge mode pretty fast as bugs made it unplayable. Mechanically, they're pretty simple, but they make for an interesting variation on the basic combat from the first two games. They only appear as part of a faction we'll meet later (no prizes for guessing which one).

Barb I don't mind Barbara Gordon's character too much (she's barely in the game, anyways) but the tech-talk in the server room cutscene is pretty Hack-The-Gibson. Generally, the Gordons' variable attitudes toward the Bat appear to have been another casualty of changes to a plotline that was originally more Year One and Long Halloween- although, given the terrible prose we get in cutscenes, this may have been a blessing. Generally, I'm thinking the writing of the game is at its absolute worst in cutscenes (possibly as part of a script that was created first or by a particular set of creatives), and at its best ingame (which I'm guessing was handled by different people, people closer to the game as experienced).

Server Room Fight
I know a goon's done it, but I can't find a video online. Instead, enjoy this lousy quality one from our culturally superior overlords! There's another fun easter egg in the server room, but it's a spoiler for the late game, so it'll have to wait.

Martial Artists
When martial artists work, they work very well- they all come with bright red markings to make them easy to separate from other goons, they have clear physical tells for their different attacks even without the QTE cues, and they're a really well-considered wrinkle on normal combat mechanics. I've never encountered the bugs that scruffy is with these enemies, but I'd have to imagine they make fighting them infuriating- each of those dropped animations (or the other bugs mentioned in the video) translates into a dropped combo. Martial Artists don't appear in any cutscene or in any central scripted position in the game- they were a late addition possibly emerging from development of the Shiva bossfight or the initiative DLC. This is is why their introduction is so weird- subterranean martial arts specialist bodyguards. Like Venom goons, enforcers and shieldgoons, I'm really curious about how this type of enemy could work in a predator room. (Martial Artists get the coolest voice lines though- they're all so confident!)

Sewers
As mentioned before, these rooms bear no relation to the topography of the city above them. The pump room in particular would extend several stories into the sky. It also doesn't do anything progressionwise. The idea of a big room with these elements was made, the room itself was made, and its justification/placement came later- or in that particular case, never.

Lacey Towers Case
Some things indicated very quickly in the cutscene but not directly stated-
1. Penguin knows that Black Mask isn't dead because he knows Black Mask doesn't have a pacemaker (30:02). This becomes relevant later.
2. Also, notice those spiffy costumes his gang members had (30:04)! They were probably cut due to a lack of development time, which is why his goons are mostly normal enemies with Penguin logos added.
3. This momentary shot of the corpse's clean chest contradicts another brief message saying the bullet goes right through his heart (30:36), but that's a small detail.
4. When the cutscene was made, Wayne Enterprises was really close to Lacey Towers- you can see it out the window(30:51).
5. The content of the text with "Gotham Merchant's Bank" pulled from it (31:03) is fully detailed, and as far as I know it doesn't appear elsewhere. The text on the newspaper(31:33) is lorem ipsum, though.
6. It's relatively clear that the Joker- whomever that is- already knew about the whole body double thing.
7. There are more references to additional steps in the Lacey Towers scene that were removed from the actual game, like a broken chandelier part that would have told batman that the girlfriend was still alive while tied up (31:16).
8. HOWDY(31:29). There's so much detail and love put into some of this game, I wish it had been better spread through development. Given another...year in the initial schedule, and absent repeated rewrites of the main plot during development, this could've been an absolutely incredible game. That's why I spend so much time on it- I'm hoping to figure out what the missed opportunities were, and what could have been.
9. The map at the end is completely unlike any layout ingame. I'm starting to wonder if they made the entire thing as an animated film for an internal pitch to executives, then were given the chance to make a game afterwards based on that film.

This whole cutscene originally appeared at the end of the Lacey Towers Crime Scene. Notice that there's almost no reference to the DNA in the actual cutscene, and the in-engine stuff leading into it reuses assets from it. Lacey Towers, and Gotham Merchant's Bank, originally appeared at a different place in the story with additional Black Mask material involved beforehand that would provide more context. My guess is that originally he was also going to appear in some way on the final offer.

Hatter Intro The middle goon's mask is different- either as an easter egg or as a bug, this is the kind of mask that appears in the you-know-it's-coming hallucinated combat section that the Hatter sidequest entails.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 6, 2015

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

If memory serves that invisible wall shown at the end of the server fight will block batman, but not the men with guns that can still shoot him. It's pretty clear the devs didn't even consider that you'd think about engaging all the gunmen, let alone win.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I have to say, I really appreciate the accidental timing of the episodes where Batman is beating the poo poo out of corrupt policemen.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

So, are you just going to poo poo on the game through the entire LP? Because it really does add so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonbait
Apr 14, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

So, are you just going to poo poo on the game through the entire LP? Because it really does add so much.

Discendo Vox posted:

Video 8 Notes

Hobo
Look at that great reference to the Anarky sidequest, establishing him as A Thing that Exists! It's intentionally vague on the details, probably because at the time the GCPD was made there wasn't a detailed plan for how or when Anarky would be introduced into the game- originally, he might have appeared as lategame or endgame content. At the same time, it's great to have these elements of writing integrating different parts of the established world.

I've only been skimming the thread and not reading any of their other massive posts, but at least they aren't JUST making GBS threads on the game.

• Locked thread