Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

GreenMetalSun posted:

Can we pre-mock a Kickstarter? Is that a thing?

Apparently it's real.

Buckley would be foolish to not factor loss.jpg into the kickstarter in a big way.

Genetic Toaster posted:

Another ridiculously ambitious game project with no hopes of ever achieving its ONE MILLION DOLLAR goal: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2009060720/history

As a bonus, the creator is currently having a meltdown on twitter.

I like how he tweeted at Extra Credits asking for press. Extra Credits who, no less than a few weeks ago, did a video series on how to make your first game and how one's first game will be rough, extremely buggy, simple and not something you'll be able to sell. Oh, and to keep the scope extremely small.

But man, a simulation of an entire universe? THATS EASY. :downs:

Snuffman has a new favorite as of 16:15 on May 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
why? only goons care about it and it was like five loving years ago

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

Pick posted:

goons were also the only people who cared about doobie, and look how that turned out

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pick posted:

We have not moved passed it

The General
Mar 4, 2007

GreenMetalSun posted:

Can we pre-mock a Kickstarter? Is that a thing?

Apparently it's real.

This wont be an awful KS though? CAD might be terrible, but the book looks like a pretty legit product to sell to fans.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The General posted:

This wont be an awful KS though? CAD might be terrible, but the book looks like a pretty legit product to sell to fans.

Hush. As was evidenced by the Exploding Kittens game, goons can't stand it when someone makes a wildly successful kick-starter based on a pre-existing fan-base.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The General posted:

I'm sure Buckley will do fine. He has a lot more sense than most of the Kickstarters posted here, and I'm sure this omnibus is something his fans have wanted for a while.

We laugh and say "ha ha, Buckley's making a Kickstarter!" but at least it makes sense.

Compared to exploding kittens, this at least looks like some effort is going into it.

Snuffman has a new favorite as of 17:51 on May 3, 2015

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Mildly Amusing posted:

goons were also the only people who cared about doobie, and look how that turned out

Hey now, the dude's still in business!

'Christmas is cancelled, I donated the holiday fund to doobie, now gently caress off to your rooms wife and child' goon must be ecstatic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

flosofl posted:

Hush. As was evidenced by the Exploding Kittens game, goons can't stand it when someone makes a wildly successful kick-starter based on a pre-existing fan-base.

Expelling Ketones wasn't a book of Oatmeal cartoons, though? If it had been I think the goon response would have been more along the lines of "meh, I won't buy it but his fans will" - the same as Buckley's getting. EK got the stick because it was a terrible game put out to exploit a fanbase.

And let's face it, EK deserved that stick. Today we've already seen a ripoff KS which is guaranteed to fail because it doesn't have a fanbase to exploit despite being exactly the same game but with better art. In fact, I'm absolutely certain the ripoff was created to make that precise point.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I don't think EK is necessarily going to be as terrible as goon think. It is certainly going to be heavy on the luck but I can think of some ways strategy might come into play.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

flosofl posted:

You know that whole "goons hate thing illogically" thing doesn't really work when the thing you're trying to use an example is legit terrible?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The General posted:

After the bullshit the Penny Arcade guys pulled with their Kickstarters it's downright refreshing to see a guy just trying to sell a book instead of just begging for handouts behind a thin veneer of irony and dad jokes.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

unpacked robinhood posted:

What's with dumbasses and filming themselves in their car to put online ? I used to assume it was some transparent cool guy set up but maybe they're too loving dumb to sit at a table for 1 min.

They live at home with their parents in a home that is clearly not theirs, so they film in their car out of shame and the only place they feel is their own

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Sleeveless posted:

After the bullshit the Penny Arcade guys pulled with their Kickstarters it's downright refreshing to see a guy just trying to sell a book instead of just begging for handouts behind a thin veneer of irony and dad jokes.

The P-A Kickstarter was extra ridiculous because it followed on the heels of quite a number of their comics making fun of Kickstarter projects that did the exact same things they eventually did with their own.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Auto-playing video.

quote:

Watch This Homeowner Shoot Down a Drone Flying over His Property

Larry Breaux of Valencia, California, is the homeowner who shot down the drone. He told INSIDE EDITION he believes the drone was sent over his house in a deliberate act of harassment.

He told INSIDE EDITION, "I get an anonymous phone call on my answering machine, 'Hey, get rid of your eyesore sign or you won't have any privacy.'"

The sign is at the entrance of his property and it advertises a Kickstarter campaign to save money for an organic lemon business he wants to start.

INSIDE EDITION's Jim Moret asked Breaux, "Do you believe that your neighbors are upset because you have that sign out there?"

He responded, "I believe one of them is."

Breaux showed us how he was sitting next to a shotgun he uses to scare off coyotes when he saw the drone hovering outside his window.

Breaux told INSIDE EDITION, "I throw my cell phone to my friend, 'Hey, videotape me.'"

He said he couldn't get a shot off at first because the shotgun was on safety, but when he turned the corner, he managed to bring down the drone with a single shot.

Somehow Larry's shot missed the computer chip that was recording video.

Breaux believes the person controlling the drone was standing on top of the hill which is on Larry's property, and when he shot the drone out of the sky, he heard that person start to yell.

He showed us what could be a figure in the distance, but it's impossible to tell for sure.

Breaux says he never found the owner of the drone and hasn't reported the incident to the police.

The video is dramatic for sure, maybe almost too dramatic, and now we wonder if it was a set up for his Kickstarter campaign, which is soliciting donations online for his organic lemon business.

So, we had to ask, "What do you want to say to those folks who think you did this for publicity?"

He responded, "All I can say is its a true story and I've got the raw video on my phone but not on the drone, and it's just a freak thing that the chips survived."

Breaux has a Kickstarter page, showing he has raised a little over 400 dollars of the 60,000 he needs to start his organic lemon business.

His Kickstarter campaign utilizes drone video that looks awfully familiar to the video in question.

Looks like this fellow's got a case of sour lemons :smug: .

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mercury Hat posted:

Auto-playing video.

I pulled a Brown Moses and did some geolocation. Operational remote range of that drone is something like 80m. The distance from where he's shooting to where the suspected operator was in the hill is something like 163m.

So, yeah, this guy obviously shot his own drone down.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Maybe it's the start of an ARGs for his organic lemon business.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Carecat posted:

Maybe it's the start of an ARGs for his organic lemon business.

Honestly, if someone was to make an ARG for a lemon business about government spies and poo poo, I would buy the hell out of those lemons.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mercury Hat posted:

Auto-playing video.

I, too, watch Parks & Recreation.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Organic lemon kickstarter false flag drone operation. I know what the individual words mean-

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sleeveless posted:

CAD is unironically a *much* better webcomic than the PA these days.

MyronGognitti
Jun 15, 2008

by zen death robot

Sleeveless posted:

There will be people supporting the CAD Kickstarter ironically

People that supported the Penny Arcade kickstarter are unironic idiots

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Or they're both equally terrible

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Saying one webcomic is better than another is like say you just had a *much* more solid dump than you had the day before.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

NESguerilla posted:

Saying one webcomic is better than another is like say you just had a *much* more solid dump than you had the day before.

a satisfying dump can be very rewarding, stench or no

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Primarily, I assume, because PA has continued to get worse over the past few years.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
P-A has reached the phase that all long-running comics eventually get to: the creators have long since run out of ideas and are only keeping the comic going because they feel obligated to. They could just drop the three-panel format and do long-form instead, and seem to have the talent for it, but probably don't want to deal with the fallout that doing that would bring with it.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Wow, you guys weren't kidding

There's no joke here even by Penny Arcade standards, and the art is being overworked to the point where it's now getting worse instead of better.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
He put some white dots on mottled purple for the first two panels but was too tuckered out to manage a background for panel 3.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Great Rumbler posted:

P-A has reached the phase that all long-running comics eventually get to: the creators have long since run out of ideas and are only keeping the comic going because they feel obligated to. They could just drop the three-panel format and do long-form instead, and seem to have the talent for it, but probably don't want to deal with the fallout that doing that would bring with it.

They tried to branch out into other media but it was all more or less unsuccessful: their gaming news site shut down, their reality shows and attempt at doing a Channel Awesome-style video team fell apart, their videogames flopped, and their attempt to get into Hollywood amounted to a one-page comic getting optioned and then going nowhere. They've even had to distance themselves from their convention and tax shelter charity that they founded because they can't behave well enough in public to not be a huge liability to them. Even their actual comics are being done by other people, their spinoff comic The Trenches is drawn by one of the contestants from their reality show and he doesn't even get his name listed on the actual strips.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The motion lines on Gabe's arm in the second panel are from his arm suddenly popping back into existence, note its absence in the first panel.

This does not constitute endorsement of the CAD kickstarter, although good on Buckley for anticipating reasonable shipping costs. I listened to a podcast recently where a musician was describing the total costs of shipping, and I had no idea it was so expensive. The Penny Arcade guys cleverly got around the shipping cost problem by not offering any physical product or in fact any product at all in theirs.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Bubble-T posted:

the art is being overworked to the point where it's now getting worse instead of better.

I've also noticed that they recently [as in, during the last few months] started shading their characters' noses a different color from the rest of their skin and it bothers me way more than it probably should.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Young Freud posted:

I pulled a Brown Moses and did some geolocation. Operational remote range of that drone is something like 80m. The distance from where he's shooting to where the suspected operator was in the hill is something like 163m.

So, yeah, this guy obviously shot his own drone down.
There's that, and the fact he's using what has to be drone footage in his kickstarter video.

Bubble-T posted:

There's no joke here even by Penny Arcade standards, and the art is being overworked to the point where it's now getting worse instead of better.
So basically PA has gone back to their classic roots. Minus the art part. That's something entirely new.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Since I was interested in Patreon as a funding platform, I decided to have a look at some of the others on offer.

I happened across this one in my search for successful and unsuccessful campaigns to learn from. It has a trifecta of terrible:

-Factually incorrect statements (Pac-man isn't a platformer)
-Ridiculous reward tiers (more on that below)
-Unrealistic expectations and stupid goals for the campaign.

So, what do you get for your hard-earned cash? He has the answer!

'Rewards' posted:

$1:
Pledging a dollar is nice! You get to see exclusive free looks at the game!

$50:
Pledging 50 is outstanding! You get the default PC release and the MAC release!

$100:
Pledging 100 is unbelievable! You get the default PC release, new Mac release, and the newest iOS release!

$500:
Pledging 500 is out of this world! You get the Steam release, PC release, Mac release, iOS release, and the concept art!

I've omitted some of them, but as you can see, he believes the steam release is worth 400 dollars more than PC, Mac, and iOS put together.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Great Rumbler posted:

I've also noticed that they recently [as in, during the last few months] started shading their characters' noses a different color from the rest of their skin and it bothers me way more than it probably should.

It's called "Tumblr Nose" and it's cropping up in a lot of webcomics. It's really weird. Next they'll have really shiny red knees and elbows. I think they've already lost their pupils.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bubble-T posted:

Those are MoJ mouths

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

It's called "Tumblr Nose" and it's cropping up in a lot of webcomics. It's really weird. Next they'll have really shiny red knees and elbows. I think they've already lost their pupils.

In my day we called it Livejournal Nose! You drat kids. Seriously though it was a thing people were already doing way back when Livejournal was a huge thing, like 2004 or so. It's based on people learning the basic art class rule that noses and a few other parts of the body are a little bit redder and if you draw someone and make sure to intensify the color just a bit in your drawing it really helps to make it look lifelike.

Then they assume "more emphasis = better" and eventually your drawings have bright red noses/cheeks/elbows/etc and they look like they lost a fight to a clown.

Noyemi K posted:

Since I was interested in Patreon as a funding platform, I decided to have a look at some of the others on offer.

I happened across this one in my search for successful and unsuccessful campaigns to learn from. It has a trifecta of terrible:

-Factually incorrect statements (Pac-man isn't a platformer)
-Ridiculous reward tiers (more on that below)
-Unrealistic expectations and stupid goals for the campaign.

So, what do you get for your hard-earned cash? He has the answer!

I've omitted some of them, but as you can see, he believes the steam release is worth 400 dollars more than PC, Mac, and iOS put together.

The latest Pac Man games have been a whole bunch of the most generic 3D platformers you've ever seen. Maybe he's young enough that that's what he's familiar with.

Nintendo Kid has a new favorite as of 05:19 on May 4, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nintendo Kid posted:

In my day we called it Livejournal Nose! You drat kids. Seriously though it was a thing people were already doing way back when Livejournal was a huge thing, like 2004 or so. It's based on people learning the basic art class rule that noses and a few other parts of the body are a little bit redder and if you draw someone and make sure to intensify the color just a bit in your drawing it really helps to make it look lifelike.

Then they assume "more emphasis = better" and eventually your drawings have bright red noses/cheeks/elbows/etc and they look like they lost a fight to a clown.

I saw one piece of Sherlock fanart where they went so overboard with the nose shading, it literally looked like the characters had holes in their faces where there noses should have been.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Nintendo Kid posted:

The latest Pac Man games have been a whole bunch of the most generic 3D platformers you've ever seen. Maybe he's young enough that that's what he's familiar with.

The majority of the Pac Man series is a platformer, when you think about it. There's even Pac-Land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cheez posted:

There's that, and the fact he's using what has to be drone footage in his kickstarter video.

TBH, that drone he shot down cost something like $50, so it's not like it's some super secret high-tech thing.