Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

No, you're not supposed to think they're evil (although that is in fact what the other characters were testifying to in the finale :colbert:), but you are supposed to think they're kinda lovely and regularly make bad decisions for bad reasons which come back to bite them, and I have no idea how someone could parse that as "escapist fantasy for uggo nerds"

George isn't even a nerd for Christ's sake; he isn't smart and doesn't really have any interests as far as I can remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
He's a marine biologist. Of course he's a nerd.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

opus111 posted:

in curb LD is correct 99% of the time, that's what makes it good.
Agreed. LD doesn't follow society's rules of etiquette, nor should he. His character's biggest fault is his honesty, which is pretty ironic since society pushes honesty as such a virtue. Turns out most people don't actually want honesty.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

pussy riot police posted:

He's a marine biologist. Of course he's a nerd.
I thought he was an architect.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

quote:

Over the course of the series, he works for a real estate transaction services firm (Rick Bahr Properties), a rest stop supply company (Sanalac), Elaine's company (Pendant Publishing), the New York Yankees (his longest running job), a playground-equipment company (Play Now), an industrial smoothing company (Kruger Industrial Smoothing), and other places. He is fired from his job at Pendant Publishing for having sex with the cleaning woman on his desk in "The Red Dot" (he professes he has always been attracted to cleaning women).

Full Article

I remember him specifically working for the Yankees, and never seeing his boss' face, just the back of his head.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

EZipperelli posted:

Full Article

I remember him specifically working for the Yankees, and never seeing his boss' face, just the back of his head.

That's because Steinbrenner was actually played by Larry David

(also the marine biologist / architect posts were Art Vandelay jokes :ssh:)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

loquacius posted:

he isn't smart and doesn't really have any interests as far as I can remember

The most realistic part of the show is when George becomes a genius when he stops having sex.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
seinfeld.txt :rolleyes:

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

EZipperelli posted:

Full Article

the real Steinbrenner did actually shoot a scene but they didn't include it.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

loquacius posted:

No, you're not supposed to think they're evil (although that is in fact what the other characters were testifying to in the finale :colbert:), but you are supposed to think they're kinda lovely and regularly make bad decisions for bad reasons which come back to bite them, and I have no idea how someone could parse that as "escapist fantasy for uggo nerds"

George isn't even a nerd for Christ's sake; he isn't smart and doesn't really have any interests as far as I can remember

lol George is a failed jock. They're just super normal people (outside of not drinking, ever - even Friends included alcohol sometimes), they don't really have hobbies; they just sort of loaf about loving up the little things.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Unsolicited initial message that a friend received:

quote:

My Modest But A Tad Blunt Proposal IV (one (in)decent proposal deserves another!)
To meet up with you in person because I consider you to be interesting/attractive based on your profile. For the folks whom have received the first proposal please see the updates/musings at the tail end of this message.

*Skip to end for a Special Treat*

Disclosures:
1. This message has been used and reused on a number of interesting/attractive females
2. I am interested in meeting a significant other as well as meeting people in general.
3. Here are my well-maintained social media profiles to "prove" that I do exist outside of the digital world. Social media profiles: https://www.facebook.com/xflubb | http://www.linkedin.com/in/swliu
4. Potential red-flag: Haven't had a girlfriend in 6 years
5. Just getting back into the online dating scene.

Raison d'ętre for this proposal:
I am still relatively new to this online dating scene, but I have heard many fail stories (and a few success stories) when it comes to free online dating sites. As I have mentioned above, based on my very limited knowledge of your world views and your chosen online appearance, I have made the assessment to deem you of sufficient compelling interest for me to impart further effort to "get to know you better." To my understanding, there is a lot of wasted time involved with the online messaging that in all likelihood will end up nowhere for the both of us should you choose to respond. This mutual annihilation of time (money) should not be taken so lightly and, hence, I have crafted My Modest Proposal to get the ball rolling. After all, the ends to this whole online dating website is not to develop only an online (albeit possibly passionate :P) relationship. Hopefully, if you have read this far into my message, then I am most certainly preaching to the choir.

Instructions:
1. Skim my OKCupid profile to see if I am remotely interesting and check out my facebook/linkedin profile to get an idea of what I am about.
2. Reply to this message OR, ideally, text/call my google number 202-656-4855.
3. Schedule a meeting time/place of your choice (police station, health clinic, coffee shop, bar, etc.) TIP OF THE DAY: Choose a public place with plenty of pedestrian traffic!

Q&A:
1. What if you are a creep?
I am not. I can offer you at least 5 references upon your request within 48 hours excluding holidays and weekends.
2. Why haven't you had a gf in 6 years?
Long story, but basically I haven't met the right person. Duh!
3. Don't you realize that most girls are into the more subtle approaches?
Yes, but I am not really looking for a plurality of matches. One is enough.
4. What if we meet up and we have a horrible time together?
I will be truly sorry. I guess it is a risk that comes with this type of social experiment.
5. Are you socially retarded?
No. OK, sometimes, but it's by choice and in full recognition of the social backlash and ramifications.
6. Are you a player?
Hardly.
7. How long have you been on OKCupid?
Just filled out my profile on 9/9/2012. Proposal II was written on 11/27/2012. Proposal III was written on 2/4/2013 and was also distributed manually :/ shortly thereafter. Proposal IV was written on 6/7/2013
8. Your questions here!

Updates since Proposal I:
1. I made a move out to Carson City, NV to pursue my dreams of making a difference at a green energy startup on Oct 16th, 2012.
2. In order to stay Californian, I make frequent trips back to either LA/OC/SD or the Bay Area. By frequent, I mean every other weekend for LA/OC/SD and the weekends between those to the Bay Area.
3. I've gone on quite a few dates armed with the aforementioned Proposal I and have certainly made some new friends with the logic being that it takes another quirky individual to answer my call.
4. I still firmly believe that it is a numbers game. I must have sent over 1000 messages and had a reply rate of less than 5%. I have met up with 9 people thus far and am in the process of scheduling to meet others.
5. If you feel like you missed out the first/second time around don't hesitate to give me a holla! ;)
6. I found an awesome girl with this method, but things didn't work out, so I'm back again.

*Special Treat*:
I got one of my good buddies on board okc. If you are not into 200+ lb Chinese Americans, then please give my svelte and sexy buddy, “Virt” a shot at love! YES he really is 6’3”!(recent transplant to SF, consummate professional, amazing chef, foodie, sophistication beyond belief)
http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Virt85

Check out this ted talk on the surprising honesty beholden to the internet. A bit counter-intuitive to the effects of anonymity typically associated with the internet.
http://www.ted.com/talks/jeff_hancock_3_types_of_digital_lies.html

Pragmatism is still not dead in online dating!

:staredog:

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

The TED talk was interesting, even if the self-righteous dude was not.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
More 1st-time messages, this time with replies:

Him posted:

Did you know they actually pay for sperm donors now? To think I've probably lost $270 to your pictures over the last few weeks. When we go out you're paying for dinner.

Her posted:

Wow. You're super creepy. You should try not being super creepy.

Him posted:

In what way was that creepy? Your family would consider it divine intervention if a man as well rounded as I ever fell into your hands.

Or how about what happens when someone gets caught using a copy-paste opener:

Him posted:

You hunger for and run towards those experiences in life that are intense where you have to push yourself hard. Finding those moments sweeps you away with great passion and feel fully alive.

Her posted:

You send copy-paste emails to people on okcupid because you haven't an original thought in your head.

http://www.refinery29.com/online-dating-horror-stories

Him posted:

Sorry, I had to read the link and I am on my slow computer and not one of the tablets. I see no relationship. Fact one, I create NEW all the time. Fact two, I meet many women offline and online. Fact three, you are 1% of the population that I encounter. Whatever I would write that made contact with you would have caused the same reaction, because you are NOT physically attracted to me. The result is the creation of a cognitive DISCOUNTING CUE. What would you do in my place if 1% of a population moved away from you? How much of your day would that concern you?
It's easy to predict the following:
1. You thought that I would become mad or curse you. That's what men do that have negative feelings about women.
2. You thought you are somehow exposing me. What I wrote is one of thousands of things I do and may say to a woman online. How many types of variations on hello can someone use for members of the same culture?

Why think inside the box and become trapped outside of innovation like everyone else. The rewards in life are for People going out to the shortest branches and getting the fruit furthest away from the low-hanging free fruit everyone's fighting for because they think its easy.

Are you chasing a picture? I am not. Maybe when I go out with someone we transform an everyday situation into something unique for each other. We talk about everything in the universe and do things differently. If something develops we see each other again. If no, now we have a story to tell our friends. I love finding a beautiful woman, one who has an open mind and heart full of the joys of life. When a man encounter that rare woman life becomes so much sweeter.

Her posted:

u mad

Him posted:

YES, my business partner did not call at 9:00 am and he did not complete an important task on the agreed upon time table.
I will call him again and do the task myself.

Her posted:

Ah, so this is the bit where you deflect regarding how you just wrote a 300+ word, multi-paragraph diatribe about how totally not perturbed about being seen through you feel, by intimating that something else is the cause.

You also mistake verbosity for depth.

Him posted:

Maybe, I have a poor attention span.
Or maybe I understand GAME THEORY.
Are you trying to fight with me?
Maybe, I am denying to fight.
Everything is choice,right?
You must not have looked at my profile deeply.
Have you seen the size of my big library?
Have you seen the size of my BIG HEAD?--MASSIVE

1st one is just awkward, 2nd looks to be unmedicated.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Breetai posted:

That is some quality AUG there.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
The copy-paste one reads like something procedurally generated by a poorly coded flirting algorithm, if that even exists. Did a human write it? They fail the Turing test. :psyduck:

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

HerStuddMuffin posted:

The copy-paste one reads like something procedurally generated by a poorly coded flirting algorithm, if that even exists. Did a human write it? They fail the Turing test. :psyduck:

I find that copy paste one beautiful, in a way. Succeed or fail he has committed completely to being his awkward socially backward self and is riding the bomb all the way down to whatever end. I bet that dude actually has five friends almost as awkward as he is who are more than willing to actually provide real references to a potential date and talk him up to meet his "provide references within 48 hours except on holidays and weekends" thing. That's like a work of community performance art or something.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

TheSpiritFox posted:

I find that copy paste one beautiful, in a way. Succeed or fail he has committed completely to being his awkward socially backward self and is riding the bomb all the way down to whatever end. I bet that dude actually has five friends almost as awkward as he is who are more than willing to actually provide real references to a potential date and talk him up to meet his "provide references within 48 hours except on holidays and weekends" thing. That's like a work of community performance art or something.

Your mom.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Breetai posted:

lmao these never happened because women don't reply back on okcupid!!!! lmao

cheers :tipshat:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

HerStuddMuffin posted:

You have to remember that this isn't an attempt at communication, this is an incantation. Some level-20 pussy conjurer has told a PUA community that these words impart a +31% bonus to Opening Statement when attempting to aggro an HB8, and he's swallowed it hook, line, and sinker.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Breetai posted:

You have to remember that this isn't an attempt at communication, this is an incantation. Some level-20 pussy conjurer has told a PUA community that these words impart a +31% bonus to Opening Statement when attempting to aggro an HB8, and he's swallowed it hook, line, and sinker.

Haha

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Breetai posted:

lol

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Breetai winning the hearts of men and women with excellent posts, wanna date that good poster.

Add a photo of this post to your profile, I'm going to see if Pussy Conjurer is taken or not as a parachute account layer when I get home after Maypac.

These online ladies in Nevada are real big BTW geez louise

raton fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 3, 2015

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

opus111 posted:

you can get prams with USB chargers built into them now.

To charge the pram? or using its movement to charge things?

That's an intelligent idea.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What? No you goof it's a thousand dollar baby tank / shopping mall battering ram with a battery in it so some trog mom can charge her ipad off of it.

People with children don't do responsible things unless you include grossly overprotecting their kid as responsible.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Christ, what next? segway prams?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ive found a way to use the hambeasts profiles for a better purpose that clogging my matches.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Why do people seek out arguments.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Decrepus posted:

Why do people seek out arguments.

Because its fun and makes the site interesting
Just have a job be white and somewhat good looking without selfies and send stupid poo poo to the chicks you arent attracted to. I usually do this when they quickmatch me and are complete hambeasts. Or if they're mega feminists ill usually send "lol you sure are experiencing the plight of women living in your dads 6 bedroom house and driving a 2015 rallye charger because "it suits my personality". The plight is real.

In other news this college qt send me a message apologizing for not talking to me after we had an argument. My response being " It would suit both of us better if you never talked to me again. If you still have any feelings for me which it obvious you do because you texted me 5 times when I didnt respond to the initial text. However I feel nothing for you so dont text me again."

now im the "loving miso prick you're only doing this because im Bi"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 3, 2015

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

LeoMarr posted:

In other news this college qt send me a message apologizing for not talking to me after we had an argument. My response being " It would suit both of us better if you never talked to me again. If you still have any feelings for me which it obvious you do because you texted me 5 times when I didnt respond to the initial text. However I feel nothing for you so dont text me again."

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Decrepus posted:

You are jon irenicus irl

Who

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

LeoMarr posted:

Ive found a way to use the hambeasts profiles for a better purpose that clogging my matches.

So you're a pathetic retard who antagonizes people for no reason.
Listen man, I understand this, I do this on SA, it's enjoyable, but on a dating site, to people who aren't willingly subjecting themselves to it? That's loving gay man. Get the gently caress out of here.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

staberind posted:

To charge the pram? or using its movement to charge things?

That's an intelligent idea.

to charge devices off it. Its convenient for sure, its just one of those things that made me do a double take at how weird modern life is.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

JebanyPedal posted:

Listen man, I understand this, I do this on SA, it's enjoyable, but on a dating site, to people who aren't willingly subjecting themselves to it? That's loving gay man. Get the gently caress out of here.

Wow, feeding the troll much? Good job homo.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Leo you're a bad poster please don't also be a bad person

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

JebanyPedal posted:

you're going to get so many ladies white knighting okcupid on SA dude keep going.

people who aren't willingly subjecting themselves to it? That's loving gay man. Get the gently caress out of here.

Haha yes surely if you're on a dating site you dont willingly subject yourself to the shittiest members or society.

And her entire profile was femism and im fat and beautiful all that kind of poo poo. And "if you dont date me because of my looks you are a misogynistic pig" and she flooded my page with views and likes. She visited my prof for 7 days straight.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 3, 2015

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
:munch:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I keep getting cuties visiting and liking my profile and I think it's some kind of cosmic joke...

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

LeoMarr posted:

And her entire profile was femism and im fat and beautiful all that kind of poo poo.

She didn't look fat from that picture, or not fat enough to justify fat-acceptance poo poo anyway :raise:

Yeah though there didn't seem to be a reason to antagonize her there, unless you like getting in fights on OKC as well as SA

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

loquacius posted:

She didn't look fat from that picture, or not fat enough to justify fat-acceptance poo poo anyway :raise:

Yeah though there didn't seem to be a reason to antagonize her there, unless you like getting in fights on OKC as well as SA

lol if you judge weight by a sideways face picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

I keep getting cuties visiting and liking my profile and I think it's some kind of cosmic joke...

It's like going to the zoo for them.

• Locked thread