Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

nsaP posted:

Yeah I kinda assumed they were somewhere they had to get a 125 as a first bike, otherwise you're right.

In the UK you have to start with a 125 unfortunately. I agree, a 250 would be a much better starting point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fair point. I didn't think the 125s were so piss-poor :(

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Would a two-stroke Aprilia RS125 (or something equivalent that's still made) be about the same for a beginner as a 250? That's something that I saw mentioned a lot when I was researching my first bike.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Seashell Salesman posted:

Would a two-stroke Aprilia RS125 (or something equivalent that's still made) be about the same for a beginner as a 250? That's something that I saw mentioned a lot when I was researching my first bike.

I've no idea how powerful they are, but there is a power/weight restriction in addition to the 125cc engine size. I doubt you'd get pulled over for it ever, but it could bite you if you get in any other trouble.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Depends on the 125. If it's the old 2 stroke race bike, nope, it's gonna be a bit of a handful to ride. If it's the newer RS4 125 4t model, it's going to be slow as balls.

Edit: Duh, 2 stroke. I'd expect any of them to be totally wrecked by idiot POs, but they're really cool little bikes.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 29, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My ex had an RG150 gamma 2t with around 25hp for her first bike, it wasn't what I'd call a handful. The RS125 I rode gave me the same impression. The tiny two strokes feel really fast but they're still slow as balls and probably not worth it for a learner just due to the extra maintenance and other finickyness inherent in 2t ownership.

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.
So I asked earlier about mid 80's goldwings and really liked the idea of getting one for long distance touring. Today a friend offered me a nearly complete Honda CB 900 c for around $200. It needs a new gas tank headlight and probably a carburetor rebuild. My question is, does anyone know how these hold up for distance riding? From what I've seen they are for the most part compatible with all the fairing and accessories from the same model year goldwings. Any info on CB 900s is more than welcome.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's going to be big and heavy and probably not real inspiring to ride. But as long as you fix what's wrong and keep on top if whatever else inevitably breaks (which on a bike that old will probably cost you some dollars), it will get you wherever.

Those have kind of cool/weird transmissions. It's a 5 speed but it also has a hi/low jackshaft. Ostensibly gives you 10 ratios, but practically you'll probably just use low 1-5 and then go to hi 5 on the freeway.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

No Egrets posted:

Any info on CB 900s is more than welcome.

I have a KLR here, and a CB 900c at my parent's house 1,800 miles from here. I have only ridden the CB a few hundred miles, but compared to my KLR it feels like riding a cross between a sewing machine and a lightning bolt. Then again so would just about anything else; KLR's... am I right? edit: Here's a link to a picture I posted when I bought it.

I should also mention that I paid $500 for the CB and that my dad was a Honda Certified mechanic in that era. He rides it when I'm not home and does all the maintenance. If not for those two things I wouldn't own it.

I also kind of wish I didn't own a KLR.

I need a new motorcycle.

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 30, 2015

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

When the RS was being made there was no power-to-weight restriction but there was still the 15hp cap. However opening it out to the full 30-35 (depending on year and some other factors) cost a hundred quid of components and an hour of work.

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009
Does this seem like a good deal? http://frederick.craigslist.org/mcd/4985399663.html

I'm looking for an upgrade from my 250 and need something that I fit on better (6'2 on a ninja just isn't great) and is also a little better for touring and such.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
That's not a bad deal. Hell of an upgrade from a 250 but a drat fine commuter/sport tourer.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Hmmm... I've never even considered the FZ1 as a used upgrade. I guess I will add that to the list.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

brotastrophe posted:

Does this seem like a good deal? http://frederick.craigslist.org/mcd/4985399663.html

I'm looking for an upgrade from my 250 and need something that I fit on better (6'2 on a ninja just isn't great) and is also a little better for touring and such.

FZ1s make great touring bikes, and the engines on both first and second gen are rock solid units that have no problem packing on the miles. There's at least one first gen owner who's got 200k miles on hers with nothing except regular scheduled maintenance. If you want something that can eat miles but don't care about a bunch of farkles like radios and air conditioning or riding two-up everywhere, an FZ1 with a set of luggage is one of the best alternatives to a Goldwing or such.

(Disclaimer: I own both an FZ1 and a Goldwing, I'm an old fart).

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4956959101.html

This seat is too good. Good luck in those Texas summers buddy.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009
Looking at getting my first bike, have sat on a few in the shop and trying to sort out some time off work to go do the stay upright/MSF course before I get my learners.

Looking around at bikes and trying to decide, perhaps goon suggestions will help. Keeping in mind I will be on my L's for a minimum of 3-6 months (80kmhr/50mph restricted) and then a further 12 months on my P's (90kmhr/55mph), do I get something cheap and gutless - like the cb125e to learn on and then upgrade to a bigger bike after a year or so or spend more up front and go straight to a 250-300 (like the Z300) and stay happy with a more powerful bike that will last me for several years?

Subquestion, the Ninja 300 I sat on in the shop seemed huge/wide underneath me and I worried it would be too much to handle/too big for a starter bike.

FYI male, 5'7, 150lbs.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Whoforthenwhat posted:

Looking at getting my first bike, have sat on a few in the shop and trying to sort out some time off work to go do the stay upright/MSF course before I get my learners.

Looking around at bikes and trying to decide, perhaps goon suggestions will help. Keeping in mind I will be on my L's for a minimum of 3-6 months (80kmhr/50mph restricted) and then a further 12 months on my P's (90kmhr/55mph), do I get something cheap and gutless - like the cb125e to learn on and then upgrade to a bigger bike after a year or so or spend more up front and go straight to a 250-300 (like the Z300) and stay happy with a more powerful bike that will last me for several years?

Subquestion, the Ninja 300 I sat on in the shop seemed huge/wide underneath me and I worried it would be too much to handle/too big for a starter bike.

FYI male, 5'7, 150lbs.

A Ninja 250/300 is not too much to handle when learning. It is easily the number 1 most common first bike and basically what everyone gets recommended here. The other recommendation is not to buy a new bike for your first bike.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Whoforthenwhat posted:

FYI male, 5'7, 150lbs.

I take it you're in Ausland. Get at least a 250, you'll get bored of a 125 after a week, and the extra grunt really makes a difference.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009
Yep in Ausland. Only considered the 125 as it's so cheap and would be on a bike sooner.

I know opinions are mixed on it, but is ABS something I really should be looking for for my first bike? There are tons of Non ABS bikes available used but little around with ABS that aren't much cheaper than buying new.

*edit* typo

Whoforthenwhat fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 4, 2015

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I haven't ridden a 125 so i can't quite imagine how slow they are but if you are only limited to them for 3-6 months and it gets you on the road it might be worth it. Otherwise the bigger the better so long as it's 500cc and 2 cylinders or less.

If only we had knowledgeable auzzie goons.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Whoforthenwhat posted:

Yep in Ausland. Only considered the 126
5 as it's so cheap and would be on a bike sooner.

I know opinions are mixed on it, but is ABS something I really should be looking for for my first bike? There are tons of Non ABS bikes available used but little around with ABS that aren't much cheaper than buying new.

Aussie goon here.

1) Realistically, you're stuck with your LAMS bike for three years so stump for the 250/300; it's a big difference. You can have a lot of fun (mostly) within the speed limit on a 250 that you're winding all the way out (ie: using every last bit of power it makes). A 125 that makes half the power is a pretty unappealing proposition by comparison.

2) ABS probably saved me from a stack or two when I started riding. Maybe you're more co-ordinated than I was, but I personally think it's worth it.

Also, I flogged off the 250 (with ABS) which I stupidly bought new for about $1,500 less than I paid for it after a year of use. ie: It is possible to find deals.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 4, 2015

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

nsaP posted:

I haven't ridden a 125 so i can't quite imagine how slow they are but if you are only limited to them for 3-6 months and it gets you on the road it might be worth it. Otherwise the bigger the better so long as it's 500cc and 2 cylinders or less.

If only we had knowledgeable auzzie goons.

Restrictions for the first 2 years (i would be exempt from the third year of P's due to my age and driving history - I hope!): Must have an engine capacity up to and including 660ml, and not exceed a power-to-weight ratio of 150 kw per tonne

prukinski posted:

Aussie goon here.

1) Realistically, you're stuck with your LAMS bike for three years so stump for the 250/300; it's a big difference. You can have a lot of fun (mostly) within the speed limit on a 250 that you're winding all the way out (ie: using every last bit of power it makes). A 125 that makes half the power is a pretty unappealing proposition by comparison.

2) ABS probably saved me from a stack or two when I started riding. Maybe you're more co-ordinated than I was, but I personally think it's worth it.

Also, I flogged off the 250 (with ABS) which I stupidly bought new for about $1,500 less than I paid for it after a year of use. ie: It is possible to find deals.

Thanks for that, I'm kind of ok with being stuck with a lower powered LAMS bike as I am frankly terrified of coming off something bigger (whiskey throttle being my biggest fear). Also don't expect to go anywhere out of my town for the first while (outside of my town in every direction is 100km/hr highway)

Yeah I have the same mindset for ABS, I'd rather have it and never need it than not have it and have an emergency stop (roo's and deer are quite common to dart across roads in my area) and lock up the wheel and come off. ABS fitted bikes tend to reduce the purchase pool a fair bit for both new and used. Locking up the wheel/s being my other fear!

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Whoforthenwhat posted:

Restrictions for the first 2 years (i would be exempt from the third year of P's due to my age and driving history - I hope!): Must have an engine capacity up to and including 660ml, and not exceed a power-to-weight ratio of 150 kw per tonne

I'm in Aus (Adelaide) and just went through the whole LAMS thing (another six months to go before I can ride a full bike, but already bought a naked Hayabusa). Get a good learner bike - Ninja 300 ABS can be picked up cheap (2013's can occasionally be grabbed for $6000+), or GS500 's.

I had no experience with motorbikes (or cars) when I got out of the motorbike course, so I bought a hipsterdouche TU250X (little slow retro modern bike). That lasted one month before I touched it for a 2011 GS500F for the same price ($4.5k). The GS had been great for learning; I can run twisties with friends, do 5000+k road trips, commute, take wife as pillion comfortably.

Don't be a tard, pick up a GS500/CB400/Ninja 300.

If you tell me where you are, I'll PM you some good learner bike suggestions.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Whoforthenwhat posted:

Thanks for that, I'm kind of ok with being stuck with a lower powered LAMS bike as I am frankly terrified of coming off something bigger (whiskey throttle being my biggest fear). Also don't expect to go anywhere out of my town for the first while (outside of my town in every direction is 100km/hr highway)

Yeah dude, you can whiskey throttle any LAMS bike all you want and it's not going to have the effect you're worried about.

e: I'm curious where you live too. I'm guessing NSW given the age thing?

prukinski fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 4, 2015

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale
Hey guys, I know it's been for-ev but I'm back now.

I'm thinking about buying a bike at some point in the next few weeks.

I'm in Athens, Greece now. That means I'm living on a Greek salary and restricted to a Greek budget, so I got 2000 euros max to spend on my new ride. The good news is that motorcycles are way more popular here compared to the US and even with the limited budget, I still have plenty to choose from.

I really want a Supermoto, which I think will be perfect for Athens. This city dirty, crowded, congested, nobody respects traffic laws and the roads are poo poo. I'm not kidding, this place is the San Francisco William Gibson wrote about.

Anyway, I think I have my mind made up on either a KTM LC4, or Duke II. (2000-2005)

Does anybody have any experience with those models? Here in Greece, they have a reputation for being unreliable, and I've had acquaintances caution me against buying a KTM if I plan on using as a daily-driver. Honestly, if "unreliable" just means I'll just have to fiddle with it sometimes, I'll put up with it.

Japanese bikes tend to be expensive here, but the Yamaha XT 660x and Honda FMX 650 of similar model years are also available around the same price. I'm sure they'd make good, reliable transportation but I'm not very impressed with the stats published my the manufacturer. 450cc MX bikes, converted to supermoto are available here too, but they are usually out of my price range, and will probably be more maintainence than I want to put up with.

A lot of my friends are nudging me towards other European brands like Husaberg, TM and Husqvarna, but those brands are unknown territory for me.

I don't know much about thumpers, so any help would be appreciated.

Also, if you're feeling ambitions, you can poke around here. Maybe something will jump out at you.

http://www.car.gr/classifieds/bikes...offer_type=sale

WildWanderer fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 4, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The 625/640 engine version LC4s are sort of hit or miss on reliability, due to KTM using questionable bearing manufacturers for awhile. Any possibility of finding an XR650R that's been converted to sumo? That'd be the bang to buck option in the US. Honestly, the primary determination in quality is going to be previous owner, or I'd just buy the cheapest one you can find and bodge it along until it pops and sell the carcass for 500 euro and repeat.

I wouldn't recommend TM, Husky, or Husaberg for generally reliable though, unless support is way better out there.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Bought a new FZ-07, pick it up next Friday. The next 6 days will be hell.

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012

VERTiG0 posted:

Bought a new FZ-07, pick it up next Friday. The next 6 days will be hell.

Today is the day! Let's see it.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Watsabi posted:

Today is the day! Let's see it.

Spent the whole long weekend riding it, posted in the lets see your bike pics thread.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
There's no easy way to break into this topic, so here goes.

I found a sanely priced Sportster XL1200X '48 (2010, $8,000, 350 miles; people are regularly asking $9500+). Can afford, and can still keep my Kawasaki registered / insured.

Really interested in some modern amenities like fuel injection, brakes that grab really well, and lights that are visible, and I am also really into the way the '48 looks and rides; took one out at a dealership the day after I got licensed.

The cons: it's black. I could get a CTX700 for that price, new, although probably not in the color I want.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Sportster as a motorcycle. Yeah, I know, people give H-D tons of poo poo but honestly they're not bad bikes for the 5 minutes I had to ride one around a neighborhood. They have good brakes and a decent motor that rides easy, you can shift lazy and the bike doesn't care. The only "problem" with a Sportster is that, even used, they are priced higher than other bikes of that type that can offer you more of everything except for the logo on the side. However, as an ~Italian bike owner~ I can't poo poo on anyone for that because I could have had a good Japanese naked sport bike for far less than the price of the one I bought. I bought it because I love the design and the way it rode.

If it makes you happy, go for it. You don't need to justify it to anyone besides yourself.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Ripoff posted:

If it makes you happy, go for it. You don't need to justify it to anyone besides yourself.

And it does / will, but as uninitiated as I am I figured there had to be a reason for all the negative rep HD has received. Well, beyond the stereotype of the fanatic.

Incidentally, I've been to two different local dealerships while shopping. One Harley, one import. One of the dealerships was completely against test rides, due to the possibility that a buyer would "Jew us down on price for a demo'd bike." The other threw me the keys to a bike after I said "how is that one" and said "come find me when you're done."

...it's been kind of difficult to cross-shop the Yamaha Bolt and Honda CTX700e.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Revvik posted:

Direct quote #1

No one is more annoyed by faux outrage and the pc police than me, but that's some 1955 talk right there.

Garage queen sporties are plentiful on the used market, if that's an option financially and you're not absolutely married to the rarer 48 config. Whatever you do--do not, under any circumstances, ink a deal with their lending arm Eaglemark. You'll be wishing you went to Satan or the mob instead.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Revvik posted:

And it does / will, but as uninitiated as I am I figured there had to be a reason for all the negative rep HD has received. Well, beyond the stereotype of the fanatic.

Incidentally, I've been to two different local dealerships while shopping. One Harley, one import. One of the dealerships was completely against test rides, due to the possibility that a buyer would "Jew us down on price for a demo'd bike." The other threw me the keys to a bike after I said "how is that one" and said "come find me when you're done."

...it's been kind of difficult to cross-shop the Yamaha Bolt and Honda CTX700e.

The only Harleys I know you should stay away from are the AMF-era bikes and the ones shortly thereafter, which have a build quality so lovely that they make a manure factory look like a Vegas buffet. We're talking hilariously bad tolerances in machining/casting that result in components outright not fitting together. This was told to me by an incredibly cool Harley enthusiast that bragged about owning an H-D from every decade the motorcycles were produced (except for the first one). The guy was the biggest brand apologist alive and still couldn't muster up the positivity necessary to complement the AMF bikes in relation to what H-D is producing today.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yep. AMF-era Harleys are objectively bad. Hard to go wrong with a sporty from the last 15 years though. The BEST one is the XR1200X but good luck even glimpsing that unicorn.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

clutchpuck posted:

Yep. AMF-era Harleys are objectively bad. Hard to go wrong with a sporty from the last 15 years though. The BEST one is the XR1200X but good luck even glimpsing that unicorn.

I saw one at my local Ducati/KTM dealer. It was orange and had like 180 miles on it? It was selling for like $5800 or something. Then I noticed the big sign on the tiny headlight that said SOLD: Please respect the new owner.

The salesman was like, "did you get a look at the mileage? That one sold quickly!" Yeah I'll bet.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Wow $5800 is a steal for a XR-X. The only XR on my local CL is a plain XR1200 for like $8000.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah I was pretty surprised; I know they don't typically sell Harleys but drat. No wonder it sold so quickly.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Revvik posted:

There's no easy way to break into this topic, so here goes.

I found a sanely priced Sportster XL1200X '48 (2010, $8,000, 350 miles; people are regularly asking $9500+). Can afford, and can still keep my Kawasaki registered / insured.

Really interested in some modern amenities like fuel injection, brakes that grab really well, and lights that are visible, and I am also really into the way the '48 looks and rides; took one out at a dealership the day after I got licensed.

The cons: it's black. I could get a CTX700 for that price, new, although probably not in the color I want.

I'm not sure what Kawasaki you have, but if you're looking for good performance, like brakes that grab really well, I'm not going to put my money on Harley. The brakes on the Harleys I've ridden have all been acceptable, not anywhere near what I would consider good. SV650 is dramatically better. Fueling and stuff tends to be good, but I'm always leery when people say they're upgrading to a Harley for any reason but "I like the style and am willing to live with the compromises that style entails".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm aware you live under the oppressive thumb of CARB but there's nothing that sounds better than a Harley v-twin through pipes. Nothing.

What's that? I'm sorry, I can't hear you disagree over the glorious potato potato!