Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Thats surprising to me because we've had pretty low numbers from what I've seen the last few days and we only have a few people who'll sit in Libs a lot. I have bitched at people for too many A2G Mossies though.
Theres more of a tendancy than I'd like sometimes for "EVERYONE HAS TO DO THE SAME THING." I'll ask for an A2A wingman an suddenly like 3 more people pull mossies and then theres just a ball and nothing to shoot and its rare theres an opposing ball to fight repeatedly. I also hate when it turns into 5 people all shooting the same single bad flailing ESF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

two-thirds posted:

Next time the airspergs throw a hissy fit and drop the ball in participation (if they are graced a "next time"), we don't need to frantically search last minute to find dedicated pilots, we just need to find regular mans to fill the air platoon.

That's what happened during the smash - Wycliff found regular mans. I know because I played in the air platoon and I have next to zero time in the air.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

At this point if any full time air people quit at short notice ban their rear end from all SS because holy poo poo don't loving cater to children throwing a tantrum. Its not like skill in the air makes a huge difference at this point either its merely warm bodies willing to fly.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Man, was having kind of an off night and figured out what it was towards the end of the last Indar alert. I was getting around a half second delay from when I decloaked to when I could fire. It's normally instantaneous. No one else in yell seemed to be having the issue. My ping was fluctuating between 80 and 140 or so. Didn't see anything higher. Nothing like popping out to kill someone and getting gunned down before I even start firing. Felt like there were a lot of pretty late kill trades too.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I have that all the time. I didn't know that wasn't supposed to happen.

JuancitoEfectivo
Sep 3, 2011
I hope that once the double xp thing is over MAX spam will diminish, but i guess ppl who have tasted being a walking deathrobot with twice as much health are not gonna give that up v easily. It feels like there's at least one MAX in every fight now

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

JuancitoEfectivo posted:

I hope that once the double xp thing is over MAX spam will diminish, but i guess ppl who have tasted being a walking deathrobot with twice as much health are not gonna give that up v easily. It feels like there's at least one MAX in every fight now

We've had half-price MAXs the last two days when I've logged on so I've been living in my suit, with double XP Engineers are more than happy to pave the ground in ammo packs and repair. If for some reason I run out of resources I glue myself to the first MAX I find and do the same.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

fknlo posted:

Man, was having kind of an off night and figured out what it was towards the end of the last Indar alert. I was getting around a half second delay from when I decloaked to when I could fire. It's normally instantaneous. No one else in yell seemed to be having the issue. My ping was fluctuating between 80 and 140 or so. Didn't see anything higher. Nothing like popping out to kill someone and getting gunned down before I even start firing. Felt like there were a lot of pretty late kill trades too.

Its weird actually, I swear when I'm on my NC emerald character I randomly get poor connection quality quite often compared to my VS and TR guys (and never happens on Connery)

JuancitoEfectivo posted:

It feels like there's at least one MAX in every fight now

One?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

JuancitoEfectivo posted:

I did some back of the envelope calculations looking at the map at a bunch if fights with my dildar down the other day, and the results are as follows:

VS: tend to have one max per 5 infantry, or about 2 per squad. Sometimes more than this, very rarely less. Pretty consistent, but this number drat near triples when they have Hossin and are at a base where they are meeting any resistance at all

NC: good freaking luck guessing. I've been to fights where no NC pulls one for two straight bases, and I've been to 1-12 fights where the NC were 80% MAXes. When we have Hossin the number of MAXes doesn't change but they play much more aggressively, and a couple NC MAXes willing to play aggressively is pretty goddamn rough to face

TR: who loving knows. They pull a boatload but then they either stay in the spawn until forced out, run off solo across the base from the point or onto a hill in the middle of nowhere with bursters, or play so cautiously around the objective as to not exist. Hossin ownership doesn't seem to change this at all

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I have absolutely noticed VS being the most likely to pull a shitload of MAXes at the drop of a hat, and also the most prolific in whining about the enemy team pulling MAXes.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
As far as I'm aware, the only NC who aren't in MAXes are ones waiting for their resources to replenish. Every time I rounded a corner tonight I got Falconed or Scattercannoned.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SRM posted:

As far as I'm aware, the only NC who aren't in MAXes are ones waiting for their resources to replenish. Every time I rounded a corner tonight I got Falconed or Scattercannoned.

If your max is good and you know it, pull a max

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
Dear DBG, please make Pounders track aircraft like Coyotes thanks.

http://www.gfycat.com/IdealAmusedDuckbillplatypus

E: spelling

Klowns fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 4, 2015

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I think the only really interesting part of that gfy is how you blurred out your name in the killfeed.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Horizontal Tree posted:

I think the only really interesting part of that gfy is how you blurred out your name in the killfeed.

:agreed:

You took a bunch of pointless potshots that would have been interesting if they hit, but none of them did, and none of them, from any faction's MAX, could have been expected to, then died in a predictable and boring way, but went to the effort of blurring your name. Why?

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

hailthefish posted:

:agreed:

You took a bunch of pointless potshots that would have been interesting if they hit, but none of them did, and none of them, from any faction's MAX, could have been expected to, then died in a predictable and boring way, but went to the effort of blurring your name. Why?

Yeah, it was a lost cause, hence the comment about Coyotes missiles. I was pretty impressed with his flying though, a good way to get used to the new flight controls would be to hang out at a jump pad like that. There was a Galaxy on the Biolab pad trying to Bulldog farm but I blew that up before I jumped over.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Make MAXes free + the default spawn class so new players don't get confused.

Also remove charge's cooldown as MAXes are not mobile enough.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

Westy543 posted:

Make MAXes free + the default spawn class so new players don't get confused.

Also remove charge's cooldown as MAXes are not mobile enough.

do all these things and also remove heavy from the game

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Only MAXes can pull BFRs.

Unclean009
Mar 27, 2010

Remove all classes and make all infantry have all class abilities. It'll be the new Crysis. Your soldier can heal, jet pack, have a shield, repair, revive, and cloak. MAXes have a new purpose of changing things up and everyone will be on the same playing field against maxes since you can jetpack with your overshield to get away.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Make MAXes free but also make Charge active 100% of the time you are not firing

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

This. Unironically. :rice:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

do all these things and also remove heavy from the game

And remove C4

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Also delete Planetside 2.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Then delete air again, to be safe.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I've been doing some VR testing and figured I'd just post this again here for people who don't know (we have had a few newer players post):

If you're specifically planning to hunt Sunderers, do NOT use the Decimator. Instead use one of your faction's 250 cert lock-on launchers. (Grounder, Nemesis, Hawk, or SKEP/Hades/Crow if you're some kind of scrub who doesn't wanna gently caress skygods)

In testing, to kill a max deployment shield Sunderer, it takes 9 stock dumbfire (ML-7/S1/Shrike) hits, 8 Deci hits (in time spent this isn't as much of a gain as reloading the Deci 7 times takes less than 2 seconds less time than it takes to reload the Shrike 8 times (always assuming you have maxed munitions pouch for some stupid reason) and 8 hits from the lock-on launchers...and the lock-ons reload just as fast as the stock option.

Against a Sunderer without shield or blockade armor, you're looking at 5 Hawks, 5 Decis and 6 Shrikes.

So basically using a Decimator against Sunderers saddles you with longer reload, worse velocity and steeper projectile drop for no gain over the cheaper Hawk, and the 250 cert lock-ons are straight upgrades to the Shrike since they fly very straight in dumbfire (when I first got my Hawk it had pretty steep projectile drop in dumbfire mode, no longer the case) and have a scope that is much better than the Shrike/Deci iron sights.

If you're shooting a Blockade Sunderer in the back (its strongest facing) it takes 9 Decimators to kill it. It also takes 9 Hawks. It takes 10 Shrike hits to kill a Blockade Sunderer from the back.

Shooting the Blockade armor from the front or side takes 7 Decis, although the 6th leaves it with a barely visible sliver of health. Same for Hawk. 7 for kill, 6 for barely visible sliver of health. Shrike takes 8, the 7th again leaves a barely visible sliver of health.

In every conceivable Sunderer-shooting circumstance, the Hawk/Crow are superior to the Shrike by damage and to the Decimator by reload speed, ammo carried, rocket flight characteristics and ease of aiming. And cost. And keeping AA capability.

Against a Vanguard, it takes 8 Shrikes to the front, but like with the Blockade Sunderer, the 7th leaves it with so little health you can barely tell (but not so little that it burns up before you reload the launcher). The Hawk/Crow take 9 missiles to kill a Vanguard from the front, 8 leave it burning badly. The Decimator only takes 7, with the 6th leaving it burning. So against tanks the Decimator is still the most damaging. Although again, in total time spent reloading, the Decimator only gains just under 3 seconds on the stock launcher due to the accumulated reload speed advantage :v: And depending on range to target and target's mobility, the worse projectile behavior on the Deci might not be to your liking.

I suppose the Decimator will also do more damage against MAX units especially because MAX flak armor only reduces splash (of which the Deci has less than other rockets) but not direct hits (where the Deci has the highest listed damage). If you're not landing direct hits on guys, the lower splash damage on the Deci means another dumbfire would have been better when rocket-primarying infantry.

TL;DR: Best launcher to shoot at Sunderers is G2A lock-on, accept no substitutes. G2G does same damage but why aren't you looking to gently caress skygods on the side, you scrub. Decimator most damaging against actual tanks. The damage listed on a weapon basically is only what it will do to infantry, what it does to vehicles is entirely down to the vehicle resistance system.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 4, 2015

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Epic High Five posted:

Also give MAXes collision damage so I can WHONG people to death like in Section 8.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Oh so that's why I see all these fkn Sundies reversing everywhere

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Klowns posted:

Yeah, it was a lost cause, hence the comment about Coyotes missiles. I was pretty impressed with his flying though, a good way to get used to the new flight controls would be to hang out at a jump pad like that. There was a Galaxy on the Biolab pad trying to Bulldog farm but I blew that up before I jumped over.

The joke is that you're so loving weird and poo poo at the game that you hide your in gifs name lest someone look up :qq: your stats :qq:

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Blockade armor specifically increases your rear armor (think blockade running, you'd be shot in the back after you make it through), otherwise they take the same damage from all directions.

Psykmoe posted:

The damage listed on a weapon basically is only what it will do to infantry, what it does to vehicles is entirely down to the vehicle resistance system.

Yep, it's a huge flaw in the way stats are displayed about weapons that can damage vehicles. Higby said they were aware of it as far as a year or so ago, but there's nothing really they can agree on about how to display them easily. A drop-down for "damage against... [vehicle] [armor facing]" would be too complicated to add at the bottom or in another tab I guess? :shrug:

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Psykmoe posted:

TL;DR: Best launcher to shoot at Sunderers is G2A lock-on, accept no substitutes. G2G does same damage but why aren't you looking to gently caress skygods on the side, you scrub. Decimator most damaging against actual tanks. The damage listed on a weapon basically is only what it will do to infantry, what it does to vehicles is entirely down to the vehicle resistance system.

This is pretty counter-intuitive. Why does the anti-air launcher perform better than the dumbfire-high-damage launcher against a Sunderer?? All those times I've tried to C4+Decimate a Sunderer...

Cuz when I see the Decimator, I think to myself "this launcher should gently caress up any and all vehicles, if you can hit them", but nope use anti-air for killin' Sunderers :soe:

On the bright side, it just gives me more reason to use the G2A launcher all the time.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

lmao that guy that blurred his name from a gif

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

magic mountain posted:

Laugh At Me Will They?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Klowns posted:

When I see stuff like this as soon as a log in I know something's going on and I have to check the forum...and update my ignore list, really didn't think there were that many GOKU members I didn't have on ignore at this point.

But yes, RIP this game. Will probably have a few months left, it's unlikely they'd pull the plug on it before third quarter reports come out.
Guys don't make fun of him he can't see you posting, jokes on u :twisted:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Dont chase klowns off. We will always have one shitposter who shines above the rest and in that function he's not the worst we've had.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like PSB has already informed the next two server smash participants that the NC are not an option :laffo:

Edit -
Presented without comment

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 4, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

Looks like PSB has already informed the next two server smash participants that the NC are not an option :laffo:

Instead of fixing this bug we'll just do this. Sounds like some Briggs people cried hard enough in someones ear.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Edit -
Presented without comment

what the gently caress am I looking at

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

An accurate representation of east-central Indar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

"Snipers preying on noobs" should have been "Airhammer Target Practice Zone", but otherwise it's pretty accurate.

Though I admit that I do find Howling Pass a really fun base to fight in... inside the walls only, and only before the shields come down. Lots of actual, honest-to-goodness long-range infantry firefights, which aren't that easy to find.

• Locked thread