Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Bob Morales posted:

Boss's kid is interning. he's not even here 5 minutes and puts a helpdesk ticket in:

Please install Google Chrome

To be fair, I know of at least one major company (other than Google) that uses Chrome as its corporate standard.

Still, the kid is coming off as an entitled little poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Ynglaur posted:

Given Dilbert's post, I'm not sure he's allowed ITT anymore. :colbert:

That was/is the a ticket came in thread but yeah i started reading the post without looking at the username and half way through I looked and stooped caring about anything it said.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Why is it that when you don't need this, salespeople never leave you alone, but as soon as you need something ASAP you can't get a single one on the loving phone.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My favourite sales experience is when you're pretty sure you know what you want having done your research, and you're just after confirmation that you're buying the right thing, and a price. A nice easy job to turn around, you'd think. Somehow my request for confirmation on PBX pricing/compatibility and a price turned into a sales pitch for a hosted product with 50 new handsets (I already have a bunch of Polycom VVX things that are listed as supported by the vendor). A reply to point this out was pretty much the end of the email chain.

Telephony :argh:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

We have it locked down so they can't install software. He quit after 3 days last year so we'll see. It's more of he's going to be looking for sports car pictures for 3 hours to use as his desktop wallpaper and not actually do any work.

- POSTED WHILE SURFING SOMETHINGAWFUL.COM INTERNET FORUMS AT WORK

Honestly people are honestly caring too much about interns lately. Would you prefer he browse whatever wants on IE instead? This seems like a silly non issue.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I have an interview on Thursday for a position as a solutions Architect at a local MSP. The job looks very promising and I was excited for the interview.

I figured I would do my due diligence and since I have a great relationship with the boss here I let them know I would like to take Thursday off to attend the 4 hour interview.

After a lengthy discussion where I assured them I wouldn't abandon them the ops manager says "I consider the interview your 2 weeks notice" and leaves the room.

Moral of the story: gently caress if I know. I thought I was being the good guy here for giving them a heads up and being honest. I guess the jokes on me.

I only started looking for a new job because I needed more money for my wedding and I told them that. The kicker is I hadn't started applying yet. It was a company that saved my resume from last year sometime.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Yeah I've always understood that to be an awful idea. Even in places that don't fly off the handle like that, if you don't get that job and they think you're important to how things run, they could be hiring your replacement and showing you the door before you've found something else. All the due diligence you need to give is to work your notice period as its written in your contract.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sickening posted:

Honestly people are honestly caring too much about interns lately. Would you prefer he browse whatever wants on IE instead? This seems like a silly non issue.

If the intern gets it, why can't I?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

m.hache posted:

So I have an interview on Thursday for a position as a solutions Architect at a local MSP. The job looks very promising and I was excited for the interview.

I figured I would do my due diligence and since I have a great relationship with the boss here I let them know I would like to take Thursday off to attend the 4 hour interview.

After a lengthy discussion where I assured them I wouldn't abandon them the ops manager says "I consider the interview your 2 weeks notice" and leaves the room.

Moral of the story: gently caress if I know. I thought I was being the good guy here for giving them a heads up and being honest. I guess the jokes on me.

I only started looking for a new job because I needed more money for my wedding and I told them that. The kicker is I hadn't started applying yet. It was a company that saved my resume from last year sometime.

Never ever ever tell your current employer that you are looking at new jobs. Even if you like your boss and the company and they like you once they know you are looking attitudes start to change. Even if they don't outright start looking for a replacement they might think you'll get short timers syndrome and start slacking off or not considering you for raises or promotions since you're on your way out.

Last place I left tried to say I should've talked to them about leaving and that they would have tried "to work something out". When I told them I was leaving for an extra $15k they said they would have never been able to match that, they also couldnt promise any promotions or job title changes or any change in the type of work. Talk is cheap basically.

Ryzic
Feb 28, 2009

No, actually. I would hate to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!
Grimey Drawer

Ahdinko posted:

Yeah I've always understood that to be an awful idea. Even in places that don't fly off the handle like that, if you don't get that job and they think you're important to how things run, they could be hiring your replacement and showing you the door before you've found something else. All the due diligence you need to give is to work your notice period as its written in your contract.

I'm with you. I really enjoyed my old boss, and am still in contact with him. He got two and some change weeks notice the day I accepted the new offer. On the interviews I used vacation days and said I was going to be using my vacation days and that was it.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
When I ask you to be a reference, a supervisory one at that, and tell you they're calling, PLEASE ANSWER THE GODDAMN CALL. Will you at least loving call them back? You are the only thing holding me back from a loving raise, benefits and other poo poo. I thought you were a decent supervisor, but holy hell I should have known better.

Holy goddamn poo poo you were loving useless.

e: thinking back, there was a reason I didn't like you when I first started working there.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 4, 2015

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I guess that ones on me.

I even offered to help them out after hours/weekends as needed since currently I'm just sitting in a chair on retainer. There are rarely any problems here and they have been pushing off a large project for the better half of a year.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Never ever ever tell your current employer that you are looking at new jobs. Even if you like your boss and the company and they like you once they know you are looking attitudes start to change. Even if they don't outright start looking for a replacement they might think you'll get short timers syndrome and start slacking off or not considering you for raises or promotions since you're on your way out.

Last place I left tried to say I should've talked to them about leaving and that they would have tried "to work something out". When I told them I was leaving for an extra $15k they said they would have never been able to match that, they also couldnt promise any promotions or job title changes or any change in the type of work. Talk is cheap basically.

Had exactly the same in an exit interview two jobs previous. Handed my notice in and got called into a meeting a few hours later with my boss and my bosses boss. I was leaving because I'd been promoted from 2nd line to 3rd line and was awaiting my payrise (there was new CEO's and buyouts and restructures and poo poo so I waited it out, they came back with that they are generously giving me a payrise from £24,000 to £24,400 per annum. So I said gently caress this and got a job where i got a deserved wage for the role)

In the exit interview:

Bosses boss: "We're keen to keep you Ahdinko, why are you leaving and what would it take for you to stay?"
Me: "the payrise was unjust and I feel I need more for the role, and that is my only reason for leaving."
Bosses boss: "Ok no problem, I wish you had told us before as the board pay review meetings are only monthly and your notice is 4 weeks time, but we'll see if we can rush this through for the next one and see what we can do. What figure are you looking at?"
Me: "If it starts with a £3xxxx, I'll consider staying"
Bosses Boss: "Uh, well Ahdinko, its been a pleasure working with you" *shakes hand*

After they lost 7 or 8 of the team of 15 in a 5 month period from poo poo like that, they gave the rest a 50% payrise to get them to stay.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 4, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

m.hache posted:

Don't let them screw you out of unemployment. Continue working on as if nothing had happened. You didn't put in a two weeks notice so don't let them act like you did.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Don't let them screw you out of unemployment. Continue working on as if nothing had happened. You didn't put in a two weeks notice so don't let them act like you did.

At this point I doubt there is any valid reason that they can fire me for. It's not illegal to search for other jobs.

If they stick with it and throw me to the curb I'll be contacting a lawyer to see what my rights are.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Gothmog1065 posted:

When I ask you to be a reference, a supervisory one at that, and tell you they're calling, PLEASE ANSWER THE GODDAMN CALL. Will you at least loving call them back? You are the only thing holding me back from a loving raise, benefits and other poo poo. I thought you were a decent supervisor, but holy hell I should have known better.

Holy goddamn poo poo you were loving useless.

e: thinking back, there was a reason I didn't like you when I first started working there.

It seems there's quite a few people in this industry who are scared of answering phones or returning calls. I had a line manager once who used to start a support call with a company, give out the hunt group number as the contact, and then disappear for days. Meanwhile we're taking calls from guys wanting to close the ticket out and can't give any more information than, "uh he's not here. no I have no idea when he will be back".

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

It seems there's quite a few people in this industry who are scared of answering phones or returning calls. I had a line manager once who used to start a support call with a company, give out the hunt group number as the contact, and then disappear for days. Meanwhile we're taking calls from guys wanting to close the ticket out and can't give any more information than, "uh he's not here. no I have no idea when he will be back".

Yeah, I told him to expect it, but he's the "laid back cool guy" that somehow gets away with not doing a lot of work. He's probably ignoring and/or forgetting about it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why does every lovely DVR use some weird proprietary codec that you have to get some lovely player for?

We get so many videos for legal reasons. Each one is a pain in the balls to get working right.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

Why does every lovely DVR use some weird proprietary codec that you have to get some lovely player for?

We get so many videos for legal reasons. Each one is a pain in the balls to get working right.

They could at least make the viewing software not all look/function like Fisher Price: My First Media Player.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Sickening posted:

Honestly people are honestly caring too much

Please drink coffee before posting! :coffeepal:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

^ ^ ^ There's something new and hilariously disturbing every time I look at that.

Rufus is both more versatile (can make boot disks for more things than just Windows PE) and more reliable (doesn't take a dump when it's time to make the thing bootable and can make something that actually WORKS for EFI bootpaths).

Alternately for Windows 8 on make the thing bootable yourself (which requires a command in DiskPart and a command outside DiskPart, hence more work than Rufus) and just copy the contents of the ISO over. This works with EFI bootpaths, unlike 7, where doing that is kind of a pain unless you have an existing Windows 7 environment.

Rufus is great. Its faster than other tools that do the same thing on top of what has already been said. If you work with imaging much it also allows you to create a thumbdrive with a bootable NTFS volume that can be read by EFI.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Ahdinko posted:

Bosses boss: "We're keen to keep you Ahdinko, why are you leaving and what would it take for you to stay?"
Me: "the payrise was unjust and I feel I need more for the role, and that is my only reason for leaving."
Bosses boss: "Ok no problem, I wish you had told us before as the board pay review meetings are only monthly and your notice is 4 weeks time, but we'll see if we can rush this through for the next one and see what we can do. What figure are you looking at?"
Me: "If it starts with a £3xxxx, I'll consider staying"
Bosses Boss: "Uh, well Ahdinko, its been a pleasure working with you" *shakes hand*

I had this exact same discussion, except it was a jump from $50k to $90k. They asked what it would take to get me to stay, I told them how much I was making for switching, and they said they couldn't justify paying me more than my boss.

Spoiler alert: they underpaid everyone. My raise took me into the high-middle of "what other people with your job title make" territory.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Not strictly tech-related, but our god damned facilities people.

"Yeah, we'll maybe get around to fixing the three-years-broken AC in there. Until then, you'll just have to live with it."

In a helpdesk that's also the most active lab on campus. With 50+ machines, usually about that many people, and two offices with no windows.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A client would rather kick two of their guys off their Macs for half a day while a third person fumbles through imaging them with the latest OS and apps, than pay us an incredibly cheap half-day rate (like under £300 cheap) to swoop in with two freshly imaged machines and swap them out, taking maybe 15 minutes per person and tidy some other stuff up while we are there.

This is the same client that preferred to knock their office offline for the last couple of hours of the day for a firewall upgrade and send 30 people home early than pay for the work to be done out of hours. How dumb do you need to be to actually go out of business?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ynglaur posted:

Still, the kid is coming off as an entitled little poo poo.

That would be "I must have Chrome installed". MSIE has plenty of holes I'm sure someone could be imaginative and get it to drive-by install Chrome :cheeky:

Or you have an intern mentor moment: office is a boring place with cranky IT staff and diabolical software, go with the flow and use your iPhone or iPad to surf normal sites.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 4, 2015

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm not sure why you'd force a user to justify why they want to use Chrome. It's a browser, they're going to browse the internet with it. We deploy IE as the standard browser but anytime someone asks to have Chrome installed, I do it. *I* can't even stand to use IE as my primary browser so why should I force that on my users?

(We're only stuck 3 versions behind ok.....)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
My company uses IE9 (soon to be 11) by default. We only use Firefox, strictly, for maybe 1 or 2 other applications, and that's it. Everything else is IE or bust.

That doesn't stop people from openly installing Chrome, Firefox, Opera, or any other browser, and then accidentally making it the default browser, and them screaming "WHY DOES THIS NOT WORK THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION!!!"

I understand the reason, and why he would need to find a justification. If the environment doesn't need Chrome, and your IT policies say otherwise, then there's no need for it.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
ITT help desk getting mad about a polite software install requests in a locked down ecosystem.

(that's why I run linux off the domain on my workstation now)

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Dear fly by night SIP carriers, please do not post incorrect domain information for registering to your servers. Then provide me with a domain you insist is setup for SRV DNS even though it is not. Had to eventually edit the hosts file to point the domain to the IP it needed so it would accept the register and invite packets.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Prescription Combs posted:

(that's why I run linux off the domain on my workstation now)

You are quite the badass.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Moey posted:

You are quite the badass.

:wink:

It's allowed per company policy.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Prescription Combs posted:

:wink:

It's allowed per company policy.
Anyone tired of hearing me talk about how great working from home is?

"Company policy" if you work from home and are assertive enough, is anything you want to do. This, I love.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

"Company policy" if you work from home and are assertive enough, is anything you want to do. This, I love.

Lucky bastard.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I've mentioned my companies' "do whatever you want, if you gently caress it up we're reimaging it" policy. It's pretty great if you aren't stupid, and if you are stupid you learn pretty drat fast. (Or you just don't touch anything, which still counts as a win.)

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I love the first part of that policy because of the second part of that policy, and that it is actually enforced. I've worked in a "Do whatever you want... no that's the entire policy" shop, and it's not hard to imagine a "Do whatever you want, if you gently caress it up... someone will spend days of their life trying to please you."

But aside from some baseline restrictions of course around required-AV, Group Policy, and SCCM deployments, I've got no problem with an end user running anything they want. I imagine if I put more thought into this post I'd have a list of 20 or 30 apps I don't want to see anywhere for any reason, but this discussion was originally borne out of Chrome vs IE, and my answer is "sure".

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

sup work from home buddy

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I love the first part of that policy because of the second part of that policy, and that it is actually enforced. I've worked in a "Do whatever you want... no that's the entire policy" shop, and it's not hard to imagine a "Do whatever you want, if you gently caress it up... someone will spend days of their life trying to please you."

But aside from some baseline restrictions of course around required-AV, Group Policy, and SCCM deployments, I've got no problem with an end user running anything they want. I imagine if I put more thought into this post I'd have a list of 20 or 30 apps I don't want to see anywhere for any reason, but this discussion was originally borne out of Chrome vs IE, and my answer is "sure".

The only real reason I can see to force a specific browser is to enforce a user experience, or security. If you version control all the browsers(at a relatively up to date version) and provide an intranet system actually worth using, then the rest takes care of itself(I just discovered, after a year and a half, that my companies main intranet is actually pretty drat useful)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Home Office bros :hfive:

We allow BYOD and have three rules:

1 - No split tunnel VPNs (there's arguments for and against that policy, but it's not one I care about to tell the truth).
2 - Have to have an approved AV running. Currently I'm running Sophos, because even though I'm not too worried about viruses on my Macbook Pro, it will also scan for Windows malware as well.
3 - Your OS needs to be within at least one patch release of the latest updates.

As long as you meet those requirements, you're allowed to use whatever you want. Most use the company provided laptop, but some of us use systems we've purchased ourselves (and then can claim a percentage for tax purposes).

I still go into the office once or twice a week, since it's nice to see the team (it also justifies my desk space) and it's a good break in my routine.

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

tomapot posted:

Not pissing me off: I'm in Chicago for the Microsoft Ignite conference, currently at a Cubs game with a bunch of SharePoint geeks.
Any other goons here this week?

I was registered and reimbursed for the expense, and then my company forced me to cancel because of cut backs on discretionary spending. I should be there right now and it sucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

flosofl posted:

Home Office bros :hfive:

We allow BYOD and have three rules:

1 - No split tunnel VPNs (there's arguments for and against that policy, but it's not one I care about to tell the truth).
2 - Have to have an approved AV running. Currently I'm running Sophos, because even though I'm not too worried about viruses on my Macbook Pro, it will also scan for Windows malware as well.
3 - Your OS needs to be within at least one patch release of the latest updates.

As long as you meet those requirements, you're allowed to use whatever you want. Most use the company provided laptop, but some of us use systems we've purchased ourselves (and then can claim a percentage for tax purposes).

I still go into the office once or twice a week, since it's nice to see the team (it also justifies my desk space) and it's a good break in my routine.
I want BYOD for laptops so bad...