Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I was watching a Russian twitch stream and a mod he was using caught my eye. His garage has a stats overlay on the tank icons:

He didn't speak english so I couldn't ask where to find it and some cursory google searching turned up nothing. Does anyone have any idea where I can get this mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

CompeAnansi posted:

I was watching a Russian twitch stream and a mod he was using caught my eye. His garage has a stats overlay on the tank icons:

He didn't speak english so I couldn't ask where to find it and some cursory google searching turned up nothing. Does anyone have any idea where I can get this mod?

Whatever the mod it is in the OMC mod pack because the only mods I use is from that pack and my garage looks like that (Slightly different but same information).

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

CompeAnansi posted:

I'm pretty certain it's part of XVM and is definitely available in Aslain's mod installer.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Uranium 235 posted:

It gives 15 hp and decreases the aim time from 1.9 to 1.7 seconds. It probably improves other gun handling stats (like bloom when turning the turret), but I'm not sure about that.

http://tank-compare.com/en/compare/m8a1/m8a1#T1=62I35I4I77I112&T2=63I35I4I77I112

ah, okay. Well, I guess that's something. Not sure how much that's gonna help when I'm getting two-shot by pretty much every tank above tier 3, though. :)

I think I'm gonna train up my crew to 100%, start working on the camo skill and buy some optics (in addition to the camo net I already have) for the M8A1. At least that way, I might get off another shot or two before I explode.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
How do i cromwell? ( I swear to god im not trolling here)

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

M.C. McMic posted:

ah, okay. Well, I guess that's something. Not sure how much that's gonna help when I'm getting two-shot by pretty much every tank above tier 3, though. :)

I think I'm gonna train up my crew to 100%, start working on the camo skill and buy some optics (in addition to the camo net I already have) for the M8A1. At least that way, I might get off another shot or two before I explode.
The key to the M8A1 is to not put yourself in a position to lose hp. Don't go to the front lines, don't YOLO, don't get spotted. If you do get spotted, move into cover for 10 seconds, and consider relocating. You need to be as annoying as possible. If you can find a good position, you can DPM targets down pretty fast. You have to play to the tank's strengths, and not its weaknesses. Don't get into a situation where you have to brawl.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

M.C. McMic posted:

If you are shooting tanks looking your way you should be firing one or two shots and then ducking behind cover to drop the spot against you, then pop out and shoot again preferably in a different location.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slaapaav posted:

You're going to want to focus on learning how to stay alive first, and doing that will teach you how the tank handles well enough to pull off stunning flanking maneuvers.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Uranium 235 posted:

I dunno about the specifics of that turret and tank, but turrets usually give boosts to view range, hp, armor, turret traverse, rate of fire, and gun handling. Not all turrets give all of these bonuses, and sometimes one or more of these categories will actually get worse. But upgraded turrets are virtually always worth it.

Note: the Jackson's top turret is a trap. I found that out the hard way, and I finished the tank without using it(after buying it, mounting it, finding it was useless and demounting it). It makes you easier to spot, gives the opponent more places to shoot you(it's open topped, but the top turret adds a cover which can be penned frontally with ease) and does nothing to prevent artillery from dunking a shell into your roof, because it's like 17mm thick, and it isn't even needed for the top gun.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Maybe he is like 8 years old and just saw Predator for the first time.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Shoot all the barns.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Axetrain posted:

Maybe he is like 8 years old and just saw Predator for the first time.

I think I'm missing something from the Predator reference.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

The Southern Dandy posted:

I think I'm missing something from the Predator reference.

Assuming it has something to do with this-

Shoot All The Things

utvolsbaby
May 19, 2004
Go Big Orange

McGavin posted:

:siren:Here's a link to my modpack for 9.7!:siren:

Here are the fonts it uses.

It contains:
- XVM with my own brand of lines on the minimap
- White = Maximum spotting/draw distance and traverse indicators
- Red = Artillery and low tier autoloader range
- Green = View range and camera direction
- 2 seconds protection from shooting at corpses
- J1mb0's crosshair mod
- Server-side crosshair
- 500m zoom out, 16x zoom in
- Scope shadow removed
- Locastan's damage panel, session stats, and team HP
- MeltyMap's damage and effective armour indicators.
- 2 row tank carousel
- My Metal Gear Solid sixth sense mod (disappears after 12 seconds)
- HP bars
- Battle assistant
- Received damage announcer
- Lock-on autoaim
- 15m shoot through bushes safely circle (hold Numpad 0)
- Autoequip binocs/toolbox/camo net
- :tviv: A PENETRATION CALCULATOR THAT USES ARMOUR ANGLE :getin:

It probably also has some other stuff I've forgotten about, but nothing that can get you banned. Let me know if there are any issues.

Yessssss. Thanks so much.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Slaapaav posted:

Be annoying. Zoom everywhere and shoot things in the side. The cromwell has good depression as well so using hills to peak around and pop out shells is a good idea.

EDIT: Also you're the best McGavin.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 4, 2015

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
The T28HTC is so good. Nothing makes me rub my hands with glee getting top tier than with this thing. My opinion might change when Arty queues are back to normal though.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any idea how the May the 4th missions work?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

TRIVIA TIME!

What do all of these platoonmates have in common?

ANSWER:

they all got killed by this shitlord, one of which was a (fire-assisted) one-shot.
http://wotreplays.com/site/1849907#redshire-byezimyannij-kv-2

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Has anyone ever shot a TOG from the front? It seems like they are always showing me their (ENORMOUS) sides. Did 1700+ damage in my SU85B today in one match, most of it against clueless TOGs.

Also, seconded on Paul's question. Anyone figure WTF on the hidden missions yet?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I finished the first mission in an arty where I got a medal. I forgot to write down the details before transferring over to USA East. The second secret mission is rumored to involve a light tank, the third secret mission is rumored to involve a heavy, and there's supposed to be a fourth mission involving a td. v0v.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

WayAbvPar posted:

Has anyone ever shot a TOG from the front? It seems like they are always showing me their (ENORMOUS) sides. Did 1700+ damage in my SU85B today in one match, most of it against clueless TOGs.

Also, seconded on Paul's question. Anyone figure WTF on the hidden missions yet?

Problem with the TOG (when driving it) is that its near impossible to not show your side to something.
There is a lot of things I regret in WoT. Buying a TOG is near the top.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

There is a lot of things I regret in WoT. Installing the game is near the top.

ftfy

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
So, question for you all:

My crew on the T-28 is at 95% (except my commander at 87%). I'll also be hitting the KV-1 soon, so I'm wondering a few things:

Keep leveling the crew to 100/110, select crew skills and move on?

Or just get the crew to 100% and keep the commander in the T-28.

I assume both radiomen should be repair, but what about the commander/gunner/driver?

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

CitizenKain posted:

Problem with the TOG (when driving it) is that its near impossible to not show your side to something.
There is a lot of things I regret in WoT. Buying a TOG is near the top.

And I am going to grind out 500 kills this month for a tank I will probably never drive. I think I may have a problem.

I haven't played any lights today (or arty, I don't think), so perhaps that is why I haven't finished the missions yet.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blindeye posted:

My crew on the T-28 is at 95% (except my commander at 87%). I'll also be hitting the KV-1 soon, so I'm wondering a few things:

I assume both radiomen should be repair, but what about the commander/gunner/driver?

Elite your T-28 before ditching it for the KV-1. It doesnt matter what their main qualification is at, they'll unlock their first skill soon enough. When that happens, everyone gets repair, retrain commander to sixth sense when his second skill is at 41%. This is my SOP for heavies and mediums.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Blindeye posted:

Keep the T-28 crew for when you play the medium line, and buy a new 75% crew for the KV-1. Don't pick skills before retraining because extra % will go towards clearing the retraining penalty. Buy a Churchill 3 when it is on sale, throw the KV-1 crew on it and grind it to 100% in like fifteen games.

Repairs on both crew, except sixth sense on commander if you're lazy and don't want to retrain.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Had one of those "games of a life time" on my 50b. First half is super boring, but the clean up is amazing. It was down to just me and a super bad Leo Proto. Hands were shaking in the end, good poo poo.

Youtube Replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVrxJx59H6I

Fake Edit: 50b is amazing.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Hellsau posted:

Keep the T-28 crew for when you play the medium line, and buy a new 75% crew for the KV-1. Don't pick skills before retraining because extra % will go towards clearing the retraining penalty. Buy a Churchill 3 when it is on sale, throw the KV-1 crew on it and grind it to 100% in like fifteen games.

Repairs on both crew, except sixth sense on commander if you're lazy and don't want to retrain.

Okay, I should say I'm a free player :v:. I can't justify getting too invested in the game. I was planning at the very least on going with eliting the T-28, but I also have a T-50 and an M-3. Not sure if I'm taking the M-3 up the medium or heavy line in US, may go sherman and then bypass the T-1 on the tech tree in the short term.

VV Edit: Or maybe get the T-1 and the M4 later.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 5, 2015

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Blindeye posted:

may go sherman and then bypass the T-1 on the tech tree in the short term.

Don't do this if you're going for the heavy line. The T1 is a fine tank, leads to the M6 which gets you the 90mm, which you will absolutely need when starting the T29. The T29 with the 76mm is the biggest waste of a heavy tank in the game.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Rorac posted:

Don't do this if you're going for the heavy line. The T1 is a fine tank, leads to the M6 which gets you the 90mm, which you will absolutely need when starting the T29. The T29 with the 76mm is the biggest waste of a heavy tank in the game.

After, of course, the Caernarvon with the 17pdr, which I had to suffer through for a while.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

Fake Edit: 50b is amazing.

I like how the 50B has actually great armor since pubbie don't bother shooting the turret and autopenning, and instead bounce on the great front hull. Also it goes fast.

I free xped through the 50120 so the grind to it was also great. B1 easy matchmaking, 90 mm at tier 5, 105mm APCR, 105mm APCR, 50100, good tier 10. That's a nice progression where all the tanks have a big advantage going for it.

Blindeye posted:

Okay, I should say I'm a free player :v:. I can't justify getting too invested in the game. I was planning at the very least on going with eliting the T-28, but I also have a T-50 and an M-3. Not sure if I'm taking the M-3 up the medium or heavy line in US, may go sherman and then bypass the T-1 on the tech tree in the short term.

VV Edit: Or maybe get the T-1 and the M4 later.

Free is fine - you'll pick up gold here and there. You should have used an invite code, which would have gotten you at least some gold, and there's a monthly mission on NA where you can get a win in a tier 5 or higher for 10 gold three times a day. It only take 750 gold for a tier 5 pref on sale, and the Churchill 3 trains crews ludicrously fast due to an innate XP bonus, the usual premium tank XP bonus, and the usual premium tank crew XP bonus.

Always use credits for crew training though. IF you can't afford that many credits, play more - you need the practice anyway, and there's no sense rushing upwards. Once you get the KV-1, feel free to play that tank for like eight hundred games because it is fantastic and makes you credits that you will desperately need as a non-premium player.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 5, 2015

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Hellsau posted:

I like how the 50B has actually great armor since pubbie don't bother shooting the turret and autopenning, and instead bounce on the great front hull. Also it goes fast.

I free xped through the 50120 so the grind to it was also great. B1 easy matchmaking, 90 mm at tier 5, 105mm APCR, 105mm APCR, 50100, good tier 10. That's a nice progression where all the tanks have a big advantage going for it.

50 120 was a face grind. loving hated it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

50 120 was a face grind. loving hated it.

Hence why I free xped through it. In fact, I've free xped through the T95, WTpz4, 50120 and Lorraine.

I don't enjoy playing tier 9 tanks, so I'm sure as hell not playing through a bad one. Thank you WGA for making Skirmish tournaments pay out a laughable amount.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

BadLlama posted:

So compared to all the other tier 8 lights what is the WZ-132's thing? It seems pretty much worse in everything except for the really really amazing track traverse. I guess you are supposed to circle KV-4's and T34s to death?

I don't have any any T8 light tanks to compare it to, but I really enjoy the WZ-132... right up until the point I see another tier 7-8 light tank coming at me. I tend to think of it as a fast medium with no armor. I do better when I can engage at range as the top gun on the tank has a bit of extra pen and alpha. I can surprise some heavies that think I can't pen them. Shoot and scoot works really well, but if I have to get into a DPS race with another light that decides to get close then I'll lose pretty much every time unless they were severely damaged prior to finding me.

E: So in conclusion, it is the worst t8 light. I just happen to do well in it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

Had one of those "games of a life time" on my 50b. First half is super boring, but the clean up is amazing. It was down to just me and a super bad Leo Proto. Hands were shaking in the end, good poo poo.

Youtube Replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVrxJx59H6I

TIPICAL CAMPER COWARD FINALLY KILL.

PS: Sorry about the poop in your eye socket.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

McGavin posted:

TIPICAL CAMPER COWARD FINALLY KILL.

PS: Sorry about the poop in your eye.

I'm used to the pinkeye at this point.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
I liked the 50 120 :colbert:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

TracerM17 posted:

I don't have any any T8 light tanks to compare it to, but I really enjoy the WZ-132... right up until the point I see another tier 7-8 light tank coming at me. I tend to think of it as a fast medium with no armor. I do better when I can engage at range as the top gun on the tank has a bit of extra pen and alpha. I can surprise some heavies that think I can't pen them. Shoot and scoot works really well, but if I have to get into a DPS race with another light that decides to get close then I'll lose pretty much every time unless they were severely damaged prior to finding me.

E: So in conclusion, it is the worst t8 light. I just happen to do well in it.

The WZ-132 is really bad. It is worse than the RU-251 in every way - the extra track traverse and better ground resistance is offset by the HP/t difference. Here, check out the stat comparison:

http://tank-compare.com/en/compare/spahpanzer-ru-251/wz-132#T1=536I436I161I645I238&T2=460I361I315I562I203

The guns are just so much vastly worse on the WZ-132 that it's ridiculous once you've played the RU-251 and get to experience actual pen and DPM. Now, the WZ-132 does get a nice profile (which doesn't work well with the non-existant gun depression) so you'd think it'd get good camo, right?

hahaha it has slightly better camo than the goddamn T49

primelaw posted:

Proof it's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

primelaw posted:

I'm looking at it and not really seeing why it's terrible compared to the 50 100 or the 50B :iiam:

It has an autoloader that vomits damage and the pen to deliver it, that alone is enough to make a tank at least decent. I mean yeah being in tier 10 games is pretty lame, but you've easily got the gun to curbstomp tier 10s.