Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I think I'd keep using my company supplies EliteBook to be honest - it has a crummy display but I care more about the keyboard/trackpoint/trackpad and being able to use a real dock than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

dissss posted:

I think I'd keep using my company supplies EliteBook to be honest - it has a crummy display but I care more about the keyboard/trackpoint/trackpad and being able to use a real dock than anything else.

I feel you. We bought a bunch of Lenovo X1 Carbons for all the important people, but nobody can stand them because of the terrible trackpad. They now sit in the storage room. The T440s is slightly better, but still a pain.

I have our only pre-carbon X1, that I cling to for dear life. It may only have a 1366x768 screen, but everything else about it is perfect. Light, great battery and a decent SSD. It's from 2011 but I gladly keep it over the new models coming out.

e: Oh yeah and despite being so thin it still had an Ethernet port, which is important to me as a network engineer.

less than three fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 5, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah my 820 G1 is slim enough for my usage, but still fits in VGA and Ethernet fine. Also has actual buttons for the trackpoint AND trackpad and a WWAN card.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

dissss posted:

Yeah my 820 G1 is slim enough for my usage, but still fits in VGA and Ethernet fine. Also has actual buttons for the trackpoint AND trackpad and a WWAN card.

The only downside is my laptop gets swiped frequently because it's the only one that has HDMI output so is easily plugged into TVs for presentations. Lenovo needs to give up on DisplayPort already. :argh:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

less than three posted:

The only downside is my laptop gets swiped frequently because it's the only one that has HDMI output so is easily plugged into TVs for presentations. Lenovo needs to give up on DisplayPort already. :argh:

Oh hell no. I'd find a lovely loaner and superglue a displayport to hdmi adapter into it before I started letting people walk off with my laptop, especially for presentations, also known as "russian roulette with coffee cups".

People already treat their own property like poo poo, let alone other people's property.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

less than three posted:

Mini-DP to hdmi adapters cost $20, buy some already.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I just found out the service account for one of our SQL Server instances is in the Domain Admins group. :stonk:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Wibla posted:

Mini-DP to hdmi adapters cost $20, buy some already.

People just take them then. Better off having a DisplayPort to HDMI cable permanently attached to the TV (preferably routed somewhere it absolutly can't be stolen)

Anyway to add to poo poo pissing me off - old Polycom VC equipment that only accepts VGA signals and only at 1024*768. Sure looks great on a 1080p TV...

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

dissss posted:

People just take them then. Better off having a DisplayPort to HDMI cable permanently attached to the TV (preferably routed somewhere it absolutly can't be stolen)

Anyway to add to poo poo pissing me off - old Polycom VC equipment that only accepts VGA signals and only at 1024*768. Sure looks great on a 1080p TV...

This is a thing I'm an annoying harp on at work. Every loving projector is from the 90s it seems like and I keep bringing in applications I develop at resolutions people can actually read.

People are starting to wise up, but only in the new conference rooms.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
We have the complete opposite with projectors. I am at a pretty high elevation. Thin air doesn't allow them to cool properly. We have been buying ones that have a "high altitude" setting (aka blast the fan). Our lifespan seems to be about a year. Bulbs explode all the time and just destroy the projectors.

I have been pushing for (with some success) adding large LCDs to conference rooms.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Moey posted:

We have the complete opposite with projectors. I am at a pretty high elevation. Thin air doesn't allow them to cool properly. We have been buying ones that have a "high altitude" setting (aka blast the fan). Our lifespan seems to be about a year. Bulbs explode all the time and just destroy the projectors.

I have been pushing for (with some success) adding large LCDs to conference rooms.

The new normal here is a conference room with 1-3 LCDs and a projector controlled by an ipad.

I don't mind this when it's full wall coverage they provide, actually.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Last place I left tried to say I should've talked to them about leaving and that they would have tried "to work something out". When I told them I was leaving for an extra $15k they said they would have never been able to match that, they also couldnt promise any promotions or job title changes or any change in the type of work. Talk is cheap basically.

Ehhh, it depends. My manager and I have a pretty good working relationship and while I'd never tell him if I was looking elsewhere, I'd at least give him a chance to counter the offer from another company prior to giving formal notice. I know he would at least try to make a competitive offer, unless it was completely out of their budget.

Edit: Although doing that, and accepting your current employer's counter offer, will potentially put you on the poo poo list for layoffs unless you're very valuable to the company.

Spazz fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 5, 2015

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I love the first part of that policy because of the second part of that policy, and that it is actually enforced. I've worked in a "Do whatever you want... no that's the entire policy" shop, and it's not hard to imagine a "Do whatever you want, if you gently caress it up... someone will spend days of their life trying to please you."

But aside from some baseline restrictions of course around required-AV, Group Policy, and SCCM deployments, I've got no problem with an end user running anything they want. I imagine if I put more thought into this post I'd have a list of 20 or 30 apps I don't want to see anywhere for any reason, but this discussion was originally borne out of Chrome vs IE, and my answer is "sure".

See what happens when a company does something amazing, like hire adults?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Spazz posted:

Ehhh, it depends. My manager and I have a pretty good working relationship and while I'd never tell him if I was looking elsewhere, I'd at least give him a chance to counter the offer from another company prior to giving formal notice. I know he would at least try to make a competitive offer, unless it was completely out of their budget.

Edit: Although doing that, and accepting your current employer's counter offer, will potentially put you on the poo poo list for layoffs unless you're very valuable to the company.

It puts you on that list for two reasons: you may come back with leverage after they cut someone else, and because you're likely the lowest surplus employee after receiving a raise.

Basically getting high wages can put a target on you, so one route to job security is accepting below market wage. If you're crazy valuable in the market, you can pursue high wages without much risk, but if you're always targetting wages in the upper standard deviations, you either need to be great or willing to accept volatility.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

MJBuddy posted:

It puts you on that list for two reasons: you may come back with leverage after they cut someone else, and because you're likely the lowest surplus employee after receiving a raise.

Basically getting high wages can put a target on you, so one route to job security is accepting below market wage. If you're crazy valuable in the market, you can pursue high wages without much risk, but if you're always targetting wages in the upper standard deviations, you either need to be great or willing to accept volatility.

I dunno if I'm just naive, but that sounds insanely defeatist and kinda along the lines of "Web devs should accept jobs for experience" in terms of advice.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Neito posted:

I dunno if I'm just naive, but that sounds insanely defeatist and kinda along the lines of "Web devs should accept jobs for experience" in terms of advice.

It means you should have an emergency fund if you job hop or leverage offers into raises.

It's not a train of thought, so it's not defeatist at all. Just reality of markets.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Moey posted:

And how often are people just unplugging them because "the fan was too loud"?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
so far our customers are loving the outsourcing.

Just had a customer on a call announce their intention to cancel the contract, and I quote, "Because of all the 'CAN I BE TO HELPING YOU PLEASE?' bull going on down there right now.'"

In other news, the network engineers over there apparently just learned that firewalls are not the only reason why traffic from one destination to another will not work. They've been returning my requests to fix an issue with "This traffic is already allowed in firewall. request closed!" for over a month. I finally got someone to check some routers and found a misconfigured route.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

good jovi posted:

Our users are actually good with them and allow them to properly cool down when finished (this surprised the hell out of me). Projectors are apparently not made for thin air.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

good jovi posted:

When all they have to do to properly turn off the projector is use the correct keypress sequence:

(↑) (↑) (↓) (↓) (←) (→) (←) (→) (B) (A) (START)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

spog posted:

When all they have to do to properly turn off the projector is use the correct keypress sequence:

(↑) (↑) (↓) (↓) (←) (→) (←) (→) (B) (A) (START)
You forgot SELECT.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Anyone tired of hearing me talk about how great working from home is?

"Company policy" if you work from home and are assertive enough, is anything you want to do. This, I love.

But how do you deal with the masturbation?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ynglaur posted:

You forgot SELECT.

That's for all projectors on the subnet. Obviously if your projector is alone or not on the intranet [SELECT] doesn't do much.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ACT is garbage.

We have two separate databases in ACT, we use their hosted product. Company1 and Company2. Every once in a while, you'll look at the notes for a customer in Company1 and it will have notes that belong to a different customer that's actually in Company2's database. They don't even share any users.

HOW DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MJBuddy posted:

This isn't you, is it? https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/345uqx/i_lowball_employers_for_my_salary_bad_idea/

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

I like the part where he says that people in his line of work are generally overpaid.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

That thread seems like he posted it just to brag about working for pennies. Almost everyone disagreed with him, but he has to argue and counter that he's so skilled/smart.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

theperminator posted:

I'm tired all the time.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

That thread seems like he posted it just to brag about working for pennies. Almost everyone disagreed with him, but he has to argue and counter that he's so skilled/smart.

It's the stupidest strategy I've seen for landing jobs. In our case we'd pass on hiring him because it's a clear indicator he either is unaware of or disinterested in the market value of the skill set we are looking for, is absolutely desperate for a job, or doesn't have the skill set we are looking for and thinks paying less will make up for it. The unawareness/disinterest, I've found, tends to lead to unmotivated employees. The desperation for a job can be understandable, but it also gives a vibe of "willing to promise anything to get a job". The last one speaks for itself.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

theperminator posted:

Vigorously ! :haw:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

ACT is garbage.

We have two separate databases in ACT, we use their hosted product. Company1 and Company2. Every once in a while, you'll look at the notes for a customer in Company1 and it will have notes that belong to a different customer that's actually in Company2's database. They don't even share any users.

ACT is, and always has been utter garbage. In all of its forms since its inception.

I am not sure if ACT or Quickbooks is the champion of being a completely lovely product that people are married to due to simple inertia.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^^ This too. If anybody has some alternatives, we are looking into options right now, so PM away.

Bob Morales posted:

ACT is garbage.

The ACT client is garbage, and will happily show unrelated cached data. View -> Refresh should clear it up.

If it sticks beyond that, it might also be a more subtle instance of ACT re-using a ContactID. It won't happen within the same database, but the algorithm that generates them is not very random, so duplication is completely possible, though admittedly unlikely. N

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Hell no. I very much enjoyed my 40% raise and aggressive negotiation last year. Complete with my angrily responding to HR that she needed to stop quoting me average salaries for my title since I wouldn't be talking to her if I was "average".

E: Specifically I presented that there was a market adjustment for my skillset and available funds from projects I brought in almost exclusively through my work and that we were going to hire someone else anyway to spend the funds, so may as well give it to me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

less than three posted:

I feel you. We bought a bunch of Lenovo X1 Carbons for all the important people, but nobody can stand them because of the terrible trackpad.

The guy here has been buying Lenovos and a bunch of them are those X1 Carbons. That touchpad is a goddamn abomination.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AlternateAccount posted:

ACT is, and always has been utter garbage. In all of its forms since its inception.

Sage made it, so yeah.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dick Trauma posted:

The guy here has been buying Lenovos and a bunch of them are those X1 Carbons. That touchpad is a goddamn abomination.

If you use them like you would the surface of a smartphone/tablet, they're alright.

I'm not defending them - it's stupid to go against convention for no good reason like they did - but if you get used to them they're kind of alright.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Are the next generation Thinkpads ditching that style of trackpad? I'm thinking of getting a new laptop and was looking at the T440 but I do hate the trackpad. My old work laptop a W540 had the same type and it really did suck to work with, even after you got used to it. I'm considering waiting for the new Thinkpad models or going with an HP Elitebook or something else entirely.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Microsoft's Azure management interface is impressively slow and broken. Today backups completely fail to configure using Safari and creating a support ticket in Chrome is broken.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

We have a few Thinkpad Edges which have a touchpad like this and they're terrible. The only way I know to right-click is clicking in on the bottom right (not just tapping). You'd think the two red lines would represent the left and right buttons but they don't. And I pity the poor soul who wants to use the nub with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Are the next generation Thinkpads ditching that style of trackpad? I'm thinking of getting a new laptop and was looking at the T440 but I do hate the trackpad. My old work laptop a W540 had the same type and it really did suck to work with, even after you got used to it. I'm considering waiting for the new Thinkpad models or going with an HP Elitebook or something else entirely.

Yes, we've gotten a few T450s' in (I mean multiple of the T450s model, not the T450) and they have a trackpad with buttons, essentially the old (pre 2013?) style. Early reports are that it's about as good as what the T420/430 had, i.e. they've worked hard for two years to get back to where they already were.