Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I had never thought of that. I think. ill go out and get a spare tray.

Or go buy a bunch of cheeses and stretch your palate. Or make red sauce. Or coq au vin. Or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

My local Asian mart has just changed manager/owner and has somehow become even more magical. Produce is cheaper, and variety of meats has increased.

I'm not first in line to buy the newly available pig uterus :stare:, but I gotta say the cheap prices on beef bones made me cock an eyebrow in interest. Always wanted to try an osso bucco, or something akin to that.

Is there a certain "cut" of bones I need to enjoy beef marrow, or can I get it from whatever these mystery label ("OX BONE") packages are? They're hunks of bone a couple inches long, with stuff inside. Seems like the right thing to me, but thought I'd check GWS first.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My local Asian mart has just changed manager/owner and has somehow become even more magical. Produce is cheaper, and variety of meats has increased.

I'm not first in line to buy the newly available pig uterus :stare:, but I gotta say the cheap prices on beef bones made me cock an eyebrow in interest. Always wanted to try an osso bucco, or something akin to that.

Is there a certain "cut" of bones I need to enjoy beef marrow, or can I get it from whatever these mystery label ("OX BONE") packages are? They're hunks of bone a couple inches long, with stuff inside. Seems like the right thing to me, but thought I'd check GWS first.

Those sound like beef shank bone segments. Roast them under very high heat on a grate, catch the drippings (rendered marrow :circlefap:) and turn the bones into stock.

Or you can just roast them and spoon out the marrow.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 3, 2015

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
For braised or other long cook time dishes like stews: When do you put mushrooms in? I know the mirepoix goes in with the meat, and things like peas or potatoes go in 30-45 minutes before the dish is done. But do you put mushrooms in with the mirepoix, or later on with the other veggies?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DaveSauce posted:

For braised or other long cook time dishes like stews: When do you put mushrooms in? I know the mirepoix goes in with the meat, and things like peas or potatoes go in 30-45 minutes before the dish is done. But do you put mushrooms in with the mirepoix, or later on with the other veggies?

Mushrooms are super durable and give great flavor to your sauce and meat so like to toss them in early.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Mushrooms are super durable and give great flavor to your sauce and meat so like to toss them in early.

That's what I thought, I just wasn't sure....a lot of recipes have them added in later on, but I couldn't see why. I'm kind of winging it with some marinated beef tips from the meat shop. I figure braising them and dumping them on top of egg noodles can't go wrong.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone have a recipe for sweeter baked beans? Like the Heinz ones literally every fourth of July party has, but not lovely.

Also, I bought a pork shoulder. It is huge. How do I cut this up? Multiple passes with a chef's knife? I don't have a meat cleaver.

Also, saw that chicken thigh quarters are 99 cents a pound. Roughly how much of the weight on one of those is the bone?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone have a recipe for sweeter baked beans? Like the Heinz ones literally every fourth of July party has, but not lovely.

Also, I bought a pork shoulder. It is huge. How do I cut this up? Multiple passes with a chef's knife? I don't have a meat cleaver.

Also, saw that chicken thigh quarters are 99 cents a pound. Roughly how much of the weight on one of those is the bone?
A meat cleaver I've only ever used to bash bone, and for something like this I'd propose you trim around it to get your meat, rather than cut through it. I suggest you watch this, maybe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FQ61QZM9Gg

I'm guessing here, but I'm gonna throw out that thighs are probably 65% meat uncooked by weight, drumsticks maybe around 50%, wings maybe 30%-40%. As much as I cook chicken I've never thought to weigh the respective bits and bobs.

I don't have a recipe, but I know my grandpa used pineapple juice in his baked beans and no sugar, and they came out nicely sweet. Try substituting in some juice to whatever recipe you use normally.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 3, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, I'll try all of that advice. Someone in the Pot Beans thread suggested a recipe for the beans. I think I'll try that recipe, and then try it with pineapple juice the next time I make it.

I'm going to be eating a lot of cheap meat and beans for the foreseeable future.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
How long does home-made buttercream stay stable and good in the fridge? I'm making my own birthday cake and need to do that and a few other foods for my party ahead.

Making myself a chocolate cake with peanut butter butter cream, topped with chopped nuts and oreos.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

How long does home-made buttercream stay stable and good in the fridge? I'm making my own birthday cake and need to do that and a few other foods for my party ahead.

Making myself a chocolate cake with peanut butter butter cream, topped with chopped nuts and oreos.

Throw it in the freezer and you'll be good for up to three months as long as it's tightly wrapped. It won't go bad, but the taste will start to suffer if you go longer than that. Leave it in the fridge overnight and beat it back together when you want to use it

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I bought too much ricotta when I made a lasagna a week or two ago and I have about a pound sitting in my fridge. Any recommendations on how best to go through this? Related, is it ricotta or marscapone that gets used in cannoli?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks, I'll try all of that advice. Someone in the Pot Beans thread suggested a recipe for the beans. I think I'll try that recipe, and then try it with pineapple juice the next time I make it.

I'm going to be eating a lot of cheap meat and beans for the foreseeable future.

If you're eating on the cheap, don't forget to use those thigh bones for stock! Then you're not wasting anything, and free stock makes everything better, especially when you're eating a lot of rice, lentils, etc.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

CzarChasm posted:

I bought too much ricotta when I made a lasagna a week or two ago and I have about a pound sitting in my fridge. Any recommendations on how best to go through this? Related, is it ricotta or marscapone that gets used in cannoli?

It's marscapone that is used for cannoli. As for your ricotta, what about a calzone?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is it common for skirt steak to be sold with all of the silverskin still attached, or are the supermarket butchers just lazy about it? I'd love to to go to a real butcher, but distance and price are kind of prohibitive. It just sucks because it's ridiculous enough that skirt / flank steak is like $9 a pound, and it's even worse when a fourth of that weight is fatty silverskin. I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper to go to a real butcher for it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

CzarChasm posted:

Make all the gnocchi.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

canoshiz posted:

Question -- I've got a pot of chili in the oven now and I'd like to simmer it for a few hours. I initially had the oven set to 250 degrees, but when I took a peek with the lid off after the oven was at temperature for a while, the chili wasn't visibly simmering. Should I bump up the temperature? Maybe remove the lid? I currently have it set to 290 degrees.

Probably not as helpful three days later, but I'd bring the chili (or whatever) up to a simmer first on the stove, then into a 350 degree (at least) oven.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I am dumb with alcohol. People say to buy cheapo wines when it comes to cooking so today I went and got the literally the cheapest one I could find: a $4 Cabernet Sauvignon. I want to make beef stew with it, but don't know a Chianti from my rear end. My question is can I make a good stew with what I bought, or did I hypothetically ruin it? What should I get in the future?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

kinmik posted:

I am dumb with alcohol. People say to buy cheapo wines when it comes to cooking so today I went and got the literally the cheapest one I could find: a $4 Cabernet Sauvignon. I want to make beef stew with it, but don't know a Chianti from my rear end. My question is can I make a good stew with what I bought, or did I hypothetically ruin it? What should I get in the future?

It'll probably be fine

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
People say you shouldn't cook with wins you wouldn't drink by itself, but honestly I usually just buy 3 buck chuck from Trader Joes for cooking purposes. It's cheap and some people drink it!

I doubt you'll ruin your stew with a cheap cab. It might not be he world's absolute best stew either but you can adjust moving forward.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It'll be totally okay.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
A majority of restaurants use Peter Vella or Franzia in the kitchen. It's inexpensive, and box wine lasts longer/is safer than glass in the kitchen. If you do a fair amount of cooking with wine, think about a box.

e: Also goes to show that your wine should be just fine. Most of the nuance is going to get cooked out anyway.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The stew will definitely be fine. There is absolutely no need to use expensive wine in cooking.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/21/dining/21cook.html

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 4, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Turkeybone posted:

A majority of restaurants use Peter Vella or Franzia in the kitchen. It's inexpensive, and box wine lasts longer/is safer than glass in the kitchen. If you do a fair amount of cooking with wine, think about a box.

e: Also goes to show that your wine should be just fine. Most of the nuance is going to get cooked out anyway.

Yeah, I've become a pretty devoted fan of bota box for this purpose and for drinking

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
The best and cheapest wine is the stuff you make yourself so you know get on that I guess

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Adult Sword Owner posted:

The best and cheapest wine is the stuff you make yourself so you know get on that I guess

Take ten peeled oranges,
Jarvis Masters, it is the judgment and sentence of this court,
one 8 oz. bowl of fruit cocktail,
that the charged information was true,
squeeze the fruit into a small plastic bag,
and the jury having previously, on said date,
and put the juice along with the mash inside,
found that the penalty shall be death,
add 16 oz. of water and seal the bag tightly.
and this Court having, on August 20, 1991,
Place the bag into your sink,
denied your motion for a new trial,
and heat it with hot running water for 15 minutes.
it is the order of this Court that you suffer death,
wrap towels around the bag to keep it warm for fermentation.
said penalty to be inflicted within the walls of San Quentin,
Stash the bag in your cell undisturbed for 48 hours.
at which place you shall be put to death,
When the time has elapsed,
in the manner prescribed by law,
add 40 to 60 cubes of white sugar,
the date later to be fixed by the Court in warrant of execution.
six teaspoons of ketchup,
You are remanded to the custody of the warden of San Quentin,
then heat again for 30 minutes,
to be held by him pending final
secure the bag as done before,
determination of your appeal.
then stash the bag undisturbed again for 72 hours.
It is so ordered.
Reheat daily for 15 minutes.
In witness whereof,
After 72 hours,
I have hereon set my hand as Judge of this Superior Court,
with a spoon, skim off the mash,
and I have caused the seal of this Court to be affixed thereto.
pour the remaining portion into two 18 oz. cups.
May God have mercy on your soul.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Take ten peeled oranges,
It is so ordered.
In witness whereof,
After 72 hours,

:vince: awesome

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Hey wow thanks for all the answers, I feel better about not making a horrible thing. However, I don't drink so the don't eat what you wouldn't drink concept is a little moot. :cheeky: Much appreciated!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Take ten peeled oranges,
It is so ordered.
In witness whereof,
After 72 hours,
:stare: Hey. Wow. Thanks.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I made a bunch of basic lamb stock this weekend (roasted lamb bones, onions and some carrot) and I'm thinking of usinfg som of it for some kind of noodle soup. Any suggestions what I've could use to season it with. I'm thinking star aniseed, fish sauce and some dried shitake mushrooms to start, but I guess I'll need a fair bit more to make it delicious. Maybe some sesame oil?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Use wine from a box for cooking. It's cheap by volume, and the bag that it comes in has a pour spout. You can take what you need without exposing the leftover to any air so storage works out fairly well.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was considering that yesterday, actually. The guy at the store recommended a pinot noir for beef, though. Would a cab sauv or merlot work as well? Same question for chicken, I'm done buying beef for non-special occasions for a while. Too expensive.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I find that when doing a braise/stew, the long cook times kinda kill any sort of nuances the individual style of wine has. I would grab the varietal you want to drink with the stew, then cook with it too.

For cooking I avoid cheap pinot noirs and tend to lean towards Spanish/Chilean/Argentinian blends or Syrahs lately. There's a lot of cheap, good stuff out of the lesser known areas of California, Washington and Oregon lately too.

Edit: anyone have a good source of Hmong or Persian recipes?

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 5, 2015

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

On the cooking-with-wine tip:

I'm broke as gently caress, but I have a decent SNAP (food stamps) account, being unemployed and all. SNAP covers cooking wine, but not real wine, as the former is sold as "NOT A BEVERAGE". I know cooking wine is horrible no-no poo poo and has a fuckton of salt in it, but I can work around that part. Am I a terrible person for buying cooking wine in this time of need? Years of Cooks Illustrated has taught me that alcohol breaks down/adds to certain flavors that fats or water won't, so I really want to use it for a splash in some sauces, sodium be damned (I'll just not add extra salt, problem solved...?), just for the chemistry.

Essentially, I want GWS to hold my hand and say, "it's okay, JD, that dash of cooking sherry in your sauteed mushrooms isn't going to send you to culinary hell, we understand."

That said: yeah, some 3 buck Chuck, or even Barefoot from 7-11 does the job just fine in a pinch when it comes to cooking, no one will know the difference in a stew. Don't feel like you need a $10 bottle to make a stew, unless you really want to drink the bottle with dinner. And even at that, there's some mighty palatable sub-$10 bottles out there, such as Chuck.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

JacquelineDempsey posted:

On the cooking-with-wine tip:
Make do with what you have. If you like the flavors, go for it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:barf: Don't use cooking wine. Deglaze with literally anything else. Use a splash of red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar and some stock or water instead. :barf:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Hey American goons, is dipping pizza in weird poo poo actually a thing? Because I'm watching the NBA playoffs and they keep showing me this really confusing commercial.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yes

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Yep. I once had pizza with beef au jus. It was alright.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Pizza dipped in ranch is popular in the midwest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Mr. Wookums posted:

Pizza dipped in ranch is popular in the midwest.

And Albuquerque... Which surprised me