Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Rearmed 2 would have been better if the last few levels were anything but blind jumps.

I didn't even finish BC:R2. I got bored halfway through. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I'm replaying GTA V on current gen and forgot how tedious that Trevor mission at the shipyard is. The most unhinged character in the game inexplicably decides that maintaining cover is really important, so you get to work an actual job after getting bossed around by people who in other missions he would probably have killed.

You move some container shippers around in a slow truck, then do it again on an equally slow crane, take some pictures, and then drive elsewhere in a big rig in which the game doesn't allow you to detach the load off (which makes you faster and is more manageable to drive) for some reason. Gripping gameplay only rivaled by the equally baffling and tedious vehicle repossession missions.

Also it took me about 10 tries to actually get off the crane because the pathway is so narrow that just trying to get past the ladder makes you start climbing it again.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I keep almost buying GTA V but something keeps telling me not too. I don't know what it is but I have a very strange reticence in purchasing it. Perhaps because I worry I will just goof off in it and quickly lose interest.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

ZeusCannon posted:

I keep almost buying GTA V but something keeps telling me not too. I don't know what it is but I have a very strange reticence in purchasing it. Perhaps because I worry I will just goof off in it and quickly lose interest.
I keep thinking of buying the PC version even though I have the game on PS4 already and don't even like it all that much. Online is fun to screw around in, but I don't really care for the story mode. But if got the PC version, I could play it at 60 fps and put in my own music! :downs:

Fortunately, it's so expensive on Steam that I'm not likely to bother anytime soon.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

You are all missing out on the definitive GTAV experience on the superior gaming platform. :smug:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Or you could just play San Andreas.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I was just playing GTAIII on my OG xbox the other day and kept thinking how much more fun I was having with that game than I ever did with GTAV. Maybe it's my nostalgia speaking, but I like how relatively simplistic the PS2-era GTAs were.

Thing dragging GTAIII down: my old save has 99 hidden packages collected. :eng99:

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 03:14 on May 5, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

im pooping! posted:

The more fun part is where you forget that you can flirt with yeoman Chambers through the whole game but if you invite her to dinner, you still have the choice to not sleep with her so you can still be faithful to whoever you want. If you forget that little nugget, Chambers won't offer to feed your fish and you lose out on a +5% bonus in Mass Effect 3 because save editors will mark Kelly keeping your fish as you cheated on your Mass Effect 2 girl/boyfriend. And you figure this out like 6 hours into your Mass Effect 3 file and the only thing you can do is replay Mass Effect 2. And probe planets again.

Oh no not 5%!

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

ZeusCannon posted:

I bought it, and ended up really not liking it much at all. I never actually bought four, but five felt like non stop South Park moralizing between attempts at being witty and self aware. Also, the whole heist fiasco dragged the whole thing down.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yea that's why i have held off. I remember liking IV but ill be damned if i can remember why.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

[GTA] five felt like non stop South Park moralizing between attempts at being witty and self aware.

GTA is kind of in a tough place tonally. Part of what made the early GTAs (pretty much everything prior to 4, I guess) is the satire and self-awareness. Only, the satire is super loving irrelevant and juvenile. And that's fine, because the top-down GTAs are skin deep arcadey games and GTA3 was just the same in a 3D shell, and so the gameplay and story matched the tone. Claude can rob an armored car called Gruppe Sechs with a bazooka and it all fits in together because that's the world he lives in. But now you have characters that are actually... kind of well written, and a story that's more grounded in reality, and so you have Michael super depressed about how his family hates him and moves out because he can't control his temper while he's drinking a Pisswater beer and a dude on TV talks about how proud he is that Life Invader has the largest contingent of child laborers in the market.

I think GTA would just be better off taking itself all the way seriously, only because there's so much effort put into the game. Like, a really believable and detailed city with tons of little touches, a massive world map, tons of missions and a variety of minigames and all this stuff that's actually done mostly competently and professionally. Painting it all over with really shallow sex jokes and the laziest loving satire ever is just bizarre.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

RyokoTK posted:

GTA is kind of in a tough place tonally. Part of what made the early GTAs (pretty much everything prior to 4, I guess) is the satire and self-awareness. Only, the satire is super loving irrelevant and juvenile. And that's fine, because the top-down GTAs are skin deep arcadey games and GTA3 was just the same in a 3D shell, and so the gameplay and story matched the tone. Claude can rob an armored car called Gruppe Sechs with a bazooka and it all fits in together because that's the world he lives in. But now you have characters that are actually... kind of well written, and a story that's more grounded in reality, and so you have Michael super depressed about how his family hates him and moves out because he can't control his temper while he's drinking a Pisswater beer and a dude on TV talks about how proud he is that Life Invader has the largest contingent of child laborers in the market.

I think GTA would just be better off taking itself all the way seriously, only because there's so much effort put into the game. Like, a really believable and detailed city with tons of little touches, a massive world map, tons of missions and a variety of minigames and all this stuff that's actually done mostly competently and professionally. Painting it all over with really shallow sex jokes and the laziest loving satire ever is just bizarre.

GTA became such a huge success by being completely insane and hilariously off the wall, but yeah, I think GTA would fare better by doing something entirely straight-faced. Their competition now is just so much better at and more committed to being the sort of fun and silly that let the early GTAs excel, there's really just nothing GTA is willing to offer that Saint's Row, Just Cause, Sleeping Dogs or whatnot can't already beat them at. Go the other way and focus on the gritty realism, and they're up against... what, Watch_Dogs and that's about it?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Didn't they try that with GTA4 and nobody liked it?

The problem I had with GTA5 is that the satire and political commentary was delivered with the same subtlety as a kick to my dick.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I guess I should have seen it coming, but the last boss of Outland is absolutely a bullet hell, and I hate it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Leal posted:

Didn't they try that with GTA4 and nobody liked it?

The problem I had with GTA5 is that the satire and political commentary was delivered with the same subtlety as a kick to my dick.

GTA4 still had the wild and wacky world outside of the main plot.
Heartstopper burgers, pisswasser and all.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Sleeveless posted:

It's actually kind of brilliant.

Intentional or no, the original Bionic Commando was 80s video game stories personified: are you a bad enough dude to kill Hitler with your robot arm?

Bionic Commando '09 does the same thing by taking the basic premise of a man with a grappling hook for an arm and filling it with all the grim brooding self-seriousness of the Gears of War era, right down to the dead wife.

So you're saying it was trying to do a Blood Dragon, but failed Poe's Law?

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...
Dragon Age: Inquisition

Why are my allies so awful? I want so bad to try and enjoy this game or at least complete it but I can't stand the AI. I bought the game after my friends who played it for 300+ hours suggested it to me and it's just an awful game.

Varic stands there and just shoots, even when in melee range. So I decide maybe if I give him caltrops he'll use those and fall back with an advantage. Nope. Throws caltrops down and stands in them as a guy pounds on him.

Same with Mr.Clean or whatever that boring elf's name is. And the Robotic Russian Fembot woman is the worst tank ever. She run off randomly to attack stuff not even engaged to my party while we are fighting still killing the last group of monsters. They feel like horrible Guild Wars 1 companions with random skills placed on their hot bars. What happened to the Gambit system or whatever that Origins had? That was so loving good and I rarely ever had to babysit my team mates as much as I do in Inquisition. I feel like I am playing and MMO doing content with players who have never played an MMO and I have to remind them incessantly how to play.

They also rarely ever drink potions and pausing a fight every ten seconds to distribute potions is awfully boring. I have then set to drink at 50% and there are times I've watched them sit there at 25% spamming attacks instead. I set t to 75% and I run out of potions in a heartbeat.

I also had just killed a group of monsters and was looting stuff when I realized my allies had vanished. What the hell? Turns out they decided to take off running to kill that bandit King or whatever half a mile away without my consent. So I stormed after them, totally unprepared for a battle, and nearly died. Thanks guys!

I gave up last night when I told myself "If I get ONE more quest off a dead body I am turning this poo poo off..."

Oh hey a quest ahead maybe some guy will hand over a... Oh it's a dead body with another note... *turns off PS4*

gently caress this game. Origins was way better than this and I'd rather play through the Fade twice over than the Hinterlands once. Yeah I said it.:colbert:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

ZeusCannon posted:

It's actually my favourite GTA and I really didn't expect that at all, it's much more fun than 4 but not quite as 'LOL AREA 69, GEDDIT???' as San Andreas (granted, BAWSAQ among others are in there, hur hur). 5>3>SA>LCS>EFLC>VC>4 for me. It's really a matter of opinion but I think it's worth a go and it's certainly more fun than 4.

The writing I do agree is a bit off and I can't quite but my finger on it. It's all a bit...
"Hey, Facebook is a thing, let's have something called Lifeinvader that's Facebook but more, that's satire!"
"Hey, Call of Duty is a thing, let's have a game called Righteous Slaughter 7 that's like Call of Duty but more, that's satire!"

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Red Dead Redemption proved that Rockstar can write a serious, mature, and sincere story if they want to. Even that had a lot of immature humor, but you had to look for it and the setting required them to be a lot more creative with how it was implemented.

Someone mentioned in an earlier incarnation of the thread that the lack of a radio played an enormous part in that. Without it, there's no place to put the really obvious stuff, so they're forced to pick their shots through character dialogue and more subtle environmental cues.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I guess I wouldn't want GTA to be 100% serious grimdark, if only because then you wouldn't have Lamar melting down about not being employee of the month. Big dog! Big nuts!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

Someone mentioned in an earlier incarnation of the thread that the lack of a radio played an enormous part in that. Without it, there's no place to put the really obvious stuff, so they're forced to pick their shots through character dialogue and more subtle environmental cues.

That was me. The fact is that RDR really does have about the same amount of "social commentary" as GTA, the critical difference is that it gets fewer chances to deliver it. The entire opening sequence is a five minute parade of "hurr hurr people sure were stupid in the old days; here's a preacher who doesn't believe in flight even though hot air balloons have existed for a hundred years derp". And the newspapers and watchable movies are more of that. But you have to seek those out.

RyokoTK posted:

I guess I wouldn't want GTA to be 100% serious grimdark, if only because then you wouldn't have Lamar melting down about not being employee of the month. Big dog! Big nuts!

GTA doesn't need to go grimdark, it just needs to stop trying to make "cutting social commentary". You can have an irreverent tone without acting like you're saying something of substance. A modern GTA with a fun sensibility, without lovely satire or the go-for-broke excess of SR, would probably feel like Trailer Park Boys.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'd play the hell out of a Trailer Park Boys style GTA.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DStecks posted:

That was me. The fact is that RDR really does have about the same amount of "social commentary" as GTA, the critical difference is that it gets fewer chances to deliver it. The entire opening sequence is a five minute parade of "hurr hurr people sure were stupid in the old days; here's a preacher who doesn't believe in flight even though hot air balloons have existed for a hundred years derp". And the newspapers and watchable movies are more of that. But you have to seek those out.

GTA doesn't need to go grimdark, it just needs to stop trying to make "cutting social commentary". You can have an irreverent tone without acting like you're saying something of substance. A modern GTA with a fun sensibility, without lovely satire or the go-for-broke excess of SR, would probably feel like Trailer Park Boys.

On that note, am I alone in finding that GTA V was just pretty drat unfunny for long stretches? It seemed like 90% of the time it was just a matter of plopping down lazy caricatures and have them go through tired old cliches. Boy, that yoga instructor sure buys into pseudomysticism. Yup, the federal police certainly is corrupt. It just felt completely uninspired with no wit or bite to it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

RyokoTK posted:

I'd play the hell out of a Trailer Park Boys style GTA.

Would the controls be sufficiently gimped to accurately re-create the experience of driving while holding a rum and coke?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Perestroika posted:

On that note, am I alone in finding that GTA V was just pretty drat unfunny for long stretches? It seemed like 90% of the time it was just a matter of plopping down lazy caricatures and have them go through tired old cliches. Boy, that yoga instructor sure buys into pseudomysticism. Yup, the federal police certainly is corrupt. It just felt completely uninspired with no wit or bite to it.

Welcome to Grand Theft Auto

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Hunky Joe posted:

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Why are my allies so awful? I want so bad to try and enjoy this game or at least complete it but I can't stand the AI. I bought the game after my friends who played it for 300+ hours suggested it to me and it's just an awful game.

Varic stands there and just shoots, even when in melee range. So I decide maybe if I give him caltrops he'll use those and fall back with an advantage. Nope. Throws caltrops down and stands in them as a guy pounds on him.

Same with Mr.Clean or whatever that boring elf's name is. And the Robotic Russian Fembot woman is the worst tank ever. She run off randomly to attack stuff not even engaged to my party while we are fighting still killing the last group of monsters. They feel like horrible Guild Wars 1 companions with random skills placed on their hot bars. What happened to the Gambit system or whatever that Origins had? That was so loving good and I rarely ever had to babysit my team mates as much as I do in Inquisition. I feel like I am playing and MMO doing content with players who have never played an MMO and I have to remind them incessantly how to play.

They also rarely ever drink potions and pausing a fight every ten seconds to distribute potions is awfully boring. I have then set to drink at 50% and there are times I've watched them sit there at 25% spamming attacks instead. I set t to 75% and I run out of potions in a heartbeat.

I also had just killed a group of monsters and was looting stuff when I realized my allies had vanished. What the hell? Turns out they decided to take off running to kill that bandit King or whatever half a mile away without my consent. So I stormed after them, totally unprepared for a battle, and nearly died. Thanks guys!

I gave up last night when I told myself "If I get ONE more quest off a dead body I am turning this poo poo off..."

Oh hey a quest ahead maybe some guy will hand over a... Oh it's a dead body with another note... *turns off PS4*

gently caress this game. Origins was way better than this and I'd rather play through the Fade twice over than the Hinterlands once. Yeah I said it.:colbert:

Are you rolling with the default settings on companions? That's just gonna lead to frustration. You can prevent varic from using caltrops if you go into his skill settings. And you can force companions to come back to you with Disengage, in the tactical view. Dragon Age Inquisition has a lot of problems but once you know it's quirks it really isn't that bad.

On topic, I'm really enjoying Valkyria Chronicles but the entire format of the story kind of annoys me. You hit a button to watch a cutscene, then get kicked back to the book, hit another button, watch a cutscene, hit another button, finally maybe have an engagement. I think I get why they made the decision(game design wise) to deliver the story this way, but it still feels very clunky.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

GTA hasn't been good since San Andreas, which was... holy gently caress, eleven years ago. They've been coasting so long the wheels are falling off.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I've only ever been able to get into the modern GTAs because the previous games PC ports are all kind of awful. Well that and Bully.

Things dragging dragging games down: Awful PC ports

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

DrBouvenstein posted:

Would the controls be sufficiently gimped to accurately re-create the experience of driving while holding a rum and coke?

Better question: Who do you play as?

One of the main characters?
New character who befriends ricky and co.?
All three with the same way GTA V deals with three characters?

Switching to Bubbles may find you riding around town in a go kart or nursing cats.
switching to Julian would be the mastermind/most normal?
switching to ricky, hed generally be in a stupor or asleep in a trash bin/car somewhere.

drat... someone needs to mod GTA V and add in the Trailer Park Boys for real. I'd actually buy GTA V to play that.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Lord Lambeth posted:

Are you rolling with the default settings on companions? That's just gonna lead to frustration. You can prevent varic from using caltrops if you go into his skill settings. And you can force companions to come back to you with Disengage, in the tactical view. Dragon Age Inquisition has a lot of problems but once you know it's quirks it really isn't that bad.

I haven't switched the settings because I can't really find them. The menus are awful and I thought Diablo 3 had a bad one for the consoles. I bought caltrops thinking he'd be smart and use them then flee to a safe distance but I guess that was asking too much from an AI.

I've used disengage in the (poo poo) tactics menu a few times and they run back then immediately charge off again. No clue if it is just a bug or what. They REALLY wanted to kill that bandit guy. After that I just gave up.

It makes me wish I could return digital purchases. I probably should have rented this one.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I basically shut off all of their abilities except ones I could combo with or ones that would bring downed allies back to life. But then I ended up playing a sword and shield warrior since I let my brother pick my character and they are pretty much unkillable. I had to quit a dragon fight because the dragon couldn't hurt me and I couldn't really hurt it and my mages had all tried to get in close for some reason, thats when I changed the AI.

Also wait did everyone hate GTA 4? I liked that one, it was fun/interesting and the main character was at least semi relatable rather than being a mafia killing machine in a miami beach shirt (not that this wasnt also acceptable.).

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

They're under character record, right after you hit the start button. I've never had that constant aggro problem but you could turn off the character AI if it's constantly happening

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The problem with Trailer Park Boys GTA is that the guns would need to always miss except when they're aimed at Ricky.

But no joke, you could probably make an amusing game out of explicitly small-time crime, where you cannot kill anybody because it would mean serious jail time. Telltale would probably be better-suited for a TPB game than something truly GTA-like.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Better question: Who do you play as?

One of the main characters?
New character who befriends ricky and co.?
All three with the same way GTA V deals with three characters?

Switching to Bubbles may find you riding around town in a go kart or nursing cats.
switching to Julian would be the mastermind/most normal?
switching to ricky, hed generally be in a stupor or asleep in a trash bin/car somewhere.

drat... someone needs to mod GTA V and add in the Trailer Park Boys for real. I'd actually buy GTA V to play that.

You have a seperate wanted level for Jim Lahey and The Real Cops, getting anything more than 1-star with the real cops means you're arrested and sent to jail until the next season.

Meanwhile even 5-star with Lahey is no biggie.

DStecks posted:

The problem with Trailer Park Boys GTA is that the guns would need to always miss except when they're aimed at Ricky.

But no joke, you could probably make an amusing game out of explicitly small-time crime, where you cannot kill anybody because it would mean serious jail time. Telltale would probably be better-suited for a TPB game than something truly GTA-like.

"Cyrus, stop loving shooting ! Somebody's hurt here!"

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

DStecks posted:

Naw, Telltale would probably kill off one of the characters (or introduce random side characters to simply die) for cheap emotional impact. Plus half the puzzles would be stupid inane poo poo instead of hilarious inane poo poo, like refilling Julian's drink after every single thing that happens.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
You'd have to be Corey or Trevor for the first half of the game, Since in GTA fashion, the first half would just be getting sent on Bitchquests. Then it would make sense in universe when you knock over a bank and get like $25. "Goddamn it Corey why did you take the bag of nickles" "It was heavier I thought it would be worth more." Instead of driving around you just crawl into the trunk and sit through a loading screen. "alright, we're here, Don't gently caress it up"

drat it, now I want to play this game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lap-Lem posted:

You'd have to be Corey or Trevor for the first half of the game, Since in GTA fashion, the first half would just be getting sent on Bitchquests. Then it would make sense in universe when you knock over a bank and get like $25. "Goddamn it Corey why did you take the bag of nickles" "It was heavier I thought it would be worth more." Instead of driving around you just crawl into the trunk and sit through a loading screen. "alright, we're here, Don't gently caress it up"

drat it, now I want to play this game.

Grand Theft Auto: Corey & Trevor would be so good. Just one fuckup after another so you never actually progress to anything.

Sorry Julian :smith:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I started playing far cry 2 again. Suddenly I am reminded of the incredibly Many Things relentlessly dragging it down as I am incapable of driving for more than half a minute without some random oval office nugget showing up behind me and damaging my boat, forcing me to get out and kill them for the millionth time and then repair my boat because it's too damaged to move now. And then I get a whole five meters further down the river before it happens again.

And yet it's still better than far cry 3.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

And yet it's still better than far cry 3.

How?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

Also wait did everyone hate GTA 4? I liked that one, it was fun/interesting and the main character was at least semi relatable rather than being a mafia killing machine in a miami beach shirt (not that this wasnt also acceptable.).

video game players, also known in some circles as "gamers", are living cartoons with no small or subtle variations on qualitative opinions. everything is either the greatest video game ever made or complete helltrash shitass for dog baby idiot fuckers