Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Did somebody say they weren't putting Xen in the final release? Is that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Pay version is out in Early Access. $20. Still no Xen yet.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Did somebody say they weren't putting Xen in the final release? Is that true?

Ever since they announced a final paid release, they started talking about how the mod version would not include Xen whereas the paid version would cover the entirety of HL1.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Where's a good place to start learning to make Doom mods/maps?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I still don't get why Xen is so hated. It's really cool. :saddowns:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

Still no Xen yet.

Ha. :v:

Geight posted:

First-person precision platforming with very confusing level design that amplifies the inherent disadvantages of platforming in first person, and wacky physics that aren't like what you're used to from the last eight hours, and a stupid trick jumping gimmick you don't really get a chance to get used to.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I guess my disconnect is I never understood why first-person platforming is supposed to be hard. People have even started making games based around it these days!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Geight posted:

A couple of reasons.

It's a sudden departure in the kind of movement, navigation, and puzzle-solving you've been taught so far in the game, and there is no real teaching session to deal with these new designs. At the very tail end of the game, you are told about a new movement technique and given a wholly unsuited place to practice in (unless you remember the tutorial from three days earlier, if you even played it) — your next use is a matter of life or death reload.

It is very unguided and poorly signalled. So far, the game has been very linear and has provided (or at least taught) a set of clear signals for where to go and how to progress. These are now completely replaced, again without teaching the new rules, by seemingly open tracts that are actually just as linear as before but you have to know the new navigation rules to see that line.

It's also a sharp and sudden increase in difficulty, because now everything takes place on precarious ledges over insta-death voids. These certainly existed before, but were short, clearly defined, and with an obvious solution — not an entire environment. You've previously had combat sections where you had room to manoeuvre and/or places to duck and weave and hide. A lot of that is suddenly gone, and if you do it wrong, it's a long fall into the void for you. Not only does it take place in a never-ending platform section (capitalising on the worst part of the game), it also relies on the most uninteresting bullet-sponge enemies to make combat particularly dull.

It comes out of loving nowhere. The rest of the game has had a good sense of progression from one area to the next, and suddenly, you are on a floating platform in a void?! Sure, the scientists have been mumbling about teleportation and border worlds if you've been paying attention, but it could have been teased better and used a transition area where all the above changes are taught.

For an alien world, it also manages to somehow be visually bland and uninteresting. Ok, so it isn't the same old laboratory corridor any more — instead, it's endlessly repeated stone textures with little to no use of lighting to create a dynamic look and without much in the way of decoration to break up the monotony.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Geight posted:

I guess my disconnect is I never understood why first-person platforming is supposed to be hard. People have even started making games based around it these days!

Because it makes you do precision jumping/movement without giving you the situational awareness you get from a third person view. It's a non-issue if you design your levels with it in mind, which wasn't really the case with Xen. There's also a huge difference between something like Mirror's Edge (where the "platforming" is very forgiving) and stuff like Xen's jumping puzzles.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nexus6 posted:

Well if you want to do it like the pros, you can now get a VMWare virtual machine image with the original DoomEd editor fully set up: http://www.mediafire.com/download/vao946mgi19s3o3/NextStep_3.3_with_DoomEd.7z

And you can mess around with the level files from it, in "dwd" format from here http://www.doomworld.com/linguica/romerofiles/doom-maps.zip
And the textures to go with in http://www.doomworld.com/linguica/romerofiles/doom-textures.zip

All thanks to John Romero dropping them on like 2 weeks ago.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Because it makes you do precision jumping/movement without giving you the situational awareness you get from a third person view. It's a non-issue if you design your levels with it in mind, which wasn't really the case with Xen. There's also a huge difference between something like Mirror's Edge (where the "platforming" is very forgiving) and stuff like Xen's jumping puzzles.

First-person games that are considered to have "good" platforming also tend to have floaty physics and a ton of air control, neither of which are present in HL.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

haveblue posted:

First-person games that are considered to have "good" platforming also tend to have floaty physics and a ton of air control, neither of which are present in HL.

I still have trouble sometimes with the crate jumping puzzle near the start of the game :smith:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Elliotw2 posted:

I thought he said he was doing all three versions?
I think that was Night Dive. Apparently PowerslaveEX is separate from whatever they've got cooking up (for now). He does apparently intend to revisit the Saturn version at some point, but hasn't figured out the map format.

nexus6 posted:

Pick up GZDoomBuilder (if only because stock Doom Builder is no longer updated) and mess around with making a map in either vanilla or Boom format for a limit-removing source port of your choice, I suppose. There's a bit more to it than that - you'd need to grasp the whole "sector" concept, particularly with regards to not making sectors unclosed by accident - but I'm not sure what the best tutorial for that would be.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

The jumping puzzles were pretty terribly signposted too. I died a bunch in that section because I was dumb and kept jumping to the wrong poo poo and taking hella falling damage.

iirc there was also some mandatory fall damage at points, and mandatory damage is like the stupidest thing ever in games.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Boy howdy, it sure would be great if these mods that are based off of cross-platform games were, themselves, cross-platform (Goldeneye: Source! :argh:)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Boy howdy, it sure would be great if these mods that are based off of cross-platform games were, themselves, cross-platform (Goldeneye: Source! :argh:)

Speaking as someone who has been involved in porting a Source mod to Linux, the amount of work required is huge and a huge pain. :(

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

On a Half-Life-related tangent (that doesn't really qualify as "early FPS" by any stretch of the imagination but I don't really care), this Half-Life 2: Episode Two speedrun is incredible.

(Script-assisted, tho.)

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 5, 2015

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Huh. Well, having already played the free version there's not really much of a reason to pay for this one until they put Xen in. After 3 years I expected to see them put it in the next release but I guess they were busy doing other stuff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wow, people still play GoldenEye? Thought it was dead.

Unrelated, but has anyone with a win7 machine had any trouble getting Tron 2.0 to play? I installed my old copy, but as soon as the intro movie plays the drat thing locks up no matter what compatibility/administrator settings I have on. Honestly I'm not even sure what the problem is because I have other q3 engine games running just fine.

E: also

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=47801&start=360

First beta of WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony is out. Been playing it a bit. It's pretty good, the devs really put some effort into it. It would have been nice if they somehow made the player slightly shorter, because right now you tower like a foot over everyone, but I like to think it's juts because BJ is a big guy.

Haven't finished but this was fun from what I played of it. There's another mod linked in that thread of a mood that replaces doom enemies with Nazis that's pretty cool too.

site fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 5, 2015

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

nexus6 posted:

You could do a lot worse than checking out the old editing tutorials on Doomworld. Browsing through those should give you a grasp of what a Doom level is composed of. The Doom Wiki is also a good resource.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

site posted:

Unrelated, but has anyone with a win7 machine had any trouble getting Tron 2.0 to play? I installed my old copy, but as soon as the intro movie plays the drat thing locks up no matter what compatibility/administrator settings I have on. Honestly I'm not even sure what the problem is because I have other q3 engine games running just fine.
It's Lithtech son

From googling around a bit there appears to be a fan patch floating out there that will add widescreen support and presumably work on modern machines.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Isn't like every fifth post you make in this thread about how OSX can't do X?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

david_a posted:

It's Lithtech son

From googling around a bit there appears to be a fan patch floating out there that will add widescreen support and presumably work on modern machines.

You're right, my bad.

I have tried with and without the patch, which is part of why I thought it might be a win7 issue. Maybe it just isn't meant to be :/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Kins posted:

Everyone knows Macs can't play games. :smugdog:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

Is it? :ohdear: Sorry if that's the case. To be fair, a lot of my questions are regarding "How do I play X on a mac?" when I know that it's possible. I completely get how there are some games just not ported to OS X; it bugs me how a game like Half-Life, which is platform agnostic, has no mods that are.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Is it? :ohdear: Sorry if that's the case. To be fair, a lot of my questions are regarding "How do I play X on a mac?" when I know that it's possible. I completely get how there are some games just not ported to OS X; it bugs me how a game like Half-Life, which is platform agnostic, has no mods that are.

If it makes you feel any better, I have a Mac and answers to your questions help me out too :)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Speaking of GE:Source, I'm still incredibly sad they got the movement speed/feel totally wrong. I'd kill for a good HD rerelease of both GoldenEye and Perfect Dark on PC, but they're in the same hellhole as Halo (i.e. MS-owned). :(

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Speaking of GE:Source, I'm still incredibly sad they got the movement speed/feel totally wrong. I'd kill for a good HD rerelease of both GoldenEye and Perfect Dark on PC, but they're in the same hellhole as Halo (i.e. MS-owned). :(

There was a complete plan to go for a Goldeneye HD rerelease but Nintendo refused to accept the bags of free money for agreeing to let Rare and Microsoft release. They'd already gotten EA or Activision or whichever huge video game company it was that held the necessary James Bond video game license on board to allow it to be released too.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Xen was genius because Valve was commited to the idea of creating an alien world that was not built with navigation for humans in mind - it was a confusing labyrinth that was a nightmarish tangle of long distance jumps and weird architecture, but it worked because of that. It pulled the rug out from under your feet and it was great because it was nothing like the rest of the game. If you want games to follow a set list of game design rules that's fine but that's also a very boring and safe experience. I liked the section, and the build up to the Nihilianth was still very eerie. I can see why the Citadel was fairly dry in comparison to Xen, I can't blame them for doing it I guess.

Xen only works with the long jump and the jumping puzzles, because Blue Shift's trip through Xen was terribly boring and mundane by comparison. The level design is solid but the game itself is just fairly dull and mundane, and the trip to Xen, which was a huge reveal in the original game, was treated as if you were going to the shop to buy some loving toilet roll. Opposing Force has a lot of neat ideas but the campaign is actually really disjointed and seems to just be a string of cool cutscenes stitched together (HL's design in comparison still had solid progression, and levels felt like actual areas instead of passing through them so quickly you don't have any time to really settle in)

Jblade fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 5, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Jblade posted:

Xen was genius because Valve was commited to the idea of creating an alien world that was not built with navigation for humans in mind - it was a confusing labyrinth that was a nightmarish tangle of long distance jumps and weird architecture, but it worked because of that. It pulled the rug out from under your feet and it was great because it was nothing like the rest of the game. If you want games to follow a set list of game design rules that's fine but that's also a very boring and safe experience. I liked the section, and the build up to the Nihilianth was still very eerie. I can see why the Citadel was fairly dry in comparison to Xen, I can't blame them for doing it I guess.

Xen only works with the long jump and the jumping puzzles, because Blue Shift's trip through Xen was terribly boring and mundane by comparison. The level design is solid but the game itself is just fairly dull and mundane, and the trip to Xen, which was a huge reveal in the original game, was treated as if you were going to the shop to buy some loving toilet roll. Opposing Force has a lot of neat ideas but the campaign is actually really disjointed and seems to just be a string of cool cutscenes stitched together (HL's design in comparison still had solid progression, and levels felt like actual areas instead of passing through them so quickly you don't have any time to really settle in)

I liked Xen, too. It was this strange, disjointed world basking in the glow of giant, colorful...bacterium? And it was filled with all sorts of weird squawking noises and flora, like the "shy" plants that illuminated areas until you approached them, and the bulbous, fleshy, tentacled things that attacked you if you got too close. There were only vague notions of familiar things (like the alien "factory") but, for the most part, it was sufficiently alien. I don't remember having much trouble with the maps, either, so I guess that helped color my memories of the place.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Xen is therefore a perfect example of ludonarrative resonance!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

There was a complete plan to go for a Goldeneye HD rerelease but Nintendo refused to accept the bags of free money for agreeing to let Rare and Microsoft release. They'd already gotten EA or Activision or whichever huge video game company it was that held the necessary James Bond video game license on board to allow it to be released too.

I would like to point out that Perfect Dark for XBLA is a fantastic port.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I would like to point out that Perfect Dark for XBLA is a fantastic port.

...that we never got on PC. :(

The new weapon pickup animations in Black Mesa are lovely, incidentally. The hornet gun one is hilarious.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
Just a heads up in case anyone cares that Strife Veteran Edition (and other games obviously) is in this bundle and is so far the cheapest it was since the release on Steam/Humble.
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/killer-bundle-3/

Nokiaman fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 6, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
they're making a demonsteele anime

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

:eyepop:
where do I find the subs, you know I can't watch anime without subs

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Nokiaman posted:

Just a heads up in case anyone cares that Strife Veteran Edition (and other games obviously) is in this bundle and is so far the cheapest it was since the release on Steam/Humble.

hot drat

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nokiaman posted:

drat, thanks for the heads-up. I've actually wanted Strife and Super Motherload for a while so this is an even better deal.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bouchacha posted:

Xen is therefore a perfect example of ludonarrative resonance!

The ludonarrative resonance cascade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I have probably the noobiest question about Doom mods, but if I don't ask I won't learn so: how do you use multiple mods at once? Like, can you use Doom Expanded with Scythe? The beginner's guide I read for GZDoom basically ended at "drag the wad over the .exe" but I've seen a bunch of posts along the lines of "Brutal Doom wrecks the balance of X level pack" and presumably you don't just drag both files onto the .exe at once. So what's deal, help a contard out.