Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Sweet rear end Wolf 3D menu music remix.

However: No original sound effects beyond opening doors and really low sounding enemy alert yells in nightmare levels. 0/10 would not buy again.

(this game is just as awesome and well done as TNO)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
From the trailers and screenshots I've seen that in The Old Blood the soldiers still have those tesla backpacks from the 1946 section of The New Blood... but those tesla backpacks were supposed to shield soldiers from being zapped by the giant tripod walker? Is there anything like that in The Old Blood? If not, they are carrying pointless heavy tesla machinery for no reason, heh.

I don't suppose Old Blood has any tesla weapons? I Ioved the tesla technology in RTCW and Wolf 09. The Wolf 09 tesla gun was even more fun that then particle cannon. Or perhaps a flamethrower? There's gotta be a flamethrower this time.

GUI posted:

I like how Agent One is a different guy with the same codename as the one from RTCW, when they said he'd be returning I thought it meant they were removing RTCW from the RTCW/W09/TNO trilogy and was worried about my ~~Wolfencanon.~~ BJ even mentions the X-Labs from RTCW again too.

Nice! I too was concerned about "the return of Agent 01" messing up RTCW canon, it suggested that Old Blood was actually instead to replace RTCW. But nope, Machinegames have too much respect for the previous games to do that. :)

GUI posted:

Also, Hitler plot developments???

That's awesome, it neatly side-steps another Wolfcanon issue:

Ever since Wolf 09 there has been confusion as to whether Wolf 3D was supposed to have happened or not. RTCW was supposed to be a remake of Wolf 3D, which should mean that Wolf 3D didn't happen. But before Wolf 09 came out Activision had some "motion comics" made to show BJ's previous exploits... one of which was the plot of Wolf 3D, ending with BJ killing Hitler.

But there was nothing in Raven Software's Wolf 09 itself to suggest that had actually occurred, and it featured Hans Grosse, who BJ seemed to have never met before. And both Wolf 09 and The New Order never mentioned Hitler, instead only referring to the Fuhrer.

That document in The Old Blood means you are now free to include or disregard Wolf 3D in your own personal canon... because they have implied the possibility that by 1945 the Fuhrer might have been killed and is now a zombie! Alternatively, he's just a bit cold and has poor personal hygiene. You can take your pick.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Shirtless BJ :swoon:

Rudi Jaeger boss fight :swoon:

The menu :swoon:

This game :swoon:

THE PIPE :swoon:

Just got to part two. Looking forward to finding out Helga von Schabbs' secrets. :black101:

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 5, 2015

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

There's another news article in chapter 1 or 2 where they mention someone went into castle Wolfenstein and possibly wounded Hitler before escaping. That clamy and cold handshake line makes me think Hitler is a zombie. I'm calling it now, Wolf3D was real (which is why BJ has nightmares about it) you killed mecha hitler, and now he's been brought back from the dead. I

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'm digging BJ's more pronounced 80s action hero lines/moments in this game, almost makes up for the removed one-liners from TNO.
*holds up human skull laying on table* "Alas, poor Yorick. Heh heh." *tries to put it back on the table and it falls off* "Oops."
Also the entire dialogue in the (Chapter 3 spoilers) Rudi Jager torture scene.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Still downloading from last night. Only a few more gigs until I can play, right? :bang:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Stabbing nazis in the neck with a rusty pipe will never get old.

Holy gently caress the bolt action rifle is a lot of fun, too.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Just finished. Best Wolfenstein game. That end credit song :allears:

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Read all the brand names on the soda machine, got incredibly excited.
NUKA COLA!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Read all the brand names on the soda machine, got incredibly excited.
NUKA COLA!

Not just the soda machines, check out the coffee and cigarette machines for more injokes.

I had to stop after Chapter 1 last night otherwise I too wouldn't have gotten any sleep (video games on work nights are generally bad ideas) but holy poo poo is it good to have more Wolfenstein. That opening fight was tough on Death Incarnate. Definitely not trying Uber until I have some perks.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 5, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
By the way, for anyone on the fence or not able to get this yet, im streaming it here. I'm not fond of talking on stream either, so you'll just get the game talking and not some nob from england ;)

E: also im pretty much right at the start, sneaking around and being bad at it! :haw:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

GUI posted:

I'm digging BJ's more pronounced 80s action hero lines/moments in this game, almost makes up for the removed one-liners from TNO.
*holds up human skull laying on table* "Alas, poor Yorick. Heh heh." *tries to put it back on the table and it falls off* "Oops."
Also the entire dialogue in the (Chapter 3 spoilers) Rudi Jager torture scene.

Killed your fuckin' dog, Rudi. :smug:

Reminds me of TNO's "Nazis dead. Nazi robots dead. Broke all your poo poo." quote, or however you want. I love BJ.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Holy poo poo. :monocle:

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

SirSamVimes posted:

Killed your fuckin' dog, Rudi. :smug:

Reminds me of TNO's "Nazis dead. Nazi robots dead. Broke all your poo poo." quote, or however you want. I love BJ.

This game is full of nice touches. It's kind of weird that it tends to take little steps to humanize what are otherwise cartoonish over the top villains, like the letters discussing Rudi getting beaten by his father and abandoned by his mom who is now hitting him up for money, or Helga's raging alcoholism. New Order is one of the few games I ever bothered to plat and I'll likely wind up going the distance on this one as well. Only just started at chapter 4 out of 8 but I'm highly satisfied.

Has anyone tried the arena mode yet? Also has anyone wound the Wolf3D level in the prologue? It's the only one I missed so far. Also the rocket pistol is great but far too rare, hopefully it becomes more common later.

I'll echo the love for the bolt action rifle, but the shock hammer is just a re skin of the new order shotgun without the shrapnel shot feature, which is a shame since that's one of my favorites.

prussian advisor fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 5, 2015

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You dicks are gonna make me go back and play RtCW, aren't you.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This game is fun, loved the Castle segments of the game, some of those hallways reminded me of RTCW.

I'm upto the part where everything goes to hell
"It's raining Nazis."

I really want a sequel to TNO now, or prequel to TNO & TOB, whatever, more of this Wolfenstein universe please, the world building is great. Get Splash Damage to remake RTCW:ET as a multiplayer segment too for the next project, sell millions of copies from that nostalgia hit.

Edit: I wish there was an upgrade for the bolt action to make it semi-auto, I miss my FG42.

your evil twin posted:

From the trailers and screenshots I've seen that in The Old Blood the soldiers still have those tesla backpacks from the 1946 section of The New Blood... but those tesla backpacks were supposed to shield soldiers from being zapped by the giant tripod walker? Is there anything like that in The Old Blood? If not, they are carrying pointless heavy tesla machinery for no reason, heh.
This takes place in 1946. At the beginning there are the supersoldat but they are on wires connected to generators, they don't have their backpacks until later.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 5, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

kefkafloyd posted:

Not just the soda machines, check out the coffee and cigarette machines for more injokes.
One of the armor pickups in the office where you have the first fight was also very clearly the Dragonborn's helmet from Skyrim.

Also, in the first nightmare level, in the Asylum, is it possible to beat it? I couldn't find the key for some reason, and BJ's slow-rear end run speed made me give up.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

The Kins posted:

One of the armor pickups in the office where you have the first fight was also very clearly the Dragonborn's helmet from Skyrim.

Also, in the first nightmare level, in the Asylum, is it possible to beat it? I couldn't find the key for some reason, and BJ's slow-rear end run speed made me give up.
A few easter eggs, and a boss spoiler at the end:

Mecha Hitl- Jager
http://i.imgur.com/79H4fw4.jpg

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

drunkill posted:

This takes place in 1946. At the beginning there are the supersoldat but they are on wires connected to generators, they don't have their backpacks until later.

Ah I wasn't talking super soldiers, I mean the ordinary regular troops. The screenshots and promotional art show troops wearing backpacks with tesla technology, just like in the 1946 section of TNO.

I was pointing out that seems a bit silly if there isn't one of those giant tripods with a lightning canon. (Or some other kind of lightning weapon or defence.) The soldiers are armed with ordinary firearms, not sci-fi telsa guns, so there's no reason for them to be carrying around these big heavy electric machines.

(Posters in TNO reveal the purpose of those tesla backpacks is that they prevent the Nazi soldiers from being targets of the tripod. One of the posters shows a drawing of a man being zapped by lightning, and another man wearing a backpack and being protected by an umbrella-like shield.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You can currently get this for $15.40 if you buy it at green man gaming and use the code 23OFFH-OLIDAY-WEEKND. That's less than half what I'd have to buy if I bought it on console.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How's performance on the PS4 version of Old Blood?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

How's performance on the PS4 version of Old Blood?

Wunderbar

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hahaha it's a plush cacodemon! :haw:
I've got one of those, it's adorable and my cat likes to carry it around the house sometimes.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

prussian advisor posted:

This game is full of nice touches. It's kind of weird that it tends to take little steps to humanize what are otherwise cartoonish over the top villains, like the letters discussing Rudi getting beaten by his father and abandoned by his mom who is now hitting him up for money, or Helga's raging alcoholism. New Order is one of the few games I ever bothered to plat and I'll likely wind up going the distance on this one as well. Only just started at chapter 4 out of 8 but I'm highly satisfied.
New Order did that a bit. In the prologue you can eavesdrop on the commander of the castle talking about how he loves his wife and kids and really wants to go home to them soon right before you stab him for his secrets.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Ravenfood posted:

New Order did that a bit.

They've done a great job at humanizing the Nazi's in both games, which in turn makes their monstrous acts so much more horrifying by comparison. :stare:

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
The Old Blood has a literal grammar Nazi though. I didn't feel bad about him.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Just a small note, but having played through Part 1 unless Part 2 changes something TOB basically doesn't have any of the character moments that TNO had in the least. You get a couple moments, a few inner monologues, and, as was noted above, some good pieces of dialogue but mostly its just BJ killing a whole lot of Nazi's.

This isn't a bad thing at all if only because the shooting in TNO/TOB is really fun but it has made me notice how much I did like the character building in TNO. Killing Nazi's is still plenty fun enough though, even if the first part did have a couple too many "kill all enemies to proceed" arenas.

On an unrelated note, if you're having trouble overcharging your health to 250 for the second health perk, there's a really easy spot to get it. Just after opening the gates to the castle after the boat section, assuming you don't need to grab the health packs to survive, in the arena fight in the castle lobby there's a two 80 and 40 health pick-ups, plus scattered 20's, you can sprint through after clearing the area and grab. If you're facing the castle door, on the left there's a small corridor that becomes accessible after you kill the super-soldier and the regular guards come out of their room. In the box at the end of this there's a 80 health (on the opposite side there's a 75 armor), run to the guard room and you can grab a 40 health pack there, head up one level and there's a 40 pack in the right side room, sprint up to the top floor and there's two 20 packs immediately to your left at the top of the stairs behind the machine gun, then you can sprint to the opposite end of the top floor and on the left, past the exit points, will be another 80 health pack. If there's armor in those spots, reverse my directions because that means I mixed them up! Do a practice run and if you didn't need those health packs in the preceding fight you should be able to get able 250 easily.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Kibayasu posted:

Just a small note, but having played through Part 1 unless Part 2 changes something TOB basically doesn't have any of the character moments that TNO had in the least. You get a couple moments, a few inner monologues, and, as was noted above, some good pieces of dialogue but mostly its just BJ killing a whole lot of Nazi's.

This isn't a bad thing at all if only because the shooting in TNO/TOB is really fun but it has made me notice how much I did like the character building in TNO. Killing Nazi's is still plenty fun enough though, even if the first part did have a couple too many "kill all enemies to proceed" arenas.

On an unrelated note, if you're having trouble overcharging your health to 250 for the second health perk, there's a really easy spot to get it. Just after opening the gates to the castle after the boat section, assuming you don't need to grab the health packs to survive, in the arena fight in the castle lobby there's a two 80 and 40 health pick-ups, plus scattered 20's, you can sprint through after clearing the area and grab. If you're facing the castle door, on the left there's a small corridor that becomes accessible after you kill the super-soldier and the regular guards come out of their room. In the box at the end of this there's a 80 health (on the opposite side there's a 75 armor), run to the guard room and you can grab a 40 health pack there, head up one level and there's a 40 pack in the right side room, sprint up to the top floor and there's two 20 packs immediately to your left at the top of the stairs behind the machine gun, then you can sprint to the opposite end of the top floor and on the left, past the exit points, will be another 80 health pack. If there's armor in those spots, reverse my directions because that means I mixed them up! Do a practice run and if you didn't need those health packs in the preceding fight you should be able to get able 250 easily.

Im the opposite, I thought most of BJ's monologues were stupid as poo poo in The New Order.

Also, how many times has BJ gotten captured now? I think Wolf09 is the only one where he isn't captured.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I found the drunken man in the village to be oddly touching, in a depressing way. :smith:

Really is a crapsack world ol' BJ lives in.

blackguy32 posted:

Im the opposite, I thought most of BJ's monologues were stupid as poo poo in The New Order.

Also, how many times has BJ gotten captured now? I think Wolf09 is the only one where he isn't captured.

I liked them because otherwise some parts would have been very quiet on the dialogue, and BJ isn't a silent protagonist. Also you make it sound like BJ getting captured isn't part of his grand master plan to lower the guard of nazi's and kill more of them. :colbert:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Xenomrph posted:

Hahaha it's a plush cacodemon! :haw:
I've got one of those, it's adorable and my cat likes to carry it around the house sometimes.

That cat's name had better be Catcodemon. :colbert:

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Does anyone know what the point is of the "old silver" pickups in the retro levels, if any?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Does anyone know if the requirements are higher for Old Blood versus TNO? Launching Old Blood it tells me that the recommended video drivers are a higher number than what is available to my old video card, but I could run TNO just fine, sort of. :ohdear:

Time to read Zinn
Sep 11, 2013
the humidity + the viscosity
The absence of any kind of playable arena mode or something to mess around in was own of my few problems with TNO. Really happy about there being one in this.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Geight posted:

Does anyone know if the requirements are higher for Old Blood versus TNO? Launching Old Blood it tells me that the recommended video drivers are a higher number than what is available to my old video card, but I could run TNO just fine, sort of. :ohdear:

I don't have a ninja system and had to turn some stuff down, but I have the same specs as when TNO came out and this game runs just fine.

Also, BJ getting capture is a series staple at this point.

Gold pickups that do nothing
BJ getting captured
Eating dogfood
Killin' Nazis

:getin:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Ok the literal Grammar Nazi is a loving hilarious easter egg

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Geight posted:

I'm running the same settings as TNO and it's running fine. The system requirements don't seem to be higher to me, and it didn't demand I update my drivers (which since I'm on a decent but relatively old laptop, is a massive pain in the rear end, I had to update them to get TNO running).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bolow posted:

Ok the literal Grammar Nazi is a loving hilarious easter egg

This expansion is every bit as good as the main game and just like the main game my response to winning is wanting to play again. Or go on and play the New Order again, since, you know, that's what happens next.

Machinegames is goddamn amazing and I need to go back and play older games their people worked on.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay had some Machinegames guys working on it, and despite it being a licensed game, it's actually really, really good.

It along with the Darkness really made you feel like the monster lurking in the shadows that every other game is making you run from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I do not understand challenge mode. A higher score is worse?

Oh wait, difficulty caps. :downs:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 5, 2015

• Locked thread