Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

War Horse is good.

Yep, so was Lincoln. I can't think of the last Spielberg that you could caricature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yep, so was Lincoln. I can't think of the last Spielberg that you could caricature.

The Terminal maybe? (I don't know, I never saw it but it seemed that way)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Terminal was not very good. But Munich just kicked rear end six ways from Sunday.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I didn't like War of the Worlds but I think I'm kinda in the minority on that at this point.

Minority Report was loving dope as hell though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I didn't like War of the Worlds but I think I'm kinda in the minority on that at this point.

Eh, it could have been much better. About half the movie just didn't flow well / didn't fit together great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Minority Report was loving dope as hell though.

E.T., Close Encounters and War of The Worlds fit together really, really nicely.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

E.T., Close Encounters and War of The Worlds fit together really, really nicely.

I uh.... don't really like ET or Close Encounters either.

I know, I know. I'm a bad cinephile. sue me.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Huh. I felt like ET and Close Encounters were far far better than War of the Worlds. To a pretty big extent.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I actually don't like ET or Close Encounters very much either. But they are both still good!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also hopping on the "not a big fan of ET or Close Encounters" train, though I do like War of the Worlds decently enough.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I actually don't like ET or Close Encounters very much either. But they are both still good!

yeah I wouldn't call either of them bad, especially not Close Encounters, but they don't really resonate with me that much. and I think ET himself is kind of a crappy muppet to be honest.

Spielberg still has a pretty permanent place in my all-time favorite directors list, even if he's hit or miss.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Well now that I have your permission to, see you in court Uncle Boogeyman.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thinking about it, Close Encounters could be a pretty ideal flick for a remake. It's still really good but a lot of the stuff in it is pretty dated now. You could add in a whole new angle of terrorism / government abuse of authority to really punch up the ultimately positive parts of the storyline.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah I wouldn't call either of them bad, especially not Close Encounters, but they don't really resonate with me that much. and I think ET himself is kind of a crappy muppet to be honest.

Spielberg still has a pretty permanent place in my all-time favorite directors list, even if he's hit or miss.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Carlo Rambaldi got lucky.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Carlo Rambaldi got lucky.

glancing at his wiki page, drat that dude had an interesting career.

it's been I don't know how long since I saw ET all the way through but I remember last time I caught a bit of it on TV being like "man, ET looks like poo poo." Yoda was two years earlier and looks a thousand times better.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
A lot of Spielberg's movies don't do it for me either, though I quite like Schindler's List and Lincoln, I think a lot of his stuff might be ignored if his name wasn't attached but maybe I'm an rear end in a top hat.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Spielberg gets a pass for anything bad he's done (1941, Hook) and a permanent spot in my top 3 simply because of Jaws though. I still love Close Encounters as much as I did when I saw it for the first time as a 6 year old. War Horse surprised me; I was expecting something much less but I really liked it.
Munich owns, haven't seen Lincoln. Is it streaming for free somewhere?

VVVVV Yep.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

directing Jaws and Raiders of the Lost Ark is enough to earn you a spot in the all-time pantheon and that's setting aside his, what, 20 other awesome movies?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

glancing at his wiki page, drat that dude had an interesting career.

He did, and I will say his poo poo in Dune looks awesome. Sometimes it just does not work at all, like King Kong.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

directing Jaws and Raiders of the Lost Ark is enough to earn you a spot in the all-time pantheon and that's setting aside his, what, 20 other awesome movies?

Well, poo poo, that's true. Maybe I like him more than I thought. Jaws and Raiders! Man...Jaws and Raiders, you could happily retire with just those 2.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Raiders is probably in my top 3 best of all time anything movies ever. Just a perfect film to me.

How did ya'll feel about War Horse? I still haven't gotten around to seeing it but have meant to.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

He did, and I will say his poo poo in Dune looks awesome. Sometimes it just does not work at all, like King Kong.

I feel like coming out of the Italian genre film industry will do that. homie probably got handed scraps of fur and foam rubber and told to make it work a lot.

That Works posted:

How did ya'll feel about War Horse? I still haven't gotten around to seeing it but have meant to.

it's not top tier Spielberg but it's worth a watch.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

That Works posted:

Raiders is probably in my top 3 best of all time anything movies ever. Just a perfect film to me.

I haven't seen it either, I remember the critical reaction to it at the time being kinda middling so I passed it over.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

That Works posted:

The main character being a horse aside, there's a really weird motif where you don't ever see any on-screen violence, at least for a little while.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Oh WEIRD, Spielberg directed Catch Me If You Can? Why didn't I know that? I quite liked that one.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

What Boogey said. It's not amazing but it's still pretty good and it's interesting. It's also just the type of war picture that isn't made anymore while still having the influence of the type of war movies that are made anymore. It wouldn't make my top ten Spielberg movies but that's more because the dude has an insane amount of awesome movies to choose from (with Minority Report being my favorite).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

What Boogey said. It's not amazing but it's still pretty good and it's interesting. It's also just the type of war picture that isn't made anymore while still having the influence of the type of war movies that are made anymore.

yeah this is the most interesting thing about it really.

I hear it kinda pales in comparison to the play.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Looking back at Spielbergs wiki I forgot about Empire of the Sun and really dug that one as well.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah this is the most interesting thing about it really.

I hear it kinda pales in comparison to the play.

the play is good but it gets kinda weird when that war horse shits on stage

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

That Works posted:

Thinking about it, Close Encounters could be a pretty ideal flick for a remake. It's still really good but a lot of the stuff in it is pretty dated now. You could add in a whole new angle of terrorism / government abuse of authority to really punch up the ultimately positive parts of the storyline.

Why the gently caress would you want to do that to Close Encounters? That sounds loving miserable.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

The_Rob posted:

Why the gently caress would you want to do that to Close Encounters? That sounds loving miserable.

If you don't want movies to make you feel abject misery you're no movie lover!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The_Rob posted:

Just more thinking that of the many films he did that one is pretty badly dated (along with ET) and while still being really good definitely suffers from lots of stuff being 70's / early 80's as hell.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

That Works posted:

Just more thinking that of the many films he did that one is pretty badly dated (along with ET) and while still being really good definitely suffers from lots of stuff being 70's / early 80's as hell.

That's honestly my favorite part of E.T., a movie I also like but don't love.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Jurassic Park, too.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 6, 2015

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

That Works posted:

But I mean terrorism and abuse of power isn't a modern idea. Why would you want to inject those themes into a modern day retelling of a movie that already exists. Why would those themes make the film any more interesting when literally every single modern alien/ disaster movie has those exact same themes already.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Also hopping on the "not a big fan of ET or Close Encounters" train, though I do like War of the Worlds decently enough.

I agree

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I just noticed that Grizzly Man, The Exorcist, Blue Velvet, Tales From the Darkside, and New Nightmare are all on Netflix now. I don't think I saw these on any of the lists going into the month.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I rewatched Tales from the Darkside the other night. poo poo's dope.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I rewatched Tales from the Darkside the other night. poo poo's dope.

Gonna watch that now, its one of the few horror anthologies I haven't seen yet.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

cat doter posted:

Oh WEIRD, Spielberg directed Catch Me If You Can? Why didn't I know that? I quite liked that one.

I didn't know he was responsible for that. One of my favorite movies. Solid book too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Gonna watch that now, its one of the few horror anthologies I haven't seen yet.

it's my favorite movie where Steve Buscemi summons a mummy to go after Julianne Moore