Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

It actually creates new save each time. And I definitely wasnt exaggerating or anything. I do think it is silly that you need to invest a skill two skills to not take as much backstab damage and you're not that tough in the early game to begin with. Hence why I hate creating a million saves when I am trying to casually play through the game again but early-game Geralt is made out of wet tissue paper.

Might want to check that - my install only has one quicksave slot. It's autosaves a bajillion times with unique saves which is where savegame bloat comes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Just beat the Iorveth side today, it was great. Gonna use that for my first (only?) playthrough for W3 I think. Played through on Dark, wasn't too bad barring the very beginning, except for the last "boss" of the game that isn't Letho, who I let go.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anti-Hero posted:

Might want to check that - my install only has one quicksave slot. It's autosaves a bajillion times with unique saves which is where savegame bloat comes in.
Huh, I must be mis-remembering then. And being an idiot, of course.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

GrossMurpel posted:

"I have to press F5 once in a while" is the silliest complaint I've ever heard. Especially since there is only one quicksave slot that gets overwritten every time.

This is just wrong and playing through the second time on my weaker computer in the den it was crashing from bringing up the load screen like 1/4 times by the third act. Granted my wife was playing through as well.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
You need to make sure and periodically clean out the ridiculous amount of autosaves or it results in game instability.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Mr E posted:

Just beat the Iorveth side today, it was great. Gonna use that for my first (only?) playthrough for W3 I think. Played through on Dark, wasn't too bad barring the very beginning, except for the last "boss" of the game that isn't Letho, who I let go.

I decided I'm gunna help my bro Roche. He's too loving cool to not help.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

Iorveth's path is apparently the more traditionally heroic of the two. Roche's is "everything is poo poo, everyone is poo poo, so find the turds you think smell worst and stab them repeatedly."

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Bort Bortles posted:

Huh, I must be mis-remembering then. And being an idiot, of course.

F5 creates an entirely new save for me, it doesn't overwrite anything

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Oxxidation posted:

Iorveth's path is apparently the more traditionally heroic of the two. Roche's is "everything is poo poo, everyone is poo poo, so find the turds you think smell worst and stab them repeatedly."

Yeah I've played both paths to completion. I don't necessarily like one more than the other - one has Roche and the other has Saskia and both characters own. I simply decided I wanted to start W3 having helped Roche at the least. The finer details are bridges I'll cross as I play like how I decided to spare Aryan - anybody willing to blow up a prison while still inside is cool in my book although he does survive and pop out just as the game ends so win-win baby.

Edit: I'm also going heavily mage because that's the only branch I haven't done yet. Gunna light some dudes on fire.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

I love Roche's path too, I think both are very well done.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mr E posted:

I love Roche's path too, I think both are very well done.

is the final decision on which path you take decided by the end of act 1 in flotsam or do you get a later chance to reconsider?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Just out of interest, what made the community (or at least the threads on SA) distinctly disinterested in the Arena? Bad combat, lack of relevance to the story, added after the game came out?

I wonder if 3 is going to have some sidequest-y stuff with points tallied to compare with the community, and how much success that will have.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Real hurthling! posted:

is the final decision on which path you take decided by the end of act 1 in flotsam or do you get a later chance to reconsider?

Yes to the former. The decision is the Act 1 quest "At the Crossroads".

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Someone mentioned earlier that the Witcher 2 soundtrack can be extracted from the game files - that the mp3 files basically sat in a directory.

I can only find some .fsb files in the music directory.
Is there a way to get to the individual soundtrack files?

Edit: Steam version

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 6, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah, download them off GoG. Unless there is music that is in the game but isn't in the soundtrack?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Neither Roche or Iorveth are really Geralt's bros. In this world, you can only trust dwarfs.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cheston posted:

So basically, alchemy as a specialization is no longer "boring swordplay with overpowered stats," it's more "that drunken kung-fu fighting style from Jade Empire."

Alchemy does look like the most fun playstyle... I think I'll go for a full potions/mutation/trial of grasses build and just be completely useless when not jacked up.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Bad combat, lack of relevance to the story, added after the game came out?

Little of column A, little of column B and a little of column C.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Xander77 posted:

Just out of interest, what made the community (or at least the threads on SA) distinctly disinterested in the Arena? Bad combat, lack of relevance to the story, added after the game came out?

I didn't like it because I had to go through 'Witcher Training' again. I only found the arena palatable with mods that gave me multiple talents and the training tree already filled out. I really hope that part of the skill tree is eliminated in the third and we can just start investing points where we want

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Combat was the least entertaining part of W2 for me, found it bad and a step down from W1. Folks already mentioned the unresponsive controls, personally I also hated how you can just get stun locked or mauled from behind so easily. Just played the game on easy and with mods that give more talents for each level too.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Dapper Dan posted:

I didn't like it because I had to go through 'Witcher Training' again. I only found the arena palatable with mods that gave me multiple talents and the training tree already filled out. I really hope that part of the skill tree is eliminated in the third and we can just start investing points where we want
I'm sorta hoping we're going to start with the "how not to be utter poo poo" talents already filled out, and the actual skill tree will be dedicated to making us really good at specific tasks. It's game three - we can assume Geralt has the basics of hitting people with sharp objects and rolling away down.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
I just desperately wanted to not be lovely to either Roche or Iorveth as they are both the coolest of bros. So I decided to go with Iorveth as on his path you still get to run in to Roche and whilst he's not exactly chummy with you he still helps you out and is mostly cool with you.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So I've played both games but never read the books - was Ciri ever referenced in either game? Because I don't recall her ever being. Obviously I have a good idea of who Yennefer is, but here's this girl who looks exactly like Geralt and is super important and has never been mentioned before to my knowledge, it's kinda weird.

Could anyone post a brief primer on her?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Sure. Here you go.

Seriously. Do you remember the ice apocalypse that Jacques foresaw at the end of Witcher 1? That's pretty much an established fact in-setting.

A child of the elder blood can somehow avert that - heal a dying world. The Wild Hunt hails from such a world, which is why they're looking for Ciri. Emhyr once looked for her for largely similar reasons. As to what happens when either side finds her, supposing they manage to subdue her... who knows. It won't be pretty though.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Hakkesshu posted:

So I've played both games but never read the books - was Ciri ever referenced in either game? Because I don't recall her ever being. Obviously I have a good idea of who Yennefer is, but here's this girl who looks exactly like Geralt and is super important and has never been mentioned before to my knowledge, it's kinda weird.

Sure, Ciri, was referenced in Witcher 2 - for example the flashback story when Geralt chills with Yennefer on that magical island and the Wild Hunt kidnap her (towards the end of Act 1).

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Xander77 posted:

I'm sorta hoping we're going to start with the "how not to be utter poo poo" talents already filled out, and the actual skill tree will be dedicated to making us really good at specific tasks. It's game three - we can assume Geralt has the basics of hitting people with sharp objects and rolling away down.

This is the case.

...I've watched way too many preview videos.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I think W3 does a really excellent job of informing the player about all the *relevant* details of characters, which mostly comes down to the relationships between the characters instead of deep-diving into lore and character abilities. W3 really feels like the first game in the series that is welcoming of people new to the franchise.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Sure. Here you go.

Seriously. Do you remember the ice apocalypse that Jacques foresaw at the end of Witcher 1? That's pretty much an established fact in-setting.

A child of the elder blood can somehow avert that - heal a dying world. The Wild Hunt hails from such a world, which is why they're looking for Ciri. Emhyr once looked for her for largely similar reasons. As to what happens when either side finds her, supposing they manage to subdue her... who knows. It won't be pretty though.

I was under the impression the Wild Hunt just wants Ciri so they can evacuate all the elves before the ice age happens.
Plus, there's this entire deal in the prophecy with her grandchild ruling the entire world or whatever.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I think W3 does a really excellent job of informing the player about all the *relevant* details of characters, which mostly comes down to the relationships between the characters instead of deep-diving into lore and character abilities. W3 really feels like the first game in the series that is welcoming of people new to the franchise.

I was expecting (and hoping) it to be this. It looks like this game is the culmination of everything CDPR has learned in gaming making and are -now- able to make the game they want to actually make. 19th can't come quick enough.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Xander77 posted:

Sure. Here you go.

Hm, interesting. Is that implying that it wasn't Geralt that died in Brenna but Ciri?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Coen died at Brenna, Geralt got stabbed during racial riot.

Orv
May 4, 2011

alex314 posted:

Coen died at Brenna, Geralt got stabbed during racial riot.

Witcher Panic a legitimate legal defense on The Continent.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

No. A bunch of secondary and tertiary characters died at Brenna, but Ciri and Geralt were both elsewhere at the time. Yennifer sacrificed her life to save Geralt after he was killed in an entirely separate incident, and Ciri moved them both to Avalon(?)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
PS4 footage for those that were asking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1HPulLdatI

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

What's even better Geralt got shanked by some peasant in Rivia, the province he pretends to come from.

In other Witcher news, I've finally caved in and bought CE from some loving rear end in a top hat that charged me 60% extra. Thanks CDP for making sure there's not nearly enough CE for everyone.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Xander77 posted:

No. A bunch of secondary and tertiary characters died at Brenna, but Ciri and Geralt were both elsewhere at the time. Yennifer sacrificed her life to save Geralt after he was killed in an entirely separate incident, and Ciri moved them both to Avalon(?)

Why exactly do you keep putting music videos at the end of your posts.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I just got to Act 5 in Witcher 1. I have no idea what is going on. Everything is going to hell but everyone is acting like the city burning and war in the streets is no big deal, like it happens annually or something. It feels poorly constructed in general. It doesn't help that it seems like game stability has taken a nosedive. My game has crashed 4 times now despite regularly cleaning out the save files. I don't know if I'm going to be able to finish it at this rate or if I'll just run out of steam.

On that note, should I play through Witcher 2 on dark? I hear you get special equipment on it, but I haven't touched the game in over a year and have probably forgotten how to be competent at it.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Broose posted:

Everything is going to hell but everyone is acting like the city burning and war in the streets is no big deal, like it happens annually or something.

:poland:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Looks very nice on PS4, some tree/shrub popin and LOD switching when you're fast on the horse but otherwise as good as it gets with an AMD 7870.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Broose posted:

I just got to Act 5 in Witcher 1. I have no idea what is going on. Everything is going to hell but everyone is acting like the city burning and war in the streets is no big deal, like it happens annually or something. It feels poorly constructed in general. It doesn't help that it seems like game stability has taken a nosedive. My game has crashed 4 times now despite regularly cleaning out the save files. I don't know if I'm going to be able to finish it at this rate or if I'll just run out of steam.

On that note, should I play through Witcher 2 on dark? I hear you get special equipment on it, but I haven't touched the game in over a year and have probably forgotten how to be competent at it.

Dark isn't really that much harder than Hard. You have to make sure you have all the components for the Dark equipment you want and will probably have to do some money runs with respawning monsters, which is tedious.

• Locked thread