Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Joementum posted:

hes_catching_on.gif

Rand Sprawl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

lmao the comments

Jeb is going to be ripped apart by the other candidates for treating hispanic people like people.

Jebthro is the greatest thing maybe Jebrito?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
CBS / NYT poll

Top one here got cut off in the screenshot, but it's Rand Paul.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
How can 44% of Republicans not know if they'd even consider voting for Santorum? His sweater vest campaign went the runner up distance last time.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/06/u...56&pgtype=Blogs

New NYT/CBS Poll Highlights:

- Hillary still narrowly leading the pack by 50 points ahead of 2nd place Elizabeth Warren (poor Bernie)
- 3% of Americans could see themselves supporting Lincoln Chafee
- Walker is the most widely liked candidate among Republicans. Christie the most disliked.
- Bush has a large minority who won't support him, but still leads.
- Almost half (!!!) of all Republicans say the U.S. should deport all illegal immigrants.
- Hillary is 50/50 on trustworthiness; does very well on strong leader and experienced.
- People still really like Bill Clinton
- People think "other" is the most important issue facing the U.S.
- Rubio, Bush, and Walker have the highest potential ceilings.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 5, 2015

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/06/u...56&pgtype=Blogs

New NYT/CBS Poll Highlights:

- Almost half (!!!) of all Republicans say the U.S. should deport all illegal immigrants.

- People think "other" is the most important issue facing the U.S.

a large portion of america is indeed afraid of Others

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

How can 44% of Republicans not know if they'd even consider voting for Santorum? His sweater vest campaign went the runner up distance last time.

A lot of people claim that they need to know a lot about politicians to truly make an informed decision as a mask for their lack of participation in or knowledge of politics. "Hmm I don't know, I'd have to do some more research on the issues" is a polite way of saying "I don't know or care." Politicians make all of their stances simple and easily understood, or at least try to, and with a few years of working at it you can see what people are really saying behind face value.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Four Score posted:

The candidate isn't viable because the people won't vote for him because the candidate isn't viable...

If they were truly viable, they'd be running as a Democrat.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Hillary Clinton’s Appeal Survives Scrutiny, Times/CBS News Poll Says

quote:

Americans now view Mrs. Clinton more favorably and as a stronger leader than they did earlier in the year, despite weeks of scrutiny about her ethics, a New York Times/CBS News poll has found. And nearly nine in 10 Democrats say the nation is ready to elect a woman president.

quote:

Mrs. Clinton remains a polarizing figure — nearly the same percentage of Americans view her positively as negatively — but her favorability rating has improved by nine percentage points since the disclosure in late March that she did not use a government email account as secretary of state.

It is commonly repeated in this thread that Hillary has become somewhat immunized against Republican attacks - this polling helps confirm that notion. I think it's going to be difficult to get traction with negative campaigning against Hillary, and I am curious to see if even routine Republican voters start to tune out Clinton attacks. BENGHAZI!

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Joementum posted:

hes_catching_on.gif

Madagascar's already closed its ports.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Grey Fox posted:

Madagascar's already closed its ports.

drat you. I was so close to posting this.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Joementum posted:

CBS / NYT poll

Top one here got cut off in the screenshot, but it's Rand Paul.

:munch: Those numbers are setting us up for a pretty drat vicious Republican primary season. Lotsa potential for negative campaigning there. Seems to me that the election might be won by whoever can get the most people voting for them just to spite other candidates.

Also Rubio's looking really strong, but I wonder if that just means he's the first to get a shot at driving the clown car and will get shoved aside the second he either outlines anything concrete or has someone go negative on him.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment

Daduzi posted:

:munch: Those numbers are setting us up for a pretty drat vicious Republican primary season. Lotsa potential for negative campaigning there. Seems to me that the election might be won by whoever can get the most people voting for them just to spite other candidates.

Who is "us"?

So spite will beat the democrats/liberals/progressives/cheap imports/sheep in this election? Heavy. And appropriate.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Daduzi posted:

Also Rubio's looking really strong, but I wonder if that just means he's the first to get a shot at driving the clown car and will get shoved aside the second he either outlines anything concrete or has someone go negative on him.

Yeah those numbers seem to imply that a good third or more of primary voters are still undecided, and that's a lot of room for attack ads and all manner of dirty tactics to gain ground.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

wontondestruction posted:

Who is "us"?

So spite will beat the democrats/liberals/progressives/cheap imports/sheep in this election? Heavy. And appropriate.

Us is everyone who gets to sit back and watch the clusterfuck.

Its really turning out like that too, I'm shocked how many people are jumping in. I think this will end up like 2008 where they have to leave a bunch of people who would normally clear the bar (think Cox at that time) out of debates just so that the heavy hitters can get some space to talk.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cantorsdust posted:

Yeah those numbers seem to imply that a good third or more of primary voters are still undecided, and that's a lot of room for attack ads and all manner of dirty tactics to gain ground.

Which candidates have an illigitimate Obama baby which they've been hiding?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

people who were thought the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight wasn't violent enough.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

Us is everyone who gets to sit back and watch the clusterfuck.

What he said.

wontondestruction posted:

By "election" I just meant the Republican primary. I have no expectation that whoever emerges from the clusterfuck will have much of a shot at actually winning the presidency (barring unforeseen game changing events).

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Who else is even left in the "might announce" column? Trump and...?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Perry, Bush, and Walker haven't announced yet though everyone knows they will.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Badger of Basra posted:

Perry, Bush, and Walker haven't announced yet though everyone knows they will.

Also, given the surprisingly wide variety of crazy in the Republican party, I'm sure there's at least one person I've never heard of but is a congressman or something else that doesn't make it completely implausible to win the presidency, that thinks "my crazy is different from all these other crazies, maybe I have a shot" and announces.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Lindsey Graham, Snyder (made noise a few days ago but might have just been a trial balloon,) Christie.

edit: Sweet, new instantly recognizable avatar. And now rather than saying I love all Jews it says I am after one in particular.;-* I only wish that the guy who brought it had mangled the quote a little so that Bernie was saying that we were racing towards the edge of the cliff instead of running towards it.

edit2: And by "guy who brought it" I mean "admin who uploaded it", based on the title.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 6, 2015

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Christie is in a bit of a bad spot right now. Not only has the whole bridge thing just been introduced back into the headlines, but a deal he brokered years ago on state pensions has been shown to be unworkable. He now either has to clash with state unions and lose the centrist cred that was part of his appeal, or raise taxes to cover some of the pension costs and lose any hope of a Republican presidential nomination.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

In the case of Snyder/Kasich, do y'all think if one runs, the other sits out? I thought the trio of them plus Walker would be enough to narrow that slot down to one; I'm shocked that Snyder and Kasich are still considering jumping in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Christie is in a bit of a bad spot right now. Not only has the whole bridge thing just been introduced back into the headlines, but a deal he brokered years ago on state pensions has been shown to be unworkable. He now either has to clash with state unions and lose the centrist cred that was part of his appeal, or raise taxes to cover some of the pension costs and lose any hope of a Republican presidential nomination.

If he's hoping to be the Republican nominee, getting into a public fight with unions isn't a bad idea. Literally the only reason people outside of Wisconsin know who Scott Walker is, is because of how badly he hosed unions in Wisconsin.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Except if he gets into a fight with the unions in New Jersey he'll lose. Not that it really matters, he wasn't going to be winning this anyway. Might not even run, I only listed him because its a possibility.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Skwirl posted:

If he's hoping to be the Republican nominee, getting into a public fight with unions isn't a bad idea. Literally the only reason people outside of Wisconsin know who Scott Walker is, is because of how badly he hosed unions in Wisconsin.

Yeah it'd be a big boost among a lot of the base, but his whole deal has been that he's the "sane" "electable" potential candidate who would be able to cross the aisle and get stuff done. If he starts tilting away from that he kind of loses that thing that made him distinct among the other people mulling over a run. Though word is that he's got too many skeletons in his closet to ever have actually had a chance anyway.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I feel these numbers just say that it's too drat early and most primary voters don't give a poo poo.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Rorus Raz posted:

I feel these numbers just say that it's too drat early and most primary voters don't give a poo poo.

Whoa whoa whoa. Get out of here with your reasonable, well-considered hypotheses.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

as a Texas voter, my dad revealed to me his top two are Chris Christie and Mike Huckabee and this has remained unchanged for three years

i just

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Rorus Raz posted:

It's the "would NOT consider voting for" numbers that stand out for me. They're surprisingly high for this stage of the campaign, and suggest that possible voters are a) paying a surprising.amount of attention for this early in the process, and b) are horribly divided. Hence the potential for entertainment.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Aliquid posted:

as a Texas voter, my dad revealed to me his top two are Chris Christie and Mike Huckabee and this has remained unchanged for three years

i just

Its cool that he somehow picked both the most and least liked of the candidates

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Aliquid posted:

i just
They both have a talent for selling bullshit to an audience that shouldn't be receptive. I guess it works for the right as well as the mushy left.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Aliquid posted:

In the case of Snyder/Kasich, do y'all think if one runs, the other sits out? I thought the trio of them plus Walker would be enough to narrow that slot down to one; I'm shocked that Snyder and Kasich are still considering jumping in.

I have no idea, but I do wonder if Kasich is actually just trying to keep himself relevant enough to be a veep consideration without actually running. I think he's been on VP short lists before, and that seems more like the easy, cop-out bullshit he would pull rather than running a real campaign against real opponents. I don't think he's ever actually done that before (maybe vs. Strickland in 2010, but Strickland wasn't anything special) and I'm starting to wonder if he even has the guts for it.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Speaking of Kasich, I have a friend from Ohio who thinks he's decent. What terrible things has he done that I can use to disillusion my friend?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Kasich said he won't run until God tells him he should.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Kasich said he won't run until God tells him he should.

Everybody says that.

Kasich has positioned himself as a moderate and if he ran would campaign to the left of just about everybody but Jeb. His main sin is accepting the ACA medicaid expansion, bonus for not enacting Right-To-Work as soon as he entered office.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Aliquid posted:

Supposedly he won't run unless his wife says it's okay. So far she hasn't. She's non-existent as first lady of Michigan and hates politics because she might have to get close to dirty poors.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx
Is there any chance any of the Republicans who aren't invited to the big boy debates try to stage their own? Cause that would lead to even more hilarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
New Quinnipiac Iowa poll shows trouble ahead for Bush.

• Locked thread