Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Anoia posted:

I'm guessing that leads to people awkwardly exchanging glances and saying nothing.

actually you'll find he's still well accepted in online communities due to his talents of being able to spend upwards of eight hours a day grinding in an mmo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

sword_man.gif posted:

actually you'll find he's still well accepted in online communities due to his talents of being able to spend upwards of eight hours a day grinding in an mmo

jfc I hate mmo nerds

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

sword_man.gif posted:

dude in charge of the goon guild was defending a pedophile because "well it happened a long time ago" and "it happened in iceland anyways" and then a whole bunch of the guild got very :tinfoil: that it was an Imp Zone Plot with the help of the moderation staff of the something awful forums to destroy their guild

then they tried to sneak him back in under a different name because man, i know he's a kiddy diddler, but holy crap can he generate a lot of wool. that's not sarcasm or funnyman, that was seriously why.

you had people on their offsite forums detailing elaborate conspiracies about how the mods and the imp zone were working together to destroy their guild for...some...reason besides harboring a pedophile is gross

The imp zone shadow army is watching~~~~~~~~~

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Anoia posted:

jfc I hate mmo nerds

I'm an mmo nerd and I think it's abhorrent to think someone can be a child molester and an okay person, but maybe I'm just not hardcore.

Sorry, I don't want to slander someone. I mean child -or- teen. We need to be exact about this.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

sword_man.gif posted:

Are EVE goons that desperate for space wool?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Why the gently caress are you cupcakes talking about that poo poo when Wildstar is releasing HARDCORE CONTENT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uA7-w_wcQc
You can tell the people responsible for the old trailers are either long-gone or just can't afford to make them.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Rorus Raz posted:

Why the gently caress are you cupcakes talking about that poo poo when Wildstar is releasing HARDCORE CONTENT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uA7-w_wcQc
You can tell the people responsible for the old trailers are either long-gone or just can't afford to make them.

goons make better trailers than that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEKWpfov-Zg

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
And it only took a year for them to implement companion pets. At long last, you can have pre-existing models follow you around!

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
Are they putting the old costume system from beta back in? The one they took out cause it wasn't HARDCORE inventory management enough?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bmac32 posted:

Are they putting the old costume system from beta back in? The one they took out cause it wasn't HARDCORE inventory management enough?

I was wondering about that; didn't they already have that in place in the full release? I could have sworn they did.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Evil Mastermind posted:

I was wondering about that; didn't they already have that in place in the full release? I could have sworn they did.

They swapped it out for a shittier version either at the tail end of the beta or shortly after release for one that was much more obnoxious to use with fewer quality of life options. I think it was under the pretense that you could 'store' gear or something with the older version.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
Yeah, during beta they had a really nice system where you would just put the item you wanted a thing to look like in a slot then viola. There were I think 6? total costume tabs you could have by the time you hit 50. They took it out and replaced it with a horrible (( and you guessed it, buggy as poo poo )) version cause some people were using the original system as gear storage and it wasn't their "vision" to be used that way. I think it took them 2 months after launch for the newer system to work even partially correct.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Bmac32 posted:

Yeah, during beta they had a really nice system where you would just put the item you wanted a thing to look like in a slot then viola. There were I think 6? total costume tabs you could have by the time you hit 50. They took it out and replaced it with a horrible (( and you guessed it, buggy as poo poo )) version cause some people were using the original system as gear storage and it wasn't their "vision" to be used that way. I think it took them 2 months after launch for the newer system to work even partially correct.

Meanwhile Rift just updated to an actual good version of this type of system - every item you ever pick up gets saved in your 'wardrobe' and you can just pick a look at will from the equivalent of a drop-down choice. You don't even need to keep the item itself.

loving 'hardcore' games.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
FFXIV still has about the worst cosmetic system.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Wow's is only slightly better because you don't need to use player made items to do it, but at least wow has the excuse that implementing a new wardrobe system like rift would delete death knights because house of 15 year old engine programming.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Wow's is only slightly better because you don't need to use player made items to do it, but at least wow has the excuse that implementing a new wardrobe system like rift would delete death knights because house of 15 year old engine programming.

Wildstar's new one at least seem to do one thing interesting. The costumes are account wide, so you can dress up in gear meant for another class.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Meanwhile Rift just updated to an actual good version of this type of system - every item you ever pick up gets saved in your 'wardrobe' and you can just pick a look at will from the equivalent of a drop-down choice. You don't even need to keep the item itself.

loving 'hardcore' games.

This is literally the best system and all pretty princess games should loving adopt it ASAP.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

cthulhoo posted:

This is literally the best system and all pretty princess games should loving adopt it ASAP.

Yeah DC Universe Online did this, not sure if it was the first to do it but it had it in its base game and it was great. More MMO's should do it.

This still brings a huge silly smile to my face everytime I watch it :allears:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

WarLocke posted:

loving 'hardcore' games.

GW2 has this now too; every time you pick up a new item you get its "skin". The only downside is that you have to buy reskinning tokens in the gem shop.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

SWTOR 3.2 added some kind of transmog ripoff system.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Iron Tusk posted:

FFXIV still has about the worst cosmetic system.

Locking the cosmetic system behind achieving max level was dumb as heck.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Locking the cosmetic system behind achieving max level was dumb as heck.

They probably did it to protect new players from themselves. You can waste a lot of money glamouring your low level gear and then hit max level and have nothing to pay for upgrades to get past the initial ilvl hump. It's a decision in line with everything else they've done in the game.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

cthulhoo posted:

No, the actual best system was in City of heroes where your looks didn't connect with your 'gear' at all and you could have any look you wanted straight from character creation. :colbert:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

They probably did it to protect new players from themselves. You can waste a lot of money glamouring your low level gear and then hit max level and have nothing to pay for upgrades to get past the initial ilvl hump. It's a decision in line with everything else they've done in the game.

Yeah it makes sense since FF14 is "handholding, the MMO".

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

WarLocke posted:

No, the actual best system was in City of heroes where your looks didn't connect with your 'gear' at all and you could have any look you wanted straight from character creation. :colbert:

TSW has something like that, there's no stats on visible gear. I guess it's okay too.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

cthulhoo posted:

TSW has something like that, there's no stats on visible gear. I guess it's okay too.

Weapons still have stats, don't they? But yeah, your outfit is bits and bobs that you collect in the game, your "armor" is magic runes nobody can see.

I was pretty mad when beta ended and they took away my bitchin' mod jacket.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Weren't there costume components you had to unlock, like capes, sparklies and various doodads? Or am I thinking of champions.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

Weren't there costume components you had to unlock, like capes, sparklies and various doodads? Or am I thinking of champions.

Champions had costume drops from mobs, they unlocked account-wide though. And the game went big into the selling costume packs stuff. I think CoH started doing that near the end, but they had a more robust population and didn't have to resort to that for most of its lifetime.

Other than that I don't think there were any unlocked costume parts (scratch that, at first you had to do missions to 'unlock' capes and auras per character, but that was removed), you could literally look the same at 50 as you did at 1 because your costume didn't matter and all the options were available from the beginning.

I honestly think that was a large part of the appeal, people would spend hours just farting around in the costume creator because you could make almost any goddamn thing in it.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Or they could have not made it expensive?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Deki posted:

Or they could have not made it expensive?

They could have done a lot of things. I'm just saying what they did makes sense in the context of all of the other design decisions they've made.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

WarLocke posted:

That's very good of them, now they just need to add some armor that's not ugly as sin :v:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They could have done a lot of things. I'm just saying what they did makes sense in the context of all of the other design decisions they've made.

Glamour's are entirely player driven, which ties into them wanting to give crafters more ways to make money. (particularly in the lower/mid range). Which honestly most of the time a crafter makes money in FFXIV is by making extremely expensive gear that although functional is mostly used to look prettier.

I think the best example of a weird decision that makes sense in context is the relic weapon grind. On a game that isn't really that grindy you have a massive chain of quests with tons of grind. Most people going through the chain hate it. But a single :spergin: going through the chain helps dozens, maybe hundreds of newbies going through content for the first time, directly influencing their quality of life. Its that sort of design thats made FFXIV pretty popular.

On the other side you have games that just fail to retain new blood because their early leveling experience is a wasteland. (Like wildstar)

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Behold, the firs XIV defense post. More to follow, surely.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

In context it's still dumb, even Everquest 2 lets you use the cosmetic system with no level limit.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Glamour's are entirely player driven, which ties into them wanting to give crafters more ways to make money. (particularly in the lower/mid range). Which honestly most of the time a crafter makes money in FFXIV is by making extremely expensive gear that although functional is mostly used to look prettier.

I think the best example of a weird decision that makes sense in context is the relic weapon grind. On a game that isn't really that grindy you have a massive chain of quests with tons of grind. Most people going through the chain hate it. But a single :spergin: going through the chain helps dozens, maybe hundreds of newbies going through content for the first time, directly influencing their quality of life. Its that sort of design thats made FFXIV pretty popular.

On the other side you have games that just fail to retain new blood because their early leveling experience is a wasteland. (Like wildstar)

The relic grind made me quit the game because it was the only way of getting good equipment besides being on the bleeding edge of raiding

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

FFXIV does a lot that's great but the glamour system is not one of them. It could stand to be retooled from the ground up.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Belzac posted:

Behold, the firs XIV defense post. More to follow, surely.

this thread has only ever had two jokes, wildstar bad and ff14 good

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

WarLocke posted:

You don't need to keep the item in Wildstar anymore either; the skin is saved across your account, so any character can use it without the item. The storage isn't infinite, but it's an improvement on the old system.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Cyster has returned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Cyster posted:

You don't need to keep the item in Wildstar anymore either; the skin is saved across your account, so any character can use it without the item. The storage isn't infinite, but it's an improvement on the old system.

How's the city revamps coming?

• Locked thread