Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Also hopping on the "not a big fan of ET or Close Encounters" train, though I do like War of the Worlds decently enough.

:agreed:

Even when it came out as a kid I hated ET. I haven't watched it in decades probably, but I don't remember liking it ever. Close Encounters I've seen recently and it just falls totally flat for me. WotW though is quite underrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The climax of Close Encounters is absolutely amazing, I don't understand how someone could be unaffected by that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The climax of Close Encounters is great, but everything surrounding the climax is just... eh.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

precision posted:

Even when it came out as a kid I hated ET. I haven't watched it in decades probably, but I don't remember liking it ever. Close Encounters I've seen recently and it just falls totally flat for me. WotW though is quite underrated.

I feel the exact opposite in every regard: loved ET as a kid, rewatched Close Encounter recently and still think it's great, but War of the Worlds did nothing for me (I'm a big fan of the 50's version, though).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think A.I. is an under-appreciated masterpiece.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Basebf555 posted:

I think A.I. is an under-appreciated masterpiece.

I think AI is a turgid boring piece of poo poo, it's a rainbow of emotion!

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Godammit stop discussing good movies and tell me what to watch on Netflix instead.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

magnificent7 posted:

Godammit stop discussing good movies and tell me what to watch on Netflix instead.

A Touch Of Sin.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

magnificent7 posted:

You should watch 13 Assassins.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Basebf555 posted:

You should watch 13 Assassins.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

magnificent7 posted:

Oh poo poo wait I thought you were talking about A Touch Of Evil.

I'll check this out. Thx.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hot Fuzz.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Speilberg's War of the Worlds has some memorable scenes in it but I felt it was ruined by the happy family reunion in the ending scene until I decided that it was just a repeat of Gladiator and Tom Cruise actually died near the end of the movie and he's just coming home to his dead family.

Anyway I just found out a few days ago that Amazon made a pilot episode of a Man in the High Castle TV series a few months back and it's actually really good, and you can watch it for free: http://www.amazon.com/The-Man-High-Castle-HD/dp/B00RSGIVVO

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

magnificent7 posted:

Ida or Holy Motors or Death Wish

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

magnificent7 posted:

Left Behind starring Nicholas Cage in his most what are you doing Nicholas don't you have any standards anymore man role yet

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

magnificent7 posted:

Saturday Night Fever

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

cat doter posted:

Left Behind starring Nicholas Cage in his most what are you doing Nicholas don't you have any standards anymore man role yet

Does he put his full effort into it? If he doesn't then his spirit is finally crushed, which I wouldn't want to see because it would make me sad.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Does he put his full effort into it? If he doesn't then his spirit is finally crushed, which I wouldn't want to see because it would make me sad.

I have no idea, the day I willingly watch a left behind movie is the day my spirit is finally crushed

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm kind of tempted just because Nic Cage hamming it up is always entertaining, but there's a pretty good chance he's phoning it in for the paycheck a la Season of the Witch.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

That Works posted:

Looking back at Spielbergs wiki I forgot about Empire of the Sun and really dug that one as well.

gently caress yeah! Empire of The Sun is a brilliant, amazing film. Every dad should show that to their young sons.

Just like every mom should show Spirited Away to their young daughters.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

gently caress yeah! Empire of The Sun is a brilliant, amazing film. Every dad should show that to their young sons.

Before or after Die Hard?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DangerDummy! posted:

Before or after Die Hard?

Empire of the Sun first to teach them about life, then Die Hard to teach them that sometimes you just have to run around barefoot and shoot some terrorists.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

magnificent7 posted:

The French Connection.
New Nightmare, too. Of the 4 Elm Street movies I've seen, it's my second-favorite. It would make a good meta-horror double-feature with Scream, which is also up

This too.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Saturday Night Fever

I didn't know if this one was good or if it was just remembered for its soundtrack and being a slice of the 70's. I'll have to give it a go if you're recommending it.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I sent people into mild craze by disliking x files, and now there's loads of people saying et and close encounters were bad, you lot are insane. Insane!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I sent people into mild craze by disliking x files, and now there's loads of people saying et and close encounters were bad, you lot are insane. Insane!

X-Files is really really dated. Like that body swapping 2-parter that people say is standalone is just incredibly cringeworthy.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

computer parts posted:

X-Files is really really dated. Like that body swapping 2-parter that people say is standalone is just incredibly cringeworthy.

Gave it a fair go and it's all really bad. Meh. There's so many other good things to watch.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

computer parts posted:

X-Files is really really dated.

So is Close Encounters but it's still rad.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I didn't know if this one was good or if it was just remembered for its soundtrack and being a slice of the 70's. I'll have to give it a go if you're recommending it.

it's legit great. it deserves to be mentioned alongside all the other New Hollywood classics. a very different movie than its reputation suggests. although, yes, the soundtrack is bitchin'.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 6, 2015

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I'll show Die Hard AND Spirited Away to my daughter, screw you guys.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Saturday night fever is a top film, I've never understood why so many people have missed it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I definitely wouldn't say bad.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Asnorban posted:

I'll show Die Hard AND Spirited Away to my daughter, screw you guys.

Father of the Year

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's legit great. it deserves to be mentioned alongside all the other New Hollywood classics. a very different movie than its reputation suggests. although, yes, the soundtrack is bitchin'.

yup, went in expecting a cheesy campy fun movie and it was about rape and gang violence.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
If you're into podcasts there's one called The Canon where two film critics take a movie and ask if it should be added to "the canon" of great movies. Two weeks ago they did Saturday Night Fever, it's a really good listen and breakdown of the film if you have an hour. CHECK IT OUT!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If you're into podcasts there's one called The Canon where two film critics take a movie and ask if it should be added to "the canon" of great movies. Two weeks ago they did Saturday Night Fever, it's a really good listen and breakdown of the film if you have an hour. CHECK IT OUT!

This sounds like a good idea for a podcast. Are the hosts good? I hate getting my heart broken with podcasts.

Oh wait: Devin Faraci. Hit or miss.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The episode I listened to was Not Good, but it was the first one so maybe they've rounded into form a bit. Though funnily enough it was the other host I didn't really care for.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This sounds like a good idea for a podcast. Are the hosts good? I hate getting my heart broken with podcasts.

Oh wait: Devin Faraci. Hit or miss.

I don't have any exposure to either him or Amy outside of the podcasts so even at the worst I can still tolerate them for an hour or so each week. The latest one about Pretty in Pink was really good and interesting.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Saturday Night Fever is good but Stayin' Alive (not on Netflix I don't think) is so many levels of odd that I like it more. Plus it has the greatest song ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAuL_noJLoo

Edit

Also I interpret the ending of the film as him returning to his home planet.

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 6, 2015

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Sly Stallone directed it, of course it's mental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

thedaian posted:

Anyway I just found out a few days ago that Amazon made a pilot episode of a Man in the High Castle TV series a few months back and it's actually really good, and you can watch it for free: http://www.amazon.com/The-Man-High-Castle-HD/dp/B00RSGIVVO

Holy poo poo, I knew this was in the works but had no idea the pilot was already out. Thanks! :tinfoil: :hf: :tinfoil: