Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the richest 16,000 families own 16 trillion. If we nationalise their estates and distribute them to the poorest 30,000,000 million americans, we can give each person over like $500,000.000 which should be enough to go to school, but a house, etc. It would do wonders for the economy too.

Way better than raising the minimum wage, good point ASDF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

euphronius posted:

the richest 16,000 families own 16 trillion. If we nationalise their estates and distribute them to the poorest 30,000,000 million americans, we can give each person over like $500,000.000 which should be enough to go to school, but a house, etc. It would do wonders for the economy too.

Way better than raising the minimum wage, good point ASDF.

If you nationalize their estates the first thing that will happen is the value of all those assets will crash and you'll be left with a mishmash of physical property you can't even find people to operate effectively, much less a liquid sum you can redistribute. It'd be horribly inflationary but you're better off just printing $500,000 per person and sending them a pallet of $1 bills.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well I guess that we could send poor people 500,000 each but then we would still have ultra rich people which is a problem you are not addressing. My plan is perfect in that it addresses both problems.

Or we could just raise the minimum wage.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

wateroverfire posted:

If you nationalize their estates the first thing that will happen is the value of all those assets will crash and you'll be left with a mishmash of physical property you can't even find people to operate effectively, much less a liquid sum you can redistribute. It'd be horribly inflationary but you're better off just printing $500,000 per person and sending them a pallet of $1 bills.

Also, some Chinese guys recommended letting schoolchildren beat their teachers to death, apparently this is a great step towards correcting the abuses of capital.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

wateroverfire posted:

oh no mansion prices are plummeting! google's worthless without it's billionaire leaders!

lol if you think any significant portion of wealth is tied up in a "mishmash of physical property"

for sucking the dick of the rich in this thread you really don't know much about being rich do you?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

on the left posted:

Also, some Chinese guys recommended letting schoolchildren beat their teachers to death

Sounds like a bad idea. Let's not.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

asdf32 posted:

So let's be clear that minimum wage can be expected to transfer some wealth but it does it really poorly. Significant chunks of the additional wages come from middle and lower class owners/consumers, not rich people.

Which is why I highly doubt anyone in this thread who supports minimum wage supports ONLY minimum wage. This is a stupid argument to make and is further evidence of watermelon buggery.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
look archangel is there ANYTHING I can say that allows me to take the moral high ground AND still lets my dad pay his employees like poo poo?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

wateroverfire posted:

Wait, I thought the rich spent and invested their money, maintaining its velocity which is why we were supposed to support the wealth of the rich. Now you are saying it is the opposite and that they are literal economic parasites. You can't have it both ways, Pinochet.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

archangelwar posted:

Wait, I thought the rich spent and invested their money, maintaining its velocity which is why we were supposed to support the wealth of the rich. Now you are saying it is the opposite and that they are literal economic parasites. You can't have it both ways, Pinochet.

Spoken like someone barely smart enough to be angry but not nearly smart enough to be successful.

D&D.txt.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
They can't spend or invest their money because they've bought a "mishmash of physical property" to hold their wealth

wateroverfire posted:

Spoken like someone barely smart enough to be angry but not nearly smart enough to be successful.

D&D.txt.

:ironicat:

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
What's the rate of return on a mishmash of physical property or do you have to have a Goldman broker to buy in?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

down with slavery posted:

What's the rate of return on a mishmash of physical property or do you have to have a Goldman broker to buy in?

In the like past 5 minutes of posting I made maybe $200.

Does that make you jelly?

#YesAllCapitalists

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

wateroverfire posted:

spoken like a true poor person

$200? lol

you'd have to pay me at least a few orders of magnitude more to post the poo poo you have

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Wateroverfire, what mechanism generates growth in an economy?

Hint: the answer is very simple

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

wateroverfire posted:

#YesAllCapitalists

Just $200? Maybe you aren't the captain of industry I thought you were.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

wateroverfire posted:

#YesAllCapitalists

Cool, but I am going to be taxing those capital gains though (if it ever amounted to much).

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

$5 mil per year is pretty weak bub.

Jamie Dimon makes $20 mil.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

VitalSigns posted:

When the minimum wage was higher, wealth inequality was lower.

That's not solid evidence, but since the correlation is the opposite of what you're suggesting, you should probably substantiate it with...something that's not pulled straight from your rear end.

Buddy I siad it does transfer wealth. Just badly compared to taxing and spending. So your evidence is completely consistent. Although about a million things were sl different in the past including tax rates.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

asdf32 posted:

Buddy I siad it does transfer wealth. Just badly compared to taxing and spending.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_is_the_enemy_of_good

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Let's abolish all labor laws because full communism will solve all those problems anyway.

And now we wait...

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Sinnlos posted:

$5 mil per year is pretty weak bub.

Jamie Dimon makes $20 mil.

Don't hate I'm still a Young Carnegie

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

asdf32 posted:

Buddy I siad it does transfer wealth. Just badly compared to taxing and spending. So your evidence is completely consistent. Although about a million things were sl different in the past including tax rates.

Good luck getting taxing and spending legislation passed. Upping the EITC phase out would go way further towards redistributing income but has a much smaller chance of getting traction. Also it's coming from the government rather than the private sector, so it should (ideally) be made up with taxes which incur a cost of public funds.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

#YesAllCapitalists

I've built up a mental image of your workplace over the past few threads.

I'm imagining Wonka's factory, you drinking from a river of cash, employees scurrying to and fro asking "daddy may I" while the bronzed ovaries of your liberated equal-pay-earning women float lazily by.

...and Pinochet is off beating peasants in the corner or something I guess idk

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The likelihood over a minimum wage increase passing congress is higher than the large increases in social spending/taxation you would need to replace it with. This is even more true at the state level.

States are already increasing their minimum wages, while the likelihood of a robust safety net being constructed is about 0%. A minimum wage increase is also far better than doing nothing.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Sinnlos posted:

Wateroverfire, what mechanism generates growth in an economy?

Hint: the answer is very simple

It's simple breh. People take risks to invest in enterprises that become productive and provide the things that amount to our real wealth, and the jobs that allow the circulation of that wealth.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

I've built up a mental image of your workplace over the past few threads.

I'm imagining Wonka's factory, you drinking from a river of cash, employees scurrying to and fro asking "daddy may I" while the bronzed ovaries of your liberated equal-pay-earning women float lazily by.

...and Pinochet is off beating peasants in the corner or something I guess idk

It's like that but with more grab rear end because I don't live in prudish gringoland.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

It's simple breh. People take risks to invest in enterprises that become productive and provide the things that amount to our real wealth, and the jobs that allow the circulation of that wealth.

So would you agree that the exchange of capital is the mechanism that generates economic growth?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Sinnlos posted:

So would you agree that the exchange of capital is the mechanism that generates economic growth?

If by that you mean it's the transformation of capital into productive enterprise mediated by the entrepreneurial risk taking of the capitaist and aspiring capitalist classes, then yeah.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

wateroverfire posted:

I normally try and not make assumptions about people in real life based on their posting because that is loving stupid. Hell, I would probably have a great time drinking a beer with asdf32. But this is some cartoony Monopoly man poo poo right here.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

archangelwar posted:

I normally try and not make assumptions about people in real life based on their posting because that is loving stupid. Hell, I would probably have a great time drinking a beer with asdf32. But this is some cartoony Monopoly man poo poo right here.

I find that often when something sounds outrageous to me the problem is with the assumptions through which I am listening.

Just something to consider.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

archangelwar posted:

To be fair what he is describing is a part of how a capitalist economy works, and if you want the full story multiple economists ranging from Adam Smith to Marx to Schumpeter to Keynes have literally wrote thousands of pages on it so it's not exactly going to fit in a D&D post.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

If by that you mean it's the transformation of capital into productive enterprise mediated by the entrepreneurial risk taking of the capitaist and aspiring capitalist classes, then yeah.

I think that you are ignoring the necessity of consumption to fuel growth. You can invest all you want but you need a way to generate returns.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

wateroverfire posted:

#YesAllCapitalists

hahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

that right there might be the most pathetic post in the history of D&D, and that takes some doing

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

wateroverfire posted:

I find that often when something sounds outrageous to me the problem is with the assumptions through which I am listening.

Just something to consider.

Yet you edited it to sound less cartoony Monopoly man. I can appreciate a man who recognizes when he twirls his moustache.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

that right there might be the most pathetic post in the history of D&D, and that takes some doing

Who is the bigger fool - the fool who posts, or the fool who posts about it?

Makes you think.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

archangelwar posted:

Yet you edited it to sound less cartoony Monopoly man. I can appreciate a man who recognizes when he twirls his moustache.

Ummm. That post wasn't edited are you sure you're not thinking of someone else?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

#YesAllCapitalists

why, did they all finish at the same time? how do you keep your hands free BTW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

wateroverfire posted:

Who is the bigger fool - the fool who posts, or the fool who posts about it?

Makes you think.

lol not only are you stupid you are a complete churl as well

• Locked thread