Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Geriatric Pirate posted:

it's not a strawman, people in this thread actually argued that welfare benefits are a subsidy to walmart because the government helps feed their workers

i'm failing to see how these same people wouldn't complain about free education being a subsidy to microsoft because the government helps educate their workers

If it's not a strawman then go quote the person who said that free education is an unfair subsidy for corporations. Go find that post and bring it here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

wateroverfire posted:

I'm kind of slightly left of center bro. I think we've all learned something valuable about you from your post.

I like how you attempt to self identify as something that could not possibly be further away from your supported policies because you are ashamed of the truth and possibly not being accepted as a cool kid on the internet. This also explains your need to pretend to have a higher income than anyone else.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

wateroverfire posted:

I became numerate and tbh have found that much more useful.

oh word?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

archangelwar posted:

I like how you attempt to self identify as something that could not possibly be further away from your supported policies because you are ashamed of the truth and possibly not being accepted as a cool kid on the internet.

Once again, a post that is actually a mirror.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

srs dog.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

archangelwar posted:

I like how you attempt to self identify as something that could not possibly be further away from your supported policies because you are ashamed of the truth and possibly not being accepted as a cool kid on the internet. This also explains your need to pretend to have a higher income than anyone else.

Maybe he's actually French.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

wateroverfire posted:

LOL yeah when you look at the numbers no it isn't.

Yeah I do.

Chile use a different set of time standards then?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

QuarkJets posted:

If it's not a strawman then go quote the person who said that free education is an unfair subsidy for corporations. Go find that post and bring it here

Ensuring WalMart can pay low wages is just as socially necessary as an educated workforce.

There, now I said it.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Gravel Gravy posted:

Chile use a different set of time standards then?

We're GMT-3 right now.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

twodot posted:

Right, and I explained that basic education skills are something that is transferable so why should we expect the first company that happens to hire them to pay that cost up front?
edit:
I mean where does this reasoning lead? Should the first company that hires someone be forced to back pay for their k-12 education? Obviously not.

I'm not the one that actually agrees with it (or with food stamps being an unfair subsidy to walmart), so I can't tell you how the minds of left wingers here work

Seems a bit strange to say something is not a subsidy because you can't accurately charge that subsidy to any specific company though. All companies that hire the guy benefit from his skills, so they all benefit from something tax payers have done.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

wateroverfire posted:

Once again, a post that is actually a mirror.

I'm like rubber and you're like glue - a real post by wateroverfire

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
hey point of order why are a scandinavian and a chilean so concerned about american minimum wage.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

paranoid randroid posted:

hey point of order why are a scandinavian and a chilean so concerned about american minimum wage.

a threat to job creators somewhere is a threat to job creators EVERYWHERE

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
are ya'll part of the same Dumbfuck Foreign Exchange that keeps getting Niall Ferguson and Nigel Farage speaking gigs over here

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

a threat to job creators somewhere is a threat to job creators EVERYWHERE

Must ensure a lower class exists to look down upon, how else could I look at myself in the mirror?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

archangelwar posted:

I'm like rubber and you're like glue - a real post by wateroverfire

The post modern idea that commentary says more about the commentor than the subject is candy to super-duper senior cultural studies majors, I thought.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I'm not the one that actually agrees with it (or with food stamps being an unfair subsidy to walmart), so I can't tell you how the minds of left wingers here work

Seems a bit strange to say something is not a subsidy because you can't accurately charge that subsidy to any specific company though. All companies that hire the guy benefit from his skills, so they all benefit from something tax payers have done.
Ah, in that sense, yes it's a subsidy, but it's a good one because it decreases friction in hiring. Letting Walmart pay starvation wages and expecting the government to fix that is stupid. (Unless the fix is instituting a livable minimum income)
edit:
Earlier you were saying it's unfair, but it's not unfair to anyone to give people transferable job skills for free.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

archangelwar posted:

Must ensure a lower class exists to look down upon, how else could I look at myself in the mirror?

im pretty sure that just by looking at the average chilean, or south american in general, he'd see someone who gets by on less money than an american living below the poverty line

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

are ya'll part of the same Dumbfuck Foreign Exchange that keeps getting Niall Ferguson and Nigel Farage speaking gigs over here

niall ferguson is a fellow at the hoover institution (lol)

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

niall ferguson is a fellow at the hoover institution (lol)

i have to work in the hoover archives for a polish resistance fighter's writings, i hope i don't get bombarded with lolbertarian "think tank" crap when i go there

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Geriatric Pirate posted:

im pretty sure that just by looking at the average chilean, or south american in general, he'd see someone who gets by on less money than an american living below the poverty line

Most people here net less than 500.000 pesos per month. About $800 depending on the exchange rate.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

wateroverfire posted:

We're GMT-3 right now.

My bad, had a brain fart.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

wateroverfire posted:

This seems like Citation Needed if ever the phrase applied.

Government funding of higher education pays for itself 7.5 times over

Here are some more sources that reinforce this idea:
https://www.bostonfed.org/commdev/c&b/2008/spring/Trostel_invest_in_higher_ed.pdf
http://www.nytimes.com/ref/college/collegespecial2/coll_aascu_povcohen.html
http://www.wiscape.wisc.edu/docs/wiscapedocuments/wp006.pdf?sfvrsn=2

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
is this the thread where we pretend to care about the global poor so we can complain about liberals

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Geriatric Pirate posted:

please help im a complete moron who doesnt understand what cost of living is

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Popular Thug Drink posted:

is this the thread where we pretend to care about the global poor so we can complain about liberals

This is the thread where we talk about known leftist ideals such as:

Capitalism
Privatization
Reducing labor protection
Inconveniencing poors

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
this might not be exactly what you were looking for but have you considered The Joint Dictatorship of the Proletariat of Exploited Nations, by Shubel R. R. Morgan

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

this might not be exactly what you were looking for but have you considered The Joint Dictatorship of the Proletariat of Exploited Nations, by Shubel R. R. Morgan

Don't see how effective it can be if it doesn't fit on a bumper sticker

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

That result is muuuuuch less robust than Trostel is claiming and the other sources are just as bad.

As Trostel himself notes, but tries to dismiss, many students attend school with partial or no public assistance and the true cost of free education is paying for all the people who could have and would have paid for themselves in the absence of the subsidy. Additionally he ignores two pertinent effects - 1) the cohort of students who are willing to pay or undertake a commitment to pay for a college degree are likely different in motivation and ability than those who are not, and 2) the value of degrees obtained in a market saturated with credentials may be substantially less than he assumes for his calculations of the lifetime tax contributions of graduates.

Additionally, the vast majority of the benefit is enjoyed privately by the students in the form of higher earnings. Why the gently caress shouldn't they pay some out of their share.

Hardly a slam dunk.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

its being called a subsidy because walmart is able to pay their workers unsustainably low wages, that do not meet basic day-to-day needs. the cost of things like food is then being passed onto the taxpayer.

No you're calling it a subsidy because you've been indoctrinated into a market/business-centric outlook which you don't understand and wouldn't agree with if you did. Or you're propagandizing. But I'm not willing to give you that much credit.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

asdf32 posted:

No you're calling it a subsidy because you've been indoctrinated into a market/business-centric outlook which you don't understand and wouldn't agree with if you did. Or you're propagandizing. But I'm not willing to give you that much credit.

Have you ever hosed a watermelon?

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

wateroverfire posted:

Additionally, the vast majority of the benefit is enjoyed privately by the students in the form of higher earnings. Why the gently caress shouldn't they pay some out of their share.

Hardly a slam dunk.

That's what progressive taxation is for you colossal imbecile. If a student benefits a lot with a higher salary, they in turn pay more to allow others to do the same.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

asdf32 posted:

listen buster the only thing ive been indoctrinated into is the worship of baal melqart and unless were discussing brazen bulls and the sacrifice of babies therein, i fail to see how thats immediately relevant to this loving awful thread

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Ocrassus posted:

That's what progressive taxation is for you colossal imbecile. If a student benefits a lot with a higher salary, they in turn pay more to allow others to do the same.

If they're able to do that + pay some of the cost of that education that's even better from the state's perspective.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
also asdf im really enjoying your gimmick of being a sniffy, ideologically vague, prick. its a high level technique.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

listen buster the only thing ive been indoctrinated into is the worship of baal melqart and unless were discussing brazen bulls and the sacrifice of babies therein, i fail to see how thats immediately relevant to this loving awful thread

Is kindergarten a Wal-Mart subsidy?

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

wateroverfire posted:

If they're able to do that + pay some of the cost of that education that's even better from the state's perspective.

That's what a higher income tax is for. Student pays nothing upfront, if they get a good job, then they contribute towards it. Some will pay nothing, some will pay something, and the lucky few will subsidise the rest.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

asdf32 posted:

Is kindergarten a Wal-Mart subsidy?

I dunno, have you ever hosed a watermelon asdf? It's a simple yes or no

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I dunno, have you ever hosed a watermelon asdf? It's a simple yes or no

not only did he gently caress it, he blasted it with a shotgun to demonstrate how the clintons killed vince foster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Ocrassus posted:

That's what a higher income tax is for. Student pays nothing upfront, if they get a good job, then they contribute towards it. Some will pay nothing, some will pay something, and the lucky few will subsidise the rest.

Eh how many different times can you double dip the progressive taxation angle?

"Here's your subsidized loan. Make the most of our investment in you because you have to pay it back" is more efficient, more fair, and less likely to result in people dicking around after an expensive education.

• Locked thread