Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

bobvonunheil posted:

That reminds me, I just wrote a thing about the thread's favourite word

This is really really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

bobvonunheil posted:

That reminds me, I just wrote a thing about the thread's favourite word

Ooh, very nice. I read through some of your game reviews too, I like your style a lot.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The idea that Fun is subjective and needs to be articulated better is great.

The other hurdle is getting people to accept the fact that different things can be fun to different people for different reasons. I'm honestly not sure which is the higher hurdle :goleft:

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, sounds like he just wants to win games, not play them.

Yeah, I hate your friend. You can tell him that. From me, a stranger on the internet.

I would respect him more if he actually tried to solve it and became the malevolent Viticulture grandmaster champion of the world who spent his days crushing new players with his undefeatable killer strats, but his unwillingness to figure out the strategy of a relatively easy-to-learn game then ragequit when no one will drag him to the finish line is a straight shot to the PlaneGuy poo poo-list.

I would also accept "I just don't get this game guys and don't enjoy it can we play something else" before the game started.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
A meetup I go to had a number of new players show up and a couple of them were just terrible. Not rude but just slow and :effort: and playing with them was just an ordeal.

Sadly my wife and another person (who seemed smart and capable) also chose that night to be their first try at the meetup. Neither have been back since. Terrible first impression.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

jivjov posted:

Ooh, very nice. I read through some of your game reviews too, I like your style a lot.

Cheers! You'd be surprised how hard it is to write reviews when you don't allow yourself to use the word 'fun'.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I've been trying to draft some reviews with the intention of starting a gaming blog sometime, and it's super hard to avoid writing reviews that just say 'I enjoyed or didn't enjoy $game' - it's also done a lot to make me realise WHY I like the games I like.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

ruining the game for everyone rather than just saying "I'd rather not play this."

I cannot emphasize how important saying this is. I have played a lot of games.

More importantly, I have figured out the types of games that I like and I play those, and avoid playing games I'm very sure I'm not going to like.

My weekly game group has about 30 regulars, and there are many games that are always present, and played pretty much every week. I don't like a lot of these games, and my being very vocal in saying "no thanks, that game's not for me, but you all enjoy it" is a fantastic way to save everyone time and make sure everyone including me enjoys themselves more.

Don't play games you don't like. It's not worth it for anyone!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Malloreon posted:

I cannot emphasize how important saying this is. I have played a lot of games.

More importantly, I have figured out the types of games that I like and I play those, and avoid playing games I'm very sure I'm not going to like.

My weekly game group has about 30 regulars, and there are many games that are always present, and played pretty much every week. I don't like a lot of these games, and my being very vocal in saying "no thanks, that game's not for me, but you all enjoy it" is a fantastic way to save everyone time and make sure everyone including me enjoys themselves more.

Don't play games you don't like. It's not worth it for anyone!

At smaller groups, that actually can offend people.

Literally, saying "Eh, I'll just sit this one out, it's not a game I like" can send people into a frenzy to convince you to play, and get very titchy if you refuse.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I absolutely loathe games like the Resistance, especially in my Tuesday group. Ironically, because of that same player, he has to "solve" every round and man if I wanted to unwind with Malaysian logic puzzles I'd just be a Malaysian elementary schooler or something. Although with that game I actually can't even be around it because just hearing him play makes me seathe with rage hotter than the fire of a thousand suns.

There have been a few game nights where we accidentally just didn't play any games and instead hung out and abused the Chromecast for stupid youtube videos, and after the fact talking with a friend and we kind of agreed that if Tuesday game night is actually hanging out time, we'd really rather not just hang out with that one guy.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I kind of actively try not to play Dominion too much because it's legit my mom's favorite game and she beats me at it pretty frequently and as much as I like the game I don't want to play a bunch and outpace her when she doesn't have time to put in a bunch of hours into it.

Although maybe she is sandbagging me and playing on her own time :tinfoil:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Sinewave posted:

The other hurdle is getting people to accept the fact that different things can be fun to different people for different reasons. I'm honestly not sure which is the higher hurdle :goleft:

First you must convince me that any of you exist at all! As a solipsist, I do not believe other people can have opinions about fun, my opinions are the only ones in existence, and I will continue believing so until proven otherwise. :colbert:

silvergoose posted:

At smaller groups, that actually can offend people.

Literally, saying "Eh, I'll just sit this one out, it's not a game I like" can send people into a frenzy to convince you to play, and get very titchy if you refuse.

Well it is pretty rude, it looks like a passive aggressive way of getting people to stop playing the game. Sulking in the corner as everyone else has fun might encourage people not to play that game in the future to avoid another tantrum. Suck it up buttercup and play a round, then suggest something else after.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, in a smaller group, reciprocity is essential to actually being able to play some games. If you only have 4 or 5 people around typically and the game works best at those numbers, it can be a bummer if someone refuses to play it. I like to learn new games more than the people I play with so I usually butter them up by playing whatever they request in exchange for them learning something new with me. You scratch my back, I scratch yours.

In a bigger group though, yeah I could see being picky.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

First you must convince me that any of you exist at all! As a solipsist, I do not believe other people can have opinions about fun, my opinions are the only ones in existence, and I will continue believing so until proven otherwise. :colbert:

Well it is pretty rude, it looks like a passive aggressive way of getting people to stop playing the game. Sulking in the corner as everyone else has fun might encourage people not to play that game in the future to avoid another tantrum. Suck it up buttercup and play a round, then suggest something else after.

I'm sorry but no. If everyone wants to play a game I hate (agricola), I am going to sit it out. Generally speaking I will either go on the food run or beer run or hang out and talk to/play a different game with someone who is also not playing the main game.

Different people enjoy different things, and I am not hurt if the group decides to play Argent and one person wants to sit it out or if the group wants to play Agricola and I decide to sit it out.

When you actively dislike/hate a game, you make bad decisions and can really gently caress up the flow of the game. A perfect example of this is Kemet. If someone doesn't enjoy the game, they are likely to be in last place, thereby determining turn order. Turn order is supposed to be a balancing mechanic of the game, and if the person who is making the decisions on turn order is not invested, they well choose randomly (this has happened). This will give ruin the games catch up mechanic.

The person might not even intend to do it, but if you arent invested, you make worse decisions and can drag a table down, be polite and sit it out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Rutibex posted:

I like to accommodate others' tastes when picking games to play. Sometimes with a small group there's a game I want to play that someone else doesn't. No biggie, there's a ton of other games to choose from that we'll all enjoy and I can play said game another time. I imagine most reasonable people are the same way and would rather play a game they may not enjoy as much but still enjoy in general with everyone than exclude a person or two.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Another example where a disengaged player ruins it. Steam Barons (and I imagine most stock manipulation games) requires players to interplay off each other in the stock market, and when one player just pouts in the corner and doesn't engage with the game, it's a worse experience for everyone than if that player just wasn't playing.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

FISHMANPET posted:

Played Viticulture again last night, after we picked turn order for the first year, one of the players, whose played 2 or 3 times now but keeps asking "what should I do now?" decided there were two many choices and ragequit.

Still trying to get a finger on him as a player. I don't think he likes playing games, he just likes solving them and winning them.

Anyone who ragequits a game is an rear end in a top hat who takes board games too seriously. We had a guy in my group who would do this, and I just hated having him around. There were lots of excellent games I wouldn't even bring to the table if he was around because they were too confrontational. Someone once accused him of being a Cylon in Battlestar Galactica, and after pleading his case that he wasn't a Cylon he got so pissed off that he flipped his cards over to prove to everyone that he wasn't. This guy also walked out on a game of Citadels because somebody destroyed one of his buildings.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm apparently pretty adept at getting people to ragequit games. I got someone to ragequit Coup because I...coup'ed him. I also got someone else to ragequit Imperial Settlers because I destroyed his trade routes as Japan because he was first and I wanted that sweet sweet gold. Thinking back, I think the first thing I heard this guy say at the meetup was something along the lines of "I'm not racist, but..."

Both people are examples of human garbage that I refuse to play with again despite them being regulars to the board game meetup and likely driving potential people away with their garbageness.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Anyone who ragequits a game is an rear end in a top hat who takes board games too seriously.

As someone who takes board games very seriously I assure you it's just 100% being an rear end in a top hat.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

The worst board game experience I've had was in a four player Game of Thrones game where one person decided they didn't want to play 2 rounds in. As far as I remember they didn't even say anything, they just sat at the table and stopped doing things, and wouldn't place order tokens even when told that in order for the game to continue they would have to do so. It didn't help that I had driven for almost an hour to go and play that game. It's not the first time she's stopped actively participating in a game partway through, and I won't play a game with her again if I can help it - fortunately she's a friend of a friend who I only see very occasionally.

I know you're trolling but this

Rutibex posted:

attitude is toxic. If you don't want to play a game, say so and don't play it because otherwise there's a good chance spoil it for everyone. I mean, I dislike Mage Knight very strongly and I've let the people I play with know, so if they want to play it I'll aim to turn up after it's finished rather than drag down their experience.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I almost ragequit a three hour game of Zombies!!! but I didn't because I'm a trooper.

By hour two, I had moved two blocks but was about to win. Then someone played the 'go back to start' card completely undoing the previous two hours and causing the game to last an additional hour. And I didn't ragequit. I felt very zen.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

cenotaph posted:

As someone who takes board games very seriously I assure you it's just 100% being an rear end in a top hat.

I wouldn't even say it's necessarily being an rear end in a top hat. It suggests a lack of willingness or ability to control their own temper, which would be some combination of emotional problems and lack of understanding of social decorum.

I get very invested in games and when things go bad for me in a game I'm taking seriously, whether due to severe bad luck or some other source of perceived unfairness (like people working against me because they think I'm winning while I disagree) I can feel my temper start to flare, but it rarely comes out as more than snippiness or passionate argument because I am a grownup and I can recognize when my brain is being unreasonable.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I've only rage quit once I think it was called neptun or something like that it was supposed to be an hour long but after two we we're only half way through it. No one was enjoying it and my ride back home was planning to leave.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I ragequit Star Trek The Next Generation Deckbuilder borg coop-scenario when after three hours the final boss appeared and then moved to the bottom of the deck. It's a single deck, we were about halfway through the deck after all that time, the deck moved glacially, and no cards had bee worth purchasing for an hour by that point. What an awful game.

One time I saw someone fake-ragequit a game of The Resistance as a ploy to get one of the other spies onto the last mission.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Our board game group basically stopped working primarily because it was small and we wound up always having one person or another who'd refuse to play any given game. BSG was the big exception... until we all burned out on it and stopped playing board games.

It's really only the release of new games that nobody has gotten a chance to dislike yet that gives the group a real chance of working again.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

admanb posted:

I wouldn't even say it's necessarily being an rear end in a top hat. It suggests a lack of willingness or ability to control their own temper, which would be some combination of emotional problems and lack of understanding of social decorum.

I get very invested in games and when things go bad for me in a game I'm taking seriously, whether due to severe bad luck or some other source of perceived unfairness (like people working against me because they think I'm winning while I disagree) I can feel my temper start to flare, but it rarely comes out as more than snippiness or passionate argument because I am a grownup and I can recognize when my brain is being unreasonable.

Well yeah but those are generally the symptoms of assholeishness.

I hear you on the being targeted while not a threat thing. That really annoys me.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Rutibex posted:

There's a difference between telling people you'll bow out vs. "sulking in a corner". Is there a geek friend fallacy about everybody having to participate in everything? It's like game groups that refuse to split into smaller groups of 3-5 and then can only play 7 Wonders and Party poo poo; you probably aren't that interested in playing games.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Crackbone posted:

Is there a geek friend fallacy about everybody having to participate in everything?

Yuuuuuuuup

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, that is one of the big ones. Not understanding that you can't please everyone all of the time, and that's okay.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The way I see it, there's always going to be games I like that people in my group don't, and games they like that I don't, and it's only fair that I occasionally suck up and play something I dislike so long as they do the same for my favorites. Otherwise it's too easy to end up in a situation like Corbeau's group where you're kind of stuck for anything to play and burn out on the few choices you have available, especially when you've got over 4 people.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

admanb posted:

It's not feeling angry because somebody betrayed you or whatever that makes you an rear end in a top hat, it's acting like an rear end in a top hat. The key part about what you said was the last part where you acted like a grownup and controlled your temper.

I think most people have felt like you've felt, and everyone has had to soldier through a game gone horribly wrong at one point or another. I remember one time years ago when Dominion was still new and we were playing it non-stop I had a friend who kept loading up on those '+ action + card' cards and his turns would go on and on forever. I started joking about it but honestly it was actually really annoying me for some reason (which is stupid, I may have been tired or hungover or something I don't really remember). I kept bitching and bitching until I could tell he was getting angry. That's when I (internally) thought to myself 'wtf are you doing man' and shut my mouth. Now I basically try to listen to that internal voice before that angry snippiness starts to build up any momentum. It was tested pretty harshly with my last Caverna game that lasted about 6-8 hours (and I was out of it for the last 2), but everyone has their limits.

I also think it's bad for people to take anything that happens in a board game personally (How could you attack me? We're friends!). This is why I will rarely every play any Game of Thrones type of games with my wife, as even though she knows better she still feels hurt if I attack her in any game. Luckily my group finds most of that backstabbing kind of stuff hilarious.

At the end of the day I think the golden rule is to try and be the type of player that you would want to play with again.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I was bitching about a game of Clinic. Gawd that game takes for loving ever and it is not the kind of game I want to play ever again. And I was bitching too much, and my friend was supporting the game too much (he didn't want to acknowledge the issues I was having, not that I blame him after he paid $120 for it). Fortunately I realized it and apologized before permanent damage could be done.

It happens sometimes. I just work at looking at myself through others eyes and make sure they see something positive or at least neutral.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I quit my first and only game of Bioshock Infinite because I got bored and kept wishing I was playing Kemet instead. I was losing but I would have played it out if I had even the remotest sliver of interest left. The other guy was pretty chill about it, though. The next week I got him to play Kemet and I doubt he even remembers he owns BI anymore.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Crackbone posted:

There's a difference between telling people you'll bow out vs. "sulking in a corner". Is there a geek friend fallacy about everybody having to participate in everything? It's like game groups that refuse to split into smaller groups of 3-5 and then can only play 7 Wonders and Party poo poo; you probably aren't that interested in playing games.

Geek Social Fallacy #5

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I ragequit a game once but I am not ashamed of it.

It was a first time playing a more complicated worker placement game. We were ~75 minutes in to what turned out to be a 100-120 minute game in future playthroughs.

One player announced suddenly, out of the blue, that he had to leave.

Then, with his final turn, he used every single resource he had to destroy everything I'd built, reducing me to basically starting resources, cause he said later, "it looked like you were winning."

I stopped right there and packed it up.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Malloreon posted:

I ragequit a game once but I am not ashamed of it.

It was a first time playing a more complicated worker placement game. We were ~75 minutes in to what turned out to be a 100-120 minute game in future playthroughs.

One player announced suddenly, out of the blue, that he had to leave.

Then, with his final turn, he used every single resource he had to destroy everything I'd built, reducing me to basically starting resources, cause he said later, "it looked like you were winning."

I stopped right there and packed it up.

I'm struggling to think of what game this is. Manhattan Project or Dominant Species? Not many worker placements let you blow things up.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bubble-T posted:

I'm struggling to think of what game this is. Manhattan Project or Dominant Species? Not many worker placements let you blow things up.

Good one, it was Manhattan Project. Note this was a fairly competitive small group. We had a website where we tracked plays and wins by each player.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Lottery of Babylon posted:

One time I saw someone fake-ragequit a game of The Resistance as a ploy to get one of the other spies onto the last mission.

hahaha my uncle pulled this over xmas in Avalon it was masterful

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

T-Bone posted:

hahaha my uncle pulled this over xmas in Avalon it was masterful

Both of these people own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I once quit a game 2/3rds, because I had played so poorly there was literally nothing of any impact I could do in the last of 3 rounds. I don't remember the name, but I had too much debt or something, so I excused myself.

I sometimes regret not ragequitting, though. By hour 5 of a 7 hour Agricola, I imagine most of you would do it.