Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
think this means we're gonna see a unity government, there's no way King Bibi is gonna be happy with a 1-seat majority.

Although Lieberman is almost certainly playing to the gallery, news came out over the weekend of Hamas and Israel close to agreeing on a hudna that might actually give Gaza a break for a change.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/.premium-1.654429

quote:

The goal is to extract a commitment to a humanitarian cease-fire from Hamas, perhaps accompanied by third-party guarantees. Hamas would promise to refrain from any hostilities against Israel for a given period, possibly three to five years. In exchange, Israel would significantly ease its partial blockade on Gaza and take other steps to help Gaza’s economy. Later – though this seems unlikely – Israel might even reconsider ideas it has rejected in the past, like letting a seaport be built in Gaza under external supervision.

At the moment, Hamas seems readier to accept a deal than Israel is. Some Israeli defense officials think it’s better to continue the status quo, with minor changes, than to tie Israel’s hands with rigid obligations.

But the principle obstacle is Hamas’ military wing. On Wednesday, the Israeli media reported that military wing leader Mohammed Deif, who survived an Israeli assassination attempt during last summer’s war, had resumed full-time activity. Deif dragged Israel and Hamas into the last conflict by planning a tunnel attack near Kerem Shalom in early July, then escalating after the army thwarted the attack.

Since the military wing is currently at loggerheads with the political leadership and has also renewed its ties to Iran, one can confidently assume it isn’t enthusiastic about the idea of a long-term truce. Thus, as the negotiations progress, the chances of the military wing launching attacks on Israel in an effort to thwart it increase.

Don't think Lieberman would flip tables over this though - either he thinks the coalition is already doomed and wants to get in on the ground floor of being Mr. Right Wing, or Bibi didn't promise to nuke his party's corruption trials from orbit.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
Are new settlements that serious of a controversial issue within the Israeli government? I thought even the left wing Israelis were okay with it.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Lieberman bowing out seems to have given Bibi the leeway he needed to finish up coalition talks. Earlier today, only Shas and Jewish Home were holding out. Now, Shas has signed:

quote:

PM @netanyahu caves in to Shas, gives @ariyederi a 3rd ministry. He'll be Economy, Religious Affairs & Negev & Galilee Development Minister.

Deri is economics and religion minister. Shas has a deput finance minister. Plus 0 VAT on basic food items, public housing, higher min wage

And Bennett has been sent an "unprecedented offer":

quote:

Liked says they offered Bennett Education, Diaspora and Security Cabinet membership + Agriculture + Culture & Sport incl lottery (toto), Deputy Defense Minister in charge of Judea and Samaria, Knesset Constitution C'tee, increased Education budget

All signs point to Likud keeping the Foreign Ministry for themselves.

SNAKES N CAKES fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 4, 2015

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Job Truniht posted:

Are new settlements that serious of a controversial issue within the Israeli government? I thought even the left wing Israelis were okay with it.

Left-wing Israelis are most definitely not OK with new settlements, and all five of them agree it's a bad idea when they get together at the bar.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lum_ posted:

think this means we're gonna see a unity government, there's no way King Bibi is gonna be happy with a 1-seat majority.
Talking heads report (at my parents place, I value my health too much to watch it myself):

Shelly is already blasting Tzipi over the probable unity government.

Evette is backpedaling like a champ, claiming that his accomplishments in legislating a smaller, more secular government ("we were fighting the bureaucracy for our constituents!") being overturned is the main issue here.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Lieberman is as charmingly a dumb racist as ever.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/israel/.premium-1.654978

quote:

"The coalition will have to make deals with MKs from the Arab List before each vote, or they won't pass any legislation"

yes, that's exactly what's going to happen.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

http://www.breakingthesilence.org.il/protective-edge

My favorite israeli NGO released a bunch of damning testimony from veterans of last year's bomb gaza extravaganza. Pro clicks.

stealth edit: gently caress lieberman.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Job Truniht posted:

Lum_ posted:

Left-wing Israelis are most definitely not OK with new settlements, and all five of them agree it's a bad idea when they get together at the bar.
Hey now, Zehava Gal-On, Ilan Gilon, Issawi Frej, Michal Rozin, and Tamar Zandberg deserve every second of bar time they can get given the daily status of Israeli politics.:colbert:

Semi-seriously, the Meretz party not only opposes new settlements, but also supports paying Israeli residents settlers of the West Bank to leave willingly:

Meretz posted:

Any solution must be based on two states for two nations with a border based on pre-1967 lines with agreed-upon land swaps, and include an end to the conflict through a regional solution based on the Arab Peace Plan, the Meretz platform states.

The party sees UN recognition of a Palestinian state as a pathway toward negotiations and calls for the following immediate steps to be taken: Stopping settlement construction, paying Israeli residents of the West Bank to leave willingly and removing the naval blockade on the Gaza Strip in a gradual and coordinated way.

“If there is no diplomatic agreement within two years, the world will force one on Israel,” Gal-On said. “We cannot reach negotiations from a position of disadvantage, with international sanctions. That will weaken us and our ability to insist on security arrangements.” By building settlements, the government “is not only wasting our money on bizarre adventures in the territories, but it is laying thousands of explosives to blow up the idea of two states and dividing the land,” she said.
Now if only Meretz had any kind of serious pull and influence in Israeli politics.:smith:

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Meretz is the party 90% of the posters here would vote for, and the party 4% of Israelis voted for. It's actually a minor miracle they made it into the Knesset (and their platform near the end was "please don't let us die" :smith: )

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Quote of the Night: "Israel must eliminate racism" - PM Netanyahu

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Israel must eliminate racism*

*between Jews, Arabs and other races are still inferior according to our laws.

Ah, the bizarre poo poo that apartheid states get up to.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

I dunno the latest news about freezing settlements, and negotiating truce with hamas to ease the siege on gaza look positive, at least, maybe give him the benefit of doubt :v:

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Looks like Netanyahu's chickens are coming home to roost: now Jewish Home is threatening to bolt. If they do, no government (unless somehow Labor comes on board at the 11th hour).

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Politics-And-Diplomacy/Bayit-Yehudi-demands-Justice-portfolio-ahead-of-coalition-deadline-402180

quote:

Bayit Yehudi leader Naftali Bennett demanded Tuesday evening as a condition to join the next coalition that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu appoint MK Ayelet Shaked as the next justice minister.

Bennett's demand came ahead of Wednesday's midnight deadline to inform President Reuven Rivlin with that he has formed a new government.

According to Channel 2, Bennett called for an immediate notification that his faction's requirement would be met.

Likud sources have said that there were no intention of accepting Bennett's demand.

The best part: according to this story on Arutz-7 (which leans heavily pro-Bayit Yehudi) Bennett REALLY wanted Netanyahu to freak out.

quote:

Likud tried throughout the day on Tuesday to contact Bennett after the minister went "under the radar" and switched his cell phone to airplane mode.

Amazingly, when you piss off everyone you deal with, they find ways to get you back.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 5, 2015

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lum_ posted:

Looks like Netanyahu's chickens are coming home to roost: now Jewish Home is threatening to bolt. If they do, no government (unless somehow Labor comes on board at the 11th hour).

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Politics-And-Diplomacy/Bayit-Yehudi-demands-Justice-portfolio-ahead-of-coalition-deadline-402180

The best part: according to this story on Arutz-7 (which leans heavily pro-Bayit Yehudi) Bennett REALLY wanted Netanyahu to freak out.

Amazingly, when you piss off everyone you deal with, they find ways to get you back.

Isn't Ayelet Shaked an insane racist?

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Pushing for an attractive female Justice minister with two Haredi parties in the coalition makes it seem like Bennett is also looking for a graceful exit from government.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Isn't Ayelet Shaked an insane racist?

no more so than anyone else in Jewish Home yes

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/07/israeli-politician-declares-war-on-the-palestinian-people.html

“They are all enemy combatants, and their blood shall be on all their heads. Now this also includes the mothers of the martyrs, who send them to hell with flowers and kisses. They should follow their sons, nothing would be more just. They should go, as should the physical homes in which they raised the snakes. Otherwise, more little snakes will be raised there.”

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Pushing for an attractive female Justice minister with two Haredi parties in the coalition makes it seem like Bennett is also looking for a graceful exit from government.

It's OK, the Haredi papers will just Photoshop her out.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lum_ posted:

It's OK, the Haredi papers will just Photoshop her out.

What Israel needs is a government made entirely and exclusively of secular atheist Arab women.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Hanin Zoabi as PM would definitely make a good many Israelis dissolve into component atoms from shock, yes.

http://mondoweiss.net/2015/04/haneen-answers-theodore

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 5, 2015

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Watching Bibi witness his own administration crumbling a mere month after usurping the vote is a wonderful sight to behold. :allears:

I wonder if he'll be ousted before the next elections...

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
If Netanyhau's election victory turns to ashes because of his angry former allies stabbing him the back it really will be the greatest loving thing.:circlefap:

Even if he brings Bennett on board (which I suspect will require him to totally cave to Bennett's demands), I can't see the resulting government lasting more than half a year before it collapsees.

New Division fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 5, 2015

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

New Division posted:

If Netanyhau's election victory turns to ashes because of his angry former allies stabbing him the back it really will be the greatest loving thing.:circlefap:

Even if he brings Bennett on board (which I suspect will require him to totally cave to Bennett's demands), I can't see the resulting government lasting more than half a year before it collapsees.

All it will take is one vote that Shas disagrees with.

And it's pretty much on the record that Aryeh Deri can be bought.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Man I thought the U.S. Politics and Freeper threads were depressing. I wanted to make sure I knew who you were talking about so I googled "Ayelet Shaked" and up pops a news story that says Bibi caved and she is going to be appointed Justice Minister and other stories about the Left in Israel freaking out over it. Then I googled "Haredi" and this story came up. So can the rest of the world drop the pretense and call Israel a theocracy; can the Wikipedia page on Theocracy be changed to include Israel now?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah, when Netanyahu and his US allies keep going on about Israel being recognized as a Jewish state, what did you think he meant?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
An ethno-nationalist state, like how the Palestinian Authority is defined? That's why it's disgraceful and should not be allowed.

Also, as anti-Arab and anti-immigrant as Likud is, Bibi doesn't actually hold any principles beyond holding on to power, and many of his supporters do only care about Jewishness and can very much be against racism towards Ethiopian Jews while supporting it against Arabs and non-Jewish refugees.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

radical meme posted:

Man I thought the U.S. Politics and Freeper threads were depressing. I wanted to make sure I knew who you were talking about so I googled "Ayelet Shaked" and up pops a news story that says Bibi caved and she is going to be appointed Justice Minister and other stories about the Left in Israel freaking out over it. Then I googled "Haredi" and this story came up. So can the rest of the world drop the pretense and call Israel a theocracy; can the Wikipedia page on Theocracy be changed to include Israel now?

Israel isn't a theocracy. The state is actively involved in religious affairs and actively privileges a specific religion, and religious-focused parties have disproportionate influence, but none of that is sufficient to be called a "theocracy".

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

radical meme posted:

England is an Anglican state; does that make England a theocracy?

Hell, if Israel is a theocracy, what do you call all its neighbors? Fascist theocracies?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

My Imaginary GF posted:

Hell, if Israel is a theocracy, what do you call all its neighbors? Fascist theocracies?

C'mon, man, it's like you're not even trying. When you're good you're good, and you've caught me innumerable times; don't get lazy.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I wish someone would bulldoze ayelet shaked's loving house and see how she felt about it.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

My Imaginary GF posted:

In practice the most theocratic problem an Israeli would have is probably difficulty getting a divorce, which is kind of the whole reason the Church of England exists, so no.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Israel is very much a country ruled by members of a specific religion, but that doesn't qualify it as a theocracy. The Jewish State refers to the Jewish ethnicity and not the religion, but, well, most Jews happen to be Jews. Israel is an ethnocracy, and that should surprise absolutely no one.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ultramega posted:

My favorite israeli NGO released a bunch of damning testimony from veterans of last year's bomb gaza extravaganza. Pro clicks.

stealth edit: gently caress lieberman.

So apparently no one clicked these? Site doesn't work right on my phone, so I was hoping someone else would go pick out the worst of the worst and post them here. Oh well, I can at least start it off with one of the few I can access.

quote:

But after 48 hours during which no one shoots at you and they’re like ghosts, unseen, their presence unfelt – except once in a while the sound of one shot fired over the course of an entire day – you come to realize the situation is under control. And that’s when my difficulty there started, because the formal rules of engagement – I don’t know if for all soldiers – were, “Anything still there is as good as dead. Anything you see moving in the neighborhoods you’re in is not supposed to be there. The [Palestinian] civilians know they are not supposed to be there. Therefore whoever you see there, you kill.”

Who gave that order?
The commander. “Anything you see in the neighborhoods you’re in, anything within a reasonable distance, say between zero and 200 meters – is dead on the spot. No authorization needed.” We asked him: “I see someone walking in the street, do I shoot him?” He said yes. “Why do I shoot him?” “Because he isn’t supposed to be there. Nobody, no sane civilian who isn’t a terrorist, has any business being within 200 meters of a tank. And if he places himself in such a situation, he is apparently up to something.” Every place you took over, anything you ‘sterilized,’ anything within a range of zero to 200 meters, 300 meters –that’s supposed to be a ‘sterilized’ area, from our perspective.

Did the commander discuss what happens if you run into civilians or uninvolved people?
There are none. The working assumption states – and I want to stress that this is a quote of sorts: that anyone located in an IDF area, in areas the IDF took over – is not [considered] a civilian. That is the working assumption. We entered Gaza with that in mind, and with an insane amount of firepower. I don’t know if it was proportionate or not. I don’t claim to be a battalion commander or a general. But it reached a point where a single tank – and remember, there were 11 of those just where I was – fires between 20 and 30 shells per day. The two-way radio was crazy when we entered. There was one reservist tank company that positioned itself up on a hill and started firing. They fired lots – that company’s formal numbers stood at something like 150 shells per day. They fired, fired, fired. They started pounding things down two hours ahead [of the entrance].

What did they fire at?
They were providing cover during the entrance [to the Gaza Strip]. They were shooting mostly at al-Bureij, which is a neighborhood with a dominant geographical vantage point, and is also a Hamas stronghold, according to what we were told. I don’t know exactly what they were firing at and what they were using, but I do know they were firing a lot, tearing down that neighborhood, tearing it down to a whole new level. About 150 shells per day. 

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Main Paineframe posted:

So apparently no one clicked these? Site doesn't work right on my phone, so I was hoping someone else would go pick out the worst of the worst and post them here. Oh well, I can at least start it off with one of the few I can access.

I skimmed some of it this morning but didn't feel up for any close reading; I like my mornings to start on a positive note.

That is one indiscriminate bastard of an RoE from where I'm sitting, but without knowing much about military procedure I can't tell whether or not it's relatively normal or Waffen-SS tier stuff. Someone clued into that poo poo will have to comment on it.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
It's not Waffen-SS tier. Civilians were not sought out specifically to be annihilated as a form of terror (as a Likudnik whose name escapes me said at the time of the war, "Look, if we wanted to kill millions of Gazans tomorrow, we could, but we haven't, so clearly we are moral!").

It is however a shocking lack of care for civilians caught in a war zone which veers many times over the line of war crimes - indiscriminate artillery and tank fire, long-rage sniping of civilians who clearly were no threat, etc. Not only was the area of ground force incursion treated, from the highest of levels, as a free-fire zone, troops were actively encouraged to expend all their ammunition as a sign of activity. This resulted in tanks firing randomly into apartment blocks, for example. Note that Gaza is one of the most densely populated places on earth.

The IDF's excuse to its own troops was that since civilians were told to leave via leaflet drops, there were no civilians in the area of engagement, and thus everyone in the area was an enemy combatant. The Geneva Conventions beg to differ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Geneva_Convention

On a positive note, Breaking the Silence also documents instances where individual IDF soldiers/officers decided on their own that their orders were criminal/immoral (something IDF soldiers are trained to do) and in those instances imposed their own rules of engagement.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 6, 2015

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Turns out the whole story about dropping pamphlets to warn civilians of an attack is useful as more than just propaganda -- you can make the nice argument that anyone who didn't leave after they were dropped is obviously an enemy combatant who can be shot on sight, regardless of the circumstances.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Bibi formed his coalition just in the nick of time, but basically had to give Bennett his demands

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/07/world/middleeast/netanyahu-israel-coalition-government.html

Guess a bad deal is better than no deal when it's your career on the line!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Lum_ posted:

It's not Waffen-SS tier. Civilians were not sought out specifically to be annihilated as a form of terror (as a Likudnik whose name escapes me said at the time of the war, "Look, if we wanted to kill millions of Gazans tomorrow, we could, but we haven't, so clearly we are moral!").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lehi_%28group%29

quote:

Lehi split from the Irgun militant group in 1940 in order to continue fighting the British during World War II. Lehi initially sought an alliance with Fascist Italy and Nazi Germany, offering to fight alongside them against the British in return for the transfer of all Jews from Nazi-occupied Europe to Palestine.[2] Believing that Nazi Germany was a lesser enemy of the Jews than Britain, Lehi twice attempted to form an alliance with the Nazis.[2] During World War II it declared that it would establish a Jewish state based upon "nationalist and totalitarian principles".[2][17] After Stern's death in 1942, the new leadership of Lehi began to move it towards support for Joseph Stalin's Soviet Union.[1] In 1944 Lehi officially declared its support for National Bolshevism.[6] It said that its National Bolshevism involved an amalgamation of left-wing and right-wing political elements – Stern said Lehi incorporated elements of both the left and the right[2] – however this change was unpopular and Lehi began to lose support as a result.[18]

Lehi and the Irgun were jointly responsible for the massacre in Deir Yassin. Lehi assassinated Lord Moyne, British Minister Resident in the Middle East, and made many other attacks on the British in Palestine.[19] On 29 May 1948, the government of Israel, having inducted its activist members into the Tzahal, formally disbanded Lehi, though some of its members carried out one more terrorist act, the assassination of Folke Bernadotte some months later,[20] an act condemned by Bernadotte's replacement as mediator, Ralph Bunche.[21] Israel granted a general amnesty to Lehi members on 14 February 1949. In 1980, Israel instituted a military decoration in "award for activity in the struggle for the establishment of Israel," the Lehi ribbon.[22] Former Lehi leader Yitzhak Shamir became Prime Minister of Israel in 1983.

OK, so Israel is only inspired by the Waffen-SS. Glad to hear it

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lehi_%28group%29

OK, so Israel is only inspired by the Waffen-SS. Glad to hear it

We're talking about what the IDF actually did last year, not what a paramilitary terror group did 70 years ago.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

New Division posted:

Guess a bad deal is better than no deal when it's your career on the line!

What this REALLY breaks the ground for is bringing Labor into the government as a fig-leaf foreign minister a la Barak, which is what Netanyahu wanted to do all along.

Best proof of this: if Netanyahu keeps the Foreign MInister portfolio for himself. No one to piss off in a month that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I wonder if Herzog would take that offer. Frankly, if this government hobbles along ineffectively for a few months and collapses, Netanyahu would probably be fatally weakened. Herzog might be better off waiting for new elections at some point in the near future. Though I suppose Herzog might feel he has to take the offer if he felt it was for the good of the country.

• Locked thread