Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Lol, comrade Charles...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
What the hell is going on here?
People are on peopleforbernie.com.

Some people have experience. Ready for warren, occupy, past small campaign assistance, etc...

Talks about empowering the various people.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I hear the reason Dick Cheyney has a metal heart is because Bernie Sanders tore the real one out with his bare hands during a budget subcommittee meeting.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Now Winnie is talking.

Also helped with ready for warren and occupy. Will talk about communication tools for campaign. Later though.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Justin talking

Also occupy man, working on ready for Bernie. Talks about fighting rich, connecting networks to build power electorally and in the streets.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Malta? From New York

Ran with various things. Talked about importance of people of color. Is grassroots coordinator for this campaign.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Shawna e. From Chicago, worked on chy Garcia and other stuff.

Has practiced people who are excited about Bernie, wants to help with social media, volunteers, and meet ups.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Jeff, works in comma, part of own, started ready for Bernie with Justin.

Wants a candidate who will fight for us.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i haven't been looking very hard but has anyone been making sincere arguments to support hillary over sanders other than "sanders can't win"?

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

the news media's overall take on Bernie seems like a more reserved version of what people are saying here. i wonder if the perception of Hillary as the sure fire winner will backfire in any way.

eh it's hard to picture Bernie actually winning the primary

the most recent left wing candidate in the democratic primary was Kucinich in 2004, who the left mostly rejected because he wasn't the most charismatic--he was perceived as too much of a "moonbeam" candidate. the left were more concerned with the electoral strength of the south and just beating bush and opted for the populist candidates howard dean and john edwards, both of which ended up loving over their political careers in the long run

there really isn't much precedent to go on because there hasn't been any other left wing candidate in the democratic primaries in modern history

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

jarofpiss posted:

i haven't been looking very hard but has anyone been making sincere arguments to support hillary over sanders other than "sanders can't win"?

not in the conference call of course btw

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
From folks who have been hosting meet ups.

Allan from Maui: 8 man meeting, same place as ows. Two people who ran for city council were there. People concerned, wanted to know what they needed to do, did some meet and greet, started Facebook page. Members surged after meeting.

Shawna for Chicago: planned 2.5 days out. Had mertup in closed restraint, had fliers and tweets, had people get up and speak as to why they are for Bernie. Looking for the next thing. New mertup this week. Spawning meet ups in their own areas.

Splitting people out into people interested in events or not. 1 for more info on events. I'll go that way.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Zev with some pretty solid shitposting in the form of conference call trip report

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

The Whole Internet posted:

the most recent left wing candidate in the democratic primary was Kucinich in 2004, who the left mostly rejected because he wasn't the most charismatic--he was perceived as too much of a "moonbeam" candidate. the left were more concerned with the electoral strength of the south and just beating bush and opted for the populist candidates howard dean and john edwards, both of which ended up loving over their political careers in the long run

there really isn't much precedent to go on because there hasn't been any other left wing candidate in the democratic primaries in modern history

Quite a lot of young people have come to voting age since 2004, I am already seeing people my age talking about Bernie with actual unironically excited tones. People who call all politicians snakes, I might add

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Lol, I just realized

Matey posted:

Zev with some pretty solid shitposting in the form of conference call trip report

Matey posted:

solid poo poo

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Whole Internet posted:

kucinich was in 2008 as well. i think you're right that there's little chance of sanders winning. but while i think it's safe to say that, it's not so easy to pin down what the potential scope of Sanders' impact on the election is.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
what happening now on the conference call

don't leave me hanging

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Fart Puzzle posted:

Quite a lot of young people have come to voting age since 2004, I am already seeing people my age talking about Bernie with actual unironically excited tones. People who call all politicians snakes, I might add

i'm friends with the most cynical people in the world and my enthusiasm is becoming slightly contagious. i think a lot of people are going to realize they aren't too cool for school after all and take this more seriously as it gains momentum. i've run out of patience with the don't care attitude in my circles and i think it's helping them realize it's good to give a poo poo, especially when there's a legitimate good cause to back.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

What did Becky from Kansas City say?

Miguel from Denver?

Jimmy from Lincoln?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

dig deep for bernie

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Sorry not trying to sound like a sarcastic dick

just trying to get my own shitposting juices flowing, all for the Bern man.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Had issues transferring people. Seems like they didn't test their conference call tool out well.

Trying to select public areas for people to get to and register it on the website to help with a Facebook page and drive turnout.

Shawna: successful events so far. Will be willing to help with any questions shawna@peopleforbernie.com
Has has a good experience so far. Try to get friends. Need to just take the plunge.

Other guys: talking about sanders legislation, have meetings about hat legislation and how to reach out to people and bypass the main stream media. Weather is nice this time of year.

Solicit people to get up and speak. Take videos and post them.

Question: backyard meetup, how to host events, get permits, etc. what resources are out there for bigger meet ups? How to do an event in a public space? What to say to people, cops, and neighbors? Location can determine things you need. Meet ups vs rallys determine, as well as geographic location. Indicated that someone developing something would be helpful. Said that lots of the contribution would have to come from participants.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

kucinich was in 2008 as well. i think you're right that there's little chance of sanders winning. but while i think it's safe to say that, it's not so easy to pin down what the potential scope of Sanders' impact on the election is.

my discussions irl have gone the direction of if you agree with this dude and would like to see him in the white house, who gives a poo poo about the odds. it's not like these people are presenting some sort of alternative to voting for him in the primary (other than not doing anything at all i guess). it's literally a "there's no chance he wins so what's the point" kind of attitude and i'm focusing on rallying them around there being literally no downside to pulling for him.

if sanders doesn't take the primary and become potus it doesn't make us mistaken for supporting and voting for him so gently caress the cynicism.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Went back to main call, having trouble transferring again.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Lost the moderator! Ha.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Zev posted:

Lost the moderator! Ha.

don't need no stinkin boss moderator. t his is a people's movement

Zev
Apr 3, 2009

jarofpiss posted:

my discussions irl have gone the direction of if you agree with this dude and would like to see him in the white house, who gives a poo poo about the odds. it's not like these people are presenting some sort of alternative to voting for him in the primary (other than not doing anything at all i guess). it's literally a "there's no chance he wins so what's the point" kind of attitude and i'm focusing on rallying them around there being literally no downside to pulling for him.

if sanders doesn't take the primary and become potus it doesn't make us mistaken for supporting and voting for him so gently caress the cynicism.

Agreed.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
what's most ironic is that Bernie's political success happened in Vermont... a state which historically was one of the most conservative and one of only two states that never voted for FDR

we have this narrative of red and blue states but the states are always changing. the reddest state in 1932 is now the bluest state

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
He came back, doing a q&a.

Lady from mini soda made a calendar. Wanted a bumper sticker design, or actual stickers.

Group has decided not to raise money for various reasons. Laws and such. Could work to connect people with suppliers.

They say that this is a rare thing in politics.

Encourage people to make this own merch. Will share images to others. Will provide graphics package.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Zev posted:

Other guys: talking about sanders legislation, have meetings about hat legislation and how to reach out to people and bypass the main stream media. Weather is nice this time of year.

Wait wait wait wait wait

hold the phone

I wouldn't say I'm necessarily a single issue voter, but this is very important to me: What is Bernie's hat legislation? If he tries to come after my hats I'll bern Vermont to the ground

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
More button chat. Find Union shops? Online Dropbox? Asked people for donations after passing out buttons.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Should I try to ask a question?

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
good article

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

MY LIFE FOR BERNIE!!!!~

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

Zev posted:

Should I try to ask a question?

ask if he has stairs in his house :D

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Gettin Bernie out to the military and students. Asked a guy who asked a question if he wanted to be co- chair for students for Bernie sanders.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

there should be an official bernie sanders organizing moderated forum or irc

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Vets need to back Bernie or they will be doomed to having their money stolen by mega churches and usaa loans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Gustavo about changing the course of history, wants more people to go to his meetup. Has 12 right now.

Advice to register throug social media. All Internet stuff. Pitched their own site people forbearance.com/99meetups they did help with meet ups that didn't seem to be gaining momentum.

• Locked thread