Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

UberJew posted:

Apart from how it appears to have worked and CFB will no longer be in possession of the piece. The sequence of events makes a whole lot of sense if she was telling the truth and CFB's pr statement is just a pr statement.

But it also makes sense from CFB's statement - a business that would hand over allegedly stolen property without even a police report is not a good business. Weber being willing to go public over it probably convinced them she's being sincere, even though it's not a smart move by her in the long term, but that doesn't mean that she doesn't still need some form of evidence to prove they were stolen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

JerryLee posted:

Well, I assumed she (reasonably) wanted her stolen items back, and not just transferred from CFB to the police. What I was saying is that I'm assuming the police, too, will require some evidence, which means that even though she's pressured CFB to turn them over to the police, she hasn't actually gotten closer to having them back than if she'd just furnished CFB with the evidence in the first place.

This is assuming that CFB isn't lying, but that would be pretty silly given how easy it'd be to catch them in the lie by, e.g., showing legal correspondence.

They don't need to be lying, there could just be a disagreement between them about what represents reasonable evidence, in which case handing it to the police as a theoretically disinterested third party is better for her than if they'd just kept it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Well, fortunately we know what CFB felt constituted reasonable evidence:

quote:

We replied that we were happy to return the artwork if Amy could provide reasonable proof that it was stolen (police report, insurance claim, registration of the art as stolen, etc.)

That doesn't seem particularly onerous to me. I mean they could be lying and have told Amy/her lawyer something completely different back when it all started, but I assume they're smart enough not to do that given that I'm sure this was official correspondence and Amy's lawyer would have retained some copies of it.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

JerryLee posted:

Well, fortunately we know what CFB felt constituted reasonable evidence:

That doesn't seem particularly onerous to me. I mean they could be lying and have told Amy/her lawyer something completely different but I assume they're smart enough not to do that given that I'm sure this was official correspondence and Amy's lawyer would have retained some copies of it.

One thing that is 100% clear is that there isn't a lawyer on her side, or none of this would have happened :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

UberJew posted:

One thing that is 100% clear is that there isn't a lawyer on her side, or none of this would have happened :v:

quote:

Following that conversation, Amy’s attorney contacted us asking that we return the artwork.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/353gpy/channelfireball_statement_regarding_amy_weber/ (from a post on the previous page)

She may not have a good lawyer but that's hardly CFB's fault.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

JerryLee posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/353gpy/channelfireball_statement_regarding_amy_weber/ (from a post on the previous page)

god drat

Dear Richard 'Lowtax' Kyanka...

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

odiv posted:

I can't wait until they do a show inspired by this on Law & Order: MTG.

only if there's an eminent domain episode

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Zoness posted:

only if there's an eminent domain episode

eminent domain is when you have one land of each color right?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I have a rules question. If I cast vexing devil, can I bounce him/flicker him in response to someone paying for his ability? Let them pay 4 life, and then in response bounce him and make them decide if 1/4th of their life is still worth keeping the creature off the field?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gensuki posted:

I have a rules question. If I cast vexing devil, can I bounce him/flicker him in response to someone paying for his ability? Let them pay 4 life, and then in response bounce him and make them decide if 1/4th of their life is still worth keeping the creature off the field?

once they decide the ability has already resolved

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

A lot of people just assume getting a lawyer to write a letter will scare someone into doing what you want. I can tell you that it doesn't actually work very often.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

also don't play vexing devil

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
http://www.twitch.tv/andrewcuneo

Cuneo and Owen are drafting now.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

and playing against a 50 card deck. :D

edit: About to play the same Silumgar's Command for the third time...
edit2: fourth time

odiv fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 7, 2015

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Sickening posted:

So inexpensive art work gets bought, they try to confirm it, they are told its stolen, and don't send it back to the artist because....?

Hey, you stole my $20. Send it back to me.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Perhaps Amy's concept of ownership is in line with the goblins from Harry Potter.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

UberJew posted:

They don't need to be lying, there could just be a disagreement between them about what represents reasonable evidence, in which case handing it to the police as a theoretically disinterested third party is better for her than if they'd just kept it.

I'd say its 99% certain they are disinterested.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I am so unbelievably hype for Waxmane Baku making its triumphant return to limited

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bugsy posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/andrewcuneo

Cuneo and Owen are drafting now.

Cuneo once again broke the meta

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i just ran out of time vs cheon :(

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

black potus posted:

i just ran out of time vs cheon :(

Lucky Cheon playing to his outs yet again

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
he was probably winning that game anyway, although i was playing super sloppy because of time. i won game 1, lost game 2, and then timed out

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
and apparently he dropped to do magic tv >:[

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sarcastro posted:

Hey, you stole my $20. Send it back to me.

You are terrible at analogies.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

odiv posted:

I can't wait until they do a show inspired by this on Law & Order: MTG.

"I'd love to help you out officer, but I've really got to get back to sorting these uncommons."

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

odiv posted:

"I'd love to help you out officer, but I've really got to get back to sorting these uncommons."

"Maybe my good friend Akroma will help jog your memory..."

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Oh, her? Yah, she comes in here most Fridays, plays a few rounds and drops to draft. She was here last week. Guy she was with didn't seem too happy though.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Sickening posted:

Look at this guy avoiding giving back my stolen $20. To Facebook with my grievance!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Sickening posted:

It seems like she hadn't reported it stolen officially previously and they're giving it to the police to figure poo poo out so it seems pretty solved.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

by the way, to the surprise of nobody after hearing that UR theme would be elementals, we have

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Rip common mulldrifter

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

cheetah7071 posted:

Rip common mulldrifter

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It was common in Lorwyn you dingus.

And it was one of the best cards in the set along with Avian Changeling, another common :v:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Mulldrifter, greatest magic card ever or greatest magic card ever?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

So, remand and serum visions haven't been revealed yet....

Please....

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Cactrot posted:

So, remand and serum visions haven't been revealed yet....

Please....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNyYBqg-pXM

Remand at uncommon, gently caress you remand prices.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

ungulateman posted:

It was common in Lorwyn you dingus.

And it was one of the best cards in the set along with Avian Changeling, another common :v:

I love the word dingus.

I love that you used the word dingus.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Elyv posted:

by the way, to the surprise of nobody after hearing that UR theme would be elementals, we have

gently caress that boring fish that every cube streamer loves to pick over crazy jank.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

gently caress that boring fish that every cube streamer loves to pick over crazy jank.

Yeah who cares about a flying bioluminescent fish when you oculd be drafting some wacky goblin.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I love the word dingus.

I love that you used the word dingus.

Is this your invitational card

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=45480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Pyronic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNyYBqg-pXM

Remand at uncommon, gently caress you remand prices.

I love it, now show me serum visions!

• Locked thread