Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Zzulu posted:

:siren: warning, incoming art dump:siren:
For all the newbies who are being introduced to Warhammer Fantasy with this game, here's some art of the units of the four factions so you get a better idea of what they're about :
Vampire Cunts aka 2Spooky4Me :spooky: aka Monster Mash :skeltal:
Warriors of Chaos aka grimdark heavy metal spike and skull appreciation station aka winners of warhammer END TIMES
:orks:Orcs, aka Orcs (and goblins) :orks:
Empire Humans, aka the good guys, but not really aka Medieval Europeans with wizards
Dwarves, aka angry old men who live in the ground

To follow this up since people aren't too familiar with the setting compared to 40k or other generic fantasy, here's some more factions which may or may not be present/playable in the future.

(i know most of them from blood bowl so how actually relevent they are in the lore or whatever is something someone else can talk about)

Tomb Kings: not-egypt. kingly mummys leading a bunch of skeletons. got everything you'd want from egypt armies, like chariots and angry sphinxes and poo poo. undead don't run, but generally suck to make up for that. end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQbznfI3ARk&t=1m50s

Brettonia: ye old chivalric fucks. great cavalry, backed up by bloody peasants and trebuchets. based on french knights and round table lore. knights go on quests to find the grail, get buffs, come back home, and run over people. end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JsiA4L3gEs

Skaven: live underground in blissful Objectivist harmony, where nothing is accomplished because youre too busy trying to kill your boss. are like the bad guys in Wizards. come in four flavors: eshin (ninja rats), pestilens (plauge rats), skyre (ww1 rats), and moulder (freaky rats). end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWmMCxRyUbs

Chaos Dwarves: dwarves that hung out with the wrong crowd. have tusks and fancy hats. live in a big city where they kick around hobgoblins all day. discontinued but canon, most you'll see is them manning Chaos cannons or something lame like that. end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKjnIY4ikA

Ogres: hungry. worship a mouth that is also hungry. fight for other people for food, which often includes other people. really big. end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUmIrToZvW0&t=19s

High Elves: live on an island and serve to provide the needed fantasy archetypes of ageless magical dweebs. quality over quantity, mixed with magic, dragons, and insidiously ugly hats. end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shs7VQhVvxA

Wood Elves: the same loving elves youve seen in every other fantasy work dont loving lie this is what you wanted. like bows, friends with ents, very speedy. end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36qqXqcPaBo

Dark Elves tenchcoat mafia elves. live in not-north america, sail around menacingly doing evil things because theyre hip and with it, are a warning from the british about what may befall youth if they listen to loud music and enjoy sex. gimmick is having crossbows, having monsters, and being decent overall. end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEA_gt9rc9c

Beastmen bitter redheaded stepchild of Chaos. goat people and minotaurs and such. also chariots. angry hordes, pretty much standins for "normal fantasy" style of orcs or other savage and uncivilized things that exist to die to people that matter. end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp0Bt2cbcc8

Lizardmen not chaos. aztec-ish. lead by giant magic frogs, they have dinosaurs, big angry lizardguys, smaller lizardguys, just lots of reptiles in general. hit hard and dont like to run away. end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzS39oghcnY&t=3m35s

Other: halflings, hobgoblins, gnomes, Albion (not-Britain) Cathay (not-China), Norsca (not-Vikings), Nippon (not-Japan), Ind (not-Ind- okay seriously), Araby (just loving guess, seriously, loving GUESS), amazons, pygmies. None of them have official armies, many of them are shameful, all of them are canon so could potentially show up. they probably wont. end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8AUT_f1bC4

e: first post of page 13, praise the horned rat or some poo poo

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Ehhh, calling Warhammer Wood Elves the same as normal wood elves is kinda dishonest. They're modelled after the Roman vision of the Celtic tribes. They're insane motherfuckers who come charging at you out of the woods, painted with woad, to avenge or put to right some wrong you don't even know you've committed. But probably actually have.

Bladedancers are rad.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i may have been a little cavalier at some points with my descriptions

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
One of the many rad things about warhammer is that it's not anal about petty little things like canon. You successfully captured the basic flavor of each faction. :unsmith:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i may have been a little cavalier at some points with my descriptions

You should be ashamed of yourself. OTOH, I didn't know beastmen were an independent army and minotaurs are cool, so thanks.

Any idea if the gameplay is going to be a free for all winner takes it all affair like the TW games or something a little more history driven?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
As someone who knows nothing about Warhammer other than it has space marines and they look badass, which faction will give me the most badass space marines?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
None of the factions have Space Marines, Chaos Warriors are probably the closest you're gonna get.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ahdinko posted:

As someone who knows nothing about Warhammer other than it has space marines and they look badass, which faction will give me the most badass space marines?

You're thinking of Warhammer 40k, this is Warhammer Fantasy.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Anything that's not associated with the Ultramarines. :orks:

After that it gets kinda subjective, but you can try the space wolves if you like the idea of vikings in space :v:.

Also, we have several warhammer threads, but this will give you the best results for your question.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494493

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
And yeah I'd encourage anyone who thinks a faction looks interesting to go ahead and look up stuff on them. WF race lore is actually pretty cool with its broad strokes in that you have pretty familiar archetypes but they're given a pretty distinct interpretation (except beastmen). Like Ogres turned out to be some creation of the old gods in an attempt to create a race that could take on the Chaos making GBS threads out of the north pole, but they hosed up so they're just hulking hungry manchildren without a real purpose in the world they're in.

When you start getting into the nitty gritty character/plot stories in the lore its pretty hit or miss. Lots of people with long names screaming at each other over stuff that happened at some point in 500 years of he said she said.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I got lots of art of every faction that I will randomly post in this thread whenever the lazy leaves me. The art that this franchise has accumulated over teh decades is my favourite thing about it. There's A LOT more 40K art of course, but there are still some cool fantasy images out there and they do a good job of capturing the setting

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Oh so this is like medieval-warhammer, not space-warhammer? I didn't know that was a thing.
I googled the chaos guys and they look like the space guys but just less spacey so that will do. They still look pretty badass and have obscenely big armour

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Lots of people with long names screaming at each other over stuff that happened at some point in 500 years of he said she said.

To be fair, this is dwarfs.txt. :v:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Pretty much Warhammer dwarfs have been living through the end of Boatmurdered for the past 1,000 years, except with more spikes and gunpowder, so its understandable that they're pissed :v:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Speaking of dwarves, does anyone else think that the Chaos Dwarves look a bit Persian, or maybe Babylonian? It's a nice change of pace, you don't often see that style in fantasy settings.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tomn posted:

Speaking of dwarves, does anyone else think that the Chaos Dwarves look a bit Persian, or maybe Babylonian? It's a nice change of pace, you don't often see that style in fantasy settings.

Yes, they're usually given a distinct Babylonian style.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, besides Babylonian theme, Chaos Dwarves were all about using Minotaur, Centaur and even Ork slaves as cheap labor, cannon fodder and servants with the actual Chaos Dwarves being in minority. They were also slowly turning to stone as they got older due to the Chaos Taint, so to retain their mobility, they gradually inserted various mechanical chaos-powered limbs and machines into their bodies, basically turning into Babylonian steampunk cyborg dwarf slavers.

Chaos Dwarves were rad.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, besides Babylonian theme, Chaos Dwarves were all about using Minotaur, Centaur and even Ork slaves as cheap labor, cannon fodder and servants with the actual Chaos Dwarves being in minority. They were also slowly turning to stone as they got older due to the Chaos Taint, so to retain their mobility, they gradually inserted various mechanical chaos-powered limbs and machines into their bodies, basically turning into Babylonian steampunk cyborg dwarf slavers.

Chaos Dwarves were rad.

The Chaos Dwarves sound like Dark Elves of the Heroes of Might & Magic series with all the Dwarven war machines you could want. I'm not very familiar with Warhammer Fantasy.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
"Chaos Dwarves" do not and never did exist.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

sassassin posted:

"Chaos Dwarves" do not and never did exist.

Nah, you are confusing them with "Squats", totally different dwarves from totally different Warhammer.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Neruz posted:

That said; the main job for most of the Imperial Guard is basically planetary policing. The reason the Imperial Guard are considered expendable in the face of an Ork WAAAAGH! or a Chaos outbreak or any other major faction attack is because they are not equipped and trained to deal with those things. The Guard are expected to deal with the scum of Hive Cities at the absolute worst, against anything more terrifying than that (aka literally every other major faction) the Guard are expected to just hold the line long enough for the real army to turn up.

There are a few exceptions to this; the Cadian Guard and the Kasrkin for example. But in general the average Imperial Guardsman is basically a militant enforcement officer and if he comes up against anything scarier than a drugged up waster with a laspistol he is expected to call for backup, which usually arrives in the form of tanks and heavy artillery.

I'm sorry, my inner sperg and misspent youth can't help but comment.

You're incredibly wrong about the first part! The imperial guard is the god drat Hammer of the Emperor. They do almost all of the heavy lifting against practically all the enemies of mankin, especially the arch-enemy. But against orcs to tyrannids as well, with causalties numbering in the millions every day. You're right they individually a completely outclassed by all enemies they face. However, the iron discipline enforced by the commisars, a logistics engine which size is so vast it staggers the mind and most of all, ordinary men and women dying defiantly in the mud after fighting desperate, impossible-odds battles against enemies with literal super powers, is what makes them the true, unsong, heroes of humanity.

The space marines, however, the so-called 'scalpel of the emporer', are elite units, who primarily swoop in to steal the glory at the last minute.

This is very important to me.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Other: halflings, hobgoblins, gnomes, Albion (not-Britain) Cathay (not-China), Norsca (not-Vikings), Nippon (not-Japan), Ind (not-Ind- okay seriously), Araby (just loving guess, seriously, loving GUESS), amazons, pygmies. None of them have official armies, many of them are shameful, all of them are canon so could potentially show up. they probably wont. end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8AUT_f1bC4

e: first post of page 13, praise the horned rat or some poo poo

Pygmies actually had a model range for a bit and were shamefully racist even for the time. The only ones of those factions to get proper armies even for a short period of time were Araby, Kislev (fantasy russia), and Albion, though Araby was only for warmaster. Personally all three of them seemed pretty cool and not horrifically racist, so I'd be totally down for them being added as factions. Given that that Albion's units would mostly be retextures of chaos and wood elf units I could easily see them bein added at some point in the future. Same thing with Kislev and being mostly a retexture of empire units, though the bears would require a new model. Araby although cool would require entirely new models, and the rest of the factions don't even have proper armies or real descriptions. So all would be cool to have but seem like they'd be a lot of work for CA. If the entire third expansion is just CA developing Warhammer's far east it would be a dream come true.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Chaos Dwarves were rad.

Chaos Dwarves are my favourite Warhammer race after Orcs and Goblins, hoping against hope they'll be included as a last minute DLC or something as a main release is probably too much to hope for. :smith:

The Chaos Dwarf empire needs a shitload of slave labour to get anything done because lol if the Dwarves themselves are gonna do that, so they hunt for trade caravans crossing the Silk Road between the Empire and Cathay, or during the off season they'll go after the neighbouring kingdoms for slaves. As those kingdoms are the homes of the Ogres (good luck getting a good slave out of a ten foot tall perpetually hungry angryman), Chaos (gently caress dealing with daemons), regular Dwarves (pain in the arse getting them out of their fortresses) or Undead it's little wonder that neighbour number five gets most of the attention. That neighbour is the Greenskins. Orcs and Goblins being plentiful means it's real easy to find them, but their habit of perpetually fighting each other and the slavemasters made the Chaos Dwarves try and fix them. After pumping a shitload of magic and science into the Orcs they created the Black Orc. Faster, better, harder, stronger, smarter, none of the belligerence their regular cousins suffered from, they were the perfect slave, so the Chaos Dwarves started breeding a shitload of them. Of course the Black Orcs lead the first slave rebellion and took most of slaves out of the Chaos Dwarf empire to freedom in the badlands, where there's now a bunch of them leading tribes or forming elite guards for Orc warlords.

Oh and during that uprising the Hobgoblins tattled to the Chaos Dwarves about the upcoming rebellion so the rest of the Greenskins now hate them and don't trust them at all, the only place a Hobgoblin can live in peace is among the Chaos Dwarves. Having a Chaos Dwarf gunline backed up by Bull-centaur cavalry, Chaos-infused artillery and fire-daemon constructs while Hobgoblins are sent out in wave after wave to hold the enemy back so they can be shot easier would work so well for a Total War game, I really hope they make it in. Oh and a few regular Orc and Goblin units, maybe one unit of Black Orcs. Most of the army is there, CA, just reskin some Dwarves, add in some Greenskins, do some balancing. :pray:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

My favourite part of the Lizardmen is Lord Mazdamundi:

quote:

Literally "light of the world" (from Mazda and Latin "mundi") The oldest living Slann and the most powerful living practitioner of magic in the Warhammer World, Mazdamundi is solely responsible for the downfall of the Dwarven empire by causing a massive continental shift that caused many of the holds of the Dwarves to be flooded by lava, and many of the others were overwhelmed by the Greenskins that invaded in the aftermath of the disaster. Through sheer domination of will power he rides a mighty Stegadon into battle and his gaze humbles all but the mightiest of warriors.

loving hell yeah.

I believe he also split the ocean, Moses style, to march over with an army to not-africa and possible not-europe to kick some rear end and reclaim some stolen poo poo of his.

Of course, besides him there's also Lord Kroak...

Slann :allears:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Also, the greenskins under the leadership of their greatest fighter ever (and former chaos dwarf slave) Grimgor, decided to gently caress over the Chaos Dwarves completely during the END TIMES stuff. They went to the chaos dwarfs lands and just basically wiped them out and then Gork and Mork (the greenskins gods) killed the chaos dwarfs god as a final gently caress you. It was pretty much the only thing the orcs got to do during end times. Well that and Grimgor headbutting the super-ascended-megaman-chaos-champion-of-the-end-times Archaon before getting cut down

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pimpmust posted:

My favourite part of the Lizardmen is Lord Mazdamundi:

loving hell yeah.

And let's also understand why he did that: because he found a plaque by the Old Ones indicating where the continents were supposed to be, and one of them was out of position. So he moved it.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Tectonic drift: against Lizard religion.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Since Korgan brought them up: BLACK ORCS!

Most, if not all Greenskins have a unique rule on tabletop: they have to roll for Animosity every turn, and if they fail, they can end up going in a wrong direction, shooting like a bunch of sissies instead of charging like badasses, charging the wrong thing like idiots, sitting pretty while they argue about poo poo and getting shot at, killing each other in a brawl while getting shot, etc. This can be alleviated by having a particularly larger Orc (Big 'un) lead the unit so he can maintain/restore order. However, Animosity tends to gently caress you over at the worst time, as befits a race as violent and stupid as the Greenskins.

Black Orcs do not muck about, unlike the rest of the goddamn Greenskin race. They are hardcore badasses who care about only one thing: fighting and killing all the motherfuckers. Naturally, they tend to gravitate towards leadership positions in Greenskin armies, because Orcs respect strength, and stupid Orcs who don't get stomped.

This is Grimgor, the Black Orc of Black Orcs:

Grimgor does not gently caress around with mounts, or other fancy bullshit like guns or shooting fireballs from your rear end or whatever. He has a magic suit of armor and a magic double-handed axe named Gitsnik, which means "foe-killer" in plain English. In this picture, he is roaring like a badass, holding Gitsnik high like a conquering warrior, and knocking the poo poo out of a dwarf with a left hook. Motherfucking Grimgor Ironhide is straight-to-the-point: kill fuckers, be awesome.

Grimgor's story is also simple: one day, he came out of the Blasted Wastes (a lovely hellhole, think Fallout) with an exceptionally-grim band of fellow Black Orcs, called the "Immortulz" (awesome). They were tired and hungry, but gently caress that: Grimgor went and conquered/assimilated other Orcish warbands non-stop. Those who were stupid enough to refuse subservience period were killed to an orc.

Grimgor is an angry motherfucker: even other Orcs considered him insanely violent and if two days went by without a fight, Grimgor would start one himself within the Waaagh! Grimgor is so batshit murderous that when he sought out the Dwarven Slayer Cult because he knew it would be the best fight ever, he managed to get dwarves out to get themselves killed in glorious battle to hole up in their fortresses because gently caress trying to fight Grimgor. He then totally ravaged the hell out of Kislev (not-Russia/Poland) until their tzarina froze his whole army but DA IMMORTULZ with loving ice magic.

Going back to the Dwarven Kingdoms because frozen Orcs don't make good troops, he ended up checking out some hole that the Dwarves dug in one of their fortresses. He found Night Goblins, a variety of Greenskin that love doing drugs all the time and being far more tenacious than ordinary Goblins. Grimgor killed them all, and dug deeper until he found the Skaven, those rat bastard fuckers. The resulting war ended up with Grimgor doing the impossible: nearly kill off three entire clans of swarming ratpeople AND breach a Skaven city to kill all rats. After this, he went back to the surface because he got bored, crossed the mountain range dividing the main continent of the setting, and inadvertently saved Kislev after nearly destroying it by murdering the poo poo out of a massive horde of not-Mongols heading towards the kingdom.

From here, his story diverges thanks to GW being stupid with canon-changing campaigns. Needless to say, he does badass poo poo in both Storm of Chaos and the End Times. In SoC, he finally meets his (equal) match in CROM THE CONQUEROR, the right-hand man of ARCHAON THE EVER-CHOSEN, Chaos' ultimate champion in the setting. Even then, he fights Crom to a draw; he only withdraws after he founds out his army got its rear end kicked and ran off. Extremely pissed off by this, Grimgor decides to shape his army up by trimming the fat, and by trimming the fat I mean killing any non-Orc Greenskin because they're a waste of air.

He goes and kills his way back to the final battle in the Empire, and like a total dick he loving SUCKER PUNCHES Archaon in his ultimate moment of triumph over civilization. He then takes his axe, puts it against Archaon's neck...and yells "I IZ DA BEST" and walks away the smuggest motherfucker in the setting. This is pretty stupid in hindsight, but drat does Grimgor kick rear end.

Zzulu posted:

Also, the greenskins under the leadership of their greatest fighter ever (and former chaos dwarf slave) Grimgor, decided to gently caress over the Chaos Dwarves completely during the END TIMES stuff. They went to the chaos dwarfs lands and just basically wiped them out and then Gork and Mork (the greenskins gods) killed the chaos dwarfs god as a final gently caress you. It was pretty much the only thing the orcs got to do during end times. Well that and Grimgor headbutting the super-ascended-megaman-chaos-champion-of-the-end-times Archaon before getting cut down

Hold on there brother Zzulu, the Greenskins ended up partying a whole bunch during the end of the world. Because I'm tired of typing, here's a brief list:

- Because it's the end of the world, Grimgor goes and conquers the goddamn OGRE KINGDOMS. OGRES, BIG FUCKERS THAT WOULD NATURALLY COMMAND THE RESPECT OF GREENSKINS BECAUSE THEY ARE BIGGER

- Goes to the east and totally fucks up the Chaos invasion of not-China and not-Japan. He fucks them up so hard that Chaos redirects its efforts from the East. He then fucks up the remaining eastern kingdoms and the resident ninja rat clan because gently caress them

- Like you said, gets revenge on the Chaos Dwarves in the most awesome way possible

- Becomes the INCARNATE OF BEASTS, basically the avatar of that specific school of magic involving being strong and savage as gently caress. Yes, this sounds kind of lame but keep in mind Orcs naturally do not connect with the magic winds so maybe it's actually awesome

- In the final battle, Grimgor leads the charge against the armies of Chaos with his Immortulz in tow. He ultimately dies against Archaon because CHAOS WINS, but not before breaking Archaon's precious little necklace with a sickass headbutt. Also, Archaon had to ask help from the demon in his sword like a punk bitch because he couldn't swing it or something.

- Finally, despite his death, the Immortulz and allies end up routing the goddamn horde of Chaos one final time. Even in death, Grimgor shows you how Black Orcs do it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Riso posted:

Tectonic drift: against Lizard religion.

The continents are too important to be allowed to just meander about :colbert:

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
RE: Early Modern/Empire as Thirty Year's War HRE chat on the last page, I remember the Witch Hunter model being very much inspired by a parliamentary soldier from the English Civil War. Is there any more of that around?

I haven't followed Warhammer FB for quite a few years but have always been a sucker for New Model Army stuff and wondered if they included more of it :v:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Zzulu posted:

one of the first warhammer lore things i read about was the conclusion of storm of chaos and it was one of the best things id ever read in a fantasy setting.

basiically, there was a sort of END TIMES version 0.1 where they decided a great idea would be advancing the plot but have the story acted out via some system where you would play games and send in the results of said games and the outcome would determine what happened in the story. At the same time, however, they did their usual poo poo of trying to create some ~masterful story~ or some loving overwrought c-grade fantasy garbage (seriously just try to read this poo poo without your brain stem mercykilling you) where the previously mentioned super-ascended-megaman-chaos-champion Archaon decided one day to wander down south and rub sand in the Emperor's eyes or something and from there a bunch of super epic poo poo was presumably going to go down and everyone and their mother was invited. It was hyped up to be a big shake up; whatever happened would change things fOrEvErrr

Unfortunately, there were problems. Aside from the website being set up and the whole thing being badly managed (they didn't update during weekends but still took results, and the number of results received would impact the results due to how many results one side received, total), the biggest problem was that the writers didn't really seem to get that, at the time, Chaos sucked. So they lost. They lost a poo poo ton, to everyone. Part of what happened was that the Orcs were registered as a "neutral" faction and could report its results as either against Order or against Chaos, but surprise surprise Orc players tend to hate Chaos so they smashed the poo poo out of them near exclusively. But the writers had their heart set on some idea of Chaos being a terrible nigh-invincible menace that is only barely stopped (if that), so it didn't really do much to have Chaos's most grand invasion get its face smashed on the Empires' doorstep forever. So they kept having to try to keep things on track plotwise, which was pretty transparent and just annoyed everyone involved. So the results got even more skewed as people begun intentionally trying to gently caress up the storyline and the Chaos players more or less stopped trying.

At the end, there was supposed to be a huge battle at the place the Chaos dudes were targeting (even though they never made it close to reaching it) where pretty much every single army showed up to fight, and in the end, with no way to move the plot in the way they wanted while pretending the game results mattered, they pulled out the most blatant, angry cop out they could manage. Archaon kicks over the Emperor, before getting coldclocked in the back of the head by Grimgor the Orc. Grimgor declares that he's the best orc ever, then goes home. The undead, who had just been chilling, raise the dead of everyone from the battle, destroy the remaining forces, then also go home. Archaon has some existential crisis and wanders off. Absolutely nothing of importance changed, and then the Storm of Chaos campaign was ignored as hard as possible.

Its now noncanon after End Times, where the results were entirely predetermined, and where there's apparently a lot of little cheapshots done along the way against whatever figures happened to have embarrassed Chaos too much in previous End Times. Grimgor being killed by Archaon being one such thing.

this has pretty much all the updates that were put out by gw, plus some of their explanations for how things went: http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/ar/t26684.htm fun quote from it: "All-in-all, with both sides complaining I figure we got it just about right."

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 7, 2015

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I remember Storm of Chaos, and Chaos getting stuck real early for days/weeks at some early "objectives" like a Windmill and some dinky bridge without being able to get past at all without being "shuffled along" to the next objective by GWs writers.

Said writers were meanwhile trying to hype up the unstoppable Chaos horde harder than the loving Space Marines and of course failing, because the local militia was stopping said horde cold :v:

Was pretty funny.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
In the end Chaos won the setting through overwhelming plot armor

And also because the vampire counts dicked over the entire world

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I'm sorry, my inner sperg and misspent youth can't help but comment.

You're incredibly wrong about the first part! The imperial guard is the god drat Hammer of the Emperor. They do almost all of the heavy lifting against practically all the enemies of mankin, especially the arch-enemy. But against orcs to tyrannids as well, with causalties numbering in the millions every day. You're right they individually a completely outclassed by all enemies they face. However, the iron discipline enforced by the commisars, a logistics engine which size is so vast it staggers the mind and most of all, ordinary men and women dying defiantly in the mud after fighting desperate, impossible-odds battles against enemies with literal super powers, is what makes them the true, unsong, heroes of humanity.

The space marines, however, the so-called 'scalpel of the emporer', are elite units, who primarily swoop in to steal the glory at the last minute.

This is very important to me.

Jack B Nimble posted:

One thing too often overlooked is that there aren't enough Space Marines to go around and they're not the only guys kicking rear end and taking names - for every drop pod shock assault launched by the Emperor's Finest many more planets are taken or held with nothing more than a "a bayonet with some guts behind it". Characterizing the guardsmen as nearly impotent human shields overlooks that they're as well equiped and trained as such a large body of soldiers can be - they don't have las guns and flak armor because no one gives a gently caress, but because those are absolutely the stuff for them to have when considering the whole of their circumstances - grimdark tactics vs grimdark logistics.

Regarding this game, I'm wondering how much more animating this will require. I mean you're going to need animations for every underlying skeleton fighting every other skeleton, right? So it used to be 6 and now it's 24, the animation count has balooned up. I mean when I think of Rome 2 I don't recall a lot of generic "my man swung his sword and the other guy fell over" animations - I expect/hope to see empire units have specific animations for fighting orcs, dwarves, humans, and zombies.
Okay so it turns out the Imperial Guard actually owns and they're the Red Guard circa 1945, not 1941 :v:

Kial posted:

Or maybe they'll get rid of the whole kill animation business. It's one of the biggest issues with the Warscape engine. I vaguely remember some fixes in Rome 2 Emperor Edition, but my strong dislike for the game clouds my memory.
You want to remove kill animations for a warhammer game? :staredog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRiU2N03Rzs

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Who here has played the Medieval 2 Warhammer mod? Is it any good?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If you play Mount and Blade Warband there's a kickass Warhammer Fantasy mod for it called Warsword Conquest. You can play as just about anyone and scurry around the old world gettin in fights as a giant lizardman or angry ratman or gun-toting German.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I have played it. It's very impressive but still feels incomplete, and hasn't updated in years. Also it was a pain to install.

Orv
May 4, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I was going to shortly after this all went down, but the only available mirrors have it in six parts that each take twenty hours to download. :smith:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You can have the already mentioned games or the crusader kings 2 mod. That one runs like molasses though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Night10194 posted:

If you play Mount and Blade Warband there's a kickass Warhammer Fantasy mod for it called Warsword Conquest. You can play as just about anyone and scurry around the old world gettin in fights as a giant lizardman or angry ratman or gun-toting German.

Tell me more. I can't seem to navigate the taleworlds forums for poo poo

• Locked thread