Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Hippo posted:

Ah, okay, nice, thanks!

It's what I'm here for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I think there are some older TPBs which collection some of those X-Men issues, like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Ashes-Chris-Claremont/dp/0871356155/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430141938&sr=8-1&keywords=x-men+from+the+ashes

Nothing which has been printed recently, though. I hope they continue the omnis.

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

it's so weird that the Paul Smith run (#165-175) is uncollected except in B&W Essential format and one issue showing up at the end of a Marvel Masterworks.

quote:

This was brought up once before and somebody claimed that Smith's reprint deal is what keeps those issues out of print.

But...Uncanny #168-175 *are* collected. They're in the recent Marvel Masterworks: Uncanny X-Men volume 9 HC, along with Wolverine #1-4 and "God Loves, Man Kills". Possibly the best X-Men Masterworks ever.

(And #165-167 are in the previous Masterwork.)

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I've read the following....

Captain America Omnibus
The Death of Captain America Omnibus
Captain America Lives Omnibus

So next in line would be....

The Trial of Captain America Omnibus? then Return Of Winter Soldier Omnibus?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Yes

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Takei is Okay posted:

But...Uncanny #168-175 *are* collected. They're in the recent Marvel Masterworks: Uncanny X-Men volume 9 HC, along with Wolverine #1-4 and "God Loves, Man Kills". Possibly the best X-Men Masterworks ever.

(And #165-167 are in the previous Masterwork.)

they weren't last i checked. apparently volume 9 just came out three months ago

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of collected X-Mans, I just had these made:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redbackground posted:

How, where, and how much?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

gfanikf posted:

How, where, and how much?
Magic
Herring and Robinson
20 a pop.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redbackground posted:

Oh, man, those would be my most-wanted Marvel omnibuses at the moment. If only, if only.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redbackground posted:

Magic
Herring and Robinson
20 a pop.

What do you use for the donor copies? Guts of TPBs?

Edit here we go
http://www.herringandrobinsonbookbinders.com/html/faq.html

Want so bad. I finally get a SuperPro omnibus :lol:

That is awesome though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

gfanikf posted:

What do you use for the donor copies? Guts of TPBs?
All single issues.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redbackground posted:

All single issues.

Thanks! This is giving me some ideas....mostly bad ones...but still ideas.

Random as gently caress Omnibus made up of discount single issues

Horrible Horrible Things From Mark Millar

Fabian Wants Some Free Football Tickets
Kind of wish I still had physical books beyond 10 packs of old random stuff for 5 bucks.

Only downside is that unlike with OSHC or Omniboo the pages aren't centered against a bigger page.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Can we pretty much assume there won't be a second Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Can we pretty much assume there won't be a second Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus?

They haven't even put any of Miles' stuff in OSHC.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I just really want to start collecting Hickman's whole Avengers run. The original TPBs seemed like a pretty raw deal considering there's some overlap there between issues of both books and the big Infinity hardcover.

Then I saw that they've recently put out a new series of bigger hardcovers, containing 11 issues each. But these conflict with Infinity even more, since there are 3 missing issues in the regular Avengers book before Infinity starts, and the overlap with New Avengers is even greater.

So... are they putting out a new Infinity collection or something? Have they announced plans for an omnibus that will circumvent this whole mess? Is there any simple loving way to get this poo poo?

Edit: Oh bloody hell the description for the Avengers HC is mislabelled and it actually has 13 issues which means it naturally leads up to Infinity. Okay, that's good, at least. But what about New Avengers?

Edit 2: Jesus okay, I think I figured it out...

Recently released Avengers HC V1 with 13 issues
The original New Avengers TPB V1 with 6 issues
Infinity HC with Avengers 14+ and NA 7+

That should be correct, right?

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 16, 2015

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hakkesshu posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I just really want to start collecting Hickman's whole Avengers run. The original TPBs seemed like a pretty raw deal considering there's some overlap there between issues of both books and the big Infinity hardcover.

Then I saw that they've recently put out a new series of bigger hardcovers, containing 11 issues each. But these conflict with Infinity even more, since there are 3 missing issues in the regular Avengers book before Infinity starts, and the overlap with New Avengers is even greater.

So... are they putting out a new Infinity collection or something? Have they announced plans for an omnibus that will circumvent this whole mess? Is there any simple loving way to get this poo poo?

Edit: Oh bloody hell the description for the Avengers HC is mislabelled and it actually has 13 issues which means it naturally leads up to Infinity. Okay, that's good, at least. But what about New Avengers?

Edit 2: Jesus okay, I think I figured it out...

Recently released Avengers HC V1 with 13 issues
The original New Avengers TPB V1 with 6 issues
Infinity HC with Avengers 14+ and NA 7+

That should be correct, right?

It all comes down to your level of ocd but I would just buy A/NA hardcovers and get the Infinity tpb. Shelf-look is everything and do you really want a peasant NA trade in the middle of NA hardcovers? No, you don't.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The smart thing to do seems to be to wait until it's all over and cross your fingers that they put out omnibu of the whole shebang in proper order.

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011
Buy 'em this way:

Avengers by Hickman vol. 1 OHC - collects Avengers #1-13
New Avengers vol. 1: Everything Dies Premiere HC - collects New Avengers #1-6
Infinity OHC - collects Avengers #14-23, New Avengers #7-12, Infinity #1-6

Then...
New Avengers by Hickman vol. 2 OHC - collects New Avengers #13-23, coming out in November
Avengers by Hickman vol. 3 OHC - presumably this will show up at some point and collect Avengers #24-34, since the HCs generally collect two TPBs each.

That's everything before "Time Runs Out", with no overlaps, all in HC, all oversized except for NA #1-6 which is a standard-sized HC.

If you really want NA #1-6 oversized, buy New Avengers by Hickman vol. 1 OHC instead of "Everything Dies," and just ignore the overlap of New Avengers #7-12 with the Infinity OHC. You'll still end up with the same number of books.

Takei is Okay fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 17, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is the print size of the OHC larger than the regular TPB? Because I don't really care about shelf look but if it's a better print then sure it's worth the overlap.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, oversized hardcovers are a bit larger than a TPB. Maybe 5% or so.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I picked up a nick & dent copy of the first volume of Bendis' GotG and I had forgotten how dire his version of Rocket was.

BLAM MURDERED YOU.

And McNiven's designs for the team were really great, it's a shame they were forced to copy the movie designs.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I picked up a nick & dent copy of the first volume of Bendis' GotG and I had forgotten how dire his version of Rocket was.

BLAM MURDERED YOU.

And McNiven's designs for the team were really great, it's a shame they were forced to copy the movie designs.

Did McNiven design their uniforms during the Abnett/Lanning run? Because I really loved that look, especially Star-Lord's uniform and helmet. I was disappointed the movie didn't use those designs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Did McNiven design their uniforms during the Abnett/Lanning run? Because I really loved that look, especially Star-Lord's uniform and helmet. I was disappointed the movie didn't use those designs.

No, that was Timothy Green II I believe. Bagley designed the updated "hero suit" Star-Lord wears in the first arc of Avengers Assemble and McNiven tweaked it and it was really something. I wouldn't hesitate to call it one of the best costume updates ever.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
God dammit, did I really just burn through the first two Starman omnibuses only to find out v3 never came out in paperback and the hardcovers are out of print and ridiculously expensive?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Brocktoon posted:

God dammit, did I really just burn through the first two Starman omnibuses only to find out v3 never came out in paperback and the hardcovers are out of print and ridiculously expensive?

I only made it through one, but... I feel your pain.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Brocktoon posted:

Try libraries.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

bobkatt013 posted:

Try libraries.

Looks like my library system only has v1 and v5. :smith:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Inter-library loan arrow, bro

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Check Ebay, you can put together a complete run for cheaper than the cost of all 6 HCs.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I wish DC would throw together a trade of the Times Past issues they skipped in the original TPB run. This will never, ever happen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Karma Tornado posted:

I wish DC would throw together a trade of the Times Past issues they skipped in the original TPB run. This will never, ever happen.

Well yeah, the SC run didn't even sell well enough to warrant completion.

Here, plenty of full runs up for sale.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xstarman+1-80.TRS0&_nkw=starman+1-80&_sacat=0

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the deal with DC's trades department, anyway? Why do they seem to be so far behind Marvel? Sure, there's some pretty significant royalty issues (particularly on books written in the 1990s) but doesn't that affect Marvel as well?

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the deal with DC's trades department, anyway? Why do they seem to be so far behind Marvel? Sure, there's some pretty significant royalty issues (particularly on books written in the 1990s) but doesn't that affect Marvel as well?

The royalties issue covers pretty much most of the Bronze age. That's why you tend to see more collections focussed on a single artist or writer (or artist writer team) rather than long consecutive runs. It's just easier to re-negotiate terms with one writer and one artist than it is a whole bunch. It gets even easier if they're still getting work at DC. Or, you know, dead.

Doesn't affect Marvel at all as their contracts would have been different. DC were particularly generous, not predicting how widespread collected editions would become. Of course, DC can still opt to push a book out at the originally agreed royalty rates but in most cases, given how low sales are for these sort of books, it just isn't financially worth it for them to do so.

To be quite honest though, I'm happy with the quality and quantity of 70s-90s collections DC are putting out. They account for about 80% of my comic buying and I feel pretty well served.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 21, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Right, I see. I suppose that's why the third New Teen Titans omnibus turned into a George Pérez artist showcase, then? The two series I'm probably most interested in (Post-Crisis Legion of Super-Heroes through to Zero Hour, and the Flash by Mark Waid) likely haven't happened / are unlikely to happen for reasons other than royalties (respectively, Paul Levitz using his pull as publisher to keep any Legion collections from 1979 onwards from coming out, and Mark Waid being persona non grata at DC right now).

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Right, I see. I suppose that's why the third New Teen Titans omnibus turned into a George Pérez artist showcase, then? The two series I'm probably most interested in (Post-Crisis Legion of Super-Heroes through to Zero Hour, and the Flash by Mark Waid) likely haven't happened / are unlikely to happen for reasons other than royalties (respectively, Paul Levitz using his pull as publisher to keep any Legion collections from 1979 onwards from coming out, and Mark Waid being persona non grata at DC right now).

Oh yeah, there's always the petty poo poo that stops collections too. Would love to see big extended runs of 80s Legion (looks like The Darkness Saga and The Curse books are all we're getting) and Waid Flash would be a no-brainer for any sane-minded company.

I think the plan for the Titans Omnibuses were always "by Wolfman and Perez" but it could easily be the royalty stuff that forced their hand on that a little bit. Now they're coming out as trades it'll be interesting to see if they do the non-Perez issues.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think they've also done two TPBs collecting the first dozen or so Post-Crisis issues of LSH, but that's about it until the post-IC reboot, I think.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I did some used book shopping today, and I had no idea that Fury MAX: My War Gone By came out in such a beautiful OSHC. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Suicide Squal vol 2 showing up as an amazon fish for early next year. Maybe this time it'll be real!!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Suicide-Squad-Vol-Nightshade-Odssey/dp/1401258336/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433333957&sr=1-3