Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Steve Yun posted:

Which is weird, because isn't Grand Fromage in Korea?

I was, but I moved to China a while back. Though this would apply there too, in Korea you cover meat with sugar but complain if a cake is sweet.

I'm going to try to just do it full sugar but if not I need a backup idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?
What should I do with these pork, duck, and duck liver sausages? Besides frying them and shoving them in my greedy maw.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I was, but I moved to China a while back. Though this would apply there too, in Korea you cover meat with sugar but complain if a cake is sweet.

I'm going to try to just do it full sugar but if not I need a backup idea.

I know this isn't really what you asked for, but there are alternative cookies which can be made less sweet probably. I'm thinking shortbread could be made fairly non-sweet. If you take that to the extreme it's essentially just pie crust, so the sugar is less important to a good shortbread than it would be to a drop cookie.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Peanut butter cookies would go over well but we already have supplies for chocolate chip, so we're stuck with them for now. I may just get a bag of sugar by myself and go rogue and take over on baking day.

Jewmanji posted:

Well based on your confidence, I'll definitely go out and grab another bottle, thanks. As far as other ingredients are concerned, I sourced it all from Fuschia Dunlop's book Every Grain of Rice, which seems to be, at least to this novice, very accurate about what's what.

She knows her poo poo, yeah. I'd trust her over me, she studied it properly. My knowledge of Sichuan food is from her and from observing the cooks when I go out, I've been living in Sichuan a little while now. I'm not sure what city she learned in, there are regional variations in Sichuan and I only know anything about Chengdu food. Chongqing is the other big one with its own style, and then there are all kinds of little variations all over the province. Sichuan + Chongqing (which was part of Sichuan until recently and culturally is the same) is like 120 million people so there's plenty of variety.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 7, 2015

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

soap. posted:

What should I do with these pork, duck, and duck liver sausages? Besides frying them and shoving them in my greedy maw.

Cassoulet!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Moving in a few months and new roommate is super excited about buying a chest freezer and entire brokendown cow. He claims that it can feed a family for a year eating meat on the regs. How true is this? The only broken down animal I've had to deal with is half a deer I bought.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Depends on the size of the family, and it includes using the bones for soups, but yes it will.

Basically you can get a month or thereabouts from a sheep or good sized goat, 4 to 6 months for a hog, and 9 months to a year for a steer. This is assuming you consume basically nothing else meat wise in that time frame.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 7, 2015

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Depends how big the cow is, the family is and how much meat is in a serving, but yeah, totally doable.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Yaws posted:

What's the difference between those cheap rice cookers and the expensive ones and can someone recommend me a cheapish one?

Cooks Illustrated just reviewed these and rated the $30 Aroma as roughly on par with the $270 Zojirushi for casual consumers, and far, far cheaper.

I bought it and I don't regret it! When I buy my next one, I'll probably upgrade to fuzzy logic. But the Aroma is beating the pants off my old steamer-style Cusinart Rice Cooker that I wore out.

Also, check out the product recommendations thread. I just had this conversation there. :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Moving in a few months and new roommate is super excited about buying a chest freezer and entire brokendown cow. He claims that it can feed a family for a year eating meat on the regs. How true is this? The only broken down animal I've had to deal with is half a deer I bought.

My mom used to do this. Hope you like meatloaf and beef stew.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just a warning about the Aroma cookers; the nonstick later on their pots is complete poo poo, and the bottom will peel off. The inside should be okay as long as you don't use metal utensils, but be careful while washing so that you don't get any flakes from the bottom inside the pot.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I'm thinking about getting a new rice cooker because my current dumb roommate keep using metal utensils so the pot is scratched to all hell. No flaking, just giant cuts and scrapes. Still functions so many not worth it.

I do notice that it's slightly burning rice in some spots so maybe it's just because it's nearly 10 years old.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Depending on the model you could just get a replacement inner bowl made of aluminum.

Or buy a new one made of aluminum.

Also the toasted rice on the edges is not necessarily a bad thing... before they were exposed to sugary pastries, Koreans ate it as a dessert

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I just assembled a cheap propane BBQ. After turning on the gas and hitting the ignitor, I think it's lit - it's radiating heat - but there's no visible flame. None at all.
Is this normal?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Heat = flame. The background light might be such that you can't see it, but it's there. Dome/cover the cheap grill and you should see the flame. Some cheap grills will light only a portion of the heat elements though.

Also, if you smoke or even if you don't, you can always try to burn something disposable to confirm the flame.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wookums posted:

Also, if you smoke or even if you don't, you can always try to burn something disposable to confirm the flame.

Just stick your hand in there; if your arm hair starts to toast you're golden.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you don't loose arm hair dumping a chimney you're doing it correctly.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Illinois Smith posted:

Like, that's befuddling enough but at least I'd seen gross pictures of it before. The commercial also has cheese sauce and sweet chili sauce and stuff though.

there's an entire chain dedicated to having shitloads of dips for your pizza: http://www.toppers.com

toppers fuckin owns for drunk pizza when everything else is closed after the bars shut down at like 3:30am. cheese sticks with a bunch of dips gave my drunk rear end the power to survive many a hangover

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

wheez the roux posted:

there's an entire chain dedicated to having shitloads of dips for your pizza: http://www.toppers.com

toppers fuckin owns for drunk pizza when everything else is closed after the bars shut down at like 3:30am. cheese sticks with a bunch of dips gave my drunk rear end the power to survive many a hangover

Man, toppers tastes like poo poo when I'm sober, but when I'm super loving three sheets, a order of taco sticks and garlic sauce is goddamn food nirvana sometimes.

Edit: Also being too drunk to finish em all and waking up the next morning to cold topper sticks is a goddamn beautiful thing.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Man, toppers tastes like poo poo when I'm sober, but when I'm super loving three sheets, a order of taco sticks and garlic sauce is goddamn food nirvana sometimes.

Edit: Also being too drunk to finish em all and waking up the next morning to cold topper sticks is a goddamn beautiful thing.

I don't get drunk, and I still swear by their loving cuban pizza. Mozz, pulled pork, canadian bacon, and dill pickles, with honey mustard for sauce. It has no right being so goddamn tasty.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
Same, but their cheesesteak pizza :swoon:

I was pissed as hell when the changed the menu and got rid of the grinders bc that buffalo chicken grinder and bbq beef were the poo poo

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

wheez the roux posted:

Same, but their cheesesteak pizza :swoon:

I was pissed as hell when the changed the menu and got rid of the grinders bc that buffalo chicken grinder and bbq beef were the poo poo

:negative: why did you have to remind me of their grinders. Those things were tasty as gently caress.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

This must be an east coast thing. Out here we just go for late night tacos when we're drunk.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

This must be an east coast thing. Out here we just go for late night tacos when we're drunk.

Maybe north east coast, don't put that on all of us.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So Gordon Ramsey's recipe for crispy skin salmon involves cutting grape tomatoes in half, seasoning lightly, and leaving them overnight in the oven with the pilot on. I have a gas oven/stove, but there's no pilot light. What's the best way to get the same results with the tomatoes? Just broil for a few minutes?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There's a lot of other great drunkfoods, but sometimes you just need to eat lovely food like taco bell or toppers or mcds. Well, probably not you, cuz I'm guessing you're still a fuckin snob when poo poo faced.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

There's a lot of other great drunkfoods, but sometimes you just need to eat lovely food like taco bell or toppers or mcds. Well, probably not you, cuz I'm guessing you're still a fuckin snob when poo poo faced.

Some of us have class. :wotwot:

I mean at least get del taco.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Some of us have class. :wotwot:

Mmmmmmm del taco

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

FishBulb posted:

Mmmmmmm del taco

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Do vegetables and leafy greens lose any nutritious value if kept in a fridge for long periods? Like, do kale or cabbage vitamins fade into the ether if I don't eat them for a week or two?

nwin posted:

So Gordon Ramsey's recipe for crispy skin salmon involves cutting grape tomatoes in half, seasoning lightly, and leaving them overnight in the oven with the pilot on. I have a gas oven/stove, but there's no pilot light. What's the best way to get the same results with the tomatoes? Just broil for a few minutes?

Oven Dry at between 150 to 175 for about 10 hours - or at 225 for 4 hours. Twice that time if you REALLY want them dessicated and chewy.

edit: when you're cooking those cut tomatoes, add unpeeled garlic cloves to the same tray and let that cook alongside them.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 8, 2015

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

nwin posted:

we used to use a 'falling oven' in cases like that. basically heat the oven to 200C, put the toms in, close the door, then turn off the oven and leave them there overnight.

BLerchg
May 8, 2015
Is there a quick and easy way to make chicken breasts taste exciting again? I'm on a diet and eating a lot of it currently , but i'm running out of ideas and frankly i'm getting bored of the taste. Of course i switch it up with other protein sources, but new ways to prepare chicken breasts would be very appreciated.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BLerchg posted:

Is there a quick and easy way to make chicken breasts taste exciting again? I'm on a diet and eating a lot of it currently , but i'm running out of ideas and frankly i'm getting bored of the taste. Of course i switch it up with other protein sources, but new ways to prepare chicken breasts would be very appreciated.

http://www.feastingathome.com/2012/11/crispy-berbere-chicken-with-ethiopian-lentils.html breasts instead of thighs, adjust accordingly.

Add tomato Salsa to it, or chimchurri sauce or mango salsa or chutney to it. Always good.

Cube your chicken and bake them alongside onion and pineapple chunks. Or make kebabs, but it's the same either way.

Quick Tikki Masala

Lettuce Wraps

Some type of chicken kiev

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 8, 2015

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Drifter posted:

http://www.feastingathome.com/2012/11/crispy-berbere-chicken-with-ethiopian-lentils.html breasts instead of thighs, adjust accordingly.

Add tomato Salsa to it, or chimchurri sauce or mango salsa or chutney to it. Always good.

Cube your chicken and bake them alongside onion and pineapple chunks. Or make kebabs, but it's the same either way.

Quick Tikki Masala

Lettuce Wraps

Some type of chicken kiev

This recipe is part of my regular rotation: Roast chicken breasts with chickpeas and tomatoes

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

BLerchg posted:

If you cut out the green onions it's low carb!

Or perhaps something a little more... ethnic?

But seriously, I seldom see chicken breast recipes that don't look gross, so thanks to the people who posted serious ones.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

goodness posted:

Maybe north east coast, don't put that on all of us.

Everything in the north east coast shuts down at midnight, must be the south

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Maybe it's just this area, but around here del taco is so heinously, ungodly awful that it makes taco bell look like a shining bastion of all that is mexican food.

As a pro-choice for late-night debauchery, around here there's a place that will deliver pizza, gyros, and ice cream until 4:00am. Nothing like a 2 in the morning gyro with some cookies n' cream.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Everything in the north east coast shuts down at midnight, must be the south

I lived in the south for 15 years and never heard of it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

There's a Topper's here in Charlotte and I've only ever heard people speak ill of it. One night when my parents were visiting they got the late night drunk munchies and ordered some - they said it was cold when it was delivered, the cheese had slid off the top during the delivery drive, and it was loving awful. I can't say I've ever tried it but they're pretty serious about their pizza so I believed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hey goons I need some help.

Mothers day is sunday. My wife loves her some Mul Naengmyeon. I can get it pre made, but I'd like to try making at least the broth from scratch. Anyone done this before?