Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

MrYenko posted:

I saw her in person, up close, back in ~2007 or so. One of the most beautiful, intricate, well-executed aircraft paint jobs I've ever seen.

drat, that's loving beautiful. Looks like Deus Ex Human Revolution stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

marumaru
May 20, 2013

What's the story here?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Inacio posted:

What's the story here?

Gimli Glider! Some of the most incredible flying ever in the history of man is the story. Look it up. Helluva read.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

holocaust bloopers posted:

Gimli Glider! Some of the most incredible flying ever in the history of man is the story. Look it up. Helluva read.

And one hell of a way to gently caress up math. Stupid imperial system.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cBuh6MnTyI

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

jaegerx posted:

And one hell of a way to gently caress up math. Stupid imperial system.

I wish they saved the Navigators notebook with his math.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

The Locator posted:

Why is a fire truck following them after they landed?
They're F-22's, it's a standard MX attachment for a TDY deployment.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Luneshot fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 8, 2015

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

EpicPhoton posted:

Here's the planes arriving this morning. I'm tempted to just swing down and check them out in the parking lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH5jQ5cb1Lg

That sure is a gorgeous plane. :allears:

Thanks for the video of the Super Connie! Not sure why you kept cutting away from her, but there are enough good frames for me. :swoon:

(PS the F-22s are beautiful too, nice work getting them in the Super Constellation video!)

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

I'm blanking on this.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

buttcrackmenace posted:

I'm blanking on this.

Shoe bomber?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Duke Chin posted:

They mistook them for F-35's

:lol:

SeaborneClink posted:

They're F-22's, it's a standard MX attachment for a TDY deployment.

Ok. Why? And what's an MX attachment?

The Locator fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 8, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oh man, a four-engined 767. :fap:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

The Locator posted:

First, in order for an F22 to catch on fire, it actually has to be airborne before it can fly into the end of the runway. Second, the other F22 is only along to be a flying spare parts bin for the first.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Awesome post. Pretty much the best combination of all of my interests in one video: Cars, Racing, Airplanes, Airplane Crashes, and Military Action. Also possibly the only video in which you'll see both Nikki Lauda and an M1 Abrams.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Locator posted:

MX = Maintenance.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MX = Maintenance
WX = Weather
PAX = Passengers
FX = Flying
DSX = Doing Something
AX = Abbreviations

X makes things look cool

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

buttcrackmenace posted:

I'm blanking on this.

:ssh: Richard "The Reason We All Gotta Take Off Our Goddamn Shoes In The US" Reid's flight was, if you haven't guessed already, a 767

Ed:

SeaborneClink posted:

for a TDY deployment.

I suck at acronyms - what's TDY stand for in this instance?

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 8, 2015

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

TDX = Asking questions about TDY.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think I've ever been on a 767.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

:ssh: Richard "The Reason We All Gotta Take Off Our Goddamn Shoes In The US" Reid's flight was, if you haven't guessed already, a 767

Ed:

Temporary Duty. I preferred the acronym TAD for Temporary Additional Duty, or Traveling Around Drunk.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

The rising sun insignia makes any plane look cool.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE2Yn0cipTY

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Are these hypothetical 767 variants in order to meet ETOPS?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Duke Chin posted:

Really? For some reason I really thought it was an A330.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Piper PA-32 crashes on i-285 in Atlanta

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/doraville/2015/05/08/plane-crash-i285-dekalb/26974275/

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I didn't know this was happening until just now. Shitload of warbirds flying over DC today, starts in about 25 minutes.

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2920332/education/faa-big-tech-challenges-for-massive-washington-dc-warbirds-flyover.html

Here's a livestream:

http://events.dacast.com/?webcast_id=9

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

CommieGIR posted:

One of the few flying Lancasters made an emergency landing after the #4 engine malfunctioned and had a small fire. All safe.

This is one of two flyable Lancasters, it's the other one that had something similar happen last year during it's visit to the UK. They had to borrow an engine from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight to complete the tour and get back home. Proving that Packard Merlins and Rolls Royce Merlins will interchange if you really need them to.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

holocaust bloopers posted:

Wikipedia posted:

The Aviation Safety Board of Canada (predecessor of the modern Transportation Safety Board of Canada) found the airline at fault, while the Air Canada investigation concluded that the pilots and mechanics were at fault.

surprise = 0

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

God drat there wasn't much left of that.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

To show you how long it's been in use, it originally was an abbreviation for "Temporary Duty Yonder."

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

~Coxy posted:

Are these hypothetical 767 variants in order to meet ETOPS?

Not really. The executive summary version is that the 767 had a very long and torturous development; the 7X7 program (which ultimately became the 767 program) has roots as far back as 1973, not long after the 2707 was cancelled and the 747 program had begun to pay itself off. Basically, three things were going on at the time; first, airlines were shopping around for a 727 replacement - they wanted a versatile, narrowbody airliner capable of flights up to transcontinental in length, with similar or better runway performance, much less noise and, since the oil embargo was in full swing, considerable fuel savings at the same time. Second, the airlines, specifically United, were looking for a much larger aircraft - larger than a 727 but smaller than the the DC-10/L-1011/747 and in largely in line with the 707/DC-8 - for short to medium-haul interhub flights and to large "spoke" destinations. The third and final thing that happened was that the Europeans banded together and built an aircraft that basically met the second requirement, in the form of the Airbus A300.

Ultimately, the aircraft that was to meet the first requirement grew into the 7N7 program, which ultimately became the 757. The second aircraft, on the other hand, became the 7X7, and went through a number of revisions before it reached its ultimate form. Initially, noise production and the desire for good runway performance made Boeing consider some pretty radical designs, with overslung engines:

The idea here is that the wing would shield most of the noise from observers on the ground, and that the exhaust flowing over the top of the wing would boost takeoff performance. As the program continued, fuel economy became more and more important; remember that during the 7X7 program, the American airline industry deregulated, meaning the airlines all of a sudden had to compete with one another and as a result, operating cost was number one. This meant that the number of engines had to drop to a minimum (engines are by far and away the most expensive parts of an aircraft and require the lion's share of the maintenance budget) and the aerodynamics of the aircraft had to be optimised for economy first and foremost. Then, that's when we see the concepts I posted above, as well as this one, emerge:

You've probably noticed that all of these are a joint-venture between Boeing and Aeritalia; at the time, Boeing was still in kind of rough shape financially from the huge costs incurred by the 747 and 2707 program, plus the 7N7 program was taking up an increasingly large amount of resources as well, so Boeing sought a partner for the program...a European one, ideally one they could keep out of the Airbus consortium. Thus, Aeritalia was chosen to work with Boeing on this new aircraft; ultimately, Aeritalia gave up their position as partner in the 7X7, but since then they have been one of Boeing's largest subcontractors in every airliner they've built since (for better or worse). Anyway, the three-engine 7X7 concept pictured above had its roots in the desire to replace the 707-320s and DC-8 Series 60s on long, less-popular intercontinental flights. At the time, twin-engine aircraft could not fly further than an hour's flight from the nearest airport; not a problem over land, but over the oceans, it becomes problematic. Therefore, a third engine, as well as larger fuel tanks and many other changes, would be added to the 7X7, with that aircraft ultimately to be branded as the 777 (not having anything to do with the 767X program fifteen years later, which ultimately became the 777 we know today).

In the late 1970s, towards the end of the 7X7 program, Boeing had enough data from 747 operations to prove that it might just be safe to allow extended-range flights of twin-engine airliners, and decided to axe the long-range, three-engine concept and instead, build an extended range version of the twin-engine aircraft. This proved to be a hit with the airlines, and thus the 767 program was launched. Still, much work lay ahead, trying to prove the safety and viability of the 767 to the regulators. You have to remember that at the time, the 767 was a revolutionary aircraft; it was the first airliner to have a two-man flight deck (though an option did exist for a three-man flight deck, taken up only by Ansett Airlines of Australia), it was the first airliner to share a common cockpit and common type rating with another aircraft (the 757), and of course it was the first twin-engine airliner designed to operate on what ultimately became ETOPS flights...needless to say, Boeing had a LOT to prove to the regulators of the day.

The 767's optional flight engineer station.

So there, in a nutshell, is how the 767 came to be and also why it was numbered out of sequence with the 757 in terms of first flight and entry into service - the program started before the 757 program, but wasn't given the go ahead until after the 757 program was "numbered", for lack of a better way of putting it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

:swoon:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

StandardVC10 posted:

Really? For some reason I really thought it was an A330.

Nope, it was the star of this page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_shoe_bomb_plot

:golfclap: This post is a great post and these two concepts are, as holly blops put it: :swoon:-worthy

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Oh my gosh that long body tri jet variant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

F-18 with the Jolly Roger tail just landed at KGEG. How lost is he?