Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Quest For Glory II posted:

ESA is EXTREMELY Metroid, trust me.

True but at the same time,

Axiom Verge can probably only get more Metroid by outright changing the player character to Samus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahahah that final sequence

Where the gently caress do you even get a stuffed unicorn

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Origin is having a 33% discount off certain games with an additional 25% with a coupon code. However Get To Work and Outdoor Retreat is an extra :10bux: here on AusOrigin, not the mention the base game is $$$+ too.
The question is if I use proxies to get the US price instead of Aus prices, does Origin follow up on that and ban the poo poo out of me? Or is it really a non-issue since I haven't done it before?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So I'm looking around Steam and I notice something called Malebolgia and it looks like it's Killer 7 graphics in Dark Souls Belgium....anyone played it? Cause I'm wondering if it's at least somewhat entertaining.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Croccers posted:

Origin is having a 33% discount off certain games with an additional 25% with a coupon code. However Get To Work and Outdoor Retreat is an extra :10bux: here on AusOrigin, not the mention the base game is $$$+ too.
The question is if I use proxies to get the US price instead of Aus prices, does Origin follow up on that and ban the poo poo out of me? Or is it really a non-issue since I haven't done it before?

I've never heard of anyone getting into trouble for circumventing region prices on Origin.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Croccers posted:

My Mexican version of Dragon Age Inquisition is still working afaik.

edit: Does anyone know if GoG is also as lenient or as strict as Steam?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Croccers posted:

A couple years ago there was some sales glitch that allowed people to get over a dozen games for free on origin (AAA games, not just nobody indies) and nobody was banned or even had their games removed from their libraries, so go nuts

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Kibayasu posted:

Conan calls himself "clueless" but he always manages to cut to the heart of every video game he plays.
Conan is always spot on with his reviews, it turns out being an overall reasonable person goes a long way in viewing video games.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

ESA is EXTREMELY Metroid, trust me.

Axiom Verge SUPER EXTREMELY2 Metroid, trust me.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Hey so in case anyone was wondering about Survarium - the Early Access free-to-play arena shooter from Vostok Games published April 2nd - it sucks! It sucks a lot; don't play it!

Good news first because we all love good news and I think we would all like a game to succeed. The visuals aren't terrible.

The game looks like it's using a lightweight version of the X-ray engine because certain light effects look exactly like STALKER at its best. Load times are almost non-existent on an SSD and the sound design has that nice indoor reverb. It didn't take long to find a match and I didn't have to jump through a ton of hoops to set up a new account just to get into the game. Combat has some nice touches. If your character is shot there is a chance that you will become wounded and you have to use once-per-spawn items to either close the wound or temporarily stop the bleeding. Hit detection seemed pretty good in that being shot in different parts of your body will negatively effect you differently, but otherwise combat is short and violent which can be enjoyably tense.

Bad news: just about everything else. The first thing you'll notice is that moving around sucks. It just loving sucks and feels bad. Your character bounces and bobs erratically as you make your way through the very poorly designed levels. Getting clipped on geometry magically teleports your character on top of whatever you touch - be it a railing, bookcase, desk, pile of rubble, or whatever else is slightly below chest height. You move slowly and have very limited sprint capacity. I don't think I've played any game other than maybe ARMA II that made running feel this bad.

The gunplay is trash. I know they're going for the pseudo-realistic real bullets do real damage thing but getting murdered before you can even register hearing the gunshots isn't fun when it's the only way you die. Combine the piss poor movement and lethality of combat and you have a recipe for 80% of the players just finding a corner and camping with bolt action rifles and high ROF SMGs. As an aside, I don't think the game has spawn protection because my first match was an absolute stomp where our team just camped right outside their spawn area and shot people in the back as they walked past us.

On top of this, combat does not feel rewarding or interesting in any capacity. Your character reloads like an old man easing into a hot tub and the weapons have piss poor animations. Your character only has one audio clip reaction to taking damage and it's a very soft grown. Shot in the head? Uuhh. Shot and bleed out? Uuhh. Punched to death? Uuhh. Touch an anomaly? uuhh.

Before I get much further, I should mention that the game uses the same light-RPG elements of the STALKER series. You equip armor that balances weight, durability, protection, and anomaly protection. You can carry only a few clips/magazines of ammo and additional supplies must be carefully selected based on your other gear. Do you take an assload of bandages or an assload of not-bandages? The choices are endless. They do add the ability for your character to level up and slowly gains skills and abilities that make even the Path of Exile garbage skill web look enticing. It's a bunch of boring garbage, but what did you honestly expect?

Speaking of anomalies. Anomalies are the X-factor, they randomly spawn on the battlefield and only exist for a short period of time. I'm throwing this in the negative column because the vast majority of anomalies my character interacted with just killed me instantly (like the anomaly from the image above). Well, not quite instantly. My health went from 100% to 0%, then my character let out a very soft sigh and fell over while blood splattered my screen artistically. I'm sure the game developers would say this death was visceral. I've had anomalies actually spawn on me to very obvious results.

Either way, our team won and the game let me use my F2P money to loot the map for items. I got 250 coins, some green boots, and a grey SMG which I could use to shoot a whole lot of people in the back with if I ever return. The image above is pretty neat because the game glitched out and gave me a bunch of menus in Cyrillic. I couldn't click on anything and so I had to restart the game. :early access: I realized that, after losing all accumulated progress after restarting, that I should probably not do the tutorial again, but that just means I got to join the sick skull faction so I guess that's some nice silver lining. For those wondering, the tutorial is a handful of text boxes telling you what to equip before a button appears that dumps you into a match.

Survarium (jesus christ that name just does not stop sounding terrible) appears to lean pretty heavy into pay-to-win which is honestly neither here nor there; no one should spend either time or money on this game. It's a bad game.

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 8, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finished Xeodrifter. Pretty good! The abilities are novel (the ability to hop between FG and BG, while taken from Mutant Mudds, is brilliant for a Metroid-style game). Only issue is: it's short (I beat it in 2 hours, not 100% tho), and you fight the same boss a lot. The boss gains more and more attack patterns and higher HP each time, so it's not literally the same encounter, but it's obvious this was originally a 3DS eShop game.

And finished Spud's Quest, which was an excellent Dizzy Zelda Metroid Point N Click Puzzle Platformer Adventure Vania.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Took me a long while to realize Survarium wasn't called Survairium. I do agree with your review, the cash shop has all kinds of red flags, kinda like Heroes and Generals. It's also poorly optimized, but that's expected I guess.

On the note of Early Access shooters:

http://gfycat.com/WeightySnappyHorseshoecrab

Orv
May 4, 2011

Niggurath posted:

So I'm looking around Steam and I notice something called Malebolgia and it looks like it's Killer 7 graphics in Dark Souls Belgium....anyone played it? Cause I'm wondering if it's at least somewhat entertaining.

Thank you for reminding me it existed, meant to pick it up once it got out of EA and forgot. Got to the first boss, am definitely going to continue but here's some thoughts. It oozes style out of every hole, but the biggest of those holes is that you have only have two weapons the entire game, and three attacks total with the two of them. Combine this with the fact that you can't strafe while locked onto an enemy, and that the block system is very, very punishing, being timing rather than hold, it's not an easy to control game. I definitely like what I've seen of it so far and I can see myself beating it if various Steam comments on length are correct, but it is definitely clunky.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Azran posted:

On the note of Early Access shooters:

http://gfycat.com/WeightySnappyHorseshoecrab

The more I watch this the more it bothers me the enemy just disappears into a couple giblets and blood. Sure the shotgun should be effective closeup but bleh.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
You're missing the rest of the body flying off and over the hill on the horizon.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Xeras posted:

The more I watch this the more it bothers me the enemy just disappears into a couple giblets and blood. Sure the shotgun should be effective closeup but bleh.

I'm somewhat surprised you didn't notice the body after watching it multiple times. Don't focus so much on the center of the screen because the blood wants to deceive you.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Xeras posted:

The only part in that gif that actually vaporizes is the skull. The arm gets ripped off and the body goes flying because the double barrel makes enemies physics like that.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Axiom Verge is as amazing. Imagine Metroid and all its glitches, and then imagine a version of Metroid in which those glitches are deliberate part of the game mechanics.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Palpek posted:

Conan is always spot on with his reviews, it turns out being an overall reasonable person goes a long way in viewing video games.

That certainly explains a lot about the current appalling state of video game reviewing.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Underwhelmed posted:

Axiom Verge is as amazing. Imagine Metroid and all its glitches, and then imagine a version of Metroid in which those glitches are deliberate part of the game mechanics.

Holy poo poo, this sounds like a dream come true. Definitely checking this and ESA out.

How's the sequence breaking potential?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Morter posted:

Re-asking this one more time.

Just remove that "?redeemer=e-mail address" and it'll work fine.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Left me crying. Best one he's done in a while.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Although that stuffed unicorn sex scene is straight from a swery game I swear to god.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Had a dream last night that I was playing GTA and after beating Michael Jordan in the U.S. Presidential election, Trevor Phillips had a mission where he had to fire off a rocket launcher while riding a motorcycle in order to take down a plane carrying the leader of North Korea. I kept missing. :negative:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stink Terios posted:

Holy poo poo, this sounds like a dream come true. Definitely checking this and ESA out.

How's the sequence breaking potential?

I can't think of any real way to do that except maybe getting very clever with the drone launcher (you can remote control a drone through levels, which you can fire airborne). It does encourage speed running and low percent runs though.

Be warned that the bosses are all garbage.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I really love those devs. :allears:

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

Groupees BeMine 19

$1+

Jones on Fire + OST
Magicraft (greenlight)

$4+
Woolfe: The Red Hood Diaries
NaissanceE
Dokuro
Grim Legends 2: Song of the Dark Swan
18 Wheels of Steel: Extreme Trucker

For other HOG fans, it's a historic minimum for Grim Legends 2.

Note that there are some server problems right now, so some people can't view their keys :v:
should be fixed now

Hogo Fogo fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 8, 2015

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

These guys rule

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
God drat Kingdoms of Amalur is like crack cocaine for unemployed poors who have 200 hours to kill.
Can't recommend this enough for 10$

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Fun Times! posted:

Had a dream last night that I was playing GTA and after beating Michael Jordan in the U.S. Presidential election, Trevor Phillips had a mission where he had to fire off a rocket launcher while riding a motorcycle in order to take down a plane carrying the leader of North Korea. I kept missing. :negative:
Dear Leader will never be defeated by your tools of Capitalist oppression.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

sauer kraut posted:

God drat Kingdoms of Amalur is like crack cocaine for unemployed poors who have 200 hours to kill.
Can't recommend this enough for 10$

Curt Schilling plays it himself for this reason

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Fun Times! posted:

Funny enough, Nork Murder Simulator 2011 Mass Grave Crawling out Simulator 2011 Homefront is the daily deal!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

clueless gamer is my favorite thing

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hogo Fogo posted:

Groupees BeMine 19

$1+

Jones on Fire + OST
Magicraft (greenlight)

$4+
Woolfe: The Red Hood Diaries
NaissanceE
Dokuro
Grim Legends 2: Song of the Dark Swan
18 Wheels of Steel: Extreme Trucker

For other HOG fans, it's a historic minimum for Grim Legends 2.

Note that there are some server problems right now, so some people can't view their keys :v:
should be fixed now
I dunno what it says about me that anything I'm even vaguely interested in (Woolfe) I'm buying into. I think it's because I've beaten so many games on Steam that I'm starting to struggle to choose new ones that I want to play so now I'm getting more impulsive.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
As a person who likes shooters, even some bad ones, :siren::911:Don't get Homefront:911::siren:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gently caress. NOSTALGIA

http://store.steampowered.com/app/359650/

admataY
Oct 16, 2008

Morter posted:

As a person who likes shooters, even some bad ones, :siren::911:Don't get Homefront:911::siren:

Counterpoint :
The final boss is an armored SUV that growl like a dinosaur.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Don't ctrl+v, devs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I finally got around to playing the Dirty Bomb beta. I'm not a fan, to be honest. People are bullet sponges and the shooting doesn't feel good at all. You start out with basically no ammo and ammo packs barely give you any ammo and disappear once someone runs into it. The game is Splash Damage through and through and probably won't be any good once it comes out. I'll try it some more but my first few matches weren't fun.

• Locked thread