Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Elysiume posted:

I love how many kickstarters have the risks and challenges filled in with "none, I can do this easily."

That or the risk is not getting funded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Elysiume posted:

I love how many kickstarters have the risks and challenges filled in with "none, I can do this easily."
I don't know if I prefer those ones or the ones who take way more words and buzzwords to say the same thing.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

WebDog posted:

Co-owns. It was setup by a game developer friend of his who decided that alcohol + games = good social atmosphere. Yahtzee is sort of like a celeb endorsement. The Queensland incarnation seems to be holding up. One small advantage of it being a licensed venue is that it keeps all the kids away.

I went to the one in Brisbane a few times when I lived there. It was actually a really neat place, but I had no idea who owned it.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Paladinus posted:

You can kind of tell that he's not exactly 100% serious with his kickstarters.

From the comment section:

quote:

I don't expect this project to be successful. There is no reason for my to expect that. As you and Geist have already pointed out, none of my project so far have been. (Although I should point out that even though my projects have not been successfully funded they were finished successfully. That is a big difference.)
This project is social commentary on the mindlessness of American popular culture. That is all. But if the project was successfully funded, there would be a Exploding Zombie Puppies card game. And from my observation of Kickstarter and America in general, the vast majority of projects (board games, video games, etc) are rip-offs. I am just honest about it.
How can it be family fun? Have you been paying attention to the environment that American children are growing up in? But you are right, this is not a game for children. (Although it is not much different to many video games that children play. Also, while I use the words sex, sexy and ejaculation in the campaign, they are not used in the card game. Children aren't backers. Adults are backers. So I think I am safe here.
Game play, instructions and art will be posted over the next few days in the Updates section.

I don't think this is really the rich social commentary he's going for, but at least he's trying.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Risks: my inability to analyze risk.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

ALFbrot posted:

From the comment section:

quote:

I don't expect this project to be successful. There is no reason for my to expect that. As you and Geist have already pointed out, none of my project so far have been. (Although I should point out that even though my projects have not been successfully funded they were finished successfully.

So what in the gently caress is the point of his Kickstarters if he's able to finish them without funding?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

bvoid posted:

So what in the gently caress is the point of his Kickstarters if he's able to finish them without funding?

Cash money, money comin' in on freightliners.

Cash money, gott'em buyin' these great diamonds

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 18:18 on May 7, 2015

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
You know if you guys want to know how Yahtzee feels about his persona and criticism you could just ask him. He is a goon after all.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Talorat posted:

You know if you guys want to know how Yahtzee feels about his persona and criticism you could just ask him. He is a goon after all.

He hasn't been active for almost 5 years.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

flosofl posted:

No goon has.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Maw posted:

No goon has.

:prepop:

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Maw posted:

No goon has.

Don't loop us in with your inadequacies.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

bvoid posted:

Devil's advocate: Shadowrun Hong Kong was going to come out no matter the Kickstarter status. The Kickstarter was to add additional features and expand the project. It went from a dlc-sized standalone to full game like Dragonfall Director's Cut.

Harebrained runs a classy KS.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Snuffman posted:

Devil's advocate: Shadowrun Hong Kong was going to come out no matter the Kickstarter status. The Kickstarter was to add additional features and expand the project. It went from a dlc-sized standalone to full game like Dragonfall Director's Cut.

Harebrained runs a classy KS.

Larian did the same thing with Divinity: OS, in that they could have finished the game without extra funding but there were some things they wanted to do that would have gotten cut out if they were just using their own money.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Great Rumbler posted:

Larian did the same thing with Divinity: OS, in that they could have finished the game without extra funding but there were some things they wanted to do that would have gotten cut out if they were just using their own money.

I wish they didn't implement crafting. It was super fiddly and ultimately pointless.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

flosofl posted:

He stopped posting after he got chased out of YCS for stealing their jokes in his reviews but he still shows up in the "Members Browsing..." forum lists every now and then.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Paladinus posted:

I wish they didn't implement crafting. It was super fiddly and ultimately pointless.

Much like Stealing. I'm glad I read up on the skill before wasting points on it. :(

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Yooka-Laylee: the game is already funded and getting made but gently caress you, pay us anyways.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I'm not really seeing the problem with using Kickstarter to generate interest in a project, improve the base product with the funds and expand its scope and reach. That's what an intelligent thing to do with a kickstarter.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I'm sorry, you seem to have posted in the wrong thread. This is for awful Kickstarters, not good ones.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

senrath posted:

I'm sorry, you seem to have posted in the wrong thread. This is for awful Kickstarters, not good ones.

agreed, a service that was created to allow creative and original projects that wouldn't normally be funded being used as a glorified pre-order for a carbon copy of a 20 year-old game is Epic For The Win, Shut Up And Take My Money, Right In The Childhood

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Sleeveless posted:

agreed, a service that was created to allow creative and original projects that wouldn't normally be funded being used as a glorified pre-order for a carbon copy of a 20 year-old game is Epic For The Win, Shut Up And Take My Money, Right In The Childhood

You failed to post a lot of other ones that came before this, then.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
It's like how I hate that Facebook is being used for something other than allowing Harvard students to see photos of other Harvard students.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Sleeveless posted:

Agreed.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

did Banjo-Kazooie gently caress your wife or something

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Banjo Kazooie was kind of a lovely game. Donkey Kong Country was alright though I guess.

Rond
Mar 2, 2015
Banjo Kazooie / Banjo Tooie were great games, if they keep the "spirit" it's gonna be awesum!

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Sleeveless posted:

Kickstarter exists to allow the general public to directly connect with creators and decide what they want to support or not support. And clearly they want to support Yooka-Laylee. Sorry if that's offensive to you.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

I didn't fully understand this KickStarter, but I think the most important message is that god isn't dead, he's simply in another dimension and has lovely cell phone reception. The Cephas Meter app corrects for the difference in time flow between the mortal world and God's dimension, making your prayers more effective. Mr. Vaughn has already provided us with a handy formula and conversion chart, allowing you to calculate the optimum prayer time for yourself. So why should you invest in it?

quote:

Sure everything is basic at this point. That is why we need to complete the patent process and make the app. Because when the nuclear bombs begin to fall, and if WW3 happens, face it......you will want a device like this and be able to link with believers. At that point anything will help.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

quote:

Look I own all the intellectual property. I own the copyright for the theory and filed for a patent back in 2008. The publishing date of 9/11/2008 was pure coincidence as I filed the patent months earlier, but I consider it a good omen.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nice post/username combo.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
Banjo Kazooie was great, but I'm kind of stunned that hundreds of people paid $500 for a souvenir of a spinoff game, 15 people paid $5k each to cameo in it, and 10 people paid $8k to listen to Banjo Kazooie music being played by an orchestra.

This really is what Kickstarter is for: providing mind-bogglingly expensive "exclusive" pop culture experiences for the ultra-rich.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
10 Meeeellion Dollars

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
I would pay $8k... to go to Bayreuth on my honeymoon. I wouldn't pay $8k for Banjo Kazooie. But I'm a loving snob.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I'm surprised these people are able to bilk so much out of an economically strained population.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Goons getting mad at other people liking/wanting to pay for things they don't like is incredibly hilarious.

Kickstarters are funny when they are idiots who have no idea what they are doing asking for money for projects that are way over their head. Also when the project is an obvious scam and completely unfeasible. These guys know how to make video games and will undoubtedly produce said video game and if you don't like that than don't play it I guess.

Can we go back to making fun of 12 year olds wanting to make mega man games again, please?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Nagato posted:

Banjo Kazooie was great, but I'm kind of stunned that hundreds of people paid $500 for a souvenir of a spinoff game, 15 people paid $5k each to cameo in it, and 10 people paid $8k to listen to Banjo Kazooie music being played by an orchestra.

Isn't the Banjo Kazooie soundtrack pretty simplistic, though? I really enjoyed those games as a child, but I don't know how well they would hold up outside of the game, much less how appreciative they'd be as interpreted by an orchestra.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Goons getting mad at other people liking/wanting to pay for things they don't like is incredibly hilarious.

Kickstarters are funny when they are idiots who have no idea what they are doing asking for money for projects that are way over their head. Also when the project is an obvious scam and completely unfeasible. These guys know how to make video games and will undoubtedly produce said video game and if you don't like that than don't play it I guess.

Can we go back to making fun of 12 year olds wanting to make mega man games again, please?

The goon was mad because the kickstarter was likely already 100% privately funded and going to come out regardless of how much or little money made it into the kickstarter, which is a lovely thing if you're hiding it but in the case of Yooka Laylee they're pretty up front about it. So you're basically just pre-ordering a game through a website, but there is a point to be made that maybe Kickstarter shouldn't just be a glorified pre-order website for the big players.

Thankfully kickstarter won't just become a pre-order site, the big players won't edge 12-year-olds with mega man games out, and goons will never stop posting about what other goons like to do.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Prop Wash posted:

The goon was mad because the kickstarter was likely already 100% privately funded and going to come out regardless of how much or little money made it into the kickstarter, which is a lovely thing if you're hiding it but in the case of Yooka Laylee they're pretty up front about it. So you're basically just pre-ordering a game through a website, but there is a point to be made that maybe Kickstarter shouldn't just be a glorified pre-order website for the big players.

Thankfully kickstarter won't just become a pre-order site, the big players won't edge 12-year-olds with mega man games out, and goons will never stop posting about what other goons like to do.

Nobody's mad, it's just really funny that they're so openly fleecing people and there are people are so desperate to recapture the fuzzy nostalgia of playing the original games as kids that they're still giving them thousands of dollars anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
To be fair, I'd rather give my money to the guys who are openly fleecing me than repeat the "We got more than ten times our funding goal, so let's ask for even more money, then get another publisher on-board to cut our costs further" fiasco from Mighty Number 9.