Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Cheers, but I'm only after Shulk. I've just beem sharing sightings for the other 3/4 local goons if they want'em (we get gently caress-all stock in Aus) :v:. And you should've stayed in the thread because I mentioned seeing a few of both of those at the Bourke St one a week or two ago.

I might re-sub if I can find it, I left when there was thread whinging about people posting their collections

In unrelated news, yes-asia just cancelled my Lil' Mac & Captain Falcon amiibos :(

at least the email they sent out said that if your order was >$15, and you paid via Paypal you'd get it refunded to your paypal account.

Holding out hope that my Pit isn't cancelled.

majormonotone posted:

According to the recent investors' briefing, Australia receives about 3% of all amiibo shipments. The US and Canada receive 66%...and it's still impossible to find a huge number of amiibo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tithin posted:

I might re-sub if I can find it, I left when there was thread whinging about people posting their collections

It's right here.

majormonotone posted:

According to the recent investors' briefing, Australia receives about 3% of all amiibo shipments. The US and Canada receive 66%...and it's still impossible to find a huge number of amiibo.

That explains so, so much :sigh:.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
What do amiibos actually do? Do I need them?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

They're children's toys that grown men stand in lines outside of Best Buys at 1 in the morning to buy and sell on eBay. They don't actually do anything of note.

edit: Oh wait that's right Code Name STEAM does some cool stuff if you have one of like three hard to find amiibos. That's neat.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

12bux for a tiny artificially scarce plastic statue of a cartoon character to unlock ingame content.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley has a EU release date, it'll be out June 19. It doesn't suck!

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I pre-ordered the PAD Mario game just for the sheer weirdness of being able to pre-load a game on the 3DS. I also got the gift code so I hope the item is good!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Static Rook posted:

I pre-ordered the PAD Mario game just for the sheer weirdness of being able to pre-load a game on the 3DS. I also got the gift code so I hope the item is good!

Same here. I've also been using the demo to practice, and I'm starting to get more consistent at getting at least 4 combos set up each time. It'll probably be harder once the 6th color is thrown in, though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Top 20 sales chart for last week in Japan:

code:
01./00. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition <RPG> (GungHo) {2015.04.29} - 178.525 / NEW
02./00. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online <RPG> (Enix) {2015.04.30} - 89.513 / NEW
03./00. [WIU] Xenoblade Chronicles X <RPG> (Nintendo) {2015.04.29} - 86.119 / NEW
04./00. [WII] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online <RPG> (Enix) {2015.04.30} - 79.888 / NEW
05./03. [3DS] Style Savvy 3: Kira Kira Code <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.04.16} - 24.094 / 109.456 (-8%)
06./01. [3DS] Bravely Second: End Layer <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.04.23} - 22.838 / 118.676 (-76%)
07./06. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony) {2015.03.19} - 15.520 / 138.346 (+18%)
08./00. [PSV] Saenai Kanojo no Sodatekata: Blessing Flowers <ADV> (5pb.) {2015.04.30} - 10.622 / NEW
09./00. [PSV] To Heart 2: Dungeon Travelers <ADV> (Aqua Plus) {2015.04.30} - 10.339 / NEW
10./00. [PSV] New Tokyo Legacy: Operation Babel <RPG> (5pb.) {2015.04.30} - 8.471 / NEW
11./15. [WIU] Mario Party 10 <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.03.12} - 8.471 / 135.496 (+57%)
12./07. [PS4] Dying Light <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2015.04.16} - 7.970 / 43.817 (-23%)
13./13. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.12.13} - 7.367 / 2.629.975 (+24%)
14./11. [3DS] Ansatsu Kyoushitsu: Korosensei Daihouimou!! <ACT> (Bandai Namco {2015.03.12} - 6.811 / 60.522 (+0%)
15./21. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} - 6.400 / 958.362 (+69%)
16./19. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13}  - 5.844 / 2.228.145 (+42%)
17./16. [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} - 4.800 / 137.665 (-2%)
18./17. [PS4] Bloodborne  <RPG> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.26} - 4.250 / 195.825 (-5%)
19./04. [PS3] BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2015.04.23} - 4.188 / 23.994 (-79%)
20./10. [PS4] Tropico 5 <SLG> (Square Enix) {2015.04.23} - 3.772 / 11.139 (-49%)
All new Vita games selling 10k numbers and under, the biggest Wii U release this year barely making a mark even when bundled with the console, this is it, you guys: the Japanese videogame market is dead for anything that is not smartphone gaming.

It's the end of an era. Next year there won't be much of anything with even the holdout companies moving into other markets.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
86k is pretty good for a console game in Japan these days.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The handhelds are doing perfectly fine.

e: Okay, one of them is.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Depending on the game, amiibo do different things:

Smash Bros: unlocks a Figure Player which is a customizable CPU opponent that can end up stronger than regular CPU fighters and have special abilities.

Mario Kart 8: unlock racing suits for Mii drivers

Captain Toad: Toad amiibo activates "pixel toad hide and seek" all other amiibo give extra lives

Hyrule Warriors: any amiibo will give a random item/weapon/rupee drop, a Zelda franchise amiibo will unlock a random higher starred weapon for that character. The first time you scan a Link or Toon Link, you unlock the Spinner weapon for Link to use

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse: the 3 Kirby franchise amiibo unlock different power ups.

Amiibo Tap: unlocks short demos of up to 30 different NES/SNES games. Actually cooler than it sounds, as the different demo scenes are set for different points in the game. For example, Super Mario Bros starts you out on the first level of each world, and Super Metroid cycles through all the boss fights.

Codename STEAM: Fire Emblem franchise amiibo can be scanned to unlock that character as a playable unit

Ace Combat: unlocks Nintendo themed planes

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Also: they are friends.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Well...that's way nicer than my list

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I just got a raise and more hours so I bought myself Bravely Default to celebrate. Does the demo unlock anything interesting, or should I go straight into the actual game?

EDIT: VVV Ok, thanks. Skip it it is.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 8, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You get some super early stuff like equipment and phoenix downs. Really it'll let you go somewhat better equipped into the first dungeon and that's about it.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
It also gives you 10 street pass people, which is nice.

It really feels like the Amiibos are underused for goofy fun crap, like more first party titles could throw in costumes or something. Hell, let me tap a Samus Amiibo in HM4U to unlock the Samus costume without having to quest for it. I don't want them to be necessary, like for unlocking characters, but drat, basically no reason to not throw out a bone in most games.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ugh, why did platinum rewards expire at the end of April? Everything else is up until June. I couldn't decide what I wanted and finally decided on Mario Golf and just found out my reward can't be redeemed now. Is customer service good about dealing with this?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Anora posted:

It also gives you 10 street pass people, which is nice.

You can actually cheese it and get a bajillion street pass people which is a HUUUUGE advantage. It's up to you as to whether that's something you want though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
OK, those yarn amiibo are pretty cute.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Tender Bender posted:

Ugh, why did platinum rewards expire at the end of April? Everything else is up until June. I couldn't decide what I wanted and finally decided on Mario Golf and just found out my reward can't be redeemed now. Is customer service good about dealing with this?

Worth sending an email. The people at NoA are pretty top-notch when it comes to customer service.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Tender Bender posted:

You can try, but I'm guessing they'll tell you tough luck since the end date was clearly noted. If you give them a good story about being unable to redeem the reward until it was too late, they might be nice.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

You can actually cheese it and get a bajillion street pass people which is a HUUUUGE advantage. It's up to you as to whether that's something you want though.

I've been using HomePass anyways, so I don't really need to cheese it. :v:

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

All new Vita games selling 10k numbers and under, the biggest Wii U release this year barely making a mark even when bundled with the console, this is it, you guys: the Japanese videogame market is dead for anything that is not smartphone gaming.

That's actually pretty good, the first Xenoblade sold only 82k and that was on a console with a much larger install base and it doesn't include digital sales.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

You can try, but I'm guessing they'll tell you tough luck since the end date was clearly noted. If you give them a good story about being unable to redeem the reward until it was too late, they might be nice.

Yeah just tell them that you were in Iraq or in a coma or in prison or something. Or all 3

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

goferchan posted:

Yeah just tell them that you were in Iraq or in a coma or in prison or something. Or all 3

Big Boss?!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So was code name steam garbage or something? I remember people flipping out about how excited they were for it then it came out and I heard literally nothing about it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So was code name steam garbage or something? I remember people flipping out about how excited they were for it then it came out and I heard literally nothing about it.

It's dogshit, sorry to say. But it is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It wasn't bad really but it wasn't great either. The enemy turns took way too long (although they've patched that I think) which probably would resolve a lot of people's problems with it.

It mostly suffered for being compared to Valkyria Chronicles which does the same idea better.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'm going on a cruise to Europe (Italy, Spain, France) come June and need to get a charger for that part of the world. Doubt I'll spend much time playing it but want it charged for the flights/long travel. What charger would I need?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Louisgod posted:

I'm going on a cruise to Europe (Italy, Spain, France) come June and need to get a charger for that part of the world. Doubt I'll spend much time playing it but want it charged for the flights/long travel. What charger would I need?

Why not just get a USB charger?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

ChaosArgate posted:

Why not just get a USB charger?

I have one but want a traditional charger too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You can tap them to the NFC circuit on your New3DS / Wii U gamepad to unlock little bonuses on certain games. Nothing so much worth it that you should buy one specifically for any particular game (except maybe Mario Party 10 I guess? Because they unlock special boards on that game. Dunno if it's worth it there either.)

Basically, if you want one, you should buy it because you like the figurine first, and for whatever bonuses it might give you second.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I haven't played any Pokemon since Red/Blue, if I want to play one on 3DS what's the one to get?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

X/Y if you want the most recent new game, Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby if you want a remake of an older gen game.

I think X/Y is better but everyone will argue about it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

X/Y has insanely bad framerate issues in combat, idk if Sapphire/ruby has it cuz I didn't play it cuz THAT GEN SUCKED

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think there's really any reason to get Ruby/Sapphire over X or Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Get X or Y and if you need more Pokemon get Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire