Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

BrianWilly posted:

People have been saying that Superhero Things are going to burn out or implode or self-masticate or whatever for decades at this point. There are probably forum members here younger than however long it's been that people have been saying this. If Smallville and Green Lantern combined couldn't kill Superhero Things, it's not going away anytime soon.

I think the thing that people miss is that "superheros" is a pretty wide net to cast. Daredevil's "Blind lawyer by day, vigilante by night" show is almost totally different from The Flash's "Forensic scientist by day, speedster hero also by day and sometimes by night" despite a lot of surface similarities.

It's like that boom in police procedurals after CSI hit. CSI debuted in 2000, the same year that X-Men started the new wave "Superhero Thing." CSI spawned so many imitators, and a lot of them are still around. Hawaii 50 is "cops but on the beach", Blue Bloods is "cops but there's a whole family thing", NCIS is "cops but in the military", Brooklyn 99 is "cops but they're funny", Almost Human was "cops but in the future and one of them is a robot. And they're canceled because Fox suck." The variations are endless and we're unlikely to see cop shows go away anytime soon.

The same applies to superheros. Special effects are cheap enough that you can throw some powers and costumes (and maybe not even the costumes) to make a nearly endless number of "superheros but..." shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Wait, I saw the BBC Almost Human it it was like if Friends and Twilight had a baby is the U.S. Version that different?

Drifter posted:

Have you not seen Sony's Powers show based off the comic?

I was unaware this existed. Is it any good?

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 8, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bad Moon posted:

I've heard the budget is tragically low, or at least looks tragically low, and the problems just springboard from there. :(

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Can I get some recommendations for Flash comics? Is any of the New 52 line good? Are there any quintessential stories? Flashpoint? Anything else?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Bad Moon posted:

Wait, I saw the BBC Almost Human it it was like if Friends and Twilight had a baby is the U.S. Version that different?

Almost Human, not Being Human.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bad Moon posted:

No idea, but it just got renewed for a second season so I guess someone likes it

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Phylodox posted:

Almost Human, not Being Human.

Oh that was the robot cop show with Dr McCoy from Star Trek?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Bad Moon posted:

Oh that was the robot cop show with Dr McCoy from Star Trek?

I think you mean, Judge Dredd stars in a buddy cop show with a robotic Lenny Kravitz.

(seriously that show was awesome, fox is full of shitheads)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ElCondemn posted:

I think you mean, Judge Dredd stars in a buddy cop show with a robotic Lenny Kravitz.

No, that sets an unrealistic expectation that every episode has Karl Urban either kill everyone, or sentence them to 10 years in the cubes!

Klungar posted:

Can I get some recommendations for Flash comics? Is any of the New 52 line good? Are there any quintessential stories? Flashpoint? Anything else?

The initial Manapul run post-New 52 is good. Otherwise your best bets are Geoff Johns and Mark Waid's periods writing the series.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ElCondemn posted:

It had great moments and some awesome episodes but then they decided to air them out of order and gently caress everything up.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Klungar posted:

It started off solid then went to poo poo. Most of the quintessential modern stories are going to be about Wally West, who in the comics was Barry's teen sidekick who grew up and took over for a long time. Most of Barry's stuff was silver age and it is good but dated; I think you need an appreciation of the character first before digging back into that era.

Mark Waid's run on Wally conveniently starts with a "Year One" storyline that takes you through and updates (well as of 15 years ago) Wally's whole origin so you are not completely lost. Then definitely read The Return of Barry Allen which IMO is the best Flash story Waid ever wrote. Then if you dig Waid's style maybe pick up some of his other trades (or I guess nowadays it's easier to just get everything digital) but really where it picks up and gets incredibly good is Geoff Johns' entire run. Johns brings back the Rogues (Waid had a bit of an aversion to using them) and basically defined them for the modern era, which is largely why they are so good in the show. While I love Waid, he was inconsistent at best, whereas I feel like Johns had a metaplot running throughout his entire run and held things together.

Actually even if you are going to get these digital, my suggestion would be to check out the list of trades at the bottom of this page since it has the best aspects of Waid's run and all of Johns' stuff. Just stop after Rogue War, that is where it gets sketchy.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

ElCondemn posted:

This is so true. Season 2 could have had an episode of them just driving around and talking the whole time :allears::allears:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

McSpankWich posted:

It's funny, I've been watching this thinking "Man, they make Barry out to be such a dumbass in this show." So I rewatched some JLU episodes, turns out he's just as useless on that show. Every scene the flash is in is like *Speed punch 3 guys, run into laser beam/bomb/tentacle/bar/arm and be knocked out for like 10 minutes*

That's actually why he's my favorite character on that show. He's a slacker, a goofball, a clown through the whole thing because he's a guy who thinks having superpowers is the coolest thing ever. When he's with the original seven, he's the kid of the group, smack-talking and smart-alecking all the time while everyone else is an adult and trying to be serious. He's always the immature one who's screwing up. Whether it's blowing a hole in Wayne Manor, sponsoring Lightspeed bars and buying the Flash-mobile, throwing rocks and debris at, then taunting the Justice Lords Superman while the latter is trying to kill him. He doesn't take any of it very seriously because it's all fun and games to him. He enjoys playing hero.

That's why that moment against Luthor/Brainiac is so awesome, because that is the first time he gets really serious in that show.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wally is going to appear on the show to give Barry some Flash Facts about using the Speed Force to hit on chicks

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

My Q-Face posted:

That's actually why he's my favorite character on that show. He's a slacker, a goofball, a clown through the whole thing because he's a guy who thinks having superpowers is the coolest thing ever. When he's with the original seven, he's the kid of the group, smack-talking and smart-alecking all the time while everyone else is an adult and trying to be serious. He's always the immature one who's screwing up. Whether it's blowing a hole in Wayne Manor, sponsoring Lightspeed bars and buying the Flash-mobile, throwing rocks and debris at, then taunting the Justice Lords Superman while the latter is trying to kill him. He doesn't take any of it very seriously because it's all fun and games to him. He enjoys playing hero.

That's why that moment against Luthor/Brainiac is so awesome, because that is the first time he gets really serious in that show.

Hell yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXZWBJ-KKaU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pq4d7XDNhc

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Cold is always the voice of reason.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The scene before this is also great, I love how Wally just hangs out and helps out civilians on his "off hours"

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Bad Moon posted:

Ride that wave, CW. They made 80 CSI shows, you can do a D list Justice League with like Elongated Man or the 7 Soldiers

Constantine is up for grabs since NBC passed on renewing. Come on CW, you know you wanna.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

hangedman1984 posted:

Constantine is up for grabs since NBC passed on renewing. Come on CW, you know you wanna.

I saw the first two episodes of this show and the only thing I really liked was the lead actor playing Constantine. Is the rest worth watching?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

hiddenriverninja posted:

I saw the first two episodes of this show and the only thing I really liked was the lead actor playing Constantine. Is the rest worth watching?

He carried the entire show. Perfect casting. That and the production detail that went into that old mill they used as a base.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

hiddenriverninja posted:

They tried to go back and retool the whole show a month or two before it aired. That should tell you all you need to know.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Bad Moon posted:

Yea, it's not based on the comic so much, but it's got a decent story idea.

The downside is one of the main characters needs to die in a grease fire but they don't :saddowns:

It's not TERRIFIC, and there's a few moments where you are like "What in the poo poo is this?" but at the same time it's actually got some great moments. Worth a watch anyway.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

hangedman1984 posted:

Couldn't they merge it with Supernatural?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

hiddenriverninja posted:

It got progressively better as it went on, a second season could have helped things.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The main problem with Constantine was that Constantine himself was awesome, but the two others were bland people with no chemistry. A formulaic procedural like that needs more engaging people in the cast that can have fun with each other.

Manny was good, but served only to deliver some exposition for a fee moments an episode (untill the last minute of the show).

That nun girl had far more chemistry with Constantine; they should have made her part of the main cast.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It had good potential, it just didn't really have an overarching plot to tie the season together. There was supposed to be this big evil coming but nothing ever really happened. Main guy was fantastic, I'd say watch it for him alone it won't take that long.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Gaz-L posted:

The initial Manapul run post-New 52 is good. Otherwise your best bets are Geoff Johns and Mark Waid's periods writing the series.

Guy A. Person posted:

It started off solid then went to poo poo. Most of the quintessential modern stories are going to be about Wally West, who in the comics was Barry's teen sidekick who grew up and took over for a long time. Most of Barry's stuff was silver age and it is good but dated; I think you need an appreciation of the character first before digging back into that era.

Mark Waid's run on Wally conveniently starts with a "Year One" storyline that takes you through and updates (well as of 15 years ago) Wally's whole origin so you are not completely lost. Then definitely read The Return of Barry Allen which IMO is the best Flash story Waid ever wrote. Then if you dig Waid's style maybe pick up some of his other trades (or I guess nowadays it's easier to just get everything digital) but really where it picks up and gets incredibly good is Geoff Johns' entire run. Johns brings back the Rogues (Waid had a bit of an aversion to using them) and basically defined them for the modern era, which is largely why they are so good in the show. While I love Waid, he was inconsistent at best, whereas I feel like Johns had a metaplot running throughout his entire run and held things together.

Actually even if you are going to get these digital, my suggestion would be to check out the list of trades at the bottom of this page since it has the best aspects of Waid's run and all of Johns' stuff. Just stop after Rogue War, that is where it gets sketchy.

Thanks for the info! My first wedding anniversary is coming up and it is the Paper Anniversary so I'll be forgoing the digital route, but looks like I can get most of these on Amazon.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone explain to me why CW couldn't bring over Constantine and just merge it with Supernatural?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

It showed a lot of potential later on. Plus Matt Ryan really did nail the character.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Crowsbeak posted:

Can someone explain to me why CW couldn't bring over Constantine and just merge it with Supernatural?

because supernatural is not in the dc universe

Yet

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Crowsbeak posted:

Because that's not nearly as easy to do as you seem to think. If you want to do a proper merge then you need to reconcile two different mythologies that just happen to both use Christianity as a starting point, and who knows what contracts are gonna cause issues where. If you just want to gut the show and swipe Constantine from it then there's a whole different set of licensing problems.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

Because Supernatural sucks rear end.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

David D. Davidson posted:

It got progressively better as it went on, a second season could have helped things.

As someone said, the leads had no chemistry as a group; Matt Ryan had chemistry with everyone including all the background actors, special effects, props, and the villains. The female lead (Zed) was absolutely wrong for the role; sure she was "more dark" than the the original female lead, but her acting range was between brood and sulk. The set design was top notch and it had pretty well done FX. The fact that they also teased the Spectre and Dr. Fate (and Felix Faust was in an epsiode) brewed my nerd loins a bit; and they adhered pretty drat close to the actual comics. Overall, It was a well done show, but suffered from poor focus and bad casting.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

enraged_camel posted:

Because Supernatural sucks rear end.

Not enough rear end sucking for some in that show

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't think Darkseid would be too outlandish for Legends of Tomorrow to do . Maybe not first season, but they could definitely lead into him Jack Kirby style with an Intergang season.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Iris is easily the worst character on TV. Barry and Eddie need to marry each other.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

jabro posted:

Iris is easily the worst character on TV. Barry and Eddie need to marry each other.

I think you mean Lisa Allen-Snart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't know if it was brought up here when the episode happened, but Cisco made her a gun that shot out presumably unlimited gold. Why are they still doing heists?

• Locked thread