Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Ok cool, thanks guys. I'm gonna start looking around at used PA stuff then. I won't have a budget in mind until I get a feel for what's available.

KillHour posted:

Also, you may have to up your budget. This might be a good starting point:

Nice one, I'll have a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Millions posted:

My mom's Pioneer receiver from the 80s just blew its transistor, are there any well regarded 2.0 receivers on the market right now with built-in radios? (no need for Sirius or anything, just local stations)

There are plenty of options. Most of the well-known brands make at least one model stereo receiver:

http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-receivers/C-725BEE-Stereo-Receiver

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/hifi-and-home-cinema/topaz-sr10

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/stereo-receivers/r-s201_black_u/?mode=model

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-8020&class=Receiver&source=prodClass

http://www.harmankardon.com/stereo-amplifiers/HK+3700.html?cgid=stereo-amplifiers&dwvar_HK%203700_color=Black#start=1

There really are tons of options, your mom's best bet is probably try them out in real life. Sometimes the user interfaces suck rear end.

But that's just looking at new receivers. There are tons and tons of good second-hand stereo receivers on Craigslist etc.

Hell, if you know someone with a bit of electronics skill, it's not hard at all to put in a new transistor, fix a few busted caps and what else may be wrong with her current receiver.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm looking for a 2.1 setup for music, budget is $300-$400. Floorstanding, bookshelf, doesn't matter. I searched for a while, but is there a list of commonly suggested speakers/sub/receiver in this price range floating around?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
A question I've been thinking about a little, so to connect my PC to my amp I currently have HDMI from the video card and a TOSlink from the motherboard. I can pass 2.0 PCM down the optical, but not 5.1 like HDMI can.. although the TOSlink can do 5.1 if it's in a compressed format like Dolby Digital.

This means if I'm using a PC monitor for gaming and want to output 5.1 sound to the amp for playing the game.. I can't. I can either put it through the HDMI and have 5.1 and the picture on my TV (on the HDMI out of the amp) or picture on my gaming monitor and output down down the optical which is stuck with crappy 2.0 (unless the game mixes to Dolby Digital but most don't).

Would a sound card have a HDMI port I could pass just sound through? Could a soundcard mix everything to Dolby Digital so I can then pipe it down the optical?

How do I game and have 5.1 sound?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you have onboard hdmi and a video cards hdmi you can probably output sound from one and video from the other. You could also use an HDMI Splitter.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

In Windows, you have to extend the desktop onto the receiver to use the HDMI for audio, even if there is no video device attached to the receiver. I have not been able to find a workaround.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

taqueso posted:

In Windows, you have to extend the desktop onto the receiver to use the HDMI for audio, even if there is no video device attached to the receiver. I have not been able to find a workaround.

You can mirror the desktop to that "monitor" so you don't have a blank desktop you can't access.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

KillHour posted:

You can mirror the desktop to that "monitor" so you don't have a blank desktop you can't access.

Oh yeah, I bet you can. I have a 2nd monitor, so the only choices for the 3rd are extend or disconnected.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

taqueso posted:

Oh yeah, I bet you can. I have a 2nd monitor, so the only choices for the 3rd are extend or disconnected.

You can extend 2 monitors and mirror (one of them) to the third. That's the way I have it set up at home, and it works fine.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

KillHour posted:

You can extend 2 monitors and mirror (one of them) to the third. That's the way I have it set up at home, and it works fine.

How do I make this happen? As far as I can tell, I can mirror one display to both other displays, or extend/disable each one.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

KillHour posted:

I would love to do this for mine, but the receiver maxes out at 1080p and both of my other monitors are 1440p. If you mirror it upscales 1080p to the 1440p monitors, whereas I have not found any way using Windows or the AMD graphics panel to downscale 1440p to the 1080p monitor like I would need for that option to be useful.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

taqueso posted:

How do I make this happen? As far as I can tell, I can mirror one display to both other displays, or extend/disable each one.

I just do it in the Windows display interface. You just select the monitor and use the drop down to choose "Mirror from Display 1/2".

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I would love to do this for mine, but the receiver maxes out at 1080p and both of my other monitors are 1440p. If you mirror it upscales 1080p to the 1440p monitors, whereas I have not found any way using Windows or the AMD graphics panel to downscale 1440p to the 1080p monitor like I would need for that option to be useful.

You can buy external salers to do this, but :retrogames:

http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=dscdphda&s=4

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I'm looking to set up a 3.1 system, primarily for movies and games, occasionally for background music. I've been reading this thread and looking around for a couple of weeks but unfortunately I think I've mostly just managed to confuse myself. I'd like to keep the budget under 1000$ CDN.

I've been eyeing this pioneer set, would it be completely horrible for the price? Speakers, subwoofer, Center.

I have no idea what to do for a receiver. Unfortunately my setup has pretty low clearance height (~10cm) so a lot of the models mentioned in here don't really fit. I've been looking at slim models but on the whole they're a lot more expensive; does anyone have a good recommendation for one? I could make a full sized one work but it would be a bit of a pain.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Don't get the Pioneer sub. Get the Polk psw10 or psw505.

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

misguided rage posted:

I've been eyeing this pioneer set, would it be completely horrible for the price? Speakers, subwoofer, Center.

I'm buying the same floor standing speakers and I'm waiting for them to go down in price on Amazon. Should be some time within the next couple months. http://lightningdrops.com/product/B008NCD2S4

The center should drop in price around the same time. http://lightningdrops.com/product/B008NCD2EI

Edit: Fixed the first link

Romulux fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 29, 2015

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll keep an eye out for a sale on the pioneer sides/center, and the polk sub. I still have no idea what to do for a receiver, all the slim ones I have been able to find are in the 600$ range. It is probably a better/cheaper idea to switch out my furniture instead...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

misguided rage posted:

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll keep an eye out for a sale on the pioneer sides/center, and the polk sub. I still have no idea what to do for a receiver, all the slim ones I have been able to find are in the 600$ range. It is probably a better/cheaper idea to switch out my furniture instead...

I know you're joking, but you might actually be right.

This is the most reasonably priced one I can think of, if it does everything you need it to:

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=avreceivers&ProductId=NR1403
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marnr1403/marantz-nr1403-slimline-5.1-av-receiver/1.html

Then again, for the same price you can get a much more fully-featured full size option:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx1100w/denon-avr-x1100w-7.2-4k-receiver-with-wi-fi-bluetooth-airplay/1.html

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 28, 2015

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
The Marantz 1403 isn't bad, but it is a little basic. The auto channel switching is a bit janky compared to my older Onkyo. The 1403 sounds pretty nice, I think it's more neutral, and the Onkyo sounded brighter somehow. That said, that's only tv, I haven't put it through movie paces yet. This is with the original Andrew Jones Pioneer soaker set.

I bought the Marantz because the audio on the Onkyo failed yet again. Onkyo is fixing it for free, despite being four years old, which is quite nice. One will end up in the bedroom once I have the Onkyo back, and honestly I'll probably keep the Onkyo with whichever set my wife wants to use more, since I think it's a bit more seamless.

I'll probably have to fiddle with the Marantz more, and see if I'm missing something setup wise.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
My wife and I just purchased and moved into our first home, and I figured while we're still arranging stuff and organizing furniture, now is a good time to upgrade our systems before I bother hooking everything up and putting the 600 lb entertainment center in the place it's going to stay for 30 years.

Currently we have a mish-mash of stuff my wife and I had when we moved in together 10 years ago. The receiver DEFINITELY needs to be replaced. It's so old it doesn't even have HDMI input/output on it. The speakers I have no idea whether they are quality or not. The front two speakers are Yamaha NS-A 635A. The center speaker is Sony SS-CN550H (probably came with the receiver, which is also Sony). Our subwoofer is a Yamaha YST-SW215. The back two speakers I have no model number for. The brand is "Polk Audio" and they're about 11" tall.

So obviously I'd like to know a) any recommendations on receiver and b) which, if any, speakers I should replace and what with. We got our security deposit back from our apartment, so I could probably wrangle $1000 together to do this, maybe even as much as $1500. (My wife "doesn't see the point" but she also can't tell the difference between SD and HD TV...)

Some specs:

1) I have 4 HDMI devices currently (Xbox, PS3, WiiU and Chromecast) and a front HDMI port would be nice for when I want to hook my computer up to play steam on the big screen

2) I also have a Gamecube and a PS2 I do some retro gaming on occasionally, so upconversion is a plus

3) What are the opinions on wireless speakers for the back? It would be nice to not have to run cable across the room.

Any advice you all have would be greatly appreciated.

Brocktoon fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 30, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK I just moved into a small-ish condo, about 600sqft, most of it being open and unobstructed. I thought I wanted some kind of whole-home stereo setup but I found that my iPhone at full volume can be heard pretty clearly just about everywhere in the house so I'm thinking that now I just want one central player.

I'm looking for something that I can use to stream music from Spotify, from my iTunes collection, and possibly di.fm.

I'm mulling over getting a single Sonos 3 for the corner of the living room, or two Sonos 1 units on either side.

Is the Sonos a self-contained media player that can do music streaming from various sites, or do I still need an iPad or Mac or iPhone as a "source"? I'd love to get away from that if I could, though I do have a mac mini that is on 24/7 which I could use as a source if necessary. My only prior experience with media players was passing interest in Logitech's squeezebox devices before they lobotomized them recently, which IIRC didn't need a central media source to do things like streaming an online music source.

I have a feeling I'm not articulating this properly so hopefully you guys get what I'm trying to ask. If not I can expand on my requirements.

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");

nine16thsdago posted:

So i got an Onkyo TX-NR535 / monoprice 10565 5.1 speakers / 12ga wire / banana plugs

now, a follow-up. thanks for impedance chat & banana plug advice.

i didn't find the 12ga wire overly difficult to work with, but i also didn't force the speaker wire insulation through the entire length of the banana plug, either. being advised here that 12ga is over kill, i did the "short" connections (front R&L & center) with it and got some home depot 16ga for the longer runs to the surrounds. i also didn't realize that sub connections are made with RCA cables, so i had to dig a set of those out of the tub-o-wires in the tool shed.

this thing sounds great! i don't read manuals so the only thing i did after connecting the surrounds was adjust the 'distance' settings for the 6 speakers in the audio setup. i really enjoyed watching the first scene of "Gladiator" when it was all up and working. HDMI sources for now are a chrome cast, amazon fireTV stick, and comcast cable TV box.

lessons learned: didn't need so many banana plugs, as the monoprice speakers use only spring terminals for connections. as i mentioned, i needed RCA for the sub. this was all a snap and i should have done it a long time ago! thanks, all!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Martytoof posted:

OK I just moved into a small-ish condo, about 600sqft, most of it being open and unobstructed. I thought I wanted some kind of whole-home stereo setup but I found that my iPhone at full volume can be heard pretty clearly just about everywhere in the house so I'm thinking that now I just want one central player.

I'm looking for something that I can use to stream music from Spotify, from my iTunes collection, and possibly di.fm.

I'm mulling over getting a single Sonos 3 for the corner of the living room, or two Sonos 1 units on either side.

Is the Sonos a self-contained media player that can do music streaming from various sites, or do I still need an iPad or Mac or iPhone as a "source"? I'd love to get away from that if I could, though I do have a mac mini that is on 24/7 which I could use as a source if necessary. My only prior experience with media players was passing interest in Logitech's squeezebox devices before they lobotomized them recently, which IIRC didn't need a central media source to do things like streaming an online music source.

I have a feeling I'm not articulating this properly so hopefully you guys get what I'm trying to ask. If not I can expand on my requirements.

Sonos is perfect for that then, I use it 90% of the time for spotify and TuneIn radio (stream whatever you want).

You need a device to control it but not as a source. It has an alarm feature which I use to have my Sonos 1 turn on talk radio in the mornings as I'm getting up and ready for the day. The interface app is probably the best thing about it, it's really solid and I can't imagine any of the competitors have done as much in the UX department as they have as long as they've been around.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Ok, so thanks to some tough love in this thread and then lurking and reading for the past few weeks, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a setup. It'll be set up around my TV and will be exactly equal parts for video games/movies/TV audio, listening to vinyl records, and receiving Airplay audio. Here's what I've ended up with:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081N916M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2P6X1TMSAP61M&coliid=ISQKTAHGHK9EB - combined with a refurbished Apple TV to be an Airplay receiver connecting via HDMI.

Before I pull the trigger, this makes way more sense than spending twice as much for something like this just because it has niftier built-in streaming features and is slightly "better," right? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F0H88AC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2P6X1TMSAP61M&coliid=I24WG3NAQX619Z

Finally...would you recommend a pair of speakers and a sub for this thing? Or even a center also for 3.1? It's a small space, but I'd add a center channel if it made sense.

Transistor Rhythm fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 1, 2015

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

nine16thsdago posted:

now, a follow-up. thanks for impedance chat & banana plug advice.

i didn't find the 12ga wire overly difficult to work with, but i also didn't force the speaker wire insulation through the entire length of the banana plug, either. being advised here that 12ga is over kill, i did the "short" connections (front R&L & center) with it and got some home depot 16ga for the longer runs to the surrounds. i also didn't realize that sub connections are made with RCA cables, so i had to dig a set of those out of the tub-o-wires in the tool shed.
I've always heard you should run the same gauge wire to all your speakers but I don't know if that's just "conventional wisdom" or if there's anything real to it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

qirex posted:

I've always heard you should run the same gauge wire to all your speakers but I don't know if that's just "conventional wisdom" or if there's anything real to it.

I doubt it makes a big difference.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

qirex posted:

Any modern receiver would compensate for the imperceivable signal difference. I'd put that on the same bs list as equal length speaker wire.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

MMD3 posted:

Sonos is perfect for that then, I use it 90% of the time for spotify and TuneIn radio (stream whatever you want).

You need a device to control it but not as a source. It has an alarm feature which I use to have my Sonos 1 turn on talk radio in the mornings as I'm getting up and ready for the day. The interface app is probably the best thing about it, it's really solid and I can't imagine any of the competitors have done as much in the UX department as they have as long as they've been around.

Do you use their iPad app? Because I can't stand it UX-wise.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

The Dave posted:

Do you use their iPad app? Because I can't stand it UX-wise.

Primarily iPhone and desktop, I mean it's not as great as the spotify app but they keep updating it and it feels pretty solid to me.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Don Lapre posted:

Any modern receiver would compensate for the imperceivable signal difference. I'd put that on the same bs list as equal length speaker wire.

Word.

Mindfish
Jul 18, 2003
Professional Victim
My 20 year old Sony sound system is dying on me, so I'm looking for something better now I finally have a full-time job. But I don't actually have much experience picking a sound system setup.

I will be playing music (mostly rock/metal) and movies from my laptop. I will also be running a turntable on the system. I might actually want a better turntable since the current one is kinda cheap. My budget is upwards 20,000 DKK (~3,000 USD).

What would be my best option for a setup? Should I use a dedicated external soundcard for the laptop (I have an Avid Mbox Mini I could use)?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mindfish posted:

My 20 year old Sony sound system is dying on me, so I'm looking for something better now I finally have a full-time job. But I don't actually have much experience picking a sound system setup.

I will be playing music (mostly rock/metal) and movies from my laptop. I will also be running a turntable on the system. I might actually want a better turntable since the current one is kinda cheap. My budget is upwards 20,000 DKK (~3,000 USD).

What would be my best option for a setup? Should I use a dedicated external soundcard for the laptop (I have an Avid Mbox Mini I could use)?

Well, what is the equipment you currently have? And I assume you're only interested in stereo, no surround sound stuff? Do you want large floor-standing speakers or smaller bookshelf-type speakers?

20K DKK will get you quite far, you can put together a very good system even buying new from places like Hifi-Klubben, even though they're definitely not the cheapest option around. If rock/metal is your primary thing, it would be hard to go wrong with a set of moderately large Cerwin-Vega speakers and beefy NAD amplifier.

For instance, if you primarily want to play rock and metal really loving loud, you could do much worse than this combination (but your neighbors will hate you):

https://www.hifiklubben.dk/stereo/forstarkere/nad-c375bee/
https://www.hifiklubben.dk/hojttalere/gulvhojttalere/cerwin-vega-xls-215/ (be warned that they are goddamned enormous)

The amp has two expansion ports so you can add a phono pre-amp module, if you don't want a separate unit:

https://www.hifiklubben.dk/tilbehor/pladespillertilbehor/nad-pp375/

(There is also a USB DAC module and a wifi streaming module, if you're into that kinda thing)

Keep in mind that this is retail pricing (totaling 15097 DKK), and that setup will quite literally blow your windows out, perfect for some AC/DC ;)

If you were putting together a system more along my idea of general use, I would get this combination of a pre-amp and active speakers:

https://www.hifiklubben.dk/stereo/forstarkere/nad-c165bee-/
http://www.thomann.de/dk/adam_a7x.htm (price is per speaker)

That comes in at 12905 DKK, and while it won't blow out your windows like the other system, it will still play very loud indeed and sound better than literally 99% of all other stereos on the market, even at much higher prices.

If you decide to buy used instead, your choices are obviously a little different, but there are some totally sweet deals to be found. My own setup comes in below 15K DKK, and I've been extremely satisfied with it. At the moment, it consists of:

• ODAC+O2 DAC/headphone amp
  • Beyerdynamic DT-880 headphones
  • Technics SL-1500 turntable
  • NAD C165BEE pre-amplifier
  • DBX Driverack PX digital crossover/DSP box
  • Adam A5X active speakers
  • DALI SWA-12 subwoofers

I bought the speakers and the DAC/headphone amp new, but everything else is second-hand stuff I've found on DBA.dk.

E: I don't want to plug the stuff I have for sale, but just for comparison I have a Denon PMA-520 (2x70w) amp and a Thorens TD-105 MkII turntable that I'm looking to sell for around 500-600 DKK each. So even at that sort of price level, there is decent stuff to be found. You can put a very nice system together for less than 5000 DKK including a good turntable, if you're patient.

E2: Are you in the Copenhagen area?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 9, 2015

Mindfish
Jul 18, 2003
Professional Victim
Thank you for a great (and DK-centric) reply!

I currently have my old Sony LBT-N350 I got at my confirmation, but it's dying a slow death now. So time is also a factor... :) and I'm not worried about spending a lot of money on my biggest passion.

I am going for stereo again, yes, but those Cerwin-Vega in the first setup look pretty huge. I'll probably be fine with a set of mid-sized speakers for my living room. But Cerwin-Vega is a good choice if I'm going to Hifi-Klubben? I guess I was a little worried that Hifi-Klubben would try to push "audiophile" snakeoil.

E: Yes, I'm in Cph.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That is a real plastic-fantastic stereo, I used to have a Philips all-in-one kinda like it. The good news is that just about anything you buy (especially speakers) is going to be a significant upgrade :) Also, if that is the turntable you're currently using, get a better one ASAP.

Yeah, Hifi-Klubben will probably try to push audiophile type cables etc. on you, and they will definitely go through the whole spiel about how amplifiers "sound different" and how you have to have "synergy in your system" and all that crap. Other than that they're relatively benign, and they usually listen when you tell them what you want and what you don't want. The only real problem is that they're the exclusive reseller of C-V, NAD, DALI and most of the other brands they carry, so it's hard to do a fair price comparison.

However, I will say that I have been 100% satisfied with the NAD gear I have had. As for C-V, my cousin swears by them, and she's the type of person to meticulously research literally every little detail and who knows exactly what she wants (she's an engineer). She and her husband are mostly into rock, like Kashmir, AC/DC, Powderfinger, that sort of thing.

I know the speakers I linked are huge, I was just making a point about how much you could get at the price level you set. At least year's Copenhell, Hifi-Klubben ran a competition where you could win a stereo consisting of NAD amplification and these speakers:

https://www.hifiklubben.dk/hojttalere/gulvhojttalere/cerwin-vega-sl-12/

I have to say they sounded quite good for the metal they pushed through them at ridiculous volumes in their "bass hell" tent.

Despite what you hear from a lot of people, C-V speakers can play more than just loud-as-gently caress rock/metal. They're just very obviously made by a company that has its roots in live sound applications, so they're kinda "forward" in their sound and with a strong emphasis on bass impact. Anything you want to sound big or bombastic, they'll be perfect for, but they're probably not the best speakers for laid-back smooth jazz and that sort of thing.

You really have to decide whether you want the ease (and added cost) of buying new, or if you want to brave the second-hand market. Like I said, there are some serious bargains to be found.

For turntables in particular, I would probably never buy something new. There are so many awesome deals to be found on the used market, and a lot of the mid-range/high-end turntables from the 70s/80s are basically indestructible, for example most of Technics' direct drive models. My SL-1500 is ~40 years old and still functions exactly like new.

I live in the CPH area as well, if you want some kind of help other than words on the Internet.

E: One other problem with Hifi-Klubben is that they're pretty much the only mainstream-type hifi store left in Denmark. Everyone else has either closed up shop or transitioned to selling either plastic home-theater-in-a-box garbage or high-end audiophile bullshit products. It's not like in the old days where you could just go to the local radio store down on the corner and get good quality gear from the mainstream brands. KT-Radio is the only real alternative I know of, and they're basically Internet-only at this point.

Places like El-Giganten and the like are basically a lost cause, all they sell are plastic all-in-ones and surround receivers.

For turntables in particular, at least Accord here in Copenhagen and places like Recordpusher in Odense have a small selection of used and new turntables. From what I see, they only stock models that are geniunely worth buying, so while you may pay 3-500 DKK more than you perhaps would in a private deal, they stand by what they sell 100%, so you know you'll be getting a turntable that is in good condition.

The good thing about Hifi-Klubben is that they will hook up the gear so you can listen to it, and they encourage you to bring your own music to listen to. I don't know if they'll hook up anything you ask for, but certainly most of the stuff actually displayed in the store.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 9, 2015

Mindfish
Jul 18, 2003
Professional Victim
Thanks again for the great advice.

I will probably get something like:
NAD C375BEE amp
NAD PP375 RIAA/phono
Cerwin-Vega SL-28 or XLS-28 speakers

Maybe I'll get the NAD MDC DAC 2.0 as well. Or I could just run the sound through my Avid Mbox Mini.

As for turntable, I'll probably make due for now and then keep a lookout for a nice used one.

Fake-edit:
You're right about the slim pickings in Hifi stores. You can't really get around Hifi Klubben.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I would go for the XLS-28s, then. They're supposed to have a more balanced sound than the SL series, which makes them better if you ask me.

You'll be extremely pleased with that setup. However, I would say that you would be equally pleased with the NAD C356BEE amp and an external RIAA pre-amp. It costs 3700 DKK less than the C375BEE and I bet you won't notice the difference in power.

As for turntables, you really want to replace that cheapo Sony deck with something better. The Vinyl/Stereo/Vintage thread will definitely be able to help you pick something good:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252

Take a look at what's available on DBA.dk etc., and ask the very knowledgeable people in that thread. They'll guide you to vinyl-playing goodness. Or you can just ask me, but I probably won't recommend anything other than direct-drive Technics turntables :v:

E: Unrelated, but since you said you listen mostly to rock/metal, I just got Satyricon - Live At The Opera, and I think that particular version of Mother North with the choir and everything is probably the most beautifully apocalyptic piece of music I have ever heard. Seriously goosebump-inducing.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 9, 2015

Mindfish
Jul 18, 2003
Professional Victim

KozmoNaut posted:

As for turntables, you really want to replace that cheapo Sony deck with something better. The Vinyl/Stereo/Vintage thread will definitely be able to help you pick something good:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252

Take a look at what's available on DBA.dk etc., and ask the very knowledgeable people in that thread. They'll guide you to vinyl-playing goodness. Or you can just ask me, but I probably won't recommend anything other than direct-drive Technics turntables :v:
Yeah, Technics SL-1200 is the standard recommended turntable. That much I've gathered :) but I don't play my records as much these days. So in the short term it has lower priority than getting acceptable MediaMonkey and VLC performance.

As for genres I used to listen to Satyricon, but I don't listen to as much black and death as I used to. These days it is more stoner/doom and classic rock/metal. We all get soft in our old age :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The SL-1200 (Mk2 especially) is a super nice turntable, but since the vinyl resurgence started and especially since Technics stopped production in 2010, they're generally way overpriced. poo poo condition DJ-abused decks tend to go for 2500+ DKK, and you'll be lucky to find one in decent condition for less than 3500 DKK.

In comparison, I paid 1200 DKK for my SL-1500. It needed a new signal cable and there's an invisible crack in the plastic bottom part, but other than that it is absolutely mint. The only things missing on it compared to a 1200 Mk2 is the quartz lock, electronic platter brake and VTA adjustment, but those are nice-to-have features, not features I consider essential. It even came with a decently new Pickering pickup, but I already had an Ortofon that I prefer to use.

All of the direct drive SL models (mostly SL-xxxx) are very good decks. The 1000, 1100 and 1200 are obviously the most sought-after, and the 1000 in particular commands a high price, since it's the original consumer direct drive turntable. It's actually a studio SP-10 motor unit with an EPA-100 arm, all set on a very nice plinth, seriously well-built kit. In my mind, it is probably the greatest turntable ever made.

But the lesser-known models like the 1300, 1400, 1500, 1600 and so on are still quite nice, depending on whether you want manual, semi-auto or full-auto operation. Some of them even came with automatic record flippers and changers.

The linear trackers (SL-5, SL-7, SL-10 etc.) are also extremely nice turntables, but significantly more complicated and more prone to go wrong. Lastly there are a bunch of others like the SL-D and SL-Q series, which are pretty good too. The SL-Q series uses P-mount cartridges, which are a lot less common today. They're still very nice turntables, though.

And there are some "imposter" SL turntables, like SL-J series that are actually belt drive. I guess they're OK, but if you're buying Technics, you want direct drive.

My point about those el-cheapo plastic turntables that use a spring for tracking force and have lovely ceramic cartridges are that they will ruin any record played on them within only a few plays, due to the excessive wear they cause. Some of them are more like cutting lathes than record players.

For instance, I found a good-looking copy of Boston's first album the other day, but even after a good cleaning it still sounds bad, especially on "More Than A Feeling". My best guess is that someone played it on one of those cheap plastic decks and probably played that track more than the others, completely ruining it. Sibilance and distortion on any kind of loud passages. Side B is mostly OK, so I guess they didn't like those tracks. That's a well-known hazard of buying used records, I just think it sucks that people are actively ruining their classic albums, there are slowly getting fewer and fewer of them worth listening to, and I really want an original copy of that album in good condition.

RE: Satyricon, they're more like black'n'roll these days than actual black metal. For instance, their production and sound quality is way too good to be TRVE KVLT :v:

Right now I'm deep into bands like Graveyard as well, properly nice old-school rock/early metal, and they were amazing last year at Copenhell.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 10, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
When I think of Cerwin Vega, I think of back in the mid 90's when we were just getting cars in highschool and everyone wanted crazy bass systems. Most of us went with Phoenix Gold gear, but one of the rival highschool guys had a VW golf with a Cerwin Vega stroker.

According to everyone around, the stroker was the most badass sub.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

jonathan posted:

When I think of Cerwin Vega, I think of back in the mid 90's when we were just getting cars in highschool and everyone wanted crazy bass systems. Most of us went with Phoenix Gold gear, but one of the rival highschool guys had a VW golf with a Cerwin Vega stroker.

According to everyone around, the stroker was the most badass sub.

No bazooka tubes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I was expecting my Onkyo repair to take a while, so I bought a second receiver, knowing that I'd eventually move one of the two into the bedroom for a better system in there. Despite being out of warranty, Onkyo mailed me a box, I mailed it in, they fixed it, and mailed it back all within about 10 days. While I'm annoyed the audio failed twice, I absolutely cannot fault their customer service.

That said, I now have a spare receiver and no speakers! I'm not in a huge rush, but what places should I be checking regularly for sales on speakers?

I have a camelcamelcamel thing setup for the Infinity Primus on Amazon, since those seem to go on a massive sale every other month or so. I have the Andrew Jones Pioneers in the main room, and I'm not opposed to swapping things around. Mostly looking for towers and a center right now, probably around $100-150 per unit.