Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Fina posted:

Game needs more female characters and more skin variations for everyone.

And Road Crew Worker, obviously.
:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Takes No Damage posted:

Hey Alteisen you were confused as to what killed you that last game. Maybe you should avoid standing on grenade clusters like a big doof.

God I can never get over that loving clot-gondola running throughout that map. Every time I'm in the process of booking it to the trader the sight of pale monster rear end being scooted around the ceiling will catch my eye and I can't help but laugh every time.

And then of course there's the giant blood-blender, the fetus aquarium, the blood pipes, the birthday party...Biotics is just chock full of zany over-the-top imagery.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Yea I didn't hear his audio cue and his nades have poor visibility once he's thrown them.

Least my death was spectacular.

Man you blew up good.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ChickenHeart posted:

God I can never get over that loving clot-gondola running throughout that map. Every time I'm in the process of booking it to the trader the sight of pale monster rear end being scooted around the ceiling will catch my eye and I can't help but laugh every time.

And then of course there's the giant blood-blender, the fetus aquarium, the blood pipes, the birthday party...Biotics is just chock full of zany over-the-top imagery.

Outpost plays fine, but god is it boring to look at after playing Bioticslab for a while. It's like someone removed all of the cool stuff in Bioticslab and replaced it with a generic outdoors snowy base area.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

closeted republican posted:

Outpost plays fine, but god is it boring to look at after playing Bioticslab for a while. It's like someone removed all of the cool stuff in Bioticslab and replaced it with a generic outdoors snowy base area.

And the best spots to fight are all outside that I've seen, so the only spots indoors I've even really seen are the ones with trader pods. Mind you, it's amusing to see how far up the walls you can splash blood.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I used to play a Medic all the time, then I decided to play Support for a bit and god, does it feel great to do damage with every weapon.

It is beautiful.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
This game is cool, but the leveling mechanic seems pointless beyond suckering grinding hours out of players.

If X class is supposed to fulfill Y role, then just give that class all its perk selections and class weapon bonuses from the start so players can experience that role as intended and the game can be based entirely on the precision, awareness, money management and teamwork that happens within the game itself. It's not like this is an ARPG or something where the entire point is to raise stats and get loot and min-max builds and the game is principally designed around making those things fun. In a game like this, it's just tacked-on and annoying.

I got into KF1 really late in its life, and by that time all the grind mechanic did was make it so I'd either have to drag my friends down to a difficulty that was cake for their maxed-out characters, or they'd have to carry me on their preferred difficulty because my character simply didn't have the DPS/survivability/perks to match their productivity, all else being equal. How does that improve the game? Mass Effect 3 co-op had the same problem. It was great fun, but that was despite the horrible weapon upgrade grind. By the time I finally got the game at my brother's urging, he'd unlocked loads of weapon upgrades that made anything short of the highest difficulty way too easy for him, but my character couldn't do much on those high difficulties, so one of us was forced to be bored unless I first spent dozens (or hundreds) of hours grinding out Spectre weapons and enough upgrades to make them useful.

On the flipside, one of the best things about Left 4 Dead is that I could get a friend into it tomorrow and they'd be playing the same game I'm playing, not having to grind the metagame for hours to unlock the "real" game. They could hop into higher difficulties as soon as they felt ready based on their skill and familiarity with the game, and wouldn't be arbitrarily hampered by having unlocked only 5% bonus shotgun damage against Boomers.

How does class grinding make Killing Floor a better experience for the players?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Shine posted:

I agree with you 100%

But I have met people who enjoy grinds (those poor broken souls), their reasoning boiling down to that it makes them feel like they accomplished something.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Numlock posted:

I agree with you 100%

But I have met people who enjoy grinds (those poor broken souls), their reasoning boiling down to that it makes them feel like they accomplished something.

It really depends on the kind of grind. Killing Floor is the "bad" kind of grind, where as you level up you get straight upgrades that are required at upper levels. Compare that to something like Team Fortress 2 where you "grind" for new weapons, but they more serve to expand your utility and act as side-grades because the default stuff is just as good.

I guess CoD and BF are kind of a "soft" in-between where you do actually unlock stuff that are required to play well, but they are mostly gadgets that unlock quickly that make the difference rather than the six thousand nearly identical guns.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Shine posted:

Yeah, I perfectly agree as well, but there is a large amount of people who get really invested in watching numbers grow. It is a proven way of holding an user base, as prestige systems in several shooters and MMOs in general have shown, so I am quite confident it will never go away. At least it is a better system than the one in KF1 or Red Orchestra 2, as you can level up rather quickly in comparison to Tripwire's previous games.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, I perfectly agree as well, but there is a large amount of people who get really invested in watching numbers grow. It is a proven way of holding an user base, as prestige systems in several shooters and MMOs in general have shown, so I am quite confident it will never go away.

Yeah, grinds are popping up everywhere, including games where they make absolutely no sense, like IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad, a very realistic $60 WW2 flight simulator where you have to grind the same 5 singleplayer missions dozens of times to unlock paint jobs and basic stuff for your planes, like more bombs for your bomber. Or you can buy the Premium Edition for an additional $40 which skips the grind :psyduck:. War Thunder has that too, but at least they have the "it's free-to-play" excuse.

Anyway, I hope games like KF look at other ways to entertain the grind-lovers without fundamentally changing (and in some cases ruining) the game for others. Do stuff like let people earn badges or hats or special name coloring or whatever for clearing levels or killing bosses X number of times. The Marvel Heroes thread has shown me that there are crazy people who would gladly chase something like "defeat Hans 10,000 times on HoE" if you made it a top achievement.

Shine fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 9, 2015

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

Shine posted:

It adds a sense of achievement and pride having earned the ability to play on extreme difficulty settings. It gives prestige to being a high level.
But there is a limit. And Killing Floor goes way WAYYYY overboard with how long it takes to grind.

The fast level map isn't cheating. Its a goddamn formality!

(yes I know you can edit player save files instead. But I wouldn't recommend it)

Slybo fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 9, 2015

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I wouldn't mind if they dropped the xp system tomorrow, but they'd need to put some kind of specialization into its place.

Other than that (same as in KF1) there is mostly the illusion of progress as you basically just climb a damage ramp that gives you enough DPS to survive the harder difficulties. A normal game on LVL0 basically plays like a Suicidal on LVL 15-20, with some classes having one or more additional tasks. The changing enemy behavior is a welcome, actually significant addition that adds some distinction.

I'd like if there was a system to model the kind of dynamic challenges you get by attempting certain difficulties at certain levels but it didn't fracture the player-base into getting a "appropriate" play experience with their favorite class in one difficulty level.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Shine posted:

This game is cool, but the leveling mechanic seems pointless beyond suckering grinding hours out of players.

:words:

On the flipside, one of the best things about Left 4 Dead is that I could get a friend into it tomorrow and they'd be playing the same game I'm playing [..] How does class grinding make Killing Floor a better experience for the players?

I agree with everything you've said, but I've sunk 10x more hours into KF1/2 than LFD1/2 so I'm not sure. I guess I'm easily manipulated by grinding games.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Libertine posted:

I agree with everything you've said, but I've sunk 10x more hours into KF1/2 than LFD1/2 so I'm not sure. I guess I'm easily manipulated by grinding games.

I mean, that is why they do it. We humans are very easily manipulated by that PING LEVEL UP that so many games have

Why do you think MMOs are such A Thing?

E. Tripwire Devs reading this thread, I know that you can't give us an idea of when a wipe might come, but could you say the pattern for it? Would it be after a gamebreaking bug or the like; or are you planning on doing it after every major content push?

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 9, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Slybo posted:

(yes I know you can edit player save files instead)
Can someone please tell me where to point my hex editor? Everything I found online involves Cheat Engine which is a big risk to someone's Steam account.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I hope when do they do wipe stats we get like 3x exp or something for like a week.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Mechanically, what's the difference between the HE and Frag grenades? Shouldn't the HE be more damaging (especially indoors) while the frag has a much larger kill radius?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Shumagorath posted:

Everything I found online involves Cheat Engine which is a big risk to someone's Steam account.
Can you source any bans for games without VAC? I've used CE (or other trainers based on it) for various singleplayer games and never had an issue.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Dezztroy posted:

Mechanically, what's the difference between the HE and Frag grenades? Shouldn't the HE be more damaging (especially indoors) while the frag has a much larger kill radius?
HE grenades do 300 damage that drops off up to "800" range (presumably 8 meters). Frags do 225 damage in the same range but also shoot out 10 pieces of shrapnel that do 50 damage each.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Alteisen posted:

I hope when do they do wipe stats we get like 3x exp or something for like a week.

To that point: will double XP weekends a la COD etc ever be a thing?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Libertine posted:

The psychological effect of seeing numbers go up is powerful, and there's something gratifying about being able to choose a particular skillset/class/whatever to specialize in and as a result being better at that thing than another player who chose to specialize in something different. I honestly like the way KF handles things a lot more than Left 4 Dead, even with the grind, because in Left 4 Dead the only thing that distinguishes one character from another is "well I decided to pick up the shotgun instead of the rifle" or whatever and even just adding the extra layer of "well I like pistols so I'll play the pistol class" gives you that extra little bit of ownership.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know why I'm getting this error when trying to connect to the Goon servers?

It's been that way since the patch a few weeks ago.

edit: It's JUST the goon servers, or alternatively, JUST when I do an "open x.x.x.x" in console.

Hed fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 9, 2015

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
Another technical problem: after a random blue-screen memory error I now get a crash on startup (with the bug report window) all the time. Tried re-installing the game, re-installing my video card drivers, rebooting, etc. with no luck. I saw mention of a 64 vs 32 bit dll issue in a Steam thread but so far I'm still locked out. :( Anyone experience this, or something similar?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

JohnnySavs posted:

Another technical problem: after a random blue-screen memory error I now get a crash on startup (with the bug report window) all the time. Tried re-installing the game, re-installing my video card drivers, rebooting, etc. with no luck. I saw mention of a 64 vs 32 bit dll issue in a Steam thread but so far I'm still locked out. :( Anyone experience this, or something similar?

I had a friend with this issue and running the '-dx10' flag fixed it. Or maybe it was -dx11. Try adding one of those to the launcher and see if it works.

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
There's something to be said when all I can do on the public servers is watch everyone actively run away from me when I'm a medic trying to heal them.

Even more so when I tell them not to shoot Hans when he's grabbing someone and then I have 3 voices telling me to gently caress off.

So who do I gotta ask for that Goon server password? Gettin real tired of playing with pubbies.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Slybo posted:

It adds a sense of achievement and pride having earned the ability to play on extreme difficulty settings. It gives prestige to being a high level.
But there is a limit. And Killing Floor goes way WAYYYY overboard with how long it takes to grind.

The fast level map isn't cheating. Its a goddamn formality!

(yes I know you can edit player save files instead. But I wouldn't recommend it)

I remember levelling perks in KF1, I was using that fleshpound only setting, it was tricky becasue you had to kill most of the first wave using only your knife. But once you did that you could lay entire fields of explosvies on the ground. Then bunch up the fleshpounds following you and run over the fields.

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007

Shine posted:

Because it was always painfully obvious in KF1 when some clown with cheated perks joined a Hard/S/HoE game and had no idea what the hell they were doing. The grind IS excessive, but it does serve a purpose, it makes drat sure you're ready for the higher levels by requiring you to play the lower levels (too much). It makes it better for the people that put time into learning how to play.

Not disagreeing with the rest of your post though. Obviously this all falls apart when you just wanna play with some friends. They just need to find a balance. Maybe a feature that gives you temporary levels when playing with higher level friends? I know a few KF1 servers with custom perks did that, made you a "level 6" level 0 class and you gained exp normally.

The grind is worse in KF2 so far though, I really hate the perk system being level based. Give all the perks right from the start, and make levels improve the perks. This has the benefit of more character customization straight out of the box instead of having to grind for gameplay features.

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013
If TWI really wants to flash numbers in the bottom left-hand corner of my screen, they should implement a kill-combo system instead of this silly experience metagame. Combo-based powerups would jive really well with the game's charmingly stupid, over-the-top aesthetic, and could reward players for skilled play in a way that the experience point system can't. Granting powerups from kill combos could potentially solve existing gameplay flaws, like the current incentive for players to kite scrakes around the map until all of the trash is done spawning. You're much more likely to take on that scrake if you have a limited time window of increased headshot damage or weapon stability. Adding a combo system also creates more possibilities for perks, and, depending on implementation, it could theoretically replace the experience system altogether, maybe by tying certain class bonuses to "high scores".

I dunno, it's just the start of an idea right now, but there's probably some fun to be had there.

Colosmicon fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 10, 2015

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I come bearing giftsgifs. Messing around with ShadowPlay is way too much fun in this game.

This Gorefast got his face erased, then I scared myself with my own grenade
http://gfycat.com/EntirePoisedIcefish

Husk suicide fail
http://gfycat.com/FickleMadeupBoa

A Stalker dodges multiple shells just so she can eat a SSG to the face
http://gfycat.com/UnlawfulShyGrunion

Bashing a Husk apart
http://gfycat.com/WeeSizzlingBellsnake

Erasing a Bloats head with a hammer
http://gfycat.com/IllfatedSlowHen

I'm flagging this Scrake for excessive celebration
http://gfycat.com/PaltryIncredibleEasternnewt

You too Gorefast, 15 yards!
http://gfycat.com/PoliticalFaroffGossamerwingedbutterfly

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I would much prefer if leveling up instead unlocked alternate skills, new weapons, and cosmetic features for your perk. I really don't like hopping into the more difficult servers and having to limit what classes me and my friends can play as based on how much grinding we've done on a perk.

edit: I love the ragdolls in this game:

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 9, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I don't get why they gave you no benefits for most classes when they were level 0. It's only around level 4-5 that you finally start seeing the boosts each class provides having a noticeable effect. The only exception is Support, but that's because shotguns are naturally really good, not because of any bonuses.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I think game notifications need some work, half the time I don't even notice when I'm the last player left alive, and several times I've completely missed it when I level up. TW bring back the sweet guitar riff from KF1 please :rock:

Also in general the thin white text often doesn't read well against the game, often in Outpost it's pretty invisible. Think they should thicken it up and add a black stroke or something.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Colosmicon posted:

If TWI really wants to flash numbers in the bottom left-hand corner of my screen, they should implement a kill-combo system instead. Combo-based powerups would jive really well with the game's charming, meathead aesthetic, and could reward players for skilled play in a way that the experience point system can't. Granting powerups from kill combos could potentially solve existing gameplay flaws, like the current incentive for players to kite scrakes around the map until all of the trash is done spawning. You're much more likely to take on that scrake if you have a limited time window of increased headshot damage or weapon stability. Adding a combo system also creates more possibilities for perks, and, depending on implementation, it could theoretically replace the experience system altogether, maybe by tying certain class bonuses to "high scores".

I dunno, it's just the start of an idea right now, but there's probably some fun to be had there.

Kill your dick.

Now I want a Bulletstorm 2 with KF2's gore system and I know I ain't getting it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Since we're all wishlisting this weekend, I'm really not looking forward to lv15 Commando since I like both those perks. I spend most of my time in single shot mode for popping heads, so +20% damage sounds awesome. But tac reload is something I need to see, especially with all the work they put into the weapons. I'd like reload speed to be an increasing perk for Commando in general, say 1% per level, and at 15% it just switches from speeding up the stock animations to the new tactical ones. Bend to my will TripWire.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Takes No Damage posted:

Since we're all wishlisting this weekend, I'm really not looking forward to lv15 Commando since I like both those perks. I spend most of my time in single shot mode for popping heads, so +20% damage sounds awesome. But tac reload is something I need to see, especially with all the work they put into the weapons. I'd like reload speed to be an increasing perk for Commando in general, say 1% per level, and at 15% it just switches from speeding up the stock animations to the new tactical ones. Bend to my will TripWire.
It probably would make more sense for the +20% single-shot damage to be opposite the +20% full-auto damage, but personally I'm probably going to end up taking tac-reload + full-auto damage. Way I see it anything that benefits from the extra damage I'm probably going to firing auto anyway, and I like to carry the AK-12 alongside my SCAR, and that thing doesn't have a single-shot mode.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

yeah auto-fire is fine for both clearing trash and taking on bigger guys and tactical reload feels as necessary as large mags

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

Since we're all wishlisting this weekend

Wishlisting? I'm exploring viable alternatives to existing game mechanics :colbert:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Takes No Damage posted:

I come bearing giftsgifs. Messing around with ShadowPlay is way too much fun in this game.

I might be inept at using ShadowPlay, but how do you even get it to work? Just have nVidia Experience constantly running? Also, how do I know the manual capture works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

I think game notifications need some work, half the time I don't even notice when I'm the last player left alive, and several times I've completely missed it when I level up. TW bring back the sweet guitar riff from KF1 please :rock:

Also in general the thin white text often doesn't read well against the game, often in Outpost it's pretty invisible. Think they should thicken it up and add a black stroke or something.

Last night in a Normal Outpost game, Hans wiped out most of the team with gas grenades and I had no idea anyone died until I noticed that there wasn't as much firing sounds as their was a few seconds ago. It was only after Hans was killed that I checked the scoreboard and saw that 4 out of 6 members of the team were dead.