Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saiko Kila
Aug 8, 2009

These were supposed to be peaceful negotiations! We brought only nukes!

HUMANZ. SO GULLIBLE.
I've got a technical question. What is the oldest nVidia driver which would work good with this game? I have GTX 560 Ti with drivers 285.62. Yes, they are like 4 years old, but it doesn't make any noticeable problems for me with newer games. Except this one.

I just installed the game (I've played only CK I up to this point), and have issue with characters portraits. When a character wears a shawl, it covers like half of her face. Similarly with crowns, they are off by about half head. But the problems with shawls is more pressing - how can I marry a woman without seeing her face first? I'm a Christian ruler, not Muslim. Also, such women look all like assassins, which makes me edgy. I suppose this can be solved with newer drivers, bus since I like old drivers (for a reason), I don't want to install the newest one. This is why I'm asking about the oldest which work well. Oh, and maybe someone had such a problem and solved it, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I thought it would be fun to put family members in charge of everything that I possibly could and only just now figured out what the downside to this is.

I wish they'd use this combined might to take on someone like the Abbassids, but they seem content dropping atomic bombs on Tengri anthills up north.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

jfood posted:

You people really don't understand fun. If you want a hundred and fifty tech-points in a month, you need an ambitious spymaster. If you want to fabricate a ducal level claim in the space of a few weeks, you need an ambitious chancellor. If you're not rocking a poo poo leader with garbage stats and a massive short-reign penalty, ambitious counsellors are the way to go. A small gift and a bullshit honourary title are usually more than sufficient to keep them from stabbing you up. Most of the time.

This is what fun looks like, if anyone was curious.

Does ambitious actually reduce the MTTH for the advisor events like fabricating a claim, or are you just saying this based on them having better stats?

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
What is the consensus of making Theocracy vassals? They seem pretty good, whenever there is a big time rebellion in an AI realm they always seem to stick with their de jure liege. Also, if I had Free Investiture can I even appoint count and duke tier bishops? Will Norse theocracies still send out raiders?

Bold Robot posted:

Does ambitious actually reduce the MTTH for the advisor events like fabricating a claim, or are you just saying this based on them having better stats?

The code seems to indicate that it does. I know Content advisors definitely take forever to actually accomplish anything.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Bold Robot posted:

In vanilla it's mostly stats (some traits influence the MTTH for some advisor events but ambitious is not one of them.)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Dallan Invictus posted:

In vanilla it's mostly stats (some traits influence the MTTH for some advisor events but ambitious is not one of them.)

What traits do? I can't seem to find any reliable information on this on the wiki or anywhere else.

It would make sense for Diligent/Slothful to influence job performance. Ambitious maybe not so much, since any veteran of the modern workforce can testify that an ambitious person is more likely to be spending their time plotting their rise and others' fall than doing their ostensible job.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
How do the vanilla religions map to the new stuff in After the End? Is there an Islam analogue? I haven't played a Muslim in forever, and I want to see how that'd play out with the decadence dueling thing

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Eric the Mauve posted:

What traits do? I can't seem to find any reliable information on this on the wiki or anywhere else.

It would make sense for Diligent/Slothful to influence job performance. Ambitious maybe not so much, since any veteran of the modern workforce can testify that an ambitious person is more likely to be spending their time plotting their rise and others' fall than doing their ostensible job.

Doing a more comprehensive search through those files (because it's Saturday and I'm a colossal nerd) reveals I was actually wrong, there is precisely one instance in which traits influence an MTTH for councillor actions in vanilla - a Muslim Lord Spiritual has less of a chance to pocket charity money if they're Charitable or Just or a couple of other similar traits.

Otherwise it's all stats (also religious authority for conversions and the Scholarship focus for the tech boost actions, but that wasn't the topic here).

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Finished up the history files for Iberia! :woop:

Now I'll move onto the Franks probably then head down to Italy before I get the Byzantines. Once I got all of Christianity dealt with then it's on to the meat and potatoes of this mod.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

It's really cool when I have 99% war score and the the war ends because my CB is no longer valid.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

It's really cool when I have 99% war score and the the war ends because my CB is no longer valid.

It's especially rad if you still have the CB, it's just against the other person that now holds the title, so you have to redeclare the war, face no resistance because you already beat most of their armies down, and just spend most of the time sieging poo poo down when you could be doing other, more interesting things with your armies.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

TheMcD posted:

It's especially rad if you still have the CB, it's just against the other person that now holds the title, so you have to redeclare the war, face no resistance because you already beat most of their armies down, and just spend most of the time sieging poo poo down when you could be doing other, more interesting things with your armies.

Also disband your levies since you can't declare war with levies raised for reasons

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Islam isn't doing very well.

The Umayaads still hold most of Hispannia but I'm eating away at it every chance I get. The Abbasids still have the south eastern parts of the Arabian peninsula but have lost everything else aside from a few counties surrounded by my blob. Their moral authority is about 12. Shia exists but all their revolts have failed and no provinces have it as their dominant religion. Literally the only people who are Shia are the Hashashin. The Persians are Zikri or some poo poo. Mali was united under a Sunni dynasty for a long rear end time but then it collapsed into a bunch of smaller states all of which are fully pagan.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The starting Khagan for the Ilkhanate got offed by hashashin in my current game, which is kinda cool. I didn't even know they could kill actual title holders, usually it's just a bunch of random courtiers.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Puke.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Bold Robot posted:

Zealous, diligent and ambitious decrease mtth on several counsellor actions like conversion, settlement, claim fabrication etc. Content, slothful and cynical raise the mtth. Somewhere in the previous 999 pages of this glorious thread, someone explained it all in great detail. I think they effect a stat that's hidden in-game, called zeal, which has an influence on the mtth for all actions they undertake... or that's the stat that governs how likely they are to declare wars, I really don't remember.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

jfood posted:

Zealous, diligent and ambitious decrease mtth on several counsellor actions like conversion, settlement, claim fabrication etc. Content, slothful and cynical raise the mtth. Somewhere in the previous 999 pages of this glorious thread, someone explained it all in great detail. I think they effect a stat that's hidden in-game, called zeal, which has an influence on the mtth for all actions they undertake... or that's the stat that governs how likely they are to declare wars, I really don't remember.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Doing a more comprehensive search through those files (because it's Saturday and I'm a colossal nerd) reveals I was actually wrong, there is precisely one instance in which traits influence an MTTH for councillor actions in vanilla - a Muslim Lord Spiritual has less of a chance to pocket charity money if they're Charitable or Just or a couple of other similar traits.

Otherwise it's all stats (also religious authority for conversions and the Scholarship focus for the tech boost actions, but that wasn't the topic here).

dude

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The mongols should come and tidy up the borders sooner or later.

The west is almost as pretty:

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 10, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I have the theology focus and am very much Christian. I could hold a tournament and go on pilgramages with every character until suddenly I couldn't any more.

Heiðingjar fá að sigla á ám og fórna fólki í blótum, sem jafnar þetta svoldið út. Að minnsta kosti ásatrúar náungarnir, hinir fá ekki neitt því þeir eru ekki nægilega merkilegir eða eitthvað.
Það er virkilega vandræðalegt hvernig trúrnar í Afríku, hvort sem það eru kristnu gaurarnir í Eþíópíu eða heiðingjarnir fá bara nákvæmlega ekkert upprunalegt eða merkilegt.

Held að það eina sem þeir fá er ein skitin Holy Order? Og heiðingjarnir hafa bara örfáa málaliða líka. Væri hægt að draga mjög vafasama niðurstöðu frá þessu öllu ef maður vildi...
Annars þá held ég að þetta sé bara vegna þess að þeir hafa mestan áhuga á okkar trú og bara nenna ekki í það að gefa hinum nokkurn hlut. Ég er hissa að Romuva sé einu sinni til.

Honestly, needing 100% war score for anything short of white peace is loving idiotic. The AI should obviously resist stuff, but having to wait on those last percentages almost every time is horribly annoying. Obviously certain things like, losing your last counties, holy wars and other stuff should be until the bitter end but way too many times it's just tedious as heck to get there.

Oh yeah, and anyone have a link for the Game of Thrones mod? Or have they finally figured how to get it on the workshop?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Honestly, needing 100% war score for anything short of white peace is loving idiotic. The AI should obviously resist stuff, but having to wait on those last percentages almost every time is horribly annoying. Obviously certain things like, losing your last counties, holy wars and other stuff should be until the bitter end but way too many times it's just tedious as heck to get there.

I'd kill for an option at like 80% plus to end the war and get the county/whatever and an additional option at 100% that's like "we are totally loving beaten" and you make the enemy give you like a fifth of its gold to make you go away.

It'd make me feel more like I could press a war and get some plunder without having so many soldiers that it is barely a real war anyway.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

It's really weird because I've had dudes offer a surrender at like 86% which makes it even more bullshit that I'm at 99% and then my war ends inconclusively and I have to get all my levies back to my own territory, disband them, declare war again, raise levies again, load them all onto ships (when you're going for SPQR this takes some time), send them back to the war zone, and fight the whole war again.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

It's really weird because I've had dudes offer a surrender at like 86% which makes it even more bullshit that I'm at 99% and then my war ends inconclusively and I have to get all my levies back to my own territory, disband them, declare war again, raise levies again, load them all onto ships (when you're going for SPQR this takes some time), send them back to the war zone, and fight the whole war again.

I don't know for a fact but my impression is usually in those "early surrender" cases either some kind of massive revolt/invasion is going on over on their end or your own forces have a poo poo-ton of allies and so the computer is taking that into account.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
All of you "don't ever have king vassals" babies aught to get a kick out of this. I might have broken my Roman republic game. With Avar culture, I had the invasion CB, so after I defeated the Byzantines in the Holy War for Sicily and formed Italia, I decided to put it to use making myself some friends. I already controlled Scotland and Ireland, and the Umayyad had collapsed leaving Spain ripe for the taking, so I figured I would form Britannia and Hispania, then hand them off to family members to have some big emperor allies.

Unfortunately, the plan went to poo poo quickly (and in hindsight, predictably). After giving like 96% of de jure Hispania to a cousin or something, the son of a bitch changed succession law to seniority, as did the guy I was grooming to be the emperor of Britannia. The two merged a few years later. If I hadn't already hosed up Britannia, I'd be looking at a vassal who could form two empires as soon as he became independent. Instead, he could just form one and a half. :v: He'd have the 2nd strongest military in the world if he was independent, and he raises a 32k levy for me.

It's loving stupid. I still haven't gotten the 20,000 gold merchant prince achievement yet, so I think I'm gonna sit back and try to get that, and just see what happens. Hopefully I can inherit all his poo poo, or have him inherit all my poo poo, and end this madness by getting those titles out of my family. I think I can hold him off, but we'll see what happens.

This is probably my favorite save yet.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Alright, PlagueMod is about to go on Steam for Realsies. I just have to make some final bug testing before you can all play with it.

But before I do so, I'd like to share something with you.

You see that character modifier? Daredevil scientist? This means that Pope Felix decided that the best way to combat the plague was to test the plague on himself so that he could study it better. This meant deliberately infecting himself with the plague. Which he did. And survived.

Pope Felix.

Pope Badass.

(The black eye is something from the Better Garbs mod.)

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Is there an easy way to grant independence to a dejure part of your rule? In reforming the Germanic faith I had to conquer Sweden, which I have no desire to actually mess with since I'm trying to do a Norse Irish game. My highest two titles are the Kingdoms of Ireland and Sweden, but I have no way to give away the Kingdom of Sweden title to any of my vassals there or make them otherwise independent. Now that I've got the religion reformed I don't really care what happens in Scandinavia. Like, am I going to have to piss off those vassals enough that they revolt and then give in to their demands?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ArchRanger posted:

Is there an easy way to grant independence to a dejure part of your rule? In reforming the Germanic faith I had to conquer Sweden, which I have no desire to actually mess with since I'm trying to do a Norse Irish game. My highest two titles are the Kingdoms of Ireland and Sweden, but I have no way to give away the Kingdom of Sweden title to any of my vassals there or make them otherwise independent. Now that I've got the religion reformed I don't really care what happens in Scandinavia. Like, am I going to have to piss off those vassals enough that they revolt and then give in to their demands?

If you haven't already switched out of Gavelkind this problem will probably solve itself. Alternatively you can destroy the Swedish title which should render all the vassals under it non de jure.

Not sure why you can't just give it away, though, I found myself in pretty much this exact situation where I held the empires of Scandinavia and Carpathia and could not have given less of a gently caress about Carpathia or all the angry slavic pagans within it so I just handed it off to one of my less useless younger sons.

Do you actually hold any Swedish counties or duchies? If yes try giving them away and see if that lets you hot potato the whole kingdom off to one of your idiot cousins or something.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ArchRanger posted:

Is Sweden your primary title?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

This character name is the most CK2 thing ever.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Anyone knows how can I open the console in linux with a non-US keyboard?

In windows I would use alt+21, but it doenst not works in linux nor any key I tried.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Elias_Maluco posted:

Anyone knows how can I open the console in linux with a non-US keyboard?

In windows I would use alt+21, but it doenst not works in linux nor any key I tried.

I press the ` key on my UK keyboard (next to 1).
You may need to be more specific than non-US.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Edison was a dick posted:

I press the ` key on my UK keyboard (next to 1).
You may need to be more specific than non-US.

Its a brazilian ABNT keyboard.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its a brazilian ABNT keyboard.

Try " .

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Catholicism hasn't fared so well in my game, being reduced to a heresy of Waldensianism, which is now competing with Catharism for dominance of Europe. When I mend the Great Schism, will Waldensianism become an Orthodox (Iconoclast, in my case) heresy, or will it still apply only to Catholics?

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

cock hero flux posted:

If you haven't already switched out of Gavelkind this problem will probably solve itself. Alternatively you can destroy the Swedish title which should render all the vassals under it non de jure.

Not sure why you can't just give it away, though, I found myself in pretty much this exact situation where I held the empires of Scandinavia and Carpathia and could not have given less of a gently caress about Carpathia or all the angry slavic pagans within it so I just handed it off to one of my less useless younger sons.

Do you actually hold any Swedish counties or duchies? If yes try giving them away and see if that lets you hot potato the whole kingdom off to one of your idiot cousins or something.

It's looking as though I'm going to have to destroy the title and then give independence to each of the Jarls there separately. I don't own anything Swedish with the exception of the kingdom title itself. I was sorta hoping to toss it off to one of my sons but it's almost all owned by one Jarl and I didn't want to give it to a son only to have that guy revolt within a year, though if I could I'd just give it to that Jarl just to be rid of it.

monster on a stick posted:

Is Sweden your primary title?

It is not.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

FreudianSlippers posted:

The mongols should come and tidy up the borders sooner or later.

The west is almost as pretty:

Glorious Norse Ireland.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Are there any Messalian starts at any bookmark? The List of Interesting Characters doesn't seem to have any.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Jedit posted:

Are there any Messalian starts at any bookmark? The List of Interesting Characters doesn't seem to have any.

afaik the only catholic heresy with baseline rulers is Nestorianism

e: wait, shouldn't that be an orthodox heresy? :confused:

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Found a promising mod for expanding heresies, something I was looking into doing myself (before I got a second job. :sigh: ).
Haven't had much opportunity to play as a heresy, but I can confirm they do get more love and it seems like a big improvement to making heresies feel different from each other.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-heretic-pride.852226/
Also available on steam workshop as Heretic Pride.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Jedit posted:

The Patriarch of the East will always exist, I think you don't need to start as a landed Nestorian, you can just start close enough that you are within diplomatic range and ask him to educate your heir.

After that you should be able to sit your court priest on your capital with the study tech option until you get the "become a heretic" event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Excelzior posted:

afaik the only catholic heresy with baseline rulers is Nestorianism

e: wait, shouldn't that be an orthodox heresy? :confused:

There are 4 mainline Christian religions: Catholic, Orthodox, Miaphysite, Nestorian. Those are the "standard" faiths, each with their own heresies. Monophysite for Miaphysite for example, or Messalianism for Nestorianism.

• Locked thread