Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
No. It's not on an SSD. I don't have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

dscruffy1 posted:

No. It's not on an SSD. I don't have one.

Ah. Biggest upgrade you can make to your computer. Definitely worth the investment. You can get a 500 gig one for $180 now.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I don't like Batman's endless moralizing in this game. I think that the game does not try to paint him as a paragon of justice (at least some of Alfred's lines leave such an impression), but he comes off as really off-putting. Barbara's taking a liking to him seems more like a childish idealization of someone who is weary of the current system and likes the immediate and direct response of Batman's, but he literally doesn't change anything in the grand scheme of things.

I understand that the game is about kicking rear end and taking names, but they introduced all those characters that try to take moral stances, more or less nuanced, having (at least at the beginning, I'm sure afterwards it'd turn out that Enigma blackmails puppies and small children) some good point, and the Batman's response is more or less "Shut up, I'm Batman". You are, but you are also a prick. And talking about how doing something with illegally obtained data as bad is weird, as I don't think Batman works within the confines of law.

All in all, I liked the previous Arkham games better because they didn't bring real world issues to the discussion, at least I don't remember it. And the bugs of Arkham Origins certainly don't help.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It really shows how much less effort came into developing the city here. Compare: in AC, you could climb every building you saw except for one clearly marked block. Here there's a whole lot of inexplicably impassable buildings completely blocking your progress - when you reach the highest place in the city you can reach you definitely won't be able to tell you're there.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Szurumbur posted:

Barbara's taking a liking to him seems more like a childish idealization of someone who is weary of the current system and likes the immediate and direct response of Batman's, but he literally doesn't change anything in the grand scheme of things.

Well I mean, childish idealization is pretty much the foundation of superheroes.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Well, we can say Batman helped clean up the GCPD at least. And some criminals are in jail (which they always break out of).

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I believe childish idolization was his point. I recall a comic where Bats explained that his costume was designed in a way that children would love it, find it cool, or whatever while adults would find it scary as all gently caress. It doesn't make as much sense whenever we get a more realistic Batman (Origins' armor or Nolan's Batman) but when the comics draw him as more like a living shadow I kinda get it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Childish idolization also led to the greatest B:TAS episode ever, I've Got Batman In My Basement, so it's not all bad.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Well I mean, childish idealization is pretty much the foundation of superheroes.

I understand, I just think it was misguided to try to bring up social issues and then simply drop them, or have Batman ignore them. It's a childish fantasy and opening venues for a serious discussion doesn't do anything good, not while they don't do anything with it, at least - e.g. Anarky.

Oh well, none of this makes me not not want to beat up thugs dressed up as a goofy bat.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think that's part of the problem with the writing of this game - Batman is such a dick they have to go out of their way to make the villains worse.

So Anarky uses bigass Saturday morning cartoon bombs, Enigma wants to tear down the whole system (and that's -in my opinion, at least- extremely out of character for him, he's a precision planner, why the hell would he want to cause anarchy instead of more elaborate schemes to put the people he's got issues with out of position), GCPD is completely irredeemable. All to make you feel good - because the game tries to raise real issues as opposed to staying in absurd comicsland.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 8, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

LoonShia posted:

Childish idolization also led to the greatest B:TAS episode ever, I've Got Batman In My Basement, so it's not all bad.

Don't forget Legends of the Dark Knight.

Shut up Joel

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

The enigma stuff was stuff was weird and perhaps a little poorly executed, in the very first dialogue you have with him Enigma claims the blackmail data will definitely lead to widespread rioting and urban chaos and so Bats better prepare for an even worse day tomorrow - Bats then criticizes him over the collateral damage it'll cause. Enigma don't care, Enigma's already killed one technician as collateral damage.

Then in every other exchange Enigma tries to take the moral high ground by leaning on the superiority of nonviolent methods. :psyduck: I know he's crazy/pedantic enough to perform the mental gymnastics to make sense of that but eventually all this gets lost on the player anyway because by end game Bats has put a stampede of thugs in traction for what appears to be loitering.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

anilEhilated posted:

It really shows how much less effort came into developing the city here. Compare: in AC, you could climb every building you saw except for one clearly marked block. Here there's a whole lot of inexplicably impassable buildings completely blocking your progress - when you reach the highest place in the city you can reach you definitely won't be able to tell you're there.

The large impassable buildings were how the devs tried to manage buffering the entire, much larger open world of the city. Rocksteady did something similar in AC, but it was a lot more subtle.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Had to be because I only really remember that one block down south.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Something immediately that comes to mind is that being able to swing directly around Wonder Tower itself instead of having it a significant cornerstone of the map does seem to make a difference in terms of loading pains.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Enigma's all over the place in this game, mostly definitely.

I don't want to talk about the extortion tapes before scruffy collects a full set of 10, but I will say it's rather interesting that Enigma went from his method of dealing with people here to putting people into death traps and trying to kill them.

Hugo Strange's speech about Batman making things worse is supposed to sound like BS in City, but if you look at it after Origins then you can kinda see how the guy is making some sense.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Binged the LP while home sick from work today, and I'm really disappointed they brought the Joker and Riddler (I'm assuming that's who Enigma is) into the game. Never heard anything very good about this game, but I liked the premise that the game would revolve around Batman's lesser known villains, before big names like the Joker or Two-Face or Bane showed up. Was mildly disappointed when the Penguin got involved at that.

Especially for a younger, angrier, sloppier Bat, I would have liked to see a more unorthodox rogue's gallery than the standard fare.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Time to take down a super creep.

Man Of Many Hat/Polsy

New character bio: The Mad Hatter

Combat Challenge: Overflow/Polsy with Bruce Wayne

Spoiler for after watching the video (if you care): It's pretty much the Scarecrow segment from Arkham Asylum but I feel like it's done very well, it's got some character building monologue in it and it's not terrible either! Good job WB Montreal. Tip of the hat.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

RE: Crime Scene. "Blood spatter indicates he was shot from below". The blood spatter was between his feet; assuming blood spatter comes from the exit wound, the only way that would happen is if he were shot from directly above. He could have been shot and then stood there for a minute, bleeding, but the reconstruction shows him ragdolling backward immediately after being shot.

Scale part 2: Check out those doors in Hatters shop, though this time they try to get around by putting the door knobs extra low. Even the shelves before the clock scene make it a tiny comical bat-smurf world, unless those shelves are meant to store monster truck tires.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Wow. At 10:15 you hit that guy so hard he turned into another guy!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wonderland is probably one of the best things about Origins, I'd say. Wish it was a little longer, though.

That being said, Mad Hatter is disturbingly creepy in this game. The fact that he's apparently a rapist/pedophile in the comics doesn't help. :ohdear:

Samovar posted:

Wow. At 10:15 you hit that guy so hard he turned into another guy!

Nah, he ended up knocking down the guy that was behind him. The original blue guy ended up behind Batman.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 9, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Nah, he ended up knocking down the guy that was behind him. The original blue guy ended up behind Batman.

Shh! You'll ruin the magic!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
The Mad Hatter section reminded me of American McGee's Alice games more than of Scarecrow sections in Asylum.
I wonder why

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it hit me before, but Batman sure does have a lot of Alice-themed villains, doesn't he?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

anilEhilated posted:

I don't think it hit me before, but Batman sure does have a lot of Alice-themed villains, doesn't he?

Off the top of my head, there's the Mad Hatter, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, and the Carpenter (if she counts). Even so, two/three is a lot of themed villains.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I'm just waiting for the New 52 to introduce the Caterpillar

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm fairly sure there was a mention of Humpty Dumpty in one of the LP threads too. Possibly more.

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!
God drat, some of those guys had some really high launch velocity when Bruce Wayne took them out. Has that come up before in the regular game videos?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

anilEhilated posted:

I'm fairly sure there was a mention of Humpty Dumpty in one of the LP threads too. Possibly more.

There is also the Walrus and the Unicorn, if memory serves.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

dscruffy1 posted:

Off the top of my head, there's the Mad Hatter, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, and the Carpenter (if she counts). Even so, two/three is a lot of themed villains.

It might be like 20 years since I've last seen alice in wonderland, but who's the carpenter supposed to be?

anilEhilated posted:

He was in Asylum I think, like not on screen, but in written text some place. He's possibly the batman villain I feel the worst for, he has the best intentions, he just wants to fix things, he's always polite, but he sometimes tries to fix stuff that can't be fixed, like trying to disassemble and re-assemble his abusive grandma to try and "fix" her.
If he was sent to any other asylum other than arkham he'd probably be able to be rehabilitated and become an incredibly skilled doctor or something, he has almost unreal skill in realizing what's wrong with something/someone and how to fix it, like with what happened when he met batgirl:

quote:

When Batgirl tried to apprehend him for this, he fell off the rooftop. She saved him - but dislocated her arms in the process. Humpty, being far from aggressive, promptly slipped her arms back into her sockets and surrendered himself to her

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
One of the things that bothers me about this game just occurred to me.

The city of Gotham, which they have lovingly recreated for you to run around in, is... empty. Only criminals, police officers and the homeless are out. This was understandable back in Arkham City, when criminals, police officers private security forces and the homeless political prisoners really were the only people around... but that's not the case now. Sure, it's Christmas. Sure, weird crime poo poo is happening. Sure, it's snowing. But you can't tell me at least some civilians wouldn't be out and about in this city of several million.

Having parts of the map where cars are going back and forth and populated with civilians (who would freak out even more if they saw Batman) would have been nice, and it certainly would have breathed some life into the game. It would have made the 'stop crime' events even more interesting. What if a gang held an entire city block full of civvies hostage, what if there were bombs in civilian-populated areas, so on and so forth.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

JT Jag posted:

One of the things that bothers me about this game just occurred to me.

The city of Gotham, which they have lovingly recreated for you to run around in, is... empty. Only criminals, police officers and the homeless are out. This was understandable back in Arkham City, when criminals, police officers private security forces and the homeless political prisoners really were the only people around... but that's not the case now. Sure, it's Christmas. Sure, weird crime poo poo is happening. Sure, it's snowing. But you can't tell me at least some civilians wouldn't be out and about in this city of several million.

Having parts of the map where cars are going back and forth and populated with civilians (who would freak out even more if they saw Batman) would have been nice, and it certainly would have breathed some life into the game. It would have made the 'stop crime' events even more interesting. What if a gang held an entire city block full of civvies hostage, what if there were bombs in civilian-populated areas, so on and so forth.

I believe there were mentions of a curfew in place.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Lazy Bear posted:

I believe there were mentions of a curfew in place.

Because of the huge ice storm coming in. A few of the criminals mention that everything's closed down because of the weather.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I think that's something we have to suspend our disbeliefs over in these games - Batman is not meant to interact with anyone who's not in on the city-wide game of cops and robbers and so these games will evacuate whole cities if it needs to just to make that happen v:shobon:v

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

Nalesh posted:

It might be like 20 years since I've last seen alice in wonderland, but who's the carpenter supposed to be?

The Walrus and the Carpenter

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Nalesh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EYijQ8xppY&t=278s

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The Hatter made the choking sound before Bats actually moved. Man, the ground pound is something that you have to try because it's good for your score and good for putting people down, but this game pulls no punches. If you go for it, any enemy in the area speeds towards you or ninja flips up from the ground to hit you. It's ridiculous at some points. I really liked Hatter's section in the 2nd time through. The first time wasn't very fun, because the design is kinda confusing and it was annoying to navigate. But the second time I could appreciate it. After all, I loved Scarecrow in Asylum and this was basically that. I didn't expect the Hatter to be back, I mean I felt like we covered all that we needed from him in City. Alice, hats, possible rapist. I would've liked to see something different with the reverse Batarang instead of literally the exact same situation as City. What bugs the gently caress out of me is you can't even DO that in either game. If a hostage is taken in a predator room, you can't have a Mexican standoff.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Technowolf posted:

Because of the huge ice storm coming in. A few of the criminals mention that everything's closed down because of the weather.

Yeah, there's a blizzard, and a massive prison breakout that just put a ton of criminals literally on the streets, so normal civilians have good reason to stay indoors. Of course, in a realistic world, normal people are insane and you'd definitely still have some poor foolish parents running around on Christmas Eve still getting presents for the kiddies, but hey, suspension of disbelief.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

The Hatter made the choking sound before Bats actually moved.

That might've been because of scruffy's computer.

I know that my toaster sometimes has Joker give his "Boo!" line at the beginning of Arkham Asylum without every jumping until about 15 seconds later after he's already done laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Video 10 Notes

Burnley Tower
Ah, Burnley Tower. This has to be one of the most unfortunate bugs in AO. You see, as soon as you finish the radio tower tutorial and enter the open world, the first target of most sandbox players will be to open as many towers as possible. And it's quite doable to glide through the glass window into the tower and trigger the Riddler's trap. So for many people, the glitch (which blocks you from entering the vent inside the trap room) is their first major experience with the game! What's more, Riddler's lines make you feel like you actually fell for something, heightening the player's confusion.

Penguin Weapon Crates
Not much to say- go to a place, put the thing on the thing. Some of the thug dialogue is OK, but Barb's lines are pretty stale after each one. I especially like her referring to "the system". This kind of thing was in AC, too- but only once-twice if you count riddler trophies, which I don't because they have other actions involved. AO does it several times, and none of those times have any variation on them. I think the Penguin sidequest was inserted into the game to pad time, like several other sidequests- notice how Batman has no lines, Barbara does all the talking. Unlike in AC, these quests aren't well-integrated into the world or plot. The one on the Final Offer is a nice touch, though.

Video 11 Notes

The "bad French Canadian hip-hop song"
I need to read what the quote is the thug gives in those lines, but my guess is it's actually an easter egg reference to something involving the devs, WB Montreal. I'll look into it.

Merry Christmas
Because the game handles scripted line priority poorly, you missed out on Batman's response to Alfred's line. He responds, after a long pause, "Merry Christmas, Alfred". It's a great touch. Shame the game wouldn't let you hear it!

Hatter
Ugh. Hatter's voice acting is fantastic, but they've doubled down on centering his character around euphemistic rape. Writers in the comics have long struggled with how to make Hatter interesting and distinct, and instead of doing anything with
his previously established characteristics of being a) a mad (as in generically loony) scientist interested in mind control or b) a goony loner, have been struggling to one-up each other by making Hatter a progressively more transgressive sex offender with each incarnation. A lot of this started with A Serious House on Serious Earth, the ultimate in pointless grimdark, in which Hatter's a serial child rapist murderer. What I'd really like to see in a Tetch sidequest is a remake of the animated series' "Perchance to Dream" episode, which is the sort of interesting character exploration (for both Batman and Tetch) that only Hatter's background and skills can do.

Beyond euphemisms, what's implied from the lines in this game is that we're seeing Tetch's very first attempt using mind control, and that he's motivated by the simple fact that no one ever listens to or cares about him. Of course, then they have to layer a battered women on top of it. Note in particular that the subtitles call her "Kidnapped Girl" :sigh:

Hatter's Level

Hatter's level is gorgeous, especially the stained glass sections. The XP particles are turned into playing cards, too! Many players experienced a progress-stopping physics bug in the brief section where you float across a river of tea. As scruffy demonstrates, a lot of the locations for getting onto or off of ledges and such are also iffy. My guess is that it, and the Hatshop interior in general, were made by an entirely separate internal team. The level's graphically interesting, but it doesn't add any new mechanics to the table. I would've really liked a Hatter-themed combat challenge map- although we will encounter a Hatter predator challenge later on. Oh yeah-

Hatter Goons
Like normal goons, but with rabbit masks. Silent in the campaign, and with some great lines in the predator challenge map, where Tetch hasn't activated their masks yet. The ones in the hallucination get "realistic" bunny heads with creepy flowing red eyes and such- one of them also appears, as previously mentioned, in the scene where the sidequest was introduced.

• Locked thread