Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This is spreading fast so I'm sure a lot of people here already know about it, but Koji Igarashi joined some guys from Double Fine to do commentary on Symphony of the Night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqheYYeA4k4

Harlock posted:

That interview is pretty gold too. It's probably easier to build a PS4 than this "retro system without a well thought out execution." But only 2D 16 bit retro games please. No 3D indies.

Yeah, they're painfully clueless which makes me think that even if it gets funded it's definitely going down the Ouya road. It's like they're all the worst aspects of this hobby piled up in one place...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

univbee posted:

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but the people behind Retro magazine, Kickstartered a while back, are intending to make and launch (with a Kickstarter) a Retro console, its main claim to fame being no-bullshit plug-and-play cartridges. Other fun things include that, in order to cut costs, they are using the ancient dentist trick of "reusing Atari Jaguar's design".

http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/08/this-is-how-you-make-a-new-cartridge-based-retro-video-game-console/

idiocy

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Speaking of misguided...

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Saoshyant posted:

Speaking of misguided...

I really like mine, I wish Sony did

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

TheMcD posted:

doomed from the start.

Same. But some aspects of ideas like this I think would be cool, such as new iterations on old properties (thinking of Hudson here) or arcade games that were never ported before. In any case, refusing network capability or 3D games is just asinine, as is trying to make it dual-definition. Software developers would just love that to pieces. :rolleyes:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I finally got around to playing some of Gundam Battle Assault 2 (the very late PS1 fighting game) and I decided that it's not a game for me. Not that most fighting games are for me, but this felt kind of slow. The suits lumber around. The moves feel like they have long wind ups. It's like every character is the slow character in other fighting games. On the positive side, they do seem to have an awful lot of characters if you're a Gundam fan, though they lock them all because why would you want to pop in a fighting game to take on your friends and have access to everything. Not a lot of backgrounds, though. I've seen the same handful of them over and over again.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The only Gundam games I really like are on the Dreamcast and a couple on PS2. Mostly Armored Core fills that void.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kazvall posted:

The only Gundam games I really like are on the Dreamcast and a couple on PS2. Mostly Armored Core fills that void.

For me the Gundam games I like are the majority of the Super Robot Wars series, this one Japan only PS3 title, and the game where they play baseball against Godzilla.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

flyboi posted:

I had one like these for my Apple II as well but it had two buttons

The thing that guy's missing that both the IBM and TRS-80 version has is a trimmer for both axes. You can see one below and the other to the left of the stick. Very useful if you wanted to play a flight sim or something and the joystick was more than about a week old.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Code Jockey posted:

I really like mine, I wish Sony did

The PSTV is really weird. Sony basically abandoned it before they even got a chance to flub it.

It's definitely something I'd buy if I found it for cheap.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I bought a Genesis with Sonic Classics (1, 2 and Mean Bean Machine I think?), NBA Live '97 and Clue both boxed (e: their game selection was pretty poor). I owned one briefly as a kid but never owned anything for it beyond MK3 and Eternal Champions. I picked this up because I've already got a modest, nice NES collection and wanted something else to collect for that's cheaper/newer to me.

Guide me, goons. Outside of the obvious stuff that populates every "TOP 10 BEST GENESIS GAMES" what do you recommend? Also I own the Sonic's Ultimate Collection on 360, so I don't feel like I have to rush to get anything in there (though I will eventually, probably).

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 10, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

I bought a Genesis with Sonic Classics (1, 2 and Mean Bean Machine I think?), NBA Live '97 and Clue both boxed. I owned one briefly as a kid but never owned anything for it beyond MK3 and Eternal Champions. I picked this up because I've already got a modest, nice NES collection and wanted something else to collect for that's cheaper/newer to me.

Guide me, goons. Outside of the obvious stuff that populates every "TOP 10 BEST GENESIS GAMES" what do you recommend? Also I own the Sonic's Ultimate Collection on 360, so I don't feel like I have to rush to get anything in there (though I will eventually, probably).

*whistles* over here, handsome.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Not even sure what input I can give after this. drat.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
it even has rocket knight adventures at the very top, like all lists should

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Oh. Well.

Thank you.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

The Ultimate Collection hits about half of the awesome games on the system, but here's a short list on my part:

Toe Jam and Earl - Funky coop roguelike.
Afterburner II - Fun shooter they couldn't put on the collection
Ghouls 'n Ghosts - My favorite of the 'n Ghosts series
Revenge of Shinobi and Shadow Dancer - Mysteriously missing from the collection as well
Ghostbusters - The best known secret gem on the system
Castle of Illusion - Surprisingly tricky Micky Mouse platformer
Aladdin - Different from the SNES version; this one plays better but the SNES version has better sound
Landstalker - Really long isometric action-adventure game
Thunder/Lightning Force series - Excellent shooters
Chakan - :unsmigghh:

Broad rules of thumb: don't buy EA games on the platform. Any ports done by Sega themselves are generally excellent regardless of the quality of the game itself (which is pretty much every arcade to home port on the system from before 1991). If there's a version of a game on the Genesis and a version on the SNES, the Genesis version is the inferior one unless there's excessive violence involved.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I'm back to streaming more of my NES backlog oh boy http://hitbox.tv/sebmal

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Don't forget Phantasy Star 2, 3, and 4 if you like RPGs.

Oh yeah Shinobi 3 is also like the best game ever made.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

To add on to Genesis recommendations - if you're into sports games, definitely check out the Mutant League games. They come in football and hockey varieties, and have become cult classics. Basically, it's a regular sports game, but the players are all sorts of monsters/aliens/robots/etc. and murder is rampant on the pitch. Think the NFL Blitz games taken to their logical extreme.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Thanks for the options, dudes. I have a copy of Rocket Knight Adventures coming my way next week, looking forward to checking it out. I guess I'll have to start a real list going for when I go to retro stores and the like.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

To add,

Monster World IV
A really weird port of Rainbow Islands.
A Sega 32X for Knuckles Chaotix, Kolibri, and Space Harrier.
With a flashcart like a Mega Everdrive, you can play all of these and many ROM hacks and English fan translations. See if you can find anything you like on romhacking.net, and sonic hacking will get you more custom Sonic 2 levels than you could want.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Genesis is great because Sega keeps all the popular stuff constantly in print and practically every platform. And the plastic cases mean finding a CIB copy is cheap and easy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

Thanks for the options, dudes. I have a copy of Rocket Knight Adventures coming my way next week, looking forward to checking it out. I guess I'll have to start a real list going for when I go to retro stores and the like.

Rocket Knight deserves its high reputation, but it is super hard. Do not be ashamed at turning down the difficulty; despite what they name the difficulty levels, the US version defaults to what was "very hard" in Japan.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just tested, and my console works. I need to get real AV cables though, that RF adaptor is rough. Also the cheap aftermarket AC adapter has a short in it and makes noise when plugged in (but only when the console is turned off, weirdly enough). Gonna have to get some new cables.

The controller is nice though! Gotta find me a six button.

Here we go :retrogames:

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Found a filthy, but completely functional gamecube in the trash today. It's even an early one with the digital out.

Why would you throw away a gamecube. WHY. WRONG!

It's missing it's Multi-out av cable and the controller is smushed, but I tested it using the hookups for my fruity purple gamecube.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

My favorite Genesis game is Contra: Hard Corps, which is also one of my ten favorite games period.

Elemental Master has my favorite soundtrack on the Genesis, and the game is fine, I guess. It's short and easy, though.

If you want a more challenging shooter, try Gaiares.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
If you want the weirdest rpg which I love and I guess everyone else hates Sword of Vermillion is a very interesting mash up of all the early 90s RPGs.

Think if Ys and Wizardry had a baby with some weird boss fights.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
^^^ that game is great! It was one of the first post childhood games I ever purchased.

Random Stranger posted:

I finally got around to playing some of Gundam Battle Assault 2 (the very late PS1 fighting game) and I decided that it's not a game for me. Not that most fighting games are for me, but this felt kind of slow.

You should try out the SFC Gundam fighting game sometime. It's one of my favorite games ever and is drat fun.

Genesis wise besides the usuals I must recommend Zero Tolerance again. Then there are the Streets of Rage games along with almost 100s of good shooters to choose from.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Tyson Tomko posted:

You should try out the SFC Gundam fighting game sometime. It's one of my favorite games ever and is drat fun.

I got that one coming in the mail sometime soon. Well, two actually. Endless Duel and the G Gundam one. I've heard nothing but good things about Endless Duel and the videos I've seen on the G Gundam game make it look fun at least. It was cheap so whatever.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tyson Tomko posted:

Endless Duel is super loving good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dUQh9XA8MY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0VVo5rFjmI

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I will make link cables for anyone who wants to play Zero Tolerance coop.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Kthulhu5000 posted:

The whole thing reeks of cheaply done, half-baked bullshit that is based less in considered development, and more from a "Wouldn't it be cool if we could duct tape a bunch of poo poo together and have a RETRO console? With CARTS?" mindset. Video games have always been a "tail wagging the dog" kind of thing. You don't sell unless you've got games people want, and all the hardware gimmicks in the world won't change that. Especially not in this day and age, when hardware is ubiquitous, powerful, and much cheaper than it has been in the past.

If they really want retro, they'd be much better served putting their time and resources towards satisfactorily cloning the old systems, or making development for them easier, or going into publishing and support for people doing development for the NES, SNES, Genesis, and so forth. All that plastic and those circuit boards are just going to be e-waste for no good purpose, especially if it's just going to be some kind of Android-based yawnfest with a dumb gimmick in the end.

I agree with this post completely, but especially the bolded part.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I think the most telling part of the Retro VGS or VCS whatever it is for being a train wreak in the works is that they bothered with all the cosmetics and still have yet to announce anything about the low level operation of how the piece of poo poo will work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

flyboi posted:

I think the most telling part of the Retro VGS or VCS whatever it is for being a train wreak in the works is that they bothered with all the cosmetics and still have yet to announce anything about the low level operation of how the piece of poo poo will work.

You can tell it'll be a trainwreck just because it has about as much effort put into it as the Ouya.

Ofecks posted:

Same. But some aspects of ideas like this I think would be cool, such as new iterations on old properties (thinking of Hudson here) or arcade games that were never ported before. In any case, refusing network capability or 3D games is just asinine, as is trying to make it dual-definition. Software developers would just love that to pieces. :rolleyes:

Please don't let someone try to bring back first-gen 3D as a retro thing. That poo poo makes coders vomit black pitch from their eyes and call eldritch terrors unto our world for the mere thought of shadow rendering.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flyboi posted:

I'll put $10 on "android running ARM SoC from a half-decent recent phone".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'll put $10 on "android running ARM SoC from a half-decent recent phone".

I'm expecting Tegra 3, because Nvidia just has to have a warehouse full of those things going unused.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah there are certain system on a chips that aren't total rear end, but the general lack of ability to update the emulators and such is usually what kills them. There's a popular all-in-one system on a chip for Jamma harnesses that I got to gently caress around with a few months ago and it was awesome as hell but IIRC also retails for like 200ish dollars. My friend put one in his home arcade because he had a dead jamma cab he wanted to use and 200 for a no frills plug and play was a decent gamble.

But that's cheap in the context of arcade prices which I understand are exceptionally high when compared to other retro games. When people talk about buying Little Samson for piles of cash and how its so unreasonably priced it just makes me not want to mention how much I paid for SSVS or a few of my PGM games.

Seriously tho, get on the loving PGM train, it's like the last "good" system no one owns or cares about and all the games are really good

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Please don't let someone try to bring back first-gen 3D as a retro thing. That poo poo makes coders vomit black pitch from their eyes and call eldritch terrors unto our world for the mere thought of shadow rendering.

Please do bring it back but with some modern technology like AA and texture filtering. I love the aesthetics of well executed low poly art. Having just replayed Mega Man Legends with some emulator bells and whistles that game looks fantastic despite every character model being like 25 polygons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

Please do bring it back but with some modern technology like AA and texture filtering. I love the aesthetics of well executed low poly art. Having just replayed Mega Man Legends with some emulator bells and whistles that game looks fantastic despite every character model being like 25 polygons.

Mega Man Legends works really well because they went for a cel-shaded aesthetic and pulled it off beautifully. MML2's one of my all-time favorite games, incidentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Pics from SC3 at Arcade 2084!

General layout

The first game I played and held many memories for me as a kid. I did not grow up to be a mass murderer.

Got owned as usual.

Did much better with SF2.

Empire Strikes Back?! Awwwww poo poo.

Look at this vector rear end lookin' Vader...

I had to play this game because of the weird cabinet. It's a weird game...

I like vector arcade games...

This dude was slappin' that trackball hard.

I've only ever played emulated versions of Tapper and never knew it had a Budweiser tie-in. :stare:

Williams games representin'

More classics.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave's game

Punch-Out!!

Hey, it's Not-Lupin!

Dragon's Lair poster and some marquees

More marquees

Space Ace poster and even more marquees

I didn't take many pics of the console room, but I took a pic of the one game that matters

This Genesis store kiosk was new and appeared hours after I got here!

And for some loving reason, I won a god damned Amiibo from the raffle...

BONUS!
Me playing Empire Strikes Back one-handed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K_5ZzYZeSo

Edit: Oh, and even I told myself I wouldn't buy anything. I walked away with a copy of Gargoyle's Quest for the Game Boy with plastic case and manual for 10 bucks. Not bad.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 10, 2015

• Locked thread