Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Man Tapper is a mainstay at all the barcades in Chicago. I'd imagine the others are the same and to be honest I don't get the craze about the game. It's an interesting game but I think overblown in how great it is (and I'm heavily biased because none of the barcades run Neo Geo cabinets which is total bull poo poo.)

Also when were Cammy and Fei Long in SF2:CE :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

flyboi posted:

Man Tapper is a mainstay at all the barcades in Chicago. I'd imagine the others are the same and to be honest I don't get the craze about the game. It's an interesting game but I think overblown in how great it is (and I'm heavily biased because none of the barcades run Neo Geo cabinets which is total bull poo poo.)

Also when were Cammy and Fei Long in SF2:CE :pwn:

Never, it's an obvious board swap. Look at Ryu, he looks way too good for CE, this is obviously New Challengers.. There was a Gigawing machine next to it with the wrong marquee too.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 10, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I never actually knew there was a second vector Star Wars game! I played the original at some arcade before, but I never knew about that one.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Never, it's an obvious board swap. Look at Ryu, he looks way too good for CE, this is obviously New Challengers.. There was a Gigawing machine next to it with the wrong marquee too.

This is pretty common for SF2 cabs everywhere. I'd say its a pretty big tossup whenever you see a vanilla SF2 cab if it's actually vanilla or one of the newer editions.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

El Estrago Bonito posted:

This is pretty common for SF2 cabs everywhere. I'd say its a pretty big tossup whenever you see a vanilla SF2 cab if it's actually vanilla or one of the newer editions.

Yep, I've stumbled onto several Rainbow Editions because of that. :getin:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

Thanks for the options, dudes. I have a copy of Rocket Knight Adventures coming my way next week, looking forward to checking it out. I guess I'll have to start a real list going for when I go to retro stores and the like.

A lot of good ones have been mentioned, but if you have a chance to import, pick up Zero Wing. I'd give it a catch copy: "More than just the source of a famous meme!" It's actually a very fun shooter and has a kick-rear end soundtrack.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Elliotw2 posted:

I never actually knew there was a second vector Star Wars game! I played the original at some arcade before, but I never knew about that one.

It was a ROM upgrade for the Atari Star Wars and since most owners didn't go for it so it was pretty rare in the first place. I seem to remember something about the upgrade being flaky in some way so it killed a lot of boards but that may be my memory confusing it with something else.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Pics from SC3 at Arcade 2084!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave's game

Imagine going through junior high with those initials. It was a rough time, but now it's kinda badass because I don't give a gently caress.

Also, I was kinda sad that the right side of the monitor got munched, but the rest of the cab is in pristine condition. My cab at home has no sideart plus outside wear, tear and graffiti, but the monitor's in perfect shape.

Thank you for taking those pictures, Miniboss.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
A bit late on the Genesis discussion, but the one game we played a ton of as kids was Skitchin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX8AWEQT3pM

Gonna try and track down a copy for myself now.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Carbon Thief posted:

A bit late on the Genesis discussion, but the one game we played a ton of as kids was Skitchin'.

Radical. I want to play it wearing a Hypercolor shirt.

I wonder if they still work...

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hypercolor was the 80s, you'd need a Big Johnson t-shirt, baggy jorts and a pair of white FILA basketball shoes instead :v:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i beat double dribble. that game's alright.

i beat gauntlet. that game's a war crime.

i want to die

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Genny reccomendations:

I always liked Gods, but apparently it's slightly sped up due to improper porting (which makes sense, since that game is really loving hard). It's a straight up Amiga puzzleplatformer with a weird Greek God theme that's not quite accurate. The music is amazing.

Also, Rolling Thunder 2 and 3.

But really, if you're starting from scratch and want to play games, just get an everdrive at this point and buy "real" games as you come across them for a deal. Short of being insanely bad with money or buying a reproduction Megadrive cart (yep, that's me), it's the only reasonable way to get ahold of poo poo like MUSHA.

*No offense on the money point. I know where I am. :)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

genesis game that is required above everything else: dynamite headdy. thats it.

oh the first road rash also is best on genesis and has the best soundtrack of any of them

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

univbee posted:

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but the people behind Retro magazine, Kickstartered a while back, are intending to make and launch (with a Kickstarter) a Retro console, its main claim to fame being no-bullshit plug-and-play cartridges. Other fun things include that, in order to cut costs, they are using the ancient dentist trick of "reusing Atari Jaguar's design".

http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/08/this-is-how-you-make-a-new-cartridge-based-retro-video-game-console/

Re-Tro Video Games System

They aren't even doing a wireless controller, no internet connectivity means no DLC for games like Shovel Knight. I don't understand the point of this but I can't wait for the kickstarter to get $40 million.

Also Kid Chameleon is the greatest Genesis game ever made and if you own a Genesis and not Kid Chameleon you might as well just throw that system into the dirt.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

absolutely anything posted:

i beat double dribble. that game's alright.

i beat gauntlet. that game's a war crime.

i want to die

I believe in you! You can do it! You really shouldn't, but you can!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I've only ever played emulated versions of Tapper and never knew it had a Budweiser tie-in. :stare:

The Budweiser version is actually the original. There was an outcry over advertising beer to kids and that's how it became Root Beer Tapper.

Elliotw2 posted:

The Empire Strikes Back game is relatively rare. I've never seen one in the wild myself.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Any of you going to the Pac-Man birthday event at Level 257 later this month? I'm not, but a Chicago buddy of mine will be there. They'll have Toru Iwatani, Billy Mitchell, Walter Day, a live Pac-Man Fever performance by Buckner, and...uh, a bunch of promos for that Adam Sandler movie.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...4-30-story.html

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Elliotw2 posted:

I own a Star Wars cabinet and have always wanted to do an Empire mod to add some variety. Unfortunately all of the mods appear to require mucking with the original circuit boards to de-solder the CPU and whatnot, I'd rather have it be original. Maybe if someone had entire replacement boards?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Carbon Thief posted:

Wasn't there a Gamepro ad for this that read "Skitchin, Hitchin', BITCHIN!!"?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I would like to take this time to thank my Mom for getting me a Sega Genesis for Christmas when I was 7.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Please don't let someone try to bring back first-gen 3D as a retro thing. That poo poo makes coders vomit black pitch from their eyes and call eldritch terrors unto our world for the mere thought of shadow rendering.

That's not what I had in mind. He said in the interview that the tech would be "all new", so I just assumed it would be able to handle stuff like Race the Sun or Audiosurf.

Azazell0 posted:

A lot of good ones have been mentioned, but if you have a chance to import, pick up Zero Wing. I'd give it a catch copy: "More than just the source of a famous meme!" It's actually a very fun shooter and has a kick-rear end soundtrack.

Agreed. I think all the Toaplan MD ports are good, but I don't care much for Hellfire due to the clunky direction-switching gameplay. Grind Stormer is great, and also includes the Japanese version V-V. I think the port was the last thing they did before going under. Might want to skip Slap Fight MD - last I heard it was :retrogames:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

CarpetCrawler posted:

Awesome!! I've been looking to pick that up soon. From the footage I've seen it looks like a pretty fun game if you're a fan of the series. Right now I'm waiting on a copy of the Urusei Yatsura DS game, Endless Summer, to arrive in the mail.

Also that is one rad poster.

I hope your Japanese is really loving good or you don't intend to play Endless Summer at all. I have it, and even half-proficient in Japanese it's really a shitload of text.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Kazvall posted:

I would like to take this time to thank my Mom for getting me a Sega Genesis for Christmas when I was 7.

Yeah me too.

I'll second that all the Toaplan shooters are really good on the Genesis too, but they're also really loving hard. I grew up playing Hellfire and have the same cart from when I was young, but I've never actually made it past the first stage.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would also like to thank mom for the NES. Then the Gameboy. Then Genesis. SNES. Playstation. N64 and Dreamcast. I especially thank you for braving the crowds at Target for a PS2 on launch date (my birthday is October 26 so imagine my loving surprise). Thank you, mom, for enabling my bad habits. I could have been an artist or wrote an award winning screenplay but instead I'm crouched over a Trinitron I bought at Goodwill while playing 25 year old video games.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Nintendo Kid posted:

Like seriously the Amiga's problem is that it's a design very good for solving a particular problem at a particular time, namely good computer graphics especially on a TV in the mid-80s, and everything about how they implemented it severely hampered any attempts to keep it going an competitive as computer design evolved. The mismanagement didn't help of course, but perfect management would have had a very hard time keeping it going as well, absent a willingness to completely drop compatibility. The fact that the Amiga was designed a lot like a TV-focused console had a lot to do with that.

This is pages back but the platform was actually pretty amazing even for serious things, especially the later OS revisions. There were many modern concepts in it that would take years to appear in the PC market, and some concepts that stayed pretty unique with AmigaOS For example, take AREXX - a script language. It could interface with programs running on the System and more interestingly, allowed you to make the programs interface with each other and utilize their capabilities in your scripts. You could for example make scripts that capture data from some hardware interface and custom written software with AREXX support, fill that Data into a Table in TurboCalc (Amiga's Excel) utilizing TurboCalcs functions, then plot graphs and create graphics from the Data in TurboCalc in DPaint (utilizing DPaints graphic functions) then have DPaint save that picture and have it automatically attached to an eMail in an eMail Program. AREXX was enormously versatile, and in a way your scripting capabilities were expanded by every new Application with AREXX support and sensible interface commands. You might now say "Yeah, but sadly it was only supported by like two programs ever" but no, actually AREXX was supported almost religiously by every serious App developer and it was immensely useful to make custom-tailored solutions for specific jobs, especially since it was easy to grasp even for the non-programmer (think Python, in a way). Now it's basically not known that such a thing even existed outside of select few circles. All because most people are barely aware the Amiga was used for things other than games.

But Commodore made so many mistakes and there was such mismanagement, the Platform was basically doomed the day Commodore bought Amiga Inc.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Caitlin posted:

I hope your Japanese is really loving good or you don't intend to play Endless Summer at all. I have it, and even half-proficient in Japanese it's really a shitload of text.

I'm a Urusei Yatsura fan who knew what I was getting into (I got the game for a decent price which is why I went for it) with how it's not gonna be all that playable, so no worries. :thumbsup:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Broke out rad racer today. In even worse then when I was a kid.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
You'd better be good at Rad Racer if you want to get anywhere at the Nintendo World Championships!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I sort of got the Neo Geo Pocket Color bug again and I'm looking to get a full US release set pretty soon. All considered it's only 30 games(counting that you can get a US Faselei cart). 38 if I want UK releases as well. It's nice because you can get a lot of the games for around 10-20 bucks. I know Faselei is going to be pretty pricey, though. Gals Fighters, too. Here's a list of the games I got so far. Might start reviewing them once I have time.

Biomotor Unitron
Puzzle Bobble
Dark Arms
Metal Slug 2nd
Puzzle link 1 and 2
SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters (Capcom and SNK version)
SNK vs Capcom Match of the Millenium
Sonic Pocket Adventure
Pocket Tennis
KoF R2
Pac-Man

E: Of course something like this has to come up on my facebook feed as soon as I hit post:

Did you guys know there is a slim version of the NGPC?

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 10, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Wait, is Faselei a rare US game? I got one of the repackaged NGPC sets a few years ago, and it had a US Faselei cart in the set. I didn't pay more than $30 for the whole thing either.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

Wait, is Faselei a rare US game? I got one of the repackaged NGPC sets a few years ago, and it had a US Faselei cart in the set. I didn't pay more than $30 for the whole thing either.

It's about $75 or so now. The repacked version was just the recalled stock that never got released in the US. I know it came out in the UK and then was recalled. Sources say only about 10,000 possible copies were released into circulation but it's hard to say if the US stock changes that number much

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I really want some of that wonderswan action in that picture.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Kazvall posted:

It's about $75 or so now. The repacked version was just the recalled stock that never got released in the US. I know it came out in the UK and then was recalled. Sources say only about 10,000 possible copies were released into circulation but it's hard to say if the US stock changes that number much

I got my copy from the UK in the days people were dropping 150-220 on eBay for it. For msrp because even when the geo was new I was cheap. I even originally bought mine on sale.

It's a small but humble collection. Sadly Gal Fighters is stupid priced nowadays so really only Metal Slug 2nd is a game I seriously want for the thing. I do love the hell out of the machine. Still one of the best loving controllers PERIOD.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I wish they never cheaped out and stopped making those plastic game cases. :(

Also, you can find new NGPC systems for around $100-$125. Sealed with original tape.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 11, 2015

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Genesis games that are cool and not on that big list:

Landstalker: it's isometric Zelda and I believe is in canon with Shining Force. It's great and awesome and really loving long for a game of that era

Shining in the Darkness: RPG first person dungeon crawler. Definitely canon with Shining Force

Puggsy: this game is probably only on this list because of nostalgia. It's a weird platformer about a sentient potato fighting badgers and raccoons or something. Every Rom I've ever played won't let you go past the fifth level which is a bummer cause it gets pretty neat in later levels.

Comix Zone: maybe this was on the list. Comic themed beat em up. It's real loving hard but a good time.

Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure: It's basically Super Mario World with a Tiny Toons skin. Very good game, lot of levels.

I'll probably remember some more once I get home and look at my games.

E: Jewel Master

You pick up rings and you can wear two on each hand and their effects combine. It's okay, not great.

E: I see several of my suggestions were lower in that big list. I'll also recommend Chiki Chiki Boys as a cool fun game.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 11, 2015

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So how far do you guys think I can get in Symphony of the Night without using a save/life recovery room? I'm also playing no magic/no shield rod, though I'm really tempted to bust them out if I reach Galamoth...

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ambitious Spider posted:

Broke out rad racer today. In even worse then when I was a kid.

Are you remembering to boost, lots of people forget it's there and try to play it like outrun which leads to losing real quick

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

If there's a version of a game on the Genesis and a version on the SNES, the Genesis version is the inferior one unless there's excessive violence involved.

This is a weird niche I fell into and even though I'm a Nintendo fanboy, I have found there are several games that are better on the Genesis that don't fit your criteria. It's mostly because they were originally developed for the Genesis and received a slapdash port but here's a few and I know there's others.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine – Crossroads of Time
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Echoes from the Past
Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sockser posted:

Puggsy: this game is probably only on this list because of nostalgia. It's a weird platformer about a sentient potato fighting badgers and raccoons or something. Every Rom I've ever played won't let you go past the fifth level which is a bummer cause it gets pretty neat in later levels.

Force your emulator's save type to none/disabled, or play the CD version which has some minor changes (but the GEN music for Red Woods is way way better). Also Puggsy still has better physics puzzles than games do now :colbert:

• Locked thread