Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kanfy posted:

Depends a great deal on your preferred genres, if JRPGs are your thing then there's plenty of those. I second Shadow Hearts, the second game (Covenant) is especially good. Other than that...

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Dragon Quest VIII
God Hand
Odin Sphere
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect (Some prefer 2 but both are great)

That said some games emulate better than others so look around.

God Hand and Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne are on the PS3 as rereleases so no need to emulate those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the best version of MGS3 to play?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

What's the best version of MGS3 to play?

Are you a completionist who has to get everything? The PS2 Subsistence release.

The HD re-releases are somewhat better looking (texture filtering on PC can only do so much) with faster load times (a big plus for me because the menu is the worst aspect of MGS3) but they're missing some of the crazy mini-games that only the PS2 version includes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

The only PS2 game you will ever need is Warship Gunner 2

Which PCSX2 has some annoying issues with that no one seems to have the will to fix.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

al-azad posted:

Are you a completionist who has to get everything? The PS2 Subsistence release.

The HD re-releases are somewhat better looking (texture filtering on PC can only do so much) with faster load times (a big plus for me because the menu is the worst aspect of MGS3) but they're missing some of the crazy mini-games that only the PS2 version includes.

ALright, definitely, how does the 3DS version compare?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

dis astranagant posted:

Which PCSX2 has some annoying issues with that no one seems to have the will to fix.

I don't know what you're talking about, unless the issue you mean is passing out frequently due to all my blood being drained away from the brain by my raging boner

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Current version broke how it handles the VIF to fix the Snowblind engine games, which results in a bunch of missing geometry and probably some other problems down the line. Or you can go back to a pre-1.0 version that renders sea level fog as an opaque white strip that makes it nearly impossible to see distant enemies.

Best option would be playing the superior PSP version in PPSSPP. It emulates perfectly but has the unfortunate problem of being in Japanese.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Accordion Man posted:

The Shadow Hearts games and Silent Hills 2 and 3 (The HD Collection is godawful)

One thing to note about Shadow Hearts emulation: Thanks to the utterly bizarre way its graphics are coded, it has some major speed issues unless you're running a particularly powerful rig.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Hey I'm looking for co-op games my brother and I can enjoy. We only have pcs and I am not a fan of shooters but my brother is a less picky about games stuff.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
So after watching the kickstarter video for Yooka-Laylee, I have a real craving for a 3D platformer. Can anyone recommend me a 3rd person 3D platformer on Steam with controller support? Looking for a real N64/PS1 era kind of game; like a Crash Bandicoot or Rayman 2 or Banjo-Kazooie

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

al-azad posted:

but they're missing some of the crazy mini-games that only the PS2 version includes.

Only the dream game and Snake VS Monkey, which while a shame aren't a huge loss for the benefits the HD port adds in.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Saigyouji posted:

One thing to note about Shadow Hearts emulation: Thanks to the utterly bizarre way its graphics are coded, it has some major speed issues unless you're running a particularly powerful rig.

I remember finishing Shadow Hearts on PCSX2 and my computer isn't particularly amazing so it can't be that bad.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

dis astranagant posted:

Current version broke how it handles the VIF to fix the Snowblind engine games, which results in a bunch of missing geometry and probably some other problems down the line. Or you can go back to a pre-1.0 version that renders sea level fog as an opaque white strip that makes it nearly impossible to see distant enemies.

Best option would be playing the superior PSP version in PPSSPP. It emulates perfectly but has the unfortunate problem of being in Japanese.

Turns out I played it on some 1.0 version from 2012, so maybe that's it. Didn't notice any fog issues though, but then again, I was too busy cramming as many giant fuckoff guns onto my giant fuckoff battleship as possible.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

ALright, definitely, how does the 3DS version compare?

It's adequate. I can't recommend it unless you have a New 3DS or circle pad pro. Gameplay wise the biggest change is fewer enemies (something like 1 enemy less per screen) and you can hold fewer animals/food. Framerate during gameplay is generally good but cutscenes it can crawl for no reason. On the upside the menu is better and the menu is largely this game's biggest flaw.

Still, it's not the ideal platform unless you literally have nothing else. The HD version on Vita is a better portable game and either Subsistence or the HD release are better overall.

Super Waffle posted:

So after watching the kickstarter video for Yooka-Laylee, I have a real craving for a 3D platformer. Can anyone recommend me a 3rd person 3D platformer on Steam with controller support? Looking for a real N64/PS1 era kind of game; like a Crash Bandicoot or Rayman 2 or Banjo-Kazooie

Ughh, Soul Reaver? I think that has controller support. Nothing like the games you mentioned, it's closer to an action/puzzle platformer.

Grow Home is actually really enjoyable. It has the massive world of old 3D platformers but with a singular objective of growing these plants as high as they can go. I can totally imagine seeing that game on the old platforms.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I remember a way back when I played some sort of semi-adventure game that was on PC and PC based (literally, the game took place on a PC) about trying to save someone in the computer? Does anyone remember it and have any suggestions for good games like that?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I remember playing the videogame tie-in for Nirvana, the not too terrible italian sci-fi movie with Christophe Lambert, and your description seems pretty close. The game was forgettable but entertaining, it had some weird quirks (especially at the time) such as locking you out for a certain amount of real time if you got something specific wrong, and the three questions at the beginning which you could only answer if you watched (closely) the movie.

If I remember right it was a bitch to play on anything more modern than win98, so good luck with that.

As for my request - any strategy game (RTS, TBS, grand, 4x, DF-like, I'm not too fussy) where you play a necromancer/warlock as a "create a horde of undead, they'll create more undead, till the world is drowning in zombies" kind of playthrough? Thinking similar to a death magic wizard in Master of Magic, or a Warlock playthrough in Masterwork DF.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

canepazzo posted:

As for my request - any strategy game (RTS, TBS, grand, 4x, DF-like, I'm not too fussy) where you play a necromancer/warlock as a "create a horde of undead, they'll create more undead, till the world is drowning in zombies" kind of playthrough? Thinking similar to a death magic wizard in Master of Magic, or a Warlock playthrough in Masterwork DF.

Dominions 4 fits perfectly. Make a pretender god that specializes in Death magic, pick an undead nation, and go to town flooding the world with ghosts/vampires/skeletons/zombie legionnaires. Then cast a dark ritual to blot out the sun so that only undead can see, or accelerate time to ridiculous degrees so that everything dies of old age, except for undead which don't really care about that sort of thing.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

canepazzo posted:

You're probably already familiar with these, but the Heroes of Might and Magic series typically had a necromancer hero (and branch of the single-player campaign) that revolved around special abilities that turned vanquished enemies into skeletons to add to your giant gently caress-off undead horde. HoMM 3 is usually considered the best of the series, but HoMM 5 gets some love too -- it has less charm than 3, but has a more interesting skill tree.

I'm not an expert, but I felt that this was one area where the King's Bounty reboot series was less fun than the HoMM series it partially evolved from (of course, HoMM evolved from the original KB) in that it wasn't nearly as easy or as fun to play as a necromancer as it was in HoMM.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

canepazzo posted:

Seconding Lewd Mangabey, HOMM is what you want. HOMM necromancers are amazingly OP and one of the most fun to play because across all games Necromancers consistently have the ability to raise dead (duh).

In HOMM generally you buy new units each week and then you use those forces to fight and conquer, which gets you resources and experience (glory) for your hero, but you lose some of your army. But then next week you get more.

Necromancers however spend units to make units. Every conflict you get into, you lose a few units but you kill a lot of enemy and then raise their corpses to replenish your forces. So you're actually steadily accumulating units throughout the week. Necromancers generally end the game with giant hordes of the lower tier units, which are surprisingly strong in huge numbers.

Even better is in lots of the games you can get 'eternal servitude' as a feat which allows you to raise the dead of both the enemy forces and your own forces, so you can just keep recycling your minions over and over. :getin: (You lose a percentage each time and you have only so much necromatic energy, but drat it works wonders)

Also Age of Wonders 3 is similar, and while necromancy isn't as rampant you can do some cool stuff like terraform your enemy's lands so you could get that whole "spreading the blight" thing going on.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I played up to HOMM4, forgot how much I hated (I think it was Spectres?) which would beeline for my peasant throng and multiply to infinity in the first one - but yeah, those were good suggestions too; how're 5 and 6?

Also, good call on Age of Wonders, didn't notice the latest expansion is literally "Necromancers: the game" - purchased.

Dominions I try really hard to like but I just can't seem to get into it, though it looks like it might be like games like DF or CK2 which took me multiple playthroughs throughout many months before I could actually get them to "click".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
5, especially if you get the two expansions, is one of the best HOMM games. Its better balanced than 2 or 3 and its more fair, the UI is also much more descriptive. The art style is a little more cartoony than 3 but its not anything unbearable. The game is fully 3D so you can turn the camera anytime, on battle or on the map or on town screens. IMO it has the best town screens of the whole franchise, they're really stellar. The best part is the last expansion doubles the number of troops each faction gets and gives you all kinds of strategic choices than no other HOMM game has. Its generally great.

6 is like HOMM: Tournament Edition. Everything was stripped down and simplified or redone. Some of the changes, like how you pick skills from a tree rather than from random choices, I like, while other changes I don't like as much. There's fewer units and fewer spells, for one. Its also 3D, although its a little more serious and less cartoony than 5 which I like. The models have good detail. Originally the game didn't even have town screens but they patched them in, but they feel very minimal compared to the previous games. They do a lot of things to try to make the turns faster so the game can actually move at a good pace, which is a good idea since turn based games can take AGES, but in practice I don't know if I like it better this way.

HoMM6 is probably the best HOMM to play competitively with other people, but I never really played much HOMM that way. I played them more as single player campaigns with lots of lore and flavor, and HOMM6 feels like it has the least flavor by far of the entire series, barring maybe HOMM 1 which was just too simple.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed the player hero progression of HOMM6 but it's not as good as 5 or 3.

There is an Inferno unit called Xana if you enjoyed Dark Messiah (which you should have) though it's probably not the same one :p

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Capsaicin posted:

I remember a way back when I played some sort of semi-adventure game that was on PC and PC based (literally, the game took place on a PC) about trying to save someone in the computer? Does anyone remember it and have any suggestions for good games like that?

Tron 2.0 maybe.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

canepazzo posted:

Dominions I try really hard to like but I just can't seem to get into it, though it looks like it might be like games like DF or CK2 which took me multiple playthroughs throughout many months before I could actually get them to "click".

Yeah Dominions is definitely that kind of a game. I've been playing since December and I still have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing. I would get utterly curbstomped if I even thought about joining a multiplayer game.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just bought HoMM 3 on GOG on these past few recommendations. Jesus this game is hard.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Super Waffle posted:

Have you tried psychonauts?

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

canepazzo posted:

Another one is Eador: Masters of the Broken World
You can choose the mage type and go with necromancy skills and spells and end up with an all undead army.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm looking for a game that lets me build a nation with development aspects to it. Like, building a main city surrounded by farms turning into towns, and the like. Preferably strategy or simulation. I'm on PC.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

ducttape posted:

Have you tried psychonauts?

Seconding this. It's a little tricky to get a 360 controller set up, but it's totally worth the effort. Probably the the best, most unique platformer of its time imo.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
So I've been in the mood for another monster raising/battling/whatever game, and was wondering if there were any decent new ones released in the last few years. I've played every Pokemon game, most of the Digimon games, all the Monster Ranchers, and a few other older games like Jade Cocoon 1/2, Azure Dreams, Dragon Warrior Monsters, ect. I'm afraid I may have exhausted the supply of monster games out there. It doesn't have to be turn based, and I really like variety in my monsters, plus the ability to evolve or fuse is always fun too.

E: Forgot to mention, I have a PC, PS3, 3DS, and Wii U, and I don't currently have a phone good enough to play most phone games so things like Summoners War and P&D are currently out of the question.

Plasbad fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 15, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Danger Mahoney posted:

I just bought HoMM 3 on GOG on these past few recommendations. Jesus this game is hard.

3 is by faaaaaaar the hardest in the entire series. You really really need to have the manual or the guide with you when you play it. There's a ton of information that is really badly or not at all communicated to the player.

If you haven't played other HOMM games, I would start with 5 and then move on to 3 when you really understand how the game works.

3 is loving hard even on the "easy" difficulty. It doesn't joke around.

FYI:
Few 1-4
Several 5-9
Pack 10-19
Lots 20-49
Horde 50-99
Throng 100-249
Swarm 250-499
Zounds 500-999
Legion 1000+

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 15, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Danger Mahoney posted:

Are you trying to do the campaigns? Because if you are, chances are you picked the topmost one (Shadow of Death) first but that's the campaign for the second expansion back and really not the place to start at all as it assumes you're an experienced player. Restoration of Erathia is the first campaign and it's very forgiving for the most part, so start from there.

Zaphod42 posted:

3 is by faaaaaaar the hardest in the entire series. You really really need to have the manual or the guide with you when you play it. There's a ton of information that is really badly or not at all communicated to the player.

If you haven't played other HOMM games, I would start with 5 and then move on to 3 when you really understand how the game works.

3 is loving hard even on the "easy" difficulty. It doesn't joke around.

You're massively exaggerating that game's difficulty level (which varies a whole lot from map to map) and I have no idea where you're pulling this from. Having played all HoMM games it doesn't stand out as particularly hard at all compared to the others nor is the series particularly hard compared to other games in the genre. Plus Easy gives you so many advantages that if you have any kind of experience about these kind of games, you should not have a hard time once you get an idea of how things work and how strong different creatures are.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 16, 2015

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Looking for games to play on a trip with my three year old son on a macbook pro using dualshock 4s. Trip will involve some long plane and train rides. Currently thinking Towerfall, NES/SNES games, maybe some Nintendo platformers using Dolphin. I'm thinking I also want something adventurey (think maybe Secret of Mana or Hyper Light Drifter) that he is at least somewhat capable of playing. His ability to use the sticks, especially the right one, is pretty limited. Something like Diablo or Torchlight would probably be cool if they had controller support, local co-op, and were easy enough for a three year old.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Are there any games out there which count ammo for handguns / rifles properly? i.e. so you either discard whatever is left in the mag when you reload, or end up with a half-full mag you can use later, rather than just continually pulling full clips from a pool of ammo? I'm sure I've played some very few games that do, but I can't remember what they were.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Flopstick posted:

Are there any games out there which count ammo for handguns / rifles properly? i.e. so you either discard whatever is left in the mag when you reload, or end up with a half-full mag you can use later, rather than just continually pulling full clips from a pool of ammo? I'm sure I've played some very few games that do, but I can't remember what they were.

The original X-com series did this. I can't think of any FPS that do off the top of my head.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

A bunch of games have that feature, especially older ones. Off the top of my head, most Battlefield games had it until 3 as did earlier Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six games. ARMA does it too I believe, as does E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy. I think The Darkness did as well?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Flopstick posted:

May be wrong, but I think that EYE Divine Cibermancy does this.

Edit: hooray for answering on the phone and not refreshing.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 16, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

May be wrong, but I think that EYE Divine Cibermancy does this.

One post above you. :v:

I'm not entirely sure but I was reminded that Escape From Butcher Bay might've done it as well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Flopstick posted:

The original Mafia, strangely enough. I don't know about the sequel.

There's an interesting proof-of-concept game called Receiver that's about realistic gunplay. There's no UI except for which keys do what. Magazines are limited and you can strip them, add individual rounds, and check the back to see the ammo count. There's a key for every single firearm related action. Like for the semi-auto you have to manually eject/insert the magazine. They count the chamber so if you accidentally rack the gun you'll eject the round, or you'll have to rack it when you insert a fresh magazine unless you fired your last round at which point the gun automatically locks. You can toggle the safety for some reason and even pull back the hammer which does nothing since there's no trigger pressure on a mouse but would have been neat if they could simulate that.

You also have a revolver. To reload you have to eject the cylinder, mash on the ejector rod because the rounds often get stuck, insert the rounds one-by-one, and close the chamber (you can even spin it if you want). I wish they had a single action and double action revolver just so they could make the hammer do something.

It's not a "good" game, it was made during a game jam, but it's often on sale for like a $1 and I think it's a really neat concept. If someone cleaned it up and made a full game around meticulous gunplay I'd buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Was gonna recommend this because it's basically Ammo Management: The Game. The game is actually pretty fun if you're playing it for the neat gameplay mechanics, rather than for graphics or story or whatever. The overall structure of the game is super simple, to win you have to explore a procedurely generated level and find 11 cassettes, but that's not what the game is about. What makes it fun is the tense moments you get from trying to shoot an enemy only to run out of ammo and trying to remember all the steps necessary to properly reload your gun while still under attack.

If you're looking for a multiplayer shooter with ammo management, the Red Orchestra series does a pretty good job of this. Anytime you reload while there's still rounds in the magazine, the partially full magazine goes to the back of the ammo queue and you grab whatever magazine is next in the queue, displaying a "magazine feels light/heavy" to give you an idea of how many rounds are in the magazine you just loaded.