Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Tsuru posted:

There's no loving way any corporation sends their lowly engineers up in a G6000. These are 50MM a pop and are for board-level execs... even when just visiting one of those they made me wear a pair of those overshoes.

Ryanair has a Lear 35 they use to shuttle techs and parts to outstations, so there's that I guess.

Eh, not as true as you'd think. It depends on how big of a poo poo storm an issue is and the impact to revenue. For instance the CEO of a large company sent his biz jet to pick up 7 of us in four different cities. Then deliver us to where we needed to work for the next 48hrs straight so that his company didn't go under. I don't want to know how big our fee was on that, because I'd just be pissed I didn't get a cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

Worthleast posted:

Went to ogle the F-22s at KBFI. Only one was out. A real, combat coded Raptor!

But they had this one for bonus instead!

jesus lord, so worth the trip, had a nice chat with the pilot and his mx crew.

and this thingy.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

potentiometer posted:

But they had this one for bonus instead!

Hey cool, a k falls 173rd bird - my old stomping ground

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Looks like the French have a couple of helicopter carriers that they built for Russia which cannot be delivered due to sanctions.

Alternative buyers have been identified as that beacon of light in the world, Egypt and Canada, which as far as I know has no real helicopter force let alone the budget for a couple of carriers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s_campaign=1490

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

slidebite posted:

Looks like the French have a couple of helicopter carriers that they built for Russia which cannot be delivered due to sanctions.

Alternative buyers have been identified as that beacon of light in the world, Egypt and Canada, which as far as I know has no real helicopter force let alone the budget for a couple of carriers.

Yeah Canada needs a forward base for it's Cyclones. And they can put a Sea King on there so it can be brought right next to it's destination on it's annual airworthy day.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

Yeah, Canada has been systematically underfunding the military we have now, so for that reason alone I can't imagine they'd be interested in an admittedly useful helicopter carrier. We've found it borderline impossible to get new Navy helicopters : /

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So everyone in AI knows about those occasional finds of amazing old cars in a barn, but this one is interesting in that it actually belongs in this thread:

http://barnfinds.com/hangar-find-1944-p-51-mustang-more/

Now, if I only was a multi-millionaire.

Edit: The actual auction with more pictures, and bid deposit information.

http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/CA/Torrance/90505/872457

Online Estate Aircraft Auction
By Order of the Probate Court of Los Angeles
1944 North American P-51D Mustang 25NT Serial #44-84896
Additional Packard Rolls Royce V150-9 Engine
Ryan PT-22 Military Trainer (Project)
1950 Tempco Swift

The Locator fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 10, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

C.M. Kruger posted:

This was in the related videos section, swingin' tunes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEMi04eXju8

Didn't realize the F-16's wings flexed that much in a turn. (most visible at around 2:09)

Every time I see a video like this I just marvel at how much visibility they have, it's like you're riding a jet powered motorcycle.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Eej posted:

Every time I see a video like this I just marvel at how much visibility they have, it's like you're riding a jet powered motorcycle.

the first thing I thought watching that video? "Man you must have to put like SPF 500,000,000 on any skin not covered in flight suit/helmet/gloves" :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The idea is to minimize exposed skin, because fire.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yeah, Canada has been systematically underfunding the military we have now, so for that reason alone I can't imagine they'd be interested in an admittedly useful helicopter carrier. We've found it borderline impossible to get new Navy helicopters : /

If they can manage to purchase it though, they have further leverage to get funding for more helos. It's the kind of argument that usually works in government.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

A flying car crashed today. The pilot survived.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Looks like an ultralight crashed into a parked car :/

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Barnsy posted:

Looks like an ultralight crashed into a parked car :/

That's what they said to the designer :v:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Godholio posted:

The idea is to minimize exposed skin, because fire.

I know - I was just amused by the thought of me and my lily white Scot/Irish skin, in an F-16 greenhouse cockpit, having the worlds best sunburn skin cancer tan right around my wrist where my watch would be and my neck. :v:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Seriously considering building a RC plane. I have no idea where to even start, but I want to someday design and build my own, since I'll never be rich enough to build an actual plane.

Any pointers?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Inacio posted:

Seriously considering building a RC plane. I have no idea where to even start, but I want to someday design and build my own, since I'll never be rich enough to build an actual plane.

Any pointers?

I don't know anything about it, but check this thread out:

DIY & Hobbies › RC aerial vehicles - possibly with cameras, possibly for spying on girls

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Such a pretty plane.

Also, a B-29 being restored out front

Still wondering about the Hornet I saw land at KGEG with the same Jolly Roger tail.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Really spergy video, but if you're anything like me, you'll watch all 22 minutes of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IL3UoU9CbM

And already know most of what he's talking about

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is that F-22 a permanent museum piece already? Didn't it just have it's first combat flight in September of last year?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Hadlock posted:

Is that F-22 a permanent museum piece already? Didn't it just have it's first combat flight in September of last year?

Being phased out for the F-35 :downs:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Good one :). No, seriously, is this a rebuilt airframe from one of the two that crashed due to the computer glitch or something? Google-pedia says these things run about $336 million a pop after you factor in program costs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There were also some very early tails that are functionally worthless. I think one was scheduled for destructive testing (shoot it and see what happens!) but was diverted to a museum a couple of years ago.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

pkells posted:

Really spergy video, but if you're anything like me, you'll watch all 22 minutes of it:

I love how he explains calibrated airspeed by "less air molecules going over the speed checker thing."

e: ahahaha he's just loving with fishing boats and airliners

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 11, 2015

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Worthleast posted:

Still wondering about the Hornet I saw land at KGEG with the same Jolly Roger tail.

They're based at Oceana, no idea why they'd be on the opposite coast.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Well the 552d Air Control Wing (AWACS) just celebrated its 60th anniversary, and the results are in: the EC-121 across the street from wing HQ is still leaking oil and hydraulic fluid.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Why are fluids still in it?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

holocaust bloopers posted:

It's like getting the last little bit of water out of a tire when it has been sitting outside for a while.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Well, when they parked it after it flew to Tinker under it's own power in 1985, they apparently forgot. But they supposedly drained everything a couple of years ago when they refreshed it after getting called out (I assume by the AEWA) for violating the AFI that requires maintenance of static displays. That was the big story at the time, they pulled a bunch of fuel and oil out of it. So yeah, seeing new pictures of it puddling up was kind of surprising.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Well, when they parked it after it flew to Tinker under it's own power in 1985, they apparently forgot. But they supposedly drained everything a couple of years ago when they refreshed it after getting called out (I assume by the AEWA) for violating the AFI that requires maintenance of static displays. That was the big story at the time, they pulled a bunch of fuel and oil out of it. So yeah, seeing new pictures of it puddling up was kind of surprising.

Often they keep fluids in display aircraft that have in-service relatives in case they have to salvage parts. They used to do this for display C-130s all the time. Against AFI, but it happens a lot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That flight was three years after the last Connie was retired from the Navy (this was actually a Navy EC-121K), and the AF parked them even earlier. But that still makes more sense than anything else I can come up with.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 11, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

pkells posted:

That was a really cool watch :golfclap: "...aaaaaaaand it's an airliner, we don't wanna go to close to him..."

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

pkells posted:

I love it. As an air traffic controller with the FAA, I'm surprised at how little of the lingo I understand being spoken between the pilot and their military ATC.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Cutting that a little close, eh?

http://i.imgur.com/ssodf5w.webm

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Duke Chin posted:

Cutting that a little close, eh?

http://i.imgur.com/ssodf5w.webm

Ground effect is wonderful :stare:

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Godholio posted:

There were also some very early tails that are functionally worthless. I think one was scheduled for destructive testing (shoot it and see what happens!) but was diverted to a museum a couple of years ago.

Not these. The Iyayas-looking Airforce dude mentioned that they were the last 2 off the line. 191 and 192.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Worthleast posted:

Not these. The Iyayas-looking Airforce dude mentioned that they were the last 2 off the line. 191 and 192.

The ones in the picture were just at the Boeing Museum for a show 'n' tell just over the weekend. They're flying back to Elmo, I assume today.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So yesterday i was sitting outside in the sun. There are a lot of small planes in the air because there's a small airfield nearby, its a sunday and the weathers really nice. Suddenly i hear like a sliding sound, a bang and a thud...wait a minute...couldn't i just hear two plane engines a minute ago? Now there's only one...
So yeah, someone crashed his plane into a garden less than a kilometer away...i just heard two people die :(

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I have a demo flight scheduled at a local school this Saturday, don't post things like that. Am clinging to the belief that plane crashes make for great news stories and general aviation is actually no more dangerous than riding a motorcycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
A bit of amusement thanks to Lufthansa and AVHerald:

AVHerald posted:

A Lufthansa Airbus A321-200, registration D-AISU performing flight LH-1305 from Istanbul (Turkey) to Frankfurt/Main (Germany), was climbing out of Istanbul's Ataturk Airport when the crew stopped the climb at FL240 due to unusual noises of barking dogs on board without any indication of a hydraulic problem. The crew decided to return to Istanbul for a safe landing about 55 minutes after departure.

The airline reported that the aircraft carried two dogs in the freight room, their container had not been properly lashed. The container was lashed properly and the aircraft departed again.

(Editorial note: a hydraulic failure affecting green or yellow system and activating the power transfer unit PTU usually is accompanied by a sound similar to barking dogs produced by the running PTU).