Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

noirstronaut posted:

i got a free zune from bing rewards and it was really awesome but then i sold it for an iphone 1
I've still got a pink 30GB Zune from that, but the software crashes on Windows 8 and 10, so it's not particularly useful at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

People need to get over Sticker Stars.

I know right. Sticker Star is my favorite Paper Mario game, but I can why people don't like it. But there no reason to treat it like the Sonic Boom of Paper Mario.

edit: and now I remember the godawful Sonic RPG.

Jarogue fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 11, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sticker Star was such a painfully boring game that I didn't even play past the second world

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Augus posted:

Sticker Star was such a painfully boring game that I didn't even play past the second world

Then you didn't fall in love with wiggler.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

elf help book posted:

That's the 3rd world. You just get to pick between them after beating the 1st.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I liked the part of Sticker Star where battles were completely pointless and the game was actually a really mediocre puzzle game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Motto posted:

I liked the part of Sticker Star where battles were completely pointless and the game was actually a really mediocre puzzle game.

I liked the part where all the environments and characters were the exact same as New Super Mario Bros.
Thanks Nintendo, I didn't need that entire reason I ever liked this series in the first place anyway.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jarogue posted:

I know right. Sticker Star is my favorite Paper Mario game

No, you're not allowed to have that opinion.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's the 3rd world. You just get to pick between them after beating the 1st.

Yes, I am saying that person did not play the 3rd world.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I just don't know how people go from "Sticker Star was mediocre" to "Miyamoto shouldn't be allowed to make games anymore".

I mean, that poo poo is weird, right?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Augus posted:

I liked the part where all the environments and characters were the exact same as New Super Mario Bros.
Thanks Nintendo, I didn't need that entire reason I ever liked this series in the first place anyway.

What the gently caress are you even talking about

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What the gently caress are you even talking about

The fact that Sticker Star's world themes are all completely bland and generic, and the characters are all pre-existing series staples. As opposed to previous games which introduced unique areas with new, memorable characters and enjoyable self-contained stories in every chapter.
I mean for gently caress's sakes, look at Rogueport. That area on it's own has more personality than anything I've seen in Sticker Star combined, and it's the first place you go to in the game.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I just don't know how people go from "Sticker Star was mediocre" to "Miyamoto shouldn't be allowed to make games anymore".

Obviously it's Miyamoto's fault that Sticker Star was bad, because his advice and guidance to the dev team was to not make it as wordy and plot heavy as Super Paper Mario, and not at all the fault of Intelligent Systems, the team that took that advice and made a bad game that happened to follow that advice in a way that was separated from what made the game bad. :downs:

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

elf help book posted:

That was my favorite chapter. Had a noir sounding level music, the wiggler diary, the boom box that had a small remix to Star maze from Super Mario Land, Sniffit or Whiffitit, Kersti having that moment in the spider web, and the Boss of the world.

Enigmansion and the boss' story in world 4 and the level with Petey Piranha was great too.

Oxxidation posted:

No, you're not allowed to have that opinion.

My 3DS has it listed as my favorite game now.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I certainly don't think that, but at this point I think Miyamoto shouldn't be given power over projects he's not personally directing or producing. People like Koizumi are perfectly capable of handling series like Mario on their own now without having Miyamoto hover over their shoulder.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Also they based the "no plot" directives off of club Nintendo surveys apparently, so that service was only ever used for evil. I think that's also the reason Dream Team was 24/7 tutorials.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Motto posted:

I certainly don't think that, but at this point I think Miyamoto shouldn't be given power over projects he's not personally directing or producing. People like Koizumi are perfectly capable of handling series like Mario on their own now.

The problem is that Miyamoto is a great video game designer, but he also has a pretty distinct style he always goes for. Having him be influential in too many projects makes everything in the company start to become homogenized

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Ometeotl posted:

Obviously it's Miyamoto's fault that Sticker Star was bad, because his advice and guidance to the dev team was to not make it as wordy and plot heavy as Super Paper Mario, and not at all the fault of Intelligent Systems, the team that took that advice and made a bad game that happened to follow that advice in a way that was separated from what made the game bad. :downs:

As far as I can tell from interviews Miyamoto doesn't really give "Advice and guidance", he just 'upends the tea table' or whatever the phrase they use is and tells the team to remake the game a certain way

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The company was restructured to imbue Miyamoto's design ethos into everything they do, that ship may have already sailed. Pretty much all their internal development is under EAD now.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Miyamoto should be allowed to ruin their games if he drat well wants. next topic

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I just beat Sticker Star like a week ago. It wasn't amazing but it was totally alright. I think it's not what a Paper Mario fan would have been looking for and people being disappointed about that is totally reasonable, but what it is is okay too and whenever it's brought up everyone acts like it's some crime against humanity when it's not. Basically what I'm saying is the internet's a bunch of whiny overreactive babies

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

At least the commercials are matching the "it came from the 90's" aesthetic of the actual game, I guess. Play It LoudTM!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

absolutely anything posted:

Basically what I'm saying is the internet's a bunch of whiny overreactive babies

?
?!
?!?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This Miyamoto hack sounds like a real piece of work. Time to get a real game designer in here instead of this amateur

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
More like Miyamotaintreaped

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Miyamoto is real good at making games, but isn't so good at decisions regarding other people's games.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The company was restructured to imbue Miyamoto's design ethos into everything they do, that ship may have already sailed. Pretty much all their internal development is under EAD now.

Which I think is part of the problem as to why people have been drifting away from the company. They still have a decent-sized library of good games, but the variety on first-party titles is wavering quite a bit. More of the games are fitting the same "minimal plot, popping colors, lighthearted tone" mold. Series like Metroid and F-Zero may not have been as popular, but they helped to round out the game library to be all-around more inclusive, if you wanted a dark atmospheric space opera you could get that from Nintendo, if you wanted a frantic racer that was only for the truly dedicated players, you could get that too.

Hell, Tropical Freeze was a fantastic and challenging platformer, but even that went for brighter colors and bouncier themes than its SNES brethren.

Nintendo too busy trying to make games that anyone could play, rather than a repertoire of games that anyone could find something that appeals to them in.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

raditts posted:

At least the commercials are matching the "it came from the 90's" aesthetic of the actual game, I guess. Play It LoudTM!

This is more fitting than you think, to promote Donkey Kong Country and "PLAY IT LOUD" they actually held events at colleges where you'd show up in a bathing suit and get splattered with paint. Then people would get scored on how colorful/covered in paint they got.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think Nintendo is still doing that, but now the less inclusive games are either given to other teams at Nintendo (Monolith, XenoX), or made through working with other companies like Platinum and Atlus.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
US dudes, Fry's has the 32GB Mario 3D World/Nintendo Land console bundle for $250: http://www.frys.com/product/8270146

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

Nintendo too busy trying to make games that anyone could play, rather than a repertoire of games that anyone could find something that appeals to them in.

That really doesn't mesh with sales numbers and franchise popularity at all, no.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

I just beat Sticker Star like a week ago. It wasn't amazing but it was totally alright. I think it's not what a Paper Mario fan would have been looking for and people being disappointed about that is totally reasonable, but what it is is okay too and whenever it's brought up everyone acts like it's some crime against humanity when it's not. Basically what I'm saying is the internet's a bunch of whiny overreactive babies

It always makes me think Paper Mario fans are angry crazy people.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The thing to remember about F-Zero in particular is that it's not a franchise they ran into the ground or treated as a weird experimental playground like Starfox - they kept putting out fun, no-bullshit racing games that improved with every entry but fewer people bought each one, so it got to the point where they had to innovate or just move on, and I think they made the right call.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Augus posted:

Which I think is part of the problem as to why people have been drifting away from the company. They still have a decent-sized library of good games, but the variety on first-party titles is wavering quite a bit. More of the games are fitting the same "minimal plot, popping colors, lighthearted tone" mold. Series like Metroid and F-Zero may not have been as popular, but they helped to round out the game library to be all-around more inclusive, if you wanted a dark atmospheric space opera you could get that from Nintendo, if you wanted a frantic racer that was only for the truly dedicated players, you could get that too.

Hell, Tropical Freeze was a fantastic and challenging platformer, but even that went for brighter colors and bouncier themes than its SNES brethren.

They published Bayonetta 2 last year lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've found that when people say "I want more variety," what they really are trying to say is "I am uncomfortable with brightly colored games, I want something violent so I don't feel like someone will make fun of me for playing a children's game."

This is also why this argument pops up a lot online among more nerd-oriented websites where people get absurdly self-conscious about what they play and enjoy, whereas the average person doesn't actually have time to worry what xXxGokuWeed47xXx is going to say about Mario Kart 8, they just want to play it during their free time.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The thing to remember about F-Zero in particular is that it's not a franchise they ran into the ground or treated as a weird experimental playground like Starfox - they kept putting out fun, no-bullshit racing games that improved with every entry but fewer people bought each one, so it got to the point where they had to innovate or just move on, and I think they made the right call.

Honestly, they just need to take Mario Kart, make a 250cc mode, and you're close enough to F-Zero with items to be good enough. They've already got the Blue Falcon in there, so it's not even that far off. They could just add Captain Falcon and maybe some of his buds and there you go. And I guarantee you this hypothetical Mario Kart 9 would sell better than all the previous F-Zero games combined. Names do that.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I kinda want a new baseball game from Nintendo.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Due to people wanting more story in their Paper Mario games, the new Paper Mario will be written by David Cage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
We Already had a Paper Mario scene where Peach takes a shower and is spied on by a computer, what could David Cage bring to the table?

• Locked thread